ARTICLE: Peacock-Farrell gets international call

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

ARTICLE: Peacock-Farrell gets international call

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 26, 2021 3:36 pm

BPF in Norn Iron squad for two friendlies

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/peacock-fa ... ional-call

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Re: ARTICLE: Peacock-Farrell gets international call

Post by CleggHall » Wed May 26, 2021 5:00 pm

Good, hope it goes well for him after a difficult few weeks.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill evensteadiereddie

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed May 26, 2021 5:26 pm

Good luck to the lad.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed May 26, 2021 9:33 pm

Hope he does well and gets some confidence back after a difficult spell, though it must be said Malta and Ukraine aren't easy games for him or NI.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 30, 2021 5:32 pm

He's not had a lot to do yet, about half an hour gone and NI lead 1-0 thanks to Jordan Jones in just the 2nd minute after Malta were caught out playing out from the back, and NI have also seen a Josh Magennis penalty saved.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 30, 2021 5:51 pm

Well BPF has kept a clean sheet at HT, however he's also had a couple of nervy moments when Malta could have punished him, thankfully they've fluffed those chances and it's still 1-0 to NI at the break.

I don't what was in Northern Ireland's coffee at HT, but they've come out a different team, and now lead 3-0 after 2 quickfire goals.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 30, 2021 7:10 pm

All over a comfortable 3-0 win for NI in the end, and the most important thing from a Burnley perspective is that Bailey kept a clean sheet, hopefully that will do his confidence the world of good going forwards, however should he be selected for Thursday's encounter with the Ukraine he'll be an awful lot busier than he was tonight.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun May 30, 2021 8:49 pm

I'm afraid that what he does for NI will have little or no bearing on his contributions for us. Just doesn't look up to what is required at the level we are currently at.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 30, 2021 9:06 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:49 pm
I'm afraid that what he does for NI will have little or no bearing on his contributions for us. Just doesn't look up to what is required at the level we are currently at.
Sadly I'm inclined to agree with you, he hasn't had many Burnley appearances, but the handful of times he ahs played he has shipped goals, and unfortunately he just doesn't look like improving anytime soon, and it's not like he was that cheap either we coughed up £3.5m to Leeds, and on the evidence thus far they appear to have had our trousers down with that fee, obviously he's not going to be of the same standard as Nick Pope, but you at least expect your 2nd string keeper to have basic competence, and even that seems beyond BPF alas.

Even in today's game he was fortunate that his errors went unpunished, but that probably wouldn't have been the case in a PL game, and we'd have likely shipped at least a couple of goals, now whether we can move on either BPF or Norris is open to debate, but ideally we should be looking to try and get at least one of them out the door, as it doesn't bear thinking about how we'd cope if Pope was sold or injured for a lengthy period.

I had hoped that Billy Mercer would have worked his magic with our back-up keepers, but even his famed talents don't appear to have had the desired impact we might have wished, so we face a real dilemma in this next widow, because should we want to recruit another keeper we'll need to clear the decks of one of our existing keepers, but I can't see their being much interest in either BPF or Norris at Championship level even, and if we want to recoup most of our outgoings we'd really need to be selling to a Championship club.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun May 30, 2021 9:14 pm

I’d keep BPF who for a keeper is still young and learning. Going to be hard for the club to manage expectations in this regard after having Heaton and Pope in the same squad.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun May 30, 2021 9:47 pm

BPF and Norris don't have the attributes required to play in the Premier league. It's harsh but unfortunately true. When Nick Pope came on for his debut replacing Tom Heaton he coped straight away. He still has flaws,no doubt, but not when it comes to competency.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun May 30, 2021 11:49 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:47 pm
BPF and Norris don't have the attributes required to play in the Premier league. It's harsh but unfortunately true. When Nick Pope came on for his debut replacing Tom Heaton he coped straight away. He still has flaws,no doubt, but not when it comes to competency.
I've always respected your posts, but...
Can't you just get off this lad's back?
Can you not accept that some goalkeepers (any players, really) develop at different speeds?
Can you please stop using the exceptional Nick Pope as a benchmark for a 2nd choice goalkeeper?
Have you already forgotten how disorganised we looked with the highly experienced Joe Hart standing in?
These 3 users liked this post: dsr ClaretAL GodIsADeeJay81

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon May 31, 2021 1:37 pm

I imagine he has broad enough shoulders to take negative comments from a fans' forum. You are right saying that Nick Pope was an exceptionally talented '2nd choice keeper'. We've been spoilt over a number of years in that position and so expect that standard to be maintained. Ultimately, what I think or say is of absolutely no significance at all to the future of any player. The decisions lay with those that get paid to make them. I hope I'm proved inadequately wrong and BPF goes on to have a wonderfully successful career. In the end I'm just a long-serving punter with a brain still just about functioning well enough to offer no more than an opinion now and then. I genuinely am not on here to stir up other people's emotions.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon May 31, 2021 9:16 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 1:37 pm
I imagine he has broad enough shoulders to take negative comments from a fans' forum. You are right saying that Nick Pope was an exceptionally talented '2nd choice keeper'. We've been spoilt over a number of years in that position and so expect that standard to be maintained. Ultimately, what I think or say is of absolutely no significance at all to the future of any player. The decisions lay with those that get paid to make them. I hope I'm proved inadequately wrong and BPF goes on to have a wonderfully successful career. In the end I'm just a long-serving punter with a brain still just about functioning well enough to offer no more than an opinion now and then. I genuinely am not on here to stir up other people's emotions.
The breadth of his shoulders is irrelevant as i doubt he reads this forum, and if he did he'd probably just laugh at the stupidity of posts writing him off.
But consider this: he is second choice behind a very good goalkeeper and could be for seasons to come, wouldn't it be better to look at the positives such as his potential to improve?
Let's face it, if he was as good as NP right now one of them wouldn't be at BFC.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon May 31, 2021 10:50 pm

BPF is younger now, at 24yrs 7 months, than Nick Pope was when he made his Premier League debut at 25 years and 5 months.
After making just 4 cup appearances in 2016/17, Nick made his debut in 2017/18 and played 35 PL matches in a great season.
He then played just 3 cup matches in 2018/19 before his return in 2019/20 when he had a great season and has continued with good displays since then.

BPF was just 24 years and 1 month when he made his PL debut this season at Manchester City. He has played just 4 matches, which we have lost and conceded 14 goals. I do not think that it is fair to judge a keeper on a handful of matches, particularly in what has been a very strange season.

He is still a young man who has time to improve with the help of Billy Mercer.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie GodIsADeeJay81

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon May 31, 2021 10:54 pm

Did Pope shine before he got his run in the team?

I'm assuming he must have played some cup games but I don't remember anything about them.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:43 am

aggi wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:54 pm
Did Pope shine before he got his run in the team?

I'm assuming he must have played some cup games but I don't remember anything about them.
Just the one goal conceded in that horrendous game at Accy.
Two pretty dreadful ties v Sunderland and the game where Josh Brownhill got a great view of Defour’s goal of the decade contender.

Hope Peacock-Farrell proves people wrong but I’ve seen nothing from him here or at Leeds to suggest he’s good enough.
Being dropped for Norris isn’t the best sign either.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:28 am

As I alluded to earlier, it's just the opinions of different people with one thing in common; we all hope to see our players and team succeed. There's no vendetta going on.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:47 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:50 pm
BPF is younger now, at 24yrs 7 months, than Nick Pope was when he made his Premier League debut at 25 years and 5 months.
After making just 4 cup appearances in 2016/17, Nick made his debut in 2017/18 and played 35 PL matches in a great season.
He then played just 3 cup matches in 2018/19 before his return in 2019/20 when he had a great season and has continued with good displays since then.

BPF was just 24 years and 1 month when he made his PL debut this season at Manchester City. He has played just 4 matches, which we have lost and conceded 14 goals. I do not think that it is fair to judge a keeper on a handful of matches, particularly in what has been a very strange season.

He is still a young man who has time to improve with the help of Billy Mercer.
We all hope BPF can start showing improvement under Billy Mercer, however he's now been at Burnley for almost 2 years, and there's no evident upturn in his game, so how long do we wait for him to show he's up to the task of performing in the PL on a regular basis, my fear is what happens if Nick Pope is sold or picks up an injury once the window shuts, I'm afraid we can't afford to experiment at this level as there's too much at stake regarding crucial PL points up for grabs.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:16 pm

I still find it strange that Norris played the last two games of the season ahead of him.

Not meaning to start any rumours but I wonder if something was said or maybe the management made a decision, perhaps? I don't buy the 'taking him out fo the firing line' theory. I'm sure he would have been extremely keen to play as much as possible - especially in games where there was no pressure.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:57 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:47 pm
We all hope BPF can start showing improvement under Billy Mercer, however he's now been at Burnley for almost 2 years, and there's no evident upturn in his game, so how long do we wait for him to show he's up to the task of performing in the PL on a regular basis, my fear is what happens if Nick Pope is sold or picks up an injury once the window shuts, I'm afraid we can't afford to experiment at this level as there's too much at stake regarding crucial PL points up for grabs.
I really don't know what we should be expecting.
Second choice GK is difficult as they don't get competitive games, this may be a greater problem with some than others.
Also I get the impression that our first choice 11 is particularly difficult for any newcomer to break into. Our shape and tactics have been built up around a very small, you could say "select" group.
But i'd question one comment: you say there's no evident upturn in BPF's form, but how could there be? He doesn't really have any form for you to base that on. :)

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:42 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:57 pm
I really don't know what we should be expecting.
Second choice GK is difficult as they don't get competitive games, this may be a greater problem with some than others.
Also I get the impression that our first choice 11 is particularly difficult for any newcomer to break into. Our shape and tactics have been built up around a very small, you could say "select" group.
But i'd question one comment: you say there's no evident upturn in BPF's form, but how could there be? He doesn't really have any form for you to base that on. :)
2nd choice keeper is always difficult, particularly at a club like Burnley where we don't have that many cup games to give our 2nd string a run out.

But surely this is what training sessions are for to incorporate our reserves for want of a better term into the system and tactics, so that if and when they're called upon for any reason they'll be able to fit seamlessly into the XI.

However on what little evidence we've seen of BPF he looks vulnerable on cross balls, and his shot stopping is to be desired, now there might be mitigating circumstances to explain the amount of goals he's shipped in his handful of Burnley appearances, but it can't be denied that our record when he's played is poor, indeed we've lost all 4 PL matches that he's started this season, and it was telling that he was dropped for our last 2 league games in favour of Norris despite supposedly being our number 2 keeper.

Now I'll ask you a :?: would you be happy to see him line up in our opening league game come August, because if he did I'd be worried about how our season was heading unfortunately. And this is why we need to hope Nick comes back from his op fully recovered, and he remains at BFC for at least one more season anyway, as either of the alternatives would give me chills if they were between the sticks.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:47 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:42 pm
2nd choice keeper is always difficult, particularly at a club like Burnley where we don't have that many cup games to give our 2nd string a run out.

But surely this is what training sessions are for to incorporate our reserves for want of a better term into the system and tactics, so that if and when they're called upon for any reason they'll be able to fit seamlessly into the XI.

However on what little evidence we've seen of BPF he looks vulnerable on cross balls, and his shot stopping is to be desired, now there might be mitigating circumstances to explain the amount of goals he's shipped in his handful of Burnley appearances, but it can't be denied that our record when he's played is poor, indeed we've lost all 4 PL matches that he's started this season, and it was telling that he was dropped for our last 2 league games in favour of Norris despite supposedly being our number 2 keeper.

Now I'll ask you a :?: would you be happy to see him line up in our opening league game come August, because if he did I'd be worried about how our season was heading unfortunately. And this is why we need to hope Nick comes back from his op fully recovered, and he remains at BFC for at least one more season anyway, as either of the alternatives would give me chills if they were between the sticks.

Quite honestly, if Joe Hart with all his experience couldn't do it then Bailey PF hasn't a prayer.
i think it would require a tactical shift for almost any goalkeeper to slot in.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:51 pm

Oddly I’ve always thought BPF looks decent .Modern keeper template , good feet ,quick ,athletic, experienced international and trains with some of the best in the business ie Pope and Mercer . Perhaps he’s a little too over enthusiastic in his anticipation but was unlucky we were utter gash in most games he played . Keepers have a funny old life ,the great Brazilian Julio Cesar couldn’t get a game for QPR in the championship few yrs back when we played em.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:40 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:47 pm
Quite honestly, if Joe Hart with all his experience couldn't do it then Bailey PF hasn't a prayer.
i think it would require a tactical shift for almost any goalkeeper to slot in.
What sort of tactical shift do you suggest? Is it one where the outfield players must adapt to the requirements of the goalkeeper?

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:02 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:40 pm
What sort of tactical shift do you suggest? Is it one where the outfield players must adapt to the requirements of the goalkeeper?
in some way, yes.
very few keepers command the box as well as NP so there would be some difference with a new keeper.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:41 pm

BPF in action for Ni tonight in Ukraine, it's 1-0 to the hosts, but without Bailey's heroics it would be more, he's pulled off a couple of blinding saves, and he had no chance with the goal.
These 5 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Claret Till I Die The Enclosure mkmel WiscoClaret

Sarum
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 323 times

Post by Sarum » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:19 pm

Quote from BBC Sport live update:

"Daniel Ballard blocks Andriy Yarmolenko's strike, who really should have had a hat-trick before Peacock-Farrell again comes to the rescue to claw the ball away from the lunging Besedin on the rebound.

He's been very strong between the sticks. "

Well played, Bails.
This user liked this post: WiscoClaret

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:24 pm

Good for him. Hope he proves me and the others very wrong. Keep it up lad.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 694 times
Has Liked: 600 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:27 pm

I don't think we should be writing him off just yet, more game time will prove whether good enough.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:03 pm

Sarum wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:19 pm
Quote from BBC Sport live update:

"Daniel Ballard blocks Andriy Yarmolenko's strike, who really should have had a hat-trick before Peacock-Farrell again comes to the rescue to claw the ball away from the lunging Besedin on the rebound.

He's been very strong between the sticks. "

Well played, Bails.
He did make some very good saves.
Funny though, I've been defending him throughout this thread however I think Pope would have collected the cross from which Ukraine scored.
Like our esteemed manager says "fine margins" :D

Billyblah
Been Liked: 165 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:37 pm

People need to put things in perspective. His debut was against Man City and with subsequent games against tough Premiership teams and sometimes with a patched up defence protecting him.
He had previously had a good game for NI against Germany and most recently against Ukraine.Like all young players, he needs protracted game time to really find his feet. Unfortunately the goalkeeper position doesn't often allow that.
These 4 users liked this post: boatshed bill tiger76 Leisure bfcjg

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:56 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:03 pm
He did make some very good saves.
Funny though, I've been defending him throughout this thread however I think Pope would have collected the cross from which Ukraine scored.
Like our esteemed manager says "fine margins" :D
Well I haven't seen the Ukraine goal, but from reading the reports his central defenders didn't exactly hope Bailey out in that instance.

Look I've criticised the lad also, but I guess this just shows how good NP actually is, and it's only when he's absent that we realise how spoilt we are to have such a top class keeper.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:13 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:56 pm
Well I haven't seen the Ukraine goal, but from reading the reports his central defenders didn't exactly hope Bailey out in that instance.

Look I've criticised the lad also, but I guess this just shows how good NP actually is, and it's only when he's absent that we realise how spoilt we are to have such a top class keeper.
The fact that I think NP would have claimed it is not a criticism of BPF.
i could say exactly the same about the incident where Pickford came for a high ball against Austria, NP would have caught it, no problem.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:23 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:13 pm
i could say exactly the same about the incident where Pickford came for a high ball against Austria, NP would have caught it, no problem.
No I was aware of that, and as I said this shows how grateful we should be to be able to count on Nick to come and command his area, this doesn't half ese the pressure on a defence when a goalie takes charge of these situations.

If Pickford doesn't drop a clanger during the Euro's I'll be surprised, and he was lucky in the Austria game that he was rescued by the clearance off the line in the dying minutes, however the more clinical teams won't squander their opportunities should England present such gifts.

So I wouldn't write off Nick Pope's international prospects just because he's sadly missing the Euro's, he's got plenty of years in him yet, and if he continues performing at such a consistent level GS or whoever is the England manager won't have any option but to select him, I only hope that if he is picked in a future England squad he's still a Burnley player at that time.
This user liked this post: SalisburyClaret

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:42 pm

He seems to be either picking the ball out of the net or pulling off world class looking saves, doesn't make much look basic, very erratic.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:33 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:42 pm
He seems to be either picking the ball out of the net or pulling off world class looking saves, doesn't make much look basic, very erratic.
If you are referring to our keeper I agree, some technical stuff needs a bit of work. i'm sure our coaching staff can iron some of that out.
if you are referring to Pickford...no chance :D

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:09 pm

A little bit of perspective in all this.
Nick Pope made his debut in the PL in 2017/18 aged 25 years 5 months and played 35 games in a good season. He then only played 3 games in the next season because of his injury. He returned in 2019/20 and has held his position with a lot of credit ever since then.
Bailey Peacock- Farrell was thrown into the PL for his first game aged 24 years 1 month, against Manchester City away this season. He has only played the 4 games, the one mentioned previously, the Newcastle game which, had we taken our chances we should have been out of sight. Manchester United who were on an excellent run at the time and then Leeds which, from a team point of view left a lot to be desired!

Nick is now 29 years old whilst Bailey is just 24 and a half and has played a handful of games in the past two seasons.
Yes Nick is an excellent keeper, however, I think that, given the circumstances, it is unfair to write Bailey off at the moment.

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:09 am

I don’t know what it is about him but I just don’t feel confident in any way with him between the sticks. He doesn’t have a commanding presence at all and reminds me in many ways of Danny Coyne in terms of stature - he just isn’t an imposing keeper. Coyne made up for it with his athleticism, BP-F as yet doesn’t seem to have that.

Early days though, I’m not writing him off yet and hoping that the Norris thing was just to give him some fitness and to get some match time knowing Pope was due surgery that could of course result in a longer spell out than at first thought.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:12 am

Cheshireclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:09 am
I don’t know what it is about him but I just don’t feel confident in any way with him between the sticks. He doesn’t have a commanding presence at all and reminds me in many ways of Danny Coyne in terms of stature - he just isn’t an imposing keeper. Coyne made up for it with his athleticism, BP-F as yet doesn’t seem to have that.

I can't think why he reminds you of Danny Coyne, He's 4 inches taller than Coyne who, I believe, was 30 years old with a wealth of experience behind him when he signed for Burnley

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:18 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:13 pm
Pickford hasn't got the arms for a high ball
EO1lv-HXkAE-9qR.jpg
EO1lv-HXkAE-9qR.jpg (33.5 KiB) Viewed 1584 times

Bigvince
Been Liked: 930 times
Has Liked: 698 times

Post by Bigvince » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:22 am

I don’t know what people are expecting, if it’s us replacing Nick Pope ( if he leaves) with a keeper of the same standard as him they’ll be seriously disappointed. IMHO there isn’t a keeper in the country that commands his area like Nick, and he’s as good a shot stopper as anybody else in the league, the only downside to his game is with his feet, I think BPF has the potential to replace Nick, although he’ll never be as good at claiming those high balls into the box!