Dyche to sign new contract !

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Re: Dyche to sign new contract !

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:14 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:07 am
Maybe your sarcasm was sustaining it.

Last season was a painful watch. If you don't think our poor recruitment held us back last season we must have been watching different teams.

The gaffer had little to no tactical freedom. It was a case of if you are fit you are playing. The team practically picked itself. Out on the pitch his tactical changes ( given the options on our bench ) amounted to bring a player off 10 minutes before the end to reduce the stress placed on them and boost their recovery time. Through no fault of his own he had nothing to work with.

The season before last we practically crawled over the line. Our players were spent. All of us appreciated the heroic effort that they put in and the magnificent result they achieved. What happened after that was a travesty. Instead of being re-enforced they were expected to do the same again ( with fewer resources ) and make it to the Winter window. When that window arrived they were expected to make it to the end of the season. No loans, nothing.

What the team achieved was legendary. I honestly didn't expect them to have enough to make it to the end. When I say the team I mean everyone ( except the recruitment team ). The lads did fantastic, the playing staff did fantastic, the gaffer did fantastic and the Medical Team did fantastic. I mention the latter because keeping our small squad of veteran players on the pitch and helping them to perform at such a high standard was a product of careful management and considerable planning. We definitely had our fair share of injuries ( in no small part because our players have more miles on their clocks ), just fielding a competitive team was a monumental achievement.

Our bench consisted of development players, who were needed for those rest a player substitutions. Granted they did pick up some experience from being around things, but they would have got far more experience out on loan playing week in and week out. The small number of players we had to work with denied them that.

Last season wasn't a performance that signified forward progression it was a valiant rear guard struggle. I agree with Dyche that it was our most challenging season to date and the greatest performance of our team in recent years. It was a stubborn never say die product born out of a desperate need - in which everyone rose to the challenge and picked up the slack resulting from our poor recruitment in the last 5 windows.

If you think we are currently in good shape, look again, because we have a massive amount of work to do.
I agree with some parts of your post. I just don’t understand what you expect to change. We arnt going to start throwing money at players. I would wager we will invest very similar amounts over the next 5 years as we have the previous 5.
We are in a worst position now than we were before the takeover.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:16 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:10 pm
Ah now that's slightly different to just saying players.

Our wage bill has increased annually and that's always the biggest outlay and also where majority of the TV money goes.
I think it stands at 80% ish.

During the last 5 yrs we've done well on sales, spent money on infrastructure and stadium upgrades where required and yes agents fees and bonuses.

For the money we spend, our return on player investment has actually been pretty good when we look at clubs around us with higher wages and net spends.
Brighton's is approx £200 million over the same period and I can confidently state they aren't getting value for money there.
Yes that’s what I was getting at. We have spent massive sums of money on footballers over the years. Think some fans forget it’s not just transfer fees.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:22 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:14 pm
I agree with some parts of your post. I just don’t understand what you expect to change. We arnt going to start throwing money at players. I would wager we will invest very similar amounts over the next 5 years as we have the previous 5.
We are in a worst position now than we were before the takeover.
Not sure how you know we are in a worse position, Dyche appears happier, a contract has been agreed, just needs him to hurry and bloody sign it.
The owners are moving things forward in many areas.
This user liked this post: Raggus

Raggus
Been Liked: 61 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Raggus » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:24 pm

That's not what you said though, you said we had spent 550m on players. In actual fact the club has spent circa 550m on everything, from the infrastructure to the players and everything in between. That's a hell of a lot different to 550m on players.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:32 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:22 pm
Not sure how you know we are in a worse position, Dyche appears happier, a contract has been agreed, just needs him to hurry and bloody sign it.
The owners are moving things forward in many areas.
True but in my opinion having owners that were forced out of other sport enterprises due to debt isn’t exactly better than the position we were in.

Let’s see what happens but I would say as things stand right now we are 100% in a worse position than 12 months ago.

We didn’t have any debt and now we have considerable debt. Nothing else has changed for the better.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 497 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:35 pm

Spijed wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:41 am
Regardless of our recruitment it's sheer fantasy to think we'll be anything other than a club fighting relegation.

Anyone who thinks you can have a long term life in the Prem is an idiot.
But we haven't always just fought for relegation, we've finished in a Europa spot and a top ten finish.

Anyone who thinks you can have a long term life in the prem *without investing in the squad* is an idiot.

I dont think it's outlandish to think that with Dyche and some good recruitment we could be a mid table side.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:42 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:56 am
It does beg the question about what the fitness team are doing, though. We played 38 league games plus a few half-hearted cup games last season, so if the players were spent, then perhaps their fitness needs improving. Coyle's team played 61 games in 2008-09, and I think 10 of the players played in over 50 matches. We shouldn't be looking on 38 as a stretch for any player.
Others have pointed out the increased physical demands placed on the squad in season before last, so I won't go into that.

I think it is also fair to point out that the game has changed a lot since 2008/09. It has become quicker, with faster and more frequent bursts of intensive sprinting. When we signed Crouch we were told that the stats validated his ability to perform. He was never reliant on pace so his game suffered less than other forwards in respect to advancing age. However, while he didn't get any slower all the players he was competing against had got a lot quicker - which reduced his effectiveness. The playing environment changed and it made his style of play obsolete.

We had a bigger squad in 2008/09 and we had a much younger squad. The physical demands of the game were far less intense during that time. Advances in nutritional knowledge, younger players and different playing styles have all had an impact. The speed of play between the Championship and the Premier League is also very different ( creating a more demanding physical and mental challenge ). I recall Josh Brownhill being surprised at the difference in the speed of play when he first arrived and a big part of his adjustment has been adapting to that.

https://sciencenordic.com/denmark-footb ... ly/1440511

https://barcainnovationhub.com/training ... er-league/

Performing at an elite physical and mental level every week is a very difficult thing to do. Sometimes we forget that and fail to appreciate the demands being placed on our players. The cumulative effect of that constant physical and mental exertion over time can have a huge impact on their ability to perform at the highest level.

To quote Indiana Jones " it's not the years honey it's the mileage ".

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:44 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:07 am
Maybe your sarcasm was sustaining it.

Last season was a painful watch. If you don't think our poor recruitment held us back last season we must have been watching different teams.

The gaffer had little to no tactical freedom. It was a case of if you are fit you are playing. The team practically picked itself. Out on the pitch his tactical changes ( given the options on our bench ) amounted to bring a player off 10 minutes before the end to reduce the stress placed on them and boost their recovery time. Through no fault of his own he had nothing to work with.

The season before last we practically crawled over the line. Our players were spent. All of us appreciated the heroic effort that they put in and the magnificent result they achieved. What happened after that was a travesty. Instead of being re-enforced they were expected to do the same again ( with fewer resources ) and make it to the Winter window. When that window arrived they were expected to make it to the end of the season. No loans, nothing.

What the team achieved was legendary. I honestly didn't expect them to have enough to make it to the end. When I say the team I mean everyone ( except the recruitment team ). The lads did fantastic, the playing staff did fantastic, the gaffer did fantastic and the Medical Team did fantastic. I mention the latter because keeping our small squad of veteran players on the pitch and helping them to perform at such a high standard was a product of careful management and considerable planning. We definitely had our fair share of injuries ( in no small part because our players have more miles on their clocks ), just fielding a competitive team was a monumental achievement.

Our bench consisted of development players, who were needed for those rest a player substitutions. Granted they did pick up some experience from being around things, but they would have got far more experience out on loan playing week in and week out. The small number of players we had to work with denied them that.

Last season wasn't a performance that signified forward progression it was a valiant rear guard struggle. I agree with Dyche that it was our most challenging season to date and the greatest performance of our team in recent years. It was a stubborn never say die product born out of a desperate need - in which everyone rose to the challenge and picked up the slack resulting from our poor recruitment in the last 5 windows.

If you think we are currently in good shape, look again, because we have a massive amount of work to do.
great to see you posting again LTL - people might not like what you say but the board is a better forum for discussion for the effort you commit to your posts.
This user liked this post: mkmel

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:47 pm

Being transfer season - it is probably useful to roll out this article again as the usual myths are starting to be repeated

The Guardian August 2016 - Transfer window: exposing the widely held myths about how clubs sign players

https://www.theguardian.com/football/th ... rket-myths

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:47 pm

Those wanting to know or arguing over how much the clubs spent on players while in the Premier League - will find some answers here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55090&start=219
Last edited by Chester Perry on Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Raggus
Been Liked: 61 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Raggus » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:05 pm

[quote="Chester Perry" post_id=1576894 time=1623332857 user_id=2471]
Those wanting to know or arguing over how much the clubs spent on players while in the Premier League - will find some answers here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55090&start=220
[/quote]

5 pages to scroll through there Chester, could you not just tell us 😊

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:19 pm

Raggus wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:05 pm
5 pages to scroll through there Chester, could you not just tell us 😊
I have changed the link it should take you there now
This user liked this post: Raggus

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:08 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:47 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55090&start=219
Sadly the forum doesn't let you link to a specific post like that. Only a page in 50 post denominations.
Using the thread you linked as an example a suffix between 200 and 249 will always send you to page 5 (5x50=250) whilst page 4 would be in the 150 and 199 range.

To link a specific post you still have to copy the little note to the left of said post. Here's the correct link in this case:
viewtopic.php?p=1570139#p1570139

It's a tiny little note to the left.

It's a shame links to posts can't be more logical. When you link to a specific post the post numbers are total posts instead of posts in that thread.

So your post linked about money spent was in total the 1570139th in total on the forum.

It would be great if the forum admin could transfer us to a more modern platform so linking, bookmarking etc doesn't have to be so rudimentary.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:30 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:08 pm
Sadly the forum doesn't let you link to a specific post like that. Only a page in 50 post denominations.
Using the thread you linked as an example a suffix between 200 and 249 will always send you to page 5 (5x50=250) whilst page 4 would be in the 150 and 199 range.

To link a specific post you still have to copy the little note to the left of said post. Here's the correct link in this case:
viewtopic.php?p=1570139#p1570139

It's a tiny little note to the left.

It's a shame links to posts can't be more logical. When you link to a specific post the post numbers are total posts instead of posts in that thread.

So your post linked about money spent was in total the 1570139th in total on the forum.

It would be great if the forum admin could transfer us to a more modern platform so linking, bookmarking etc doesn't have to be so rudimentary.
That was very helpful thank you - and I agree with what you said

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:33 pm

Nathan on Twitter reckons Dyche has signed till 2026 , whoever Nathan is 🤷‍♂️

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:43 pm

I know SD was on a bonus if we avoided relegation. Were the team on one too ??

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:46 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:43 pm
every year - that is very well known - total bonus for 2019/20 looked around £15m

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:37 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:46 pm
every year - that is very well known - total bonus for 2019/20 looked around £15m
Thank you for the info Chester Perry

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:43 pm

joey13 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:33 pm
I hope he'll be revealing more exclusives during the transfer window.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:52 pm

joey13 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:33 pm
Nathan Phillips?

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:19 pm

Nathan Jones? Good to see him back

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:29 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:19 pm
Nathan Jones? Good to see him back
Been a while, hasn’t it.

Claretjug
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by Claretjug » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:21 pm

Is Nathan on Twitter related To Claire on Facebook?

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:26 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:43 pm
So narrowly avoiding relegation (17th, not points total) is worth £15m on top of wages for the squad and whoever else?
Little wonder there's little in the transfer kitty!

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:31 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:26 pm
So narrowly avoiding relegation (17th, not points total) is worth £15m on top of wages for the squad and whoever else?
The £15m wasn't mentioned in the context of the season just gone. In any case, I think a generous bonus structure based on PL and league position is a good and prudent approach.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:33 pm

taio wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:31 pm
The £15m wasn't mentioned in the context of the season just gone. In any case, I think a generous bonus structure based on PL and league position is a good and prudent approach.
you are right on both counts

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:43 pm

taio wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:31 pm
I think it rewards mediocrity.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:43 pm
Is keeping Burnley in the Premier League for all these years, mediocre?

Presumably the bonus was even bigger when we achieved a place in Europe - thus rewarding further success.
Last edited by DCWat on Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:05 pm

Maybe that's why the players and manager seemed to down tools this year as soon as soon as our survival bonus was guaranteed?
Last edited by jrgbfc on Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:20 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
I think it has given us the ability to sign players who may not have signed without such a package, while mitigating financial risks to the club in the event of relegation.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:49 pm

DCWat wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 pm
Is keeping Burnley in the Premier League for all these years, mediocre?

Presumably the bonus was even bigger when we achieved a place in Europe - thus rewarding further success.
They get paid a ridiculous amount of money to do their job properly.
I would say that their bonus, and incentive, would be to be able to command the same or better for the next season.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:05 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
We finished 10th. £15m between the whole squad as a bonus seems fair enough in this day and age.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:11 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:05 pm
We finished 10th. £15m between the whole squad as a bonus seems fair enough in this day and age.
Yes, I could justify it for 10th.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:16 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:26 pm
It’s well known that our wages are not top PL level but our bonus structure is what gets players to sign. You can’t have it all ways. I’m quite happy for the guys that have kept us up in a weird season to get the bonus. They earned it.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:21 pm

minnieclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:16 pm
It’s well known that our wages are not top PL level but our bonus structure is what gets players to sign. You can’t have it all ways. I’m quite happy for the guys that have kept us up in a weird season to get the bonus. They earned it.
Fair enough.
But if 17th is the benchmark for success then that's as likely the best it gets.
2 seasons we've not been too hot, but the players (most of whom would never get another shot at PL football if we went down) are paid bonuses for maintaining their status.
I'd have thought maintaining their status (and the PL wage) would be a bonus in its own right

milkcrate_mosh
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by milkcrate_mosh » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:55 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:21 pm
2 seasons we've not been too hot, but the players (most of whom would never get another shot at PL football if we went down)
We were 20 points clear of the relegation zone in 2019/2020 and equalled our highest ever premier league points tally.

Someone earlier on here suggested we'd limped over the line that year as well, in all the negativity about this season have we forgotten the one before was pretty good?

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:57 pm

Dyche must not be far of being in top 6 highest paid managers in the league on that salary.

Incredible sums of money.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:08 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:57 pm
Dyche must not be far of being in top 6 highest paid managers in the league on that salary.

Incredible sums of money.
Knew you’d be happy :lol: :lol:

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:10 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:08 pm
Knew you’d be happy :lol: :lol:
I’m over the moon with it. Just can’t believe how much they offered.

Be interesting to see if he gets his bonus on top of that 6m salary. I think that would put him on nearly on par with guardiola and Klopp wouldn’t it?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:11 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:08 pm
Forum admin are just that and don’t make decisions on the platform. But we are happy with what we have as I’m sure most posters are.
These 2 users liked this post: dsr bfcjg

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:11 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:11 pm
Yes, I could justify it for 10th.
Its the carrot that dangles,

once achieved we get .....the last 3 games :lol:

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:17 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:11 pm
Forum admin are just that and don’t make decisions on the platform. But we are happy with what we have as I’m sure most posters are.
Maybe so, but the interface is very old and out of date, so you have a vote from me at least for something a bit more modern. Perhaps using some plugins to increase features of the site would be useful. A major issue at the moment for example, is that you cannot search for many terms which are too commonly used. You also can't do basic things like posting videos in posts.
Last edited by superdimitri on Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:18 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:10 pm
I’m over the moon with it. Just can’t believe how much they offered.

Be interesting to see if he gets his bonus on top of that 6m salary. I think that would put him on nearly on par with guardiola and Klopp wouldn’t it?
Earned every penny as the PL’s longest serving manager.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:24 pm

Anyone think the status could be something like that Dyche has agreed terms, but on the proviso/gentleman’s agreement with Pace that he doesn’t actually sign it until the Everton and Palace vacancies are filled?

Maybe I am being too paranoid?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:28 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:24 pm
Anyone think the status could be something like that Dyche has agreed terms, but on the proviso/gentleman’s agreement with Pace that he doesn’t actually sign it until the Everton and Palace vacancies are filled?

Maybe I am being too paranoid?
No is my simple one word answer to that
This user liked this post: jedi_master

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:37 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:28 pm
No is my simple one word answer to that
To which question though? ;)

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:38 am

Which question Tony? The first or the second one? :)

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:38 am

Snap Zlatan :) :) :)
This user liked this post: Zlatan

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:58 am

Sean, just choose one of these fookers and sign the bl00dy thing please !
Sean, just choose one of these fookers and sign the bl00dy thing please !
643443_1000_1_800.jpg (124.72 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
This user liked this post: NewClaret

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:41 am

Is it confirmed today? With a nice media video made up to show off our fantastic manager?