Middle class idiots going on holiday

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Re: Middle class idiots going on holiday

Post by ClaretLoup » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:59 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:59 pm
Stay at home unless you need to buy essential fence paint. Why can't people just follow this simple rule?
You shouldn’t be advising people to leave their homes unnecessarily.

https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/pr ... ype/stains

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:08 am

thelaughingclaret wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:22 pm
Some people seem to thing going abroad is a human right. It is not. Wether you are visiting family abroad or not is irrelevant. You do not have the right to go into any country you choose and then be accepted straight back into the UK. If you can not go 1/2 years without going abroad then you have serious issues. Get a grip. Imagine what these people would have been like during the war or in centuries past when people went a lifetime without leaving their home town, never mind their home country. If they could do that you can go a year or two without going the costa del whatever and shouting at Spanish/Portuguese waiters for not being able to speak good english as they bring you your pie and chips with a pint of carling before you go and get drunk and ruin the reputation of Britain further.

Where to start ? :lol:
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:36 am

Just booked for 15 nights in lanzarote from the 24th of this month, guaranteed sunshine and no crowds, when on the other hands those off to Cornwall will be putting themselves and families at risks with packed bars and beaches.
These 2 users liked this post: Grumps Stayingup

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:40 am

Stalbansclaret wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:18 pm
But Singapore has always been a touch "command and control" hasn't it ? Chewing gum sale is banned there still I believe. With the sort of vaccination rates now seen in the UK we surely should be seeing some relaxations otherwise what's the point ?
Personally I feel some sympathy for the situation people in Portugal found themselves in but , yes, I suppose you can say they knew the risks.
True but we only surpassed our SARS death toll of 33 yesterday with the announcement of only our 34th death due to COVID-19 since the pandemic began. Even if you normalise a population of 6 million against a population of 65 million then number of lives saved here assuming we would have had 10 times less deaths than the UK had we adopted the same measures was probably worth it.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:51 am

My fully vaccinated fiancée who's spent the last 14 months nursing in A&E decided to go to (green listed, at the time) Lisbon last weekend to see her family for the first time in over a year - what a selfish idiot!
These 2 users liked this post: Grumps Stalbansclaret

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:02 am

SammyBoy wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:51 am
My fully vaccinated fiancée who's spent the last 14 months nursing in A&E decided to go to (green listed, at the time) Lisbon last weekend to see her family for the first time in over a year - what a selfish idiot!
Not sure what relevance her job has to this?
I never called anyone selfish.
I was saying people jumping on a plane and travelling abroad knowing that the rules could change at short notice - and then complaining about it - deserve no sympathy.

SammyBoy

Post by SammyBoy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:16 am

CaptainKirk wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:02 am
I was saying people jumping on a plane and travelling abroad knowing that the rules could change at short notice - and then complaining about it - deserve no sympathy.
Ok, you didn't use the word selfish but you did use the the words "idiot" and "clown" to describe people who've gone abroad. As far as I'm concerned my partner has being doing a very challenging job, in a foreign country away from family and friends for a long period of time. When Portugal got put on the green list it was a long awaited light at the end of the tunnel and the chance to go and visit loved ones whilst staying within government guidelines.

She actually got back on Monday just before the rules changed but if she hadn't and had still been over there now, I wouldn't exactly find it (as you put it) "hilarious" that she'd incur extra charges to return to the UK.
These 2 users liked this post: nil_desperandum Grumps

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:29 am

CaptainKirk wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:10 pm
Little bit pretentious
It isn't though is it?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:36 am

CaptainKirk wrote:
Declaring the job they do is an effort to garner sympathy and to make it seem they're more entitled to a holiday abroad, there was a social worker on the radio the other day doing the same, saying they deserve to go abroad now and apparently it isn't fair the rules keep changing etc etc.

Last year I cancelled all plans to go abroad this year and also didn't book anything for Scotland to see family incase things changed for the worse.

Trip to Skegness in Sept last year was moved to sept this year at the request of Butlins because they wanted that weekend for families, as lockdown had been lifted back then, and with a bit of luck this will still go ahead this year, but if it doesn't because things have gotten worse then it isn't the end of the world.

If I did have a foreign holiday booked for now, personally I'd swallow the cost if I can't get a refund and not bother going.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:54 am

Now booked time off work but no flights booked at all as i will wait until the EU come up with their Green Passport thing . Only plan on going on football trips this year but that may change on many things .
Best to wait and see closer to the time before i go and book anything .

SammyBoy

Post by SammyBoy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:14 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:36 am
Declaring the job they do is an effort to garner sympathy and to make it seem they're more entitled to a holiday abroad, there was a social worker on the radio the other day doing the same, saying they deserve to go abroad now and apparently it isn't fair the rules keep changing etc etc.

Last year I cancelled all plans to go abroad this year and also didn't book anything for Scotland to see family incase things changed for the worse.

Trip to Skegness in Sept last year was moved to sept this year at the request of Butlins because they wanted that weekend for families, as lockdown had been lifted back then, and with a bit of luck this will still go ahead this year, but if it doesn't because things have gotten worse then it isn't the end of the world.

If I did have a foreign holiday booked for now, personally I'd swallow the cost if I can't get a refund and not bother going.
You are a real trooper mate, I commend you for cancelling that holiday to Butlins, unfortunately not everyone has your steely resolve and determination.

As for garnering sympathy and deserving a holiday, Portugal was a destination on the green list when most people booked to go, as long as testing procedures were adhered to I don't think it's morally deficient of people to want to have a break or see family.

Personally, I'd rather show them a bit of empathy and compassion than revel in schadenfreude and hope they get immediately punished in the costliest way possible, but hey it's 2021 and maybe I'm out of touch.

P.S - I hope you make it to Skegness this year.
These 5 users liked this post: Raggus Burnley1989 nil_desperandum cricketfieldclarets Stalbansclaret

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:30 pm

SammyBoy wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:14 pm
You are a real trooper mate, I commend you for cancelling that holiday to Butlins, unfortunately not everyone has your steely resolve and determination.

As for garnering sympathy and deserving a holiday, Portugal was a destination on the green list when most people booked to go, as long as testing procedures were adhered to I don't think it's morally deficient of people to want to have a break or see family.

Personally, I'd rather show them a bit of empathy and compassion than revel in schadenfreude and hope they get immediately punished in the costliest way possible, but hey it's 2021 and maybe I'm out of touch.

P.S - I hope you make it to Skegness this year.
The safe lists for foreign holidays have been changing regularly all year, so why its a sudden shock to people when they're changing now is bizarre.

I'm not asking for people to be punished, but I'm also not willing to show sympathy for anyone who's booked this year or during the pandemic for a holiday abroad.

We'd all like to see our families, whether they're here or abroad, but this pandemic is causing issues for everyone.
I've got large numbers of family and friends I've been unable to see, I'm just accepting that's how it has to be right now in this current uncertain situation.

As for skegness, if I go great, if i can't cos of covid then I won't be whinging about it that's for sure.

SammyBoy

Post by SammyBoy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:38 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:30 pm
The safe lists for foreign holidays have been changing regularly all year, so why its a sudden shock to people when they're changing now is bizarre.

I'm not asking for people to be punished, but I'm also not willing to show sympathy for anyone who's booked this year or during the pandemic for a holiday abroad.

We'd all like to see our families, whether they're here or abroad, but this pandemic is causing issues for everyone.
I've got large numbers of family and friends I've been unable to see, I'm just accepting that's how it has to be right now in this current uncertain situation.

As for skegness, if I go great, if i can't cos of covid then I won't be whinging about it that's for sure.
Good for you man. A shining example to the weak willed and decadent out there :roll:

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:44 pm

SingaporeClarets wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:40 am
True but we only surpassed our SARS death toll of 33 yesterday with the announcement of only our 34th death due to COVID-19 since the pandemic began. Even if you normalise a population of 6 million against a population of 65 million then number of lives saved here assuming we would have had 10 times less deaths than the UK had we adopted the same measures was probably worth it.
Certainly not somewhere I could live, looks beautiful but couldn’t live under that sort of regime

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:03 pm

SammyBoy wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:38 pm
Good for you man. A shining example to the weak willed and decadent out there :roll:
Weak willed for following the rules and not putting others at risk?
Ok then...

We aren't gonna agree and I can't be arsed batting this back and forth all day, so lets just agree to disagree.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:06 pm

CaptainKirk wrote:
The NHS card is frequently used & I'm no way discrediting what them people do as I can imagine recently it's been extremely challenging & difficult for them, but nevertheless other people also work in challenging circumstances as well, it's not solely confined to the NHS employees, you could actually legitimately argue from a financial point of view the NHS workers have been fortunate staying in consistent employment & even probably benefiting from extra shifts due to the pandemic, some of the population have been furloughed for months & are playing catch up with the finances & can only dream of a holiday in the sun.

SammyBoy

Post by SammyBoy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:19 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:03 pm
Weak willed for following the rules and not putting others at risk?
Ok then...

We aren't gonna agree and I can't be arsed batting this back and forth all day, so lets just agree to disagree.
I've already said this half a dozen times but Portugal was on the green list when the majority of those affected booked their trip. Nobody that booked a trip to Portugal when it was green listed has broken "the rules", my partner and thousands of others will have organised and submitted their pre and post-flight COVID tests and followed "the rules" to the letter.

I'm not going to condemn, judge or laugh at the misfortune of anybody for doing that, just as I don't have a problem with people visiting the pub now that it's allowed, so long as they follow current government advice re. social distancing and so on.

Agree with you about the last bit though.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6893 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:22 pm

If you find the undeserved misfortune of other people ‘hilarious’ then you are a sad little person.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:32 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:06 pm
, you could actually legitimately argue from a financial point of view the NHS workers have been fortunate staying in consistent employment & even probably benefiting from extra shifts due to the pandemic, some of the population have been furloughed for months & are playing catch up with the finances & can only dream of a holiday in the sun.
What?
Don't really know where to start, but the majority of workers furloughed have been on a very large percentage of their wage, and by staying at home have had significantly reduced expenses. (e.g. the 20% hit will simply cover travel to and from work and parking charges for many people, and they haven't been going to the pub, the football etc.). I doubt that many furloughed workers are "playing catch-up".
Meanwhile NHS staff, care workers and shop workers, are (in many cases) amongst the lowest paid, and have had all the associated costs of getting to work, possibly paying for childcare etc., etc.
More significantly however, they've had no choice but to keep going to work, initially without PPE, in order to keep the country going, putting themselves at risk.
So who are the fortunate ones?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:41 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:32 pm
What?
Don't really know where to start, but the majority of workers furloughed have been on a very large percentage of their wage, and by staying at home have had significantly reduced expenses. (e.g. the 20% hit will simply cover travel to and from work and parking charges for many people, and they haven't been going to the pub, the football etc.). I doubt that many furloughed workers are "playing catch-up".
Meanwhile NHS staff, care workers and shop workers, are (in many cases) amongst the lowest paid, and have had all the associated costs of getting to work, possibly paying for childcare etc., etc.
More significantly however, they've had no choice but to keep going to work, initially without PPE, in order to keep the country going, putting themselves at risk.
Some people become accustomed to living to what they earn penny for penny & even struggle at that & live in their overdrafts already nevermind with deductions, 20% might not seem a lot to you but it's everything to somebody with a high expenditure. Some savings as you've mentioned will have been made but you are forgetting soaring utility bills whilst remaining at home so that kind of evens itself out with the additional savings you've mentioned.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:48 pm

CaptainKirk wrote:
I think you need to read your OP again.

You mentioned people's jobs first.

And weirdly only directed your anger at those who went on holiday who were middle class and have kids with names you disapprove of.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:28 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:22 pm
If you find the undeserved misfortune of other people ‘hilarious’ then you are a sad little person.
It's hardly undeserved it's a wild virus the situation is very fluid, people have decided so must live with the consequences there decisions have arrived at, it's a very strange concept with some people on this forum where personal decisions remain detached from there actions.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:41 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:28 pm
It's hardly undeserved it's a wild virus the situation is very fluid, people have decided so must live with the consequences there decisions have arrived at, it's a very strange concept with some people on this forum where personal decisions remain detached from there actions.
Of course it's undeserved. None of the consequences of this virus are deserved.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:53 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:41 pm
Not sure you will get far with that point considering he thinks racial abuse is deserved if the victim is silly enough to be on twitter

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:56 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:53 pm
Not sure you will get far with that point considering he thinks racial abuse is deserved if the victim is silly enough to be on twitter
Good point. I never expect anything I post to register with him to be honest, but I try in vain.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:57 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:56 pm
Good point. I never expect anything I post to register with him to be honest, but I try in vain.
Studies have shown that standing on the edge of a cliff facing a head strong wind and having a p**s has been more fruitful
These 2 users liked this post: Rileybobs CaptainKirk

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:23 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:41 pm
Some people become accustomed to living to what they earn penny for penny & even struggle at that & live in their overdrafts already nevermind with deductions, 20% might not seem a lot to you but it's everything to somebody with a high expenditure. Some savings as you've mentioned will have been made but you are forgetting soaring utility bills whilst remaining at home so that kind of evens itself out with the additional savings you've mentioned.
Getting accustomed to spending all of their wages every month is a bit of a silly thing to do. They really should have made different decisions.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:51 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:23 pm
Getting accustomed to spending all of their wages every month is a bit of a silly thing to do. They really should have made different decisions.
Rising cost of living and a stagnation of wages.

Wages should start to increase in order to make jobs more attractive now its harder to import workers from Europe who're happy enough to work for the mimimum wage and longer hours.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 1219 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:13 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:51 pm
Rising cost of living and a stagnation of wages.

Wages should start to increase in order to make jobs more attractive now its harder to import workers from Europe who're happy enough to work for the mimimum wage and longer hours.
Wages should go up in order to make them attractive to uk workers now we don’t have as many European people here? Is that what you are saying?

A job should have a fair wage attached to it, no matter who is employed.

Anyone who is unemployed should be grateful for a job at the minimum wage!

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:24 pm

PaintYorkClaretnBlue wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:13 pm
Wages should go up in order to make them attractive to uk workers now we don’t have as many European people here? Is that what you are saying?

A job should have a fair wage attached to it, no matter who is employed.

Anyone who is unemployed should be grateful for a job at the minimum wage!
When the UK had a regular influx of people willing to work for the minimum wage because its higher than the wages back home, where is the incentive for UK employers to offer higher wages for basic jobs?

There simply wasn't one, employers took advantage of workers willing to work harder and longer hours for minimum wage, Brexit has put a stop to that, so employers will gradually have to up their game there are some alwady saying they're struggling to find workers for their low paid jobs now lockdowns are lifting.

As for being grateful for a job at minimum wage, the wages in this country aren't high enough for many people, hence why they live month to month with no ability to save and why only getting 80% of their wages for over a year was actually an issue for people when they're sat at home eating more, using more of their utilities etc.

Also, for most of the lockdown one of my jobs was working in a petrol station, dealing with absolute belms who refused to follow Covid rules, were abusive and threatening etc.

I'm lucky that I didn't need that job, I'm skilled and adaptable, but imagine someone who isn't, who needs the job and has to put up with the selfish morons for minimum wages.
Nah, sod that, which is why many have started to realise it isn't worth the hassle.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:07 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:41 pm
That much is true, but we are past that point the virus is here & we are living in here & now, life as changed we can't go back to 2 years ago & do the same as we are doing now, surely you can see that? Our actions can now potentially affect other people & so forth in a chain if we aren't careful. Personal decisions equals personal responsibility, the general consensus appears to be, we can make personal decisions without accepting full responsibility for our decisions & start to blame other people or the unfortunate circumstances we have found ourselves in, do you want to live in a society where personal decisions aren't accountable?

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:10 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:07 pm
That much is true, but we are past that point the virus is here & we are living in here & now, life as changed we can't go back to 2 years ago & do the same as we are doing now, surely you can can see that? Our actions can now potentially affect other people & so forth in a chain if we aren't careful. Personal decisions equals personal responsibility, the general consensus appears to be, we can make personal decisions without accepting full responsibility for our decisions & start to blame other people or the unfortunate circumstances we have found ourselves in, do you want to live in a society where personal decisions aren't accountable?
Our actions have always affected other people. Like deciding the drive a car while sedated.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:13 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:10 pm
Our actions have always affected other people. Like deciding the drive a car while sedated.
True, indeed in the same manner as somebody who's really anxious & hyper that could also crash a vehicle by that same token.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2313 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:14 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:07 pm
do you want to live in a society where personal decisions aren't accountable?

Available information now strongly demonstrates that the overwhelming majority of people being admitted to hospital with C19 have been people who have not taken up the offer of vaccinations.

So yes... I'd like those people to be accountable for their actions and not me.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:18 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:14 pm
Available information now strongly demonstrates that the overwhelming majority of people being admitted to hospital with C19 have been people who have not taken up the offer of vaccinations.

So yes... I'd like those people to be accountable for their actions and not me.
Exactly, that's exactly what we are dealing with with people mingling, what do you recommend, compulsory vaccinations or withdrawing treatment for the people, what gives?

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:26 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:18 pm
Exactly, that's exactly what we are dealing with with people mingling, what do you recommend, compulsory vaccinations or withdrawing treatment for the people, what gives?
Are those the only options? Compulsory vaccinations or withdrawing treatment?

Could the NHS not, you know, just treat them?
This user liked this post: fatboy47

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2313 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:27 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:18 pm
I recommend that we mingle to our hearts content, and that the clowns who have stuck two fingers to the vaccination take the consequences of their actions or lack of them.

I think that's quite clear Jakub.... I've no wish to conduct some rambling nit-picking dialogue about it on here.
This user liked this post: ksrclaret

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:39 pm

After the wettest May since Noah loaded his Arc and after a terrible lockdown period over Winter I don't blame anyone for seeking some sun and some inexpensive food and drink. As for being stuck at Faro or somehere blame the over cautios Scientists, who have created a bigger problem and a shilly shallying government.

Prices in UK are ridiculous and mostly not value for money.

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:47 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:32 pm
What?
That may be the case if you earn under 40k per year and receive 32k through furlough, if you’re a higher earner with a large mortgage, bills and school fee’s you will be playing catch up and that’s not through living beyond your means.

Stayingup

Post by Stayingup » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:29 pm

A friend of mine and his wife has spent a night at a hotel.in the Lakes. The lowest cost bottle of wine in the restaurant was £70!!! Grand Cru? No. Ask Vino Blanco what a good bottle costs in a restaurant where he is

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:33 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:29 pm
A friend of mine and his wife has spent a night at a hotel.in the Lakes. The lowest cost bottle of wine in the restaurant was £70!!! Grand Cru? No. Ask Vino Blanco what a good bottle costs in a restaurant where he is
Is £70 for a bottle of wine in one restaurant in the Lake District truly representative of the cost of all holidays in England?

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:35 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:47 pm
That may be the case if you earn under 40k per year and receive 32k through furlough, if you’re a higher earner with a large mortgage, bills and school fee’s you will be playing catch up and that’s not through living beyond your means.
Surely most people's expenditure is relative to their income, so hardship through a 20% reduction would be equally relative?

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:39 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:35 pm
Surely most people's expenditure is relative to their income, so hardship through a 20% reduction would be equally relative?
I understand your point but 32k is the max you could/can receive on furlough, if your income is 100k for example, you’d be 68k worse off that your previous years earnings.
Unlikely that someone that’s worth 100k to a business could be left at home for a year so perhaps a bit extreme but there will certainly be people playing catch up with their finances this year is my point.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:59 pm

This thread shows why social distancing isn’t a bad thing.
This user liked this post: Milltown1882

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 854 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:05 pm

The most overused phrase in the past 16 months and one that still manages to pop up on here is ‘middle of a pandemic’. God help us if we’re only halfway through. I’ll enjoy my 2 week summer holiday wherever we can get off to abroad next month the same as we did last summer. C’est la vie.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:10 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:59 pm
This thread shows why social distancing isn’t a bad thing.
Last weekend in Basingstoke highlighted why it was a good thing, so many idiots getting drunk and into fights :roll:

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:32 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:39 pm
I understand your point but 32k is the max you could/can receive on furlough, if your income is 100k for example, you’d be 68k worse off that your previous years earnings.
Unlikely that someone that’s worth 100k to a business could be left at home for a year so perhaps a bit extreme but there will certainly be people playing catch up with their finances this year is my point.
OK. I didn't know that.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:17 pm

Iam still down south, spreading the East lancs variant all over, coming back tomorrow, no tests, at least if I was abroad I'd be tested before coming home

Stayingup

Post by Stayingup » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:39 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:33 pm
Is £70 for a bottle of wine in one restaurant in the Lake District truly representative of the cost of all holidays in England?
At the moment yes
Like PCR tests at Euros 35 in Spain and about £95:here, we are being screwed again. This country is a joke. Why is it necessary to have two PCR tests on entry and then hibernate for 10.days? One or the other but not both.
This user liked this post: SammyBoy

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:41 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:26 pm
Are those the only options? Compulsory vaccinations or withdrawing treatment?

Could the NHS not, you know, just treat them?
Great idea, we will utilise resources treating covid patients who are against vaccination & put all the other disease treatments such as cancer on a back burner, I don't know why I didn't think of that before :roll: