The Duff x Rodriguez x Elliott feature: Burnley manager material

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4835 times
Has Liked: 947 times

The Duff x Rodriguez x Elliott feature: Burnley manager material

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:22 pm

Just seen it and what struck me was just how confident and forthright, Michael Duff was. I’m so pleased that both he and Wade have had success this last season and I hope they go from strength to strength in a higher division.

I have every faith that Dyche will stay at the club for some time yet, but the last 12-18 months have certainly suggested that SD hasn’t been happy…it has made me think about the next man through the door: huge boots to fill but more importantly, it needs to be someone who knows the very fabric of what this club is about; all those messages that are on the walls of corridors down at Barnfield.

I do think that now would’ve been just too early, but in time, I really can see Michael Duff being an excellent manager and I hope he is continually backed by those above him at Cheltenham Town. He has the charisma that I feel Burnley fans like but also the discipline and professionalism that was born out of our club in the first place.

Down the line, I sense the next manager ought to be one of our own. For now though, and for as long as is eternally possible, please find that bloody biro own, Sean!

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Re: The Duff x Rodriguez x Elliott feature: Burnley manager material

Post by bfcjg » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:00 am

I agree, Duff is very much in the style of Dyche, however when Mee hangs up his boots he has all the qualities a manager needs and when he gets his badges etc I would love to see him involved at the Turf to eventually become first team manager.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:49 am

We've got our managerial succession sorted then.

I suppose Alexander and Barton are no longer considered?

It will be interesting to see how Duff copes next season.

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:01 am

Michael Duff has done an amazing job at Cheltenham with one of the smallest budgets in the division. I hope he does well in League One but ultimately with a 7000 capacity I think you get the idea of the size of the club. For me he will need to have a good season in League One then another stepping stone before he would be ready to come to a Premier League club, probably a big League One club or a Championship club.

When Duffo went in at Cheltenham it was Cotterill he turned to for advice. Sean Dyche has never managed below Championship level. It's a different world down there. Putting in a framework wasn't enough to get Cheltenham on the right track. It was Cotterill's advice that helped him build a team that could compete. He will evolve as a manager and undoubtedly use everything he learnt from Sean Dyche too but he'll add to that his own experience and things he learns from others.

I don't think being an ex-claret should have any influence on the recruitment of our next manager. It's a bit like England manager. Who was the last English manager to win a major trophy? No English manager has won the Premier League. The last one I can think of is Harry Redknapp winning the FA Cup with Portsmouth in 2008. But of course people want England to be managed by an English manager despite the lack of league or cup success. Similarly there is not one ex Claret who is anywhere near managing at this level.
This user liked this post: Andingle

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8707 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:40 am

Agree with first post. Duff controlled proceedings. Jay became a little boy again!

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4835 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:48 pm

I was really intrigued by just how in control Duff was.

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:43 pm

For anyone who hasn't seen it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baCOjkHsQhI

It's kind of normal that Duff is the "senior" man seeing as he's Wade's boss and Jay was just a kid when they were at the club.
Interesting that they put Jay with them and not Mee, Cork or even Kevin Long.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:56 pm

dibraidio wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:01 am
Michael Duff has done an amazing job at Cheltenham with one of the smallest budgets in the division. I hope he does well in League One but ultimately with a 7000 capacity I think you get the idea of the size of the club. For me he will need to have a good season in League One then another stepping stone before he would be ready to come to a Premier League club, probably a big League One club or a Championship club.

When Duffo went in at Cheltenham it was Cotterill he turned to for advice. Sean Dyche has never managed below Championship level. It's a different world down there. Putting in a framework wasn't enough to get Cheltenham on the right track. It was Cotterill's advice that helped him build a team that could compete. He will evolve as a manager and undoubtedly use everything he learnt from Sean Dyche too but he'll add to that his own experience and things he learns from others.

I don't think being an ex-claret should have any influence on the recruitment of our next manager. It's a bit like England manager. Who was the last English manager to win a major trophy? No English manager has won the Premier League. The last one I can think of is Harry Redknapp winning the FA Cup with Portsmouth in 2008. But of course people want England to be managed by an English manager despite the lack of league or cup success. Similarly there is not one ex Claret who is anywhere near managing at this level.
Excellent post

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:27 pm

What exactly was the point of these four 'chats'. It seemed to me it was just a random set of not very interesting points, none of which was particularly enlightening.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32410 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:35 pm

Hipper wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:27 pm
What exactly was the point of these four 'chats'. It seemed to me it was just a random set of not very interesting points, none of which was particularly enlightening.
To promote another betting partner

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:19 pm

Hipper wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:27 pm
Well I enjoyed them.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3338 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:37 pm

Good exposure for Dafabet.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony