US Open (golf)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

US Open (golf)

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:11 pm

I hadn't realised this major started today, though it's been slightly delayed due to fog believe it or not.

Plenty of big names already out on the course including T Fleetwood, J Thomas, C Morikawa, B Koepka, P Mickelson.

After lefty's win at the US PGA recently I'm loathe to write anybody off, but you'd expect the winner to come from one of the usual suspects at Torrey Pines.

slw
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 79 times

Re: US Open (golf)

Post by slw » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:39 pm

Mickelson struggling, early days though,

exilecanada
Been Liked: 232 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:40 pm

Turned on golf after watching Denmark/Belgium game. Personally I'd like to see Corey Connors win this, a brilliant ball striker but needs to improve his putting stat's before winning a big event. Other than Connors, I'm going for any Brit, after that, anyone except a Yank :D I somehow doubt Phil will be in the mix on Sunday, I don't think his nerves will hold up to completing career 'Grand Slam' in his home town, sure would be fun to see though :mrgreen: Oosthuizen could be a dark horse, he has a habit of showing up at big events.

One think I do hope is the greens don't dry out to the point of rendering them unputtable, USGA have a history of trying to protect par at all costs.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:26 pm

Richard Bland leads the way, no I must confess I've never heard of him either, however plenty of big names well placed to mount a challenge over the weekend, and a strong American presence in the leading players as you'd likely expect at one of their home tournaments.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:45 pm

Richard Bland is the ultimate journeyman " Pro ". He's now 48, from Burton on Trent, and he won his first Tournament, the " British Masters " last month at his 478th attempt on the European Tour. He's only ever qualified for 2 other Majors, the 2009 US Open and the 2017 Open. He's lost and regained his European Tour Card five times since 2001 ....

I doubt he will, but if he does go on to win the US Open, it'll be real " Hollywood " stuff .... he'd be the oldest man ever to win the US Open and the 2nd oldest to win a major, behind Phil Mickelson's PGA win this year ( 50yrs 11mths 7 days ) ..

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:53 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:45 pm
Richard Bland is the ultimate journeyman " Pro ". He's now 48, from Burton on Trent, and he won his first Tournament, the " British Masters " last month at his 478th attempt on the European Tour. He's only ever qualified for 2 other Majors, the 2009 US Open and the 2017 Open. He's lost and regained his European Tour Card five times since 2001 ....

I doubt he will, but if he does go on to win the US Open, it'll be real " Hollywood " stuff .... he'd be the oldest man ever to win the US Open and the 2nd oldest to win a major, behind Phil Mickelson's PGA win this year ( 50yrs 11mths 7 days ) ..
I doubt he'll go on to win it either, but this is what makes sports great stories like his. it's the unpredictability that keeps us all interested, like when an unseeded player won the woman's title at the French Open last week, these are the tales the public loves.

And even if he doesn't go on to win he has given himself a fair shout of a high placed finish if nothing else, and no doubt a welcome cash boost into the bargain.

exilecanada
Been Liked: 232 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:27 pm

Well well, what a turn up for the books! I doubt anyone would have thought Canadian Mac Hughes and Henley would be vying for a US Open win. Oosthuizen doesn't surprise me though, he was my dark horse. For those who've never heard of Mac Hughes may be interested to know he's missed the cut in his last 5 tour starts and throughout his PGA career has had a tendency to be a very streaky player. As for who'll win today, it will be fun to watch, a good number of big names are lurking. For obvious reasons I'd like to see Mac win, however I doubt that will happen. I'm not sure Rory still has a major win in him, his left hook shows up at the most inopportune times, which is bad news at Torrey with the canyon lurking. If Oosty's putter shows up, he's my pick to win. DJ could make a charge today, his power fade suits this track to a tee, just needs the short stick to cooperate. It's about time Jon Rahm won a major, certainly has the game but his Latin temperament gets in the way at times. I'm not DeShambles fan, he's a bit of a circus act in my mind, however I think he'll pull off a win today.

As for Richard Bland, I felt for him yesterday, but a meltdown was inevitable at some point. His goal today will be to put in a solid round, hopefully a top ten finish which will get him into all the big gigs next season. That would be quite a boost at this stage of his career.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:35 pm

I walked with Oosthuizen when he won at St Andrews and I like the way he is calm, steady with a good swing not prone to breaking down under pressure. Rory fell away that week (the week I started to call him a bottler) but the natural talent gulf balances it out a bit. DeShambles is the third likely winner. I couldn’t choose between them. Probably Bryson on form, but hopefully Rory.

A word for Bland too - what a great week, he has won far more money over his career (€6m) than his status as a nearly man suggests, but I was still so pleased for him last month when he won the British Masters for his first win in nearly 500 events. So emotional to see him interviewed by Sky’s Tim Barter that day - his coach and close friend.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:53 pm

It's set up for a great final round, anyone of about 15 players could still consider themselves to be in contention.

Rory is definitely in the mix, but there's some talent on that leader board.

Shame about Bland falling away yesterday, but he could still finish in the top 20, which would still represent a good week for him.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:46 pm

Anyone else out there who can't stand watching Dechambeau

Bores me........................................

takes far too long

Hard to watch for other reasons also