apprenticeships.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcmatt
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 189 times

apprenticeships.

Post by bfcmatt » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:38 pm

looking for a bit of advice if anybody has any experiance of apprenticeships. My son is after an apprenticeship in a trade such as an electrician or plumber. He is 21 so older than a school leaver but still with in the required age range. He has sent of loads of cv's and covering letters but gets zero replies, somebody suggested this may be because of his age and the company would have to pay for his qualification and pay him more in wages (we have noticed a lot of places pay more than the minimum any way). Any body got experiance of giving or getting an apprenticeship for older than school leaver age and got any advice or ideas where to look please.
thanks all

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Re: apprenticeships.

Post by ClaretMov » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:47 pm

Try these, they are very good and should be able to help you.

https://www.getmyfirstjob.co.uk/
This user liked this post: bfcmatt

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:12 pm

He may be better applying to a training provider or college. Many employers recruit their apprentices through them so they have access to the vacancies.

The wage and availability of funding could still make him less attractive than a school leaver but he'd probably have a better chance than applying directly to employers.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:15 pm

I'd suggest him starting a level two plumbing course off his own back and then immediately writing to local companies directly before going onto level 3 and then gas qualification.

XDS
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by XDS » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:20 pm

As the familycat says, he can apply at a college who provide training for the first year and try to find a company who'll take him on,if you are local both Burnley and Nelson college offer apprenticeships (Nelson are better with the further education learning in my opinion) don't let age put him off i know of several lads who are/have done apprenticeships whose age ranges from 25 up to 48 and have gone on to progress further at their companies, I wish him all the best

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 728 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:21 pm

https://www.ecscard.org.uk/content/Training-Providers

If he wants to work as an Electrician in Industry rather than House Bashing type work he will need training, qualifications and an ECS card.

The link is to the ECS web site and he could do worse than contact them in the first instance.