Exit at last 16 is a failure

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Re: Exit at last 16 is a failure

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:54 am

That’s better!
For what it’s worth I do agree with you about the entitled to go down diatribe and other things you’ve mentioned but those issues are unrelated to the point I was making.

yTib
Been Liked: 704 times
Has Liked: 657 times

Post by yTib » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:59 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:54 am
For what it’s worth I do agree with you about the entitled to go down diatribe and other things you’ve mentioned but those issues are unrelated to the point I was making.
i really don't think so but i'm slightly tipsy so i'd better not argue x

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:05 am

That made me smile , slightly tipsy is so much fun and you usually get away without the hangover in the morning.
Come on England, let’s whip them !
This user liked this post: yTib

yTib
Been Liked: 704 times
Has Liked: 657 times

Post by yTib » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:07 am

kinky

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:07 am

Oops wrong word to use to you yTip

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:06 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:56 pm
Is Robson remembered as a great England manager? He's remembered as a very good England manager who was cheated and unlucky in TWO World Cups. He also wasn't handed the England job, he'd been a manager for around 14 years before he got the England job, and he'd won cups.
Not to mention that he had a bit more charisma about him than that of a damp waistcoat.

It's not all Southgate's fault as to why a lot of folk find it difficult to like and relate to the England team at the moment.
I mean, Hollywood goalkeeper, flakey centre backs, a midfielder in Rice who although we keep getting told is the bees knees, a lot of us can't see it, and Sterling, he's so difficult to like it's like he's playing for the opposition.

I think we all know the difference between the team that got to the semi finals of the World Cup in 2018 and this team.

Not that anything I've said will stop me cheering them on and wanting us to win it.
He failed to qualify for Euro 84

We were lucky to get out of our group in 86 and we didnt lose to Argentina because of the hanball

We were an embarrassment at Euro 88 and lost every game

And we were poor in pretty much every match in the 90 World Cup apart from the match we lost.

I couldnt give two sh*ts on what the merits were for giving him or Southgate the job but so far Southgate has done a lot better than the very good manager that is Bobby Robson yet gets treated like he's a useless yes man who's been a failure

The rest of your stuff around why people find it hard to relate to Southgate is just nonsense and basically angry man shouts at cloud syndrome which sadly seems to dominate our society currently

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:36 am

Okay, just trying to explain how and why Southgate is seen as he is and the difference between he and Robson.

But I can't stop as it's overcast today, so I've a lot of shouting to do.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:47 pm

I've enjoyed reading through this thread it brought a smile to the face

Germany were an average side if you watched them this tournament, a slow aging squad who put away a below average Portugal side.

Last night after the 1st 10 minutes it was quite comfortable.

I'd go as far as to say I've never been so arrogant about and England team beating our German counterparts. I just hope we now keep our focus for Saturday and it's doesn't become a case of after The Lord Mayors Show

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:36 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:32 am
You are bringing in ethics.
I’ll try and make it more clear for you. It’s about the expectations of the fans of these countries being higher than English fans.
In this country there is the perception among some fans that we are a big footballing international force. It has been argued by others on this thread that we having nothing to back that up other than a World Cup win over 50 years ago and a couple of semi final appearances .
The nations I mentioned have had much more success at the big tournaments and because of this their fans have higher expectations and as such are likely to regard a last 16 departure as failure
Any major footballing nation hosting an international tournament (England playing a potential 6 out of 7 games at Wembley and minimal travelling) I am sure would consider a last 16 departure as a failure. Or at the very least a fantastic opportunity missed.

I was consistent all along in saying that England would beat Germany on Tuesday simply because the Germans currently aren't very good.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:29 pm

Well if exit at the last 16 is a failure then the bosses of Austria, Croatia, France, Germany, Holland, Portugal, Sweden & Wales should be worried, obviously some more than others, hence why De Boer has already been given his marching orders.

It is true that this isn't a great Germany side, and that's the last 2 major tournaments they've tumbled out early, and their NL and qualification form isn't exactly much to write home about either, and Hansi Flick faces a major rebuilding job ahead of the next WC if Germany are to be competitive again.

However that's not England's problem, and all you can do is beat what's put before you, and the slight blip against Scotland accepted then England have done that efficiently if not spectacularly, but you don't get extra points for style it's all about winning, and England have got into a nice habit of grinding out results which bodes well for the future.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:40 pm

2nd best is knowhere, winning the Euros is all that counts .Too long in England we have accepted trying and underachieving as ok it's not .If we win I will concede Southgate is the man to lead is into the World Cup bid if not sack him.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:53 pm

Taken from the BBC:

Balague: "You look at the papers and the coverage in England, you see talk of the final, when you are still in the quarter-finals. Does any other country do this? It is only England. That is a lack of respect for Ukraine."

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:06 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:40 pm
2nd best is knowhere, winning the Euros is all that counts .Too long in England we have accepted trying and underachieving as ok it's not .If we win I will concede Southgate is the man to lead is into the World Cup bid if not sack him.
I wasn't convinced about Southgate, and indeed I still have my concerns about him, but to suggest he should be sacked if we should reach the final and just fall short following a WC semi-final appearance in 2018 is just laughable, he'd have the 2nd best record after Sir Alf if he managed that, and indeed you could argue he'd surpassed the great Alf Ramsay, because for all his brilliance England never got beyond a quarter-final on foreign soil, a feat which Gareth exceeded in Russia.

Now if a 4th placed finish at a WC, and a final showing at the Euro's isn't deemed good enough by you then I pity whoever succeeds Gareth.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:31 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:53 pm
Taken from the BBC:

Balague: "You look at the papers and the coverage in England, you see talk of the final, when you are still in the quarter-finals. Does any other country do this? It is only England. That is a lack of respect for Ukraine."
If the semi-final and final were being played in Madrid and Rome I am sure that the expectations would be tempered somewhat.

The fact that both matches are at Wembley and Ukraine are seen as "easy pickings" has heightened expectations to a ridiculous level.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:11 pm

Need to change this thread to "If we get beaten by Ukraine it will be a failure". And if we win it by chance, perhaps something like "easiest ever route to a euro victory". Hope you managed to enjoy the Germany game despite yourselves. Only England fans can expect so much and so little simultaneously.