51 YEARS | Episode One - Aberdeen

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

51 YEARS | Episode One - Aberdeen

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:33 am

bobinho
Been Liked: 4071 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Re: 51 YEARS | Episode One - Aberdeen

Post by bobinho » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:18 am

Lasted all the way until the narration started.

It should’ve been Phil Birds gig…
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1356 times
Has Liked: 2918 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:01 am

bobinho wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:18 am
Lasted all the way until the narration started.

It should’ve been Phil Birds gig…
Stopped when Campbell started.
This user liked this post: bobinho

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:30 am

Missed the intro started to watch when Alastair started the narrative.
These 3 users liked this post: Zlatan fatboy47 Juan Tanamera

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 762 times
Has Liked: 10011 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:41 am

Whatever the agenda is against Alastair Cambell, I found absolutely nothing wrong with his contribution in this video.
These 3 users liked this post: Aclaret Zlatan tiger76

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:52 am

I enjoyed that, although obviously if you’re too fragile to listen to the voice of a person who may not share your political views reading a script it may not be for you.
These 6 users liked this post: Zlatan fatboy47 Juan Tanamera elwaclaret Silkyskills1 tiger76

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 2693 times

Post by fatboy47 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:08 pm

I didn't realise AC was doing the narration.

Will deffo give it a whirl now.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:13 pm

great video, great memories. Istanbul one is on Youtube now as well. Look forward to the Olympiakos.
Proud to say I've seen us in Europe home & away. It would have been so good to have got through but with the way the season went it was probably better we didn't.
Here's to believing it can happen again.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:46 am

Watched it and almost fell asleep. A special time for sure but an entire episode?

Was pretty dull to me. I think I've seen teenagers put together more professional documentaries on YouTube.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:50 am

superdimitri wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:46 am
Watched it and almost fell asleep. A special time for sure but an entire episode?

Was pretty dull to me. I think I've seen teenagers put together more professional documentaries on YouTube.
Why not just turn it off then ? Then you wouldn’t found yourself needing to be negative about something else connected to the club

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:26 am

martin_p wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:52 am
I enjoyed that, although obviously if you’re too fragile to listen to the voice of a person who may not share your political views reading a script it may not be for you.
Never considered myself fragile, always been quite robust really, but I do have a conscience and I do have a code I try to live by. I suppose it’s really my moral compass that points in the opposite direction to wherever AC is standing, and it’s got nothing to do with the colour of the political rosette he’s currently wearing.

If anyone thinks it’s ok ignore his “contribution” to the way this country has handled/advised/behaved on certain things in our recent history just because he’s a Burnley fan, then maybe they need to take a long hard look at what they consider to be acceptable.

I’m lucky in that I managed to get thru relatively unscathed one of the worst experiences of my life. I had colleagues who didn’t. I still struggle occasionally dealing with my own contribution to what we did there and what we left behind us, but I sleep most nights because I’m safe in the knowledge that I went with the best of intentions with the orders coming from the best intelligence available. Unfortunately, those who should’ve been beyond reproach weren’t and sent us to war on lies. Campbell is one of them, and undoubtedly the main driving force behind the whole shitshow.

It’s ok tho, he’s a claret right? :oops:
This user liked this post: Grumps

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:34 am

bobinho wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:26 am
Never considered myself fragile, always been quite robust really, but I do have a conscience and I do have a code I try to live by. I suppose it’s really my moral compass that points in the opposite direction to wherever AC is standing, and it’s got nothing to do with the colour of the political rosette he’s currently wearing.

If anyone thinks it’s ok ignore his “contribution” to the way this country has handled/advised/behaved on certain things in our recent history just because he’s a Burnley fan, then maybe they need to take a long hard look at what they consider to be acceptable.

I’m lucky in that I managed to get thru relatively unscathed one of the worst experiences of my life. I had colleagues who didn’t. I still struggle occasionally dealing with my own contribution to what we did there and what we left behind us, but I sleep most nights because I’m safe in the knowledge that I went with the best of intentions with the orders coming from the best intelligence available. Unfortunately, those who should’ve been beyond reproach weren’t and sent us to war on lies. Campbell is one of them, and undoubtedly the main driving force behind the whole shitshow.

Said many times I’m uneasy with our club promoting Alastair Campbell.

I challenged Bentley and Bird about it on Twitter and all they said was “we don’t talk about politics with him”…..well that’s ok then🤷‍♂️
This user liked this post: bobinho

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 816 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:32 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:34 am
Said many times I’m uneasy with our club promoting Alastair Campbell.

I challenged Bentley and Bird about it on Twitter and all they said was “we don’t talk about politics with him”…..well that’s ok then🤷‍♂️
But this isn’t a political scenario (voicing a documentary about football) so why are you crossing one line with another? I don’t get it.
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera tiger76

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:51 am

bobinho wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:26 am

From this, I'm guessing you were in the Army and had to fight during the Iraq years?

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:57 am

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:32 am
But this isn’t a political scenario (voicing a documentary about football) so why are you crossing one line with another? I don’t get it.
It’s the association Charlie. I know who he is, what he is, and how he is and I am extremely uneasy knowing he still may have influence somewhere. Then I see him on the tv, and hear him on the radio and now I get to listen to him narrating a piece he shouldn’t be anywhere near!. How he’s even given a platform is staggering really. Had he been at the other end of the political spectrum and operated the same way and advised a govt in the same way, he’d be called out as a modern day Goebbels.

Asking why is anyone bothered about AC and his relationship with BFC, It’s like asking “who’s laying your new patio?”
“Fred west”
“After what he’s aledgedly done?”
“Well, yeah, but he’s a good builder”

I don’t get the “yeah but he’s alright really” argument. It taints the product for me.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 762 times
Has Liked: 10011 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:01 pm

Thank goodness this is a football forum, eh?

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:48 pm

The brand of Burnley Football Club should not be tarnished by involving a man responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi men , women and children.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:13 pm

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:32 am
Let’s get Tommy Robinson in for the next one then. It’s not a political thing after all.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 2693 times

Post by fatboy47 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:17 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:13 pm
Let’s get Tommy Robinson in for the next one then. It’s not a political thing after all.

There's a couple of posters above who wouldn't have an issue with that.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3845 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:27 pm

I thought it was Ross Kemp on gangs commentary at first.
"Nick Pope and Johan Gudmanson meet up with the rest of the squad after being out in Russia all summer".

Both videos are alright but needed more fan inclusion and player content to keep interest levels up.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:17 pm

I’ve just watched the third one but I’ve seen all three before. We’re they previously on Clarets Player?

burnmark
Been Liked: 593 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by burnmark » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:58 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:17 pm
I’ve just watched the third one but I’ve seen all three before. We’re they previously on Clarets Player?
They’ve been around a while. Originally available to the premium subscription on Clarets +. Just watched the Athens one again. Still not sure how we didn’t progress from that tie.

I think it’s a really well produced and enjoyable series.
This user liked this post: diamondpocket

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:59 pm

The only thing that still gripes me on that Olympiakos away game is Long & Gibson at centre half.
A first game together, new player in Gibson at the club, and Long as 4th choice back up was always gonna be tough in such a hostile, intense game. The atmosphere was electric from the home side.
Gibson clearly shouldn't have been sent off & Long played as reliably as he has always done but with Mee & Tarks I'd have felt more confident of a better result. Just wasn't to be in the end but fond memories.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:13 pm

diamondpocket wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:59 pm
The only thing that still gripes me on that Olympiakos away game is Long & Gibson at centre half.
A first game together, new player in Gibson at the club, and Long as 4th choice back up was always gonna be tough in such a hostile, intense game. The atmosphere was electric from the home side.
Gibson clearly shouldn't have been sent off & Long played as reliably as he has always done but with Mee & Tarks I'd have felt more confident of a better result. Just wasn't to be in the end but fond memories.
I think we found it difficult balancing the league & these qualifiers. I’m sure, given another opportunity, we’d do it differently but the fact remains that we should have easily overturned that deficit in the second leg.
This user liked this post: diamondpocket

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:20 pm

I'll watch the vids later, but to get this subject back on topic I didn't attend any of these games, however my uncle did attend at Aberdeen & Olympiakos, and he said it was a great experience, and that's from someone who's been following the Clarets for 50+ years.

Now we might get another taste of this in the near future, but it's unlikely unfortunately, however despite not making the group stages we did at least put BFC back on the map, and for that we should pay thanks to SD the players and everybody else involved in attaining this success, it would have been hard to imagine anything like this when we were traipsing around the lower leagues during the 80's and 90's.