Energy Switch

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Utility (gas and electric) tariffs

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:24 pm

Hi all,

I will shortly be coming to the end of my current tariff (Scottish Power) for Gas and Electricity. As usual, I’ve done a price comparison and got several quotes.

However, having read the small print, I’ve seen that many of the better deals state that ‘installation of a SMART Meter is mandatory’.

Each to their own, but my personal preference is not to have a SMART meter at this stage. I don’t need to know how much fuel I’m using, which appliances are costing me the most money, what time of day power is cheaper. I feel to be of reasonable intelligence, able to work this out for myself and generally not keen to share such data with third parties, which ultimately, this does.

I was just wondering if anyone here has recently entered into a decent contract (at least 12 months), with a company you can trust and where no S.Meter installation was mandatory? Any thoughts on the above would be much appreciated.

Thanks and UTC

John

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Re: Utility (gas and electric) tariffs

Post by Boss Hogg » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:38 pm

I’m with the same but not contracted and agree about Smart Meters.There are also other reasons why I don’t like them. Also if you are in a contract and move do you have to use the same provider for the new home ?

slough claret
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by slough claret » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:40 pm

Just changed mine as yourself was on Scottish Power (duel) ...did a comparison site price you said nearly all want you to have or install a SMART meter, which I didn't want.
In the end I went for British Gas Evolve, dont need meter, but you have to give them a meter reading every month via your account and pay direct debit....it came out the cheapest for me, some folk have had problems if things go wrong (see trust pilot or what ever its called), but I can only speak for myself and found everything ok ...
Hope that helps

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:48 pm

I use Octopus energy but did go for a smart meter because its very beneficial to me as an EV driver.

They are which recommended too and have a very straightforward website to use and have always done a decent job with customer service whenever I have had queries. You don't need a smart meter for their fixed tariff.

If you want to do a quote with them and get £50 credit (I get the same too) if you decide to go ahead with them, please feel free to use my link

https://share.octopus.energy/green-seal-882

If you would prefer to not use my referral link, please go direct to them https://octopus.energy/

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:51 pm

Bulb energy.
They are pushing Smart Meters but you can state you don't want them - so not mandatory.

By far the lowest duel fuel price for me paid monthly D'Debit.

Plus let me know if you decide to go with them as I can save both you and I a further £50 each if I recommend you / you state You were rec'd by me.

By far the best customer service too. Compared to EON / Brit' Gas.

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:51 pm

Have smart meters installed as required by the supplier, this allows them to read your meter without having to pay someone to come read the meter. All you have to do is not plug in the meter reading unit and nowt changes for you.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:52 pm

I too recommend Octopus. One company i really must say avoid in Eon. They are single handedly the worst company i have every had to deal with, and i have had to deal with Vodafone!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:05 pm

I'm with Octopus and it's been great so far. They don't charge you for leaving.

Remember you are only paying for the customer service.

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:32 pm

I switched from British Gas to Utility Point on 1st Jan this year using the 'Look after my bills' service.

Did have a smart meter with BG but one isn't required for UP, you just have to provide a meter reading once a month on-line.

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:36 pm

Barry_Chuckle wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:51 pm
Have smart meters installed as required by the supplier, this allows them to read your meter without having to pay someone to come read the meter. All you have to do is not plug in the meter reading unit and nowt changes for you.
Not quite true. Theres a few issues with smart meters, one of which is the ability for companies to programme them to use dynamic tariffs, so for example they could whack your electricity price up during peak times. Another thing is they can also be programmed to measure apparent power, which is something that costs energy companies at the moment, because dumb meters can't measure it - that will be passed onto consumers ultimately.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:42 pm

Smart meters might be useful if they weren't so dumb. Mine can't read the Gas meter because it's over one room away. The 2 meters must be all of 15m apart and it can't read them both.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:56 pm

I got a quote inc all the smaller companies and ended up with Symbio. Never heard of them. No smart meter.

Switch was fine. Electric still flowing. Bills less.

I am sure others are as competitive. For me Octopus did not come close.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:49 pm

Thanks to all those of you who have replied so far.

Fretters
Been Liked: 1034 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by Fretters » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:59 pm

Another vote for Octopus here. They're so good, I've managed to refer 6 people without much effort at all. £300 made for nothing!

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1779 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:08 pm

I doubt that installation of a smart meeting is 'mandatory' but no doubt they'll think of lots of other reasons not to give you the deal if you don't accept one.

It's a load of bluster, one company tried to threaten me with a solicitor's letter for refusing their meter. I still don't have a smart meter, and I subsequently received compensation from the aforementioned.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:16 pm

I receive texts, emails and phone calls from S.Power, weekly, about the need for a Smart Meter! It’s a Joke

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:19 pm

Another vote for octopus

Customer service is top notch and I pay £70 a month for 2 of us in a decent sized 3 bed. Could probably save £3 a month switching but the service is brilliant.

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:21 pm

Octopus for me too been a fantastic half year with them so far.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:19 am

And, another with Octopus. Just signed up for another 12 months fixed and on their "best green tariff."

I used to work in the wholesale side of the industry. I've got a little experience of the challenges for the retail gas and elec companies.

Gov't wants all residential properties to install smart meters. This policy dates back to Labour gov't pre-2010. All major utility companies have been given targets for installations and they pay penalties if they are behind target. (I think most still are).

But, like many IT things the gov't does, the technology was rushed. So, first stage "smart" meters have often been "not that smart, at all." The gov't also wanted consumers to move between utility suppliers - but first generation smart meters didn't work if you changed supplier.

I believe second generation meters are fixing these problems. Though, last time I looked it was still possible that they'd try and install first generation, so I've stayed away.

The wholesale elec market prices energy in 30 minutes time slots. The suppliers all assume an "industry standard" residential consumer profile, which, of course, is a massive average. They like to have customer meter readings so that they can keep track of actual consumption. The atypical cold weather we are currently experiencing will put them under some financial pressure. The better information they can get on consumption the better it is for them - and the lower their prices may be for us as consumers - though, don't forget there are a lot of fixed costs and energy is only roughly half of our total bill.

I don't find it any hardship submitting meter readings once a month.

I read of an interesting development that's been announced by Good Energy. It will be particularly attractive for owners of EVs. At certain times of the year, for 4 hours at a time, they will "give away" electricity for free. It will be free when there is more energy being generated by wind turbines, typically over night, of course. They will give plenty of notice of when the free periods are coming - so, that will be the time to fully charge your ev. Of course, I'm sure a smart meter will also be required, though I'd expect if you've got an ev you've also got the meter.

Fretters

Post by Fretters » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:58 am

I got the smart meter from Octopus and I like having it. It stopped me having to take manual readings and it helps me work out exactly what I've spent and am likely to spend each month. I've never seen the issue with them, to be honest.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:42 am

Avro energy, £65 a month, no smart meter, 4 beds, 3 floors. Cheap as chips.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:48 am

I’ve also recently moved to AVRO with no smart meter.

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:40 am

A good thread you've started jdr. Our gas and electricity contracts are due for renewal in the next couple of months so this info is useful. We've never really wanted a smart meter but no doubt it will come where you've no choice, we'll see what happens.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:52 am

Vintage Claret wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:32 pm
I switched from British Gas to Utility Point on 1st Jan this year using the 'Look after my bills' service.

Did have a smart meter with BG but one isn't required for UP, you just have to provide a meter reading once a month on-line.
I'm with UP as well. Decent company with competitive prices. The only thing to watch out for is any sneaky emails from them asking to up the DD payments that you originally agreed to due to seasonal changes. They want you to have a large credit in place so in effect they have your money in advance. Always refuse requests of this nature. They set the original DD amount and whilst your costs will vary due to the seasons and energy usage, it should even out over the course of the year.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:57 am

In a related post, has anyone installed the Hive systems?
If so are you seeing the benefit or is this just a nice toy.

Thanks

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:04 am

Burnleyareback2 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:57 am

Thanks
We’ve got one. Had it installed as the old thermostat was knackered, so we will definitely be saving money but it’s not noticeable, it’s a very nice toy though and well worth it.

PS, they are always discounted in the Black Friday sales.

Eddiebfc
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Eddiebfc » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:12 am

Whilst it's useful to post this information it doesn't really help without tariff rates and standing charges etc. I'm due to switch in June and Avro is coming up as one of the cheapest on the comparison websites. The cheapest by far is currently a company called Orbit Energy. It's a variable tariff however so could increase at anytime? Rates are 12.172p for Electric and 2.582p Gas. Standing charges 24.287p and 26.496p per day. Unfortunately for me even they are higher than my current deal which I fixed a couple of years ago!

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:59 am

Many thanks, all.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:59 am

Lovely to read varied contributions, without any disagreement or threadjacking, too.

Fretters

Post by Fretters » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:10 am

Burnleyareback2 wrote:

Thanks
I've got a Nest and it's great with clever little features. For example, my wife and I's phones are linked to it so it knows when we're both out and switches off the heating accordingly, then back on when one of us gets back within a set radius of home.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:16 am

Is it worth going with a company such as 'Lookaftermybills' who switch your account to the cheapest tariff each year rather than you having to do it?

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:24 am

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/

Renewable energy.

Don't know about smart meters for new customers - I don't have one but want one.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:31 am

Spijed wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:16 am
Is it worth going with a company such as 'Lookaftermybills' who switch your account to the cheapest tariff each year rather than you having to do it?
As long as you realise no company works for free.

If it's a free comparison site they will be getting paid off the companies they reccomend.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:58 am

It's getting harder and harder to get a cheap tariff, the top picks all require you to have a smart meter.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:05 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:24 pm
Hi all,

I will shortly be coming to the end of my current tariff (Scottish Power) for Gas and Electricity. As usual, I’ve done a price comparison and got several quotes.

However, having read the small print, I’ve seen that many of the better deals state that ‘installation of a SMART Meter is mandatory’.

Each to their own, but my personal preference is not to have a SMART meter at this stage. I don’t need to know how much fuel I’m using, which appliances are costing me the most money, what time of day power is cheaper. I feel to be of reasonable intelligence, able to work this out for myself and generally not keen to share such data with third parties, which ultimately, this does.

I was just wondering if anyone here has recently entered into a decent contract (at least 12 months), with a company you can trust and where no S.Meter installation was mandatory? Any thoughts on the above would be much appreciated.

Thanks and UTC

John
The only third party it shares it with is the electricity company. Is this what you mean?

My smart meter (with bulb) has options for how often it takes readings. It can be at the granular level with every half hour readings down to just taking a reading every month which obviously isn't any different to a monthly manual meter reading.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:20 pm

Yeah

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:38 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:42 am
Avro energy, £65 a month, no smart meter, 4 beds, 3 floors. Cheap as chips.
For gas and electricity?

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:43 pm

I've used Ovo for my last 2 contracts.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:47 pm

Leisure wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:38 pm
For gas and electricity?
Yes thats right.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:49 pm

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:49 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:47 pm
Yes thats right.
Just been on their site for a quote - 3 beds, 2 floors = £126 pm. You must spend a lot of time sat in the dark freezing! ;)

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:50 pm

Leisure wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:49 pm
Just been on their site for a quote - 3 beds, 2 floors = £126 pm. You must spend a lot of time sat in the dark freezing! ;)
whats your email address, ill send you my bills.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:52 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:50 pm
whats your email address, ill send you my bills.
No need. I do believe what you say. You must be using half my consumption.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:53 pm

Leisure wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:52 pm
only 2 of us live here, what they quoted originally has ended up being nothing like what we use.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:59 pm

Burnleyareback2 wrote:

Thanks
Had a Hive now for two and a half years. I'm not certain that it is a money saver but I find it more than useful when I'm out. If I leave home with the heating still on it reminds me when I'm a certain distance (which you set yourself) from the house and it also reminds you similarly, again from a distance of your choice, to switch it on if you are coming home. Very useful returning from a match (in the days when we could go) on a cold day to be able to walk into a warm house. It cost me less than £200 to have it installed and I think it's worth it.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:00 pm

Leisure wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:52 pm
If you fill in last years consumption (should be able to find on your account) they will give you an accurate estimation. But it still depends on how much you use in that month what you pay.

I was quoted 58 a month by Octopus and have already got 300 surplus in the account.
I have a 4 story terraced house but the kids aren't here as much these days.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:03 pm

Out of curiousity, I've just checked Octopus & Avro and have received quotes of £62 & £52.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:09 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:59 pm
Had a Hive now for two and a half years. I'm not certain that it is a money saver but I find it more than useful when I'm out. If I leave home with the heating still on it reminds me when I'm a certain distance (which you set yourself) from the house and it also reminds you similarly, again from a distance of your choice, to switch it on if you are coming home. Very useful returning from a match (in the days when we could go) on a cold day to be able to walk into a warm house. It cost me less than £200 to have it installed and I think it's worth it.
Setting your heating from a phone, good grief, before we know it we will need one to get into a football ground

Another vote for octopus.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:26 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:19 am

I don't find it any hardship submitting meter readings once a month.

I read of an interesting development that's been announced by Good Energy. It will be particularly attractive for owners of EVs. At certain times of the year, for 4 hours at a time, they will "give away" electricity for free. It will be free when there is more energy being generated by wind turbines, typically over night, of course. They will give plenty of notice of when the free periods are coming - so, that will be the time to fully charge your ev. Of course, I'm sure a smart meter will also be required, though I'd expect if you've got an ev you've also got the meter.
Good post Paul.
The EV 'freebies or heavily reduced could be useful, although prices at other times look to be higher, I read in an EV article. Good idea though.

My partner's son is in Spain and has a free hour each evening. Everything goes on in that hour!!!

Like you, my monthly reading is of interest, rather than a chore.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:29 pm

Grumps wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:09 pm
Setting your heating from a phone, good grief, before we know it we will need one to get into a football ground

Another vote for octopus.
Doesn't matter whether you are with British Gas, Octopus or whoever, Hive works. I was having a desperately new central heating system installed back in October 2018 and decided to add the Hive to it. I've found it useful but I don't need it, I just choose to use the App.