Falling out of love with this modern game of football

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
California Colner
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Falling out of love with this modern game of football

Post by California Colner » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:06 am

The game today is faster more skillful than it has ever been!
How come I feel that my love of the game is dying?
Things that go on in the game today are absolutely embarrassing, how the players can look at themselves after going down screaming as though they have been shot.
If our team wasn’t in the premier League I wouldn’t watch another game in the prem. One thing about our team we don’t participate in that behavior. The league should look at that as a example how players should act on a football field.
I know it’s good for Burnley FC to be in the prem financially and the town and long may it last!
The Italy game today there was some very good football played and there was some horrible sportsmanship or should I say cheating !! It drives me mad watching that S—t
What does everyone else think or are you satisfied with this modern game that’s being played?
One things for sure I’ll be 6ft under when I stop watching Burnley play 😎 UTC 👍
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas SussexDon1inIreland Claret

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 3187 times

Re: Falling out of love with this modern game of football

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:40 am

Have you just started watching football?
I haven’t seen cheating and diving anywhere near the levels of past tournaments ….. think Neymar.
The refereeing has been excellent & for the most part they’ve told them to get on with it.

I’ll take games like today …. Any day !

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:57 am

Spain started it now everyone is catching up. Players are entitled to go down when contact is made if they choose to moan and scream that's their choice. Contact is contact be it small or big imo.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:35 am

California Colner wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:06 am
One thing about our team we don’t participate in that behavior. The
We do, Barnes could be one of the biggest cheats in the league. We also play act with fouls, injuries etc and waste time.
We may not be at the same level as some teams, but we do it.
But we have to, because if we didn't other teams would have an unfair advantage.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1122 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:56 am

CFS wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:57 am
Spain started it now everyone is catching up. Players are entitled to go down when contact is made if they choose to moan and scream that's their choice. Contact is contact be it small or big imo.
Wrong, they are not “entitled” to go down, they have to be brought down. This is the biggest blight on the game today.

“Contact is contact” omg it’s a contact sport ffs
These 4 users liked this post: beddie DCWat tiger76 levraiclaret

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:02 am

superdimitri wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:35 am
We do, Barnes could be one of the biggest cheats in the league. We also play act with fouls, injuries etc and waste time.
But we have to, because if we didn't other teams would have an unfair advantage.
Unsurprisingly people seem to think that it’s alright when he does it cause that’s his character and game. He’s a disgrace at times.
This user liked this post: whiffa

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:18 am

RammyClaret61 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:56 am
Wrong, they are not “entitled” to go down, they have to be brought down. This is the biggest blight on the game today.

“Contact is contact” omg it’s a contact sport ffs
If a player gets touched he can go down doesn't have to be physically dragged to the floor this isn't the 60's football has been like this a long time now. Contact sport or not you can't touch a player this is how the game is now. These players aren't learning their trade as they go along they know exactly what touching a player will do.

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:30 am

Its cheating but seems to be ok for many people which seems to be normal in society & acceptable to many now. It only goes on because the clubs & football authorities are gutless & are not under pressure to clean the game up. They hate it here in Spain as well.

Petersa
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by Petersa » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:32 am

Have a lot of sympathy with the op. All teams do it to some degree and authorities quite literally do nothing about it.
To make matters worse Fulham look about appoint the ultimate cheat of a coach in Marco Silva. That surely is behaviour bringing the game into disrepute

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 835 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:46 am

CFS wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:18 am
If a player gets touched he can go down doesn't have to be physically dragged to the floor this isn't the 60's football has been like this a long time now. Contact sport or not you can't touch a player this is how the game is now. These players aren't learning their trade as they go along they know exactly what touching a player will do.
Wow.
Shocking post.
These 4 users liked this post: bobinho Claret Vino blanco levraiclaret

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 310 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:59 am

superdimitri wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:35 am
It annoys me when people say Barnes is a cheat or diver. I don’t see that , Barnes plays a different game to those that go down off the slightest touch.
What I see him doing in most instances is trying to gain the space in front of a defender to receive the ball or similar when receiving a high ball to get in a position to best control the ball. This often invites a foul from the defender as they are trying to get into the same space to attack the ball.

I can never remember Barnes diving for a penalty, in fact it is usually the other way round , there have been several times when he has been fouled in the box and the penalty is not given.
These 9 users liked this post: fatboy47 Zlatan Woodleyclaret SussexDon1inIreland Stayingup Bosscat Ashingtonclaret46 tim_noone levraiclaret

eastanglianclaret
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by eastanglianclaret » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:12 am

My Italian acquaintances don't call it cheating, they call it 'finding a way to win'. Very sad. I don't watch much football nowadays unless Burnley are involved, far too often I find it embarrassing to watch. The current Euros have exemplified numerous times however just how well the game can flow and how much more attractive it can be when diving and falling over due to minimal (if any) contact is ignored by referees. More often than not the players get up quickly when they realise they didn't get the decision. Such 'Lazarus' incidents are a real spoiler for me.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6572 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:15 am

The game as we know it now is an embarrassment. I really don’t know how it’s got to this stage tbh. Grown men yelping and rolling around banging the grass with their hands in apparent agony, only for them to run it off seconds later. All to gain an unfair advantage…. It’s absolutely cheating. No other words for it. As long as referees fall for it, they will continue to do it because modern day footballers lack character, they lack integrity and they lack morals.

I have waited a long long time for Burnley to be great again, so I won’t be giving this up anytime soon, but I absolutely HATE the blatant cheating that we see in every single game.
These 6 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland Whitgord Claret RalphCoatesComb levraiclaret depechedingle

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1487 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:28 am

OP is spot on Italy has some very skilful footballers who find it compulsory to cheat and con free kicks
Oliver was the usual incompetent fool ignoring blatant body checks,shirt pulling and trips by Italy
Playing out from the back is also killing the game passes across and back incessantly drives me insane
The sight of a flying winger skinning defenders and providing goal scoring chances is sadly lacking ,Adama Traore being one exception. The sort of player who excites and entertains.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:39 am

northeastclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:59 am
It annoys me when people say Barnes is a cheat or diver. I don’t see that , Barnes plays a different game to those that go down off the slightest touch.
What I see him doing in most instances is trying to gain the space in front of a defender to receive the ball or similar when receiving a high ball to get in a position to best control the ball. This often invites a foul from the defender as they are trying to get into the same space to attack the ball.

I can never remember Barnes diving for a penalty, in fact it is usually the other way round , there have been several times when he has been fouled in the box and the penalty is not given.
Sorry, never meant to annoy you.
To me, Barnes is very clever with his play, one moment he will show strength, and the next he will drop to the ground. It makes it hard for the defender since he doesn't know whether to challenge, or stand off. Barnes also plays to the ref, and to the crowd. If we get a bad decision against us, he'll let the ref know and next time he has a chance to buy a freekick falling over, he will.
This ability to 'buy' fouls is no different from extending your leg deliberately, or leaving your foot behind to buy a foul.

Barnes may not be rolling around on the floor, but its still cheating. Honestly I can't see how you can't see this, he falls over way too often. In some games last season all he did when coming off the bench was falling over.

He also has had embarrassing moments where he's tried to buy penalties diving in the box. A bit of a nasty side, and he's no stranger to the usual shirt tugging and wrestling either.

I think personally you're looking at things through claret specs, the guy cheats and in the modern game that's only a good thing considering everyone does it against us, but you can't escape the truth.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:43 am

djemba-djemba wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:02 am
Unsurprisingly people seem to think that it’s alright when he does it cause that’s his character and game. He’s a disgrace at times.
Unfortunately, for me it’s the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Barnes, when on his day there a really good footballer in there.
I think I get as ****** off with it as opposite fans do, however some of our fans are very blinkered about it and simple call it ‘**** housing’ rather than cheating
This user liked this post: depechedingle

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:49 am

100% with the OP. I've started watching non-league stuff and enjoy it more than 90% of the PL games

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3605 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:11 am

CFS wrote:
You’ve managed to sum up just what is wrong with football, on the field, in one post, CFS. How some appear to have accepted the phrase “entitled to go down” is beyond me. The worst phrase in modern football.
These 4 users liked this post: Caballo bobinho tiger76 levraiclaret

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:47 am

California Colner wrote:
The game today is faster more skillful than it has ever been!
How come I feel that my love of the game is dying?
Things that go on in the game today are absolutely embarrassing, how the players can look at themselves after going down screaming as though they have been shot.
If our team wasn’t in the premier League I wouldn’t watch another game in the prem. One thing about our team we don’t participate in that behavior. The league should look at that as a example how players should act on a football field.
I know it’s good for Burnley FC to be in the prem financially and the town and long may it last!
The Italy game today there was some very good football played and there was some horrible sportsmanship or should I say cheating !! It drives me mad watching that S—t
What does everyone else think or are you satisfied with this modern game that’s being played?
One things for sure I’ll be 6ft under when I stop watching Burnley play 😎 UTC 👍
Italy have been doing that for decades, it’s not a modern thing, although I accept it’s only entered domestic football in the last 25 years or so.

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:56 am

CFS wrote:
I can't agree with the 'entitled' bit I'm afraid. Free kicks should be awarded not won or earned by theatrics. As much as I don't like it, it's part of the modern game. It is one of a number of things that are dampening my enthusiasm, many of which have been discussed before.

This beautiful game, a contact sport, is being transformed into quite the opposite. And it's a shame. Heck, you can't even celebrate a goal without casting your eye at the ref checking for VAR.

UTC
Come on England!

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:05 am

Italy must have been rubbing their hands when they learned that Oliver was the referee. The screaming and diving is rife in the PL and also the awarding of free kicks for the slightest contact.
In my opinion, Oliver's performance was the worst of any referee in the tournament so far.
These 2 users liked this post: Stayingup Claret

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1830 times
Has Liked: 2624 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:06 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:28 am
OP is spot on Italy has some very skilful footballers who find it compulsory to cheat and con free kicks
Oliver was the usual incompetent fool ignoring blatant body checks,shirt pulling and trips by Italy
Playing out from the back is also killing the game passes across and back incessantly drives me insane
The sight of a flying winger skinning defenders and providing goal scoring chances is sadly lacking ,Adama Traore being one exception. The sort of player who excites and entertains.
You are quite correct about Oliver ignoring blatant body checks, shirt pulling and trips by Italy. He was in St Petersburg which was far enough away from Munich for him to be able to do anything about whatever Italy were doing.
These 2 users liked this post: JohnMac Silkyskills1

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:07 am

Haha. Hilarious. So nobody has an axe to grind with Michael Oliver. But here we have two people calling his performance in the Italy v Belgium game the worst of the tournament when he didn’t even referee the game. Comedy gold. Don’t change lads.
These 2 users liked this post: JohnMac Silkyskills1

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:08 am

Siddo wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:05 am
Italy must have been rubbing their hands when they learned that Oliver was the referee. The screaming and diving is rife in the PL and also the awarding of free kicks for the slightest contact.
In my opinion, Oliver's performance was the worst of any referee in the tournament so far.
:lol:

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1830 times
Has Liked: 2624 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:15 am

Siddo wrote:
Except that he was not refereeing but don't let it stop the agenda against one of our PL referees.
Slavko Vincic refereed very well and did not stop the game for players feigning injury and doing all the things that modern players do.

Apart from games in which England have played, the worst game of this tournament so far has been Belgium v Portugal and this was the one that had the most Premier League players taking part in. It was the modern game at its worst.
This user liked this post: Hipper

SussexDon1inIreland
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 8528 times

Post by SussexDon1inIreland » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:20 am

Haven’t watched the Euros don’t watch any football anymore except super Burnley but even then hate the way teams mainly foreign players cheat

UTC

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:31 am

Very hard to see how you can fall out of love with modern football when we've had

- Spain v Croatia
- France v Switzerland
- Italy v Belgium

Three utterly compelling and brilliant football matches, and absolutely nothing to do with Burnley

Just enjoy it
This user liked this post: tim_noone

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 310 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:33 am

superdimitri wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:39 am
Sorry, never meant to annoy you.
To me, Barnes is very clever with his play, one moment he will show strength, and the next he will drop to the ground. It makes it hard for the defender since he doesn't know whether to challenge, or stand off. Barnes also plays to the ref, and to the crowd. If we get a bad decision against us, he'll let the ref know and next time he has a chance to buy a freekick falling over, he will.
This ability to 'buy' fouls is no different from extending your leg deliberately, or leaving your foot behind to buy a foul.

Barnes may not be rolling around on the floor, but its still cheating. Honestly I can't see how you can't see this, he falls over way too often. In some games last season all he did when coming off the bench was falling over.

He also has had embarrassing moments where he's tried to buy penalties diving in the box. A bit of a nasty side, and he's no stranger to the usual shirt tugging and wrestling either.

I think personally you're looking at things through claret specs, the guy cheats and in the modern game that's only a good thing considering everyone does it against us, but you can't escape the truth.
We will have to agree to disagree on Barnes. Burnley have an unfair reputation that we are over physical and we see a lot of teams way of responding to this is for their centre halves being very physical and coming through the back of our forwards. Fulham at home was a classic example of this when both our forwards got injured during that game and got little or no protection from the referee.

When you get smacked in the back as often as Barnes does, although I don’t think he played in that game, you don’t have to pretend to fall over. As I said he is trying to protect the space to best receive or control the ball.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32409 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:33 am

Siddo wrote:
Referee as the Slovenian who refereed our away game against Olympiacos.

On the subject of the modern game and players cheating, I was at a function at our football club back in 2006 when Jimmy McIlroy was asked about (foreign) players diving and rolling round to get decisions. Jimmy's response that he did it if he thought he could get a decision in his favour.

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:37 am

It’s part and parcel of the game and has been for ages.

I think it’s brilliant at times, seeing what ludicrous stuff they can get away with. It’s a part of the game Burnley need to get better at.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6486 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:44 am

A disgraceful cheat

https://fb.watch/v/GIg97C6i/

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3605 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:08 am

Steve1956 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:44 am
A disgraceful cheat

https://fb.watch/v/GIg97C6i/
He should be banned for a game for that. Unless they start cracking down on blatant cheating, it’ll only get worse.
These 2 users liked this post: Steve1956 tiger76

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6486 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:11 am

DCWat wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:08 am
He should be banned for a game for that. Unless they start cracking down on blatant cheating, it’ll only get worse.
Bad enough the cheating....but the embarrassment he must feel when he looks back at that,do you think he will be showing his grandkids that one

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:17 am

Steve1956 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:11 am
Bad enough the cheating....but the embarrassment he must feel when he looks back at that,do you think he will be showing his grandkids that one
Unfortunately, I doubt that type of human being has any shame :lol:

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:17 am

I would cringe if I behaved like that, retrospective bans and possible points deductions for persistent cheats, also more yellows and reds for dissent .
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:50 am

The problem isn't so much that they do it, it's that they get away with it. The modern conception of "entitled to go down because they were touched" "he drew the foul well there very clever play" is part of the problem. We've begun to accept cheating and even condoning it on occassions yet more obvious fouls like holding and shirt pulling inside the box are just ignored.

There is no excuse for cheating but the fact that the punishment outweighs the crime seems to excuse it. It's far easier to get a penalty these days than score a goal and the result 99% of the time is the same, a goal on the scoresheet. I don't know the answer but we need to change the rules because dubious penalties and fractional offsides are ruining the game IMO.

VAR was supposed to be the answer but it has made the game even worse and taken a lot of excitement away from it.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2973 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:06 am

djemba-djemba wrote:
Complete and utter bo11ocks. He's robust, yes, cheat ? NO !!!!
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony levraiclaret

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:01 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:15 am
Except that he was not refereeing but don't let it stop the agenda against one of our PL referees.
Slavko Vincic refereed very well and did not stop the game for players feigning injury and doing all the things that modern players do.

Apart from games in which England have played, the worst game of this tournament so far has been Belgium v Portugal and this was the one that had the most Premier League players taking part in. It was the modern game at its worst.
Oops! I got that one wrong! Apologies guys.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:32 pm

The referees allow this stuff, stop and start game, it's gone downhill fast.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:55 pm

I can live with the cheating and play acting. The ref can put a stop to that, not that they ever will.
It is the time wasting that pees me off. The sooner a stop clock is brought in the better. We are being robbed of game time.

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:16 pm

California Colner wrote:
Absolutely agree with you CC.
I love watching the footy whether it’s Belgium v Italy or a Sunday game on Towneley but to watch some of the ******** that goes on at the highest level is so annoying. The screaming, the falling over at the slightest touch, the phrases “won a free kick” and “entitled to go down”, the very fact that many, many people urge players to fall over when touched because otherwise the ref will not give a foul (that’s because it’s NOT a bloody foul!), VAR, stupid hand ball decisions, weak referees, too much money, greedy owners and corruption at the highest levels, to name but a few!
These 2 users liked this post: California Colner Whitgord

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:18 pm

California Colner wrote:
The Italians have always been good at cheating. Goes back a long way...

"Et tu Brute?"

There is a lot in the modern game that puts me off but I pay for 90 minutes football, not 50 minutes of passing across the back 3, or 4, with a further 15 minutes of rolling around the ground like a tart. Thank goodness for the Sean Dyche Way

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:27 pm

djemba-djemba wrote:
The problem with Ash is that he's not very good at it. His "crucifixion" fall has me cringing at times.

As someone has said, there's a good footballer in there trying to get out !

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:43 pm

I don’t know if it’s going to be too late for me but there is a recipe to restore at least some love for the modern game:
Burnley to try in the FA Cup;
A change to the VAR set up to remove the old boys club that exists;
Find referees that are as good as the European referees;
England to win the Euros;
The Americans’ to prove they are more than opportunists gambling with our club

That would do for me for starters

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:55 pm

Count how many go down faking head injuries to get play stopped.
I'd bring in a rule that if a player stays down after contact he has to go off for 5 minutes...they'd be up as quick as possible then.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:38 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/co ... liverpool/

Take those tinted specs off fellas.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:45 am

superdimitri wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:38 am
https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/co ... liverpool/

Take those tinted specs off fellas.
Barnes does go down too easily at times when challenging in the air, with his back to goal and lots of distance from the goal, but it's following contact and is in no way comparable to some of the diving that goes on without any contact, especially in or around the box. This is well illustrated by your link.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1406 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:46 am

Given that VAR is here to stay, why isn't it being used/applied in both directions?
The on-field referees/VAR officials will watch the slow motion replays to help decide if a foul has been committed and also to assess just how serious a foul it's been; if it proves 'bad', then a yellow/red card will be issued as a result. I see no reason why if that replay shows that the 'fouled' player actually 'took a dive' that he similarly shouldn't be receiving a yellow card.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:47 am

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:18 pm
The Italians have always been good at cheating. Goes back a long way...

"Et tu Brute?"

There is a lot in the modern game that puts me off but I pay for 90 minutes football, not 50 minutes of passing across the back 3, or 4, with a further 15 minutes of rolling around the ground like a tart. Thank goodness for the Sean Dyche Way
Stop paying then.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:34 pm

Well if last night's display didn't reawaken your love for the beautiful game then nothing will. that's exactly what we've all been waiting for England to finally blow a team away in style, and boy we definitely did that against Ukraine.