ARTICLE: Welsh international Hennessey signs for Clarets

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Re: ARTICLE: Welsh international Hennessey signs for Clarets

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:52 pm

COBBLE wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:36 pm
Good move. Stronger no 2 and a recovery plan for BPF that presumably covers some of WH's salary. Could Billy Mercer teach him anything?
How to become a world class keeping coach, while working for a world class goalkeeping coach, I suspect was a primary reason he picked us over Chelsea.

So yes a very good move all round by the look of it.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:59 pm

Even if we only need him for three or four games. Hopefully don’t even need that. I’m sure our defence and the fans will be much more confident with him between the sticks.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:04 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:59 pm
Even if we only need him for three or four games. Hopefully don’t even need that. I’m sure our defence and the fans will be much more confident with him between the sticks.

Well he's been fantastic so far. ;)

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32409 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:06 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:11 pm
However where does this now leave us in terms of keepers, Pope, Hennessey, BPF, Norris & Jensen, they can't all play even in the cups or development fixtures, so at least one must surely be going out on loan, BPF seems to be the favourite for that gig.
BPF expected to go out, Jensen already has.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:14 pm

Good signing. Just hope he behaves himself at the Christmas party
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:21 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:06 pm
BPF expected to go out, Jensen already has.
defence,

So that leaves us with Pope, WH & Norris, I have to say that looks much better than Pope, BPF & Norris, let's just hope BPF can get a decent loan ideally a Championship club if possible.

It's difficult to judge either BPF or Norris as they've had limited appearances, particularly playing behind our regular defence, but on the small amount of evidence we've seen neither look up to becoming a 1st choice PL keeper, and unfortunately we have to be ruthless as a club, and move players on if they aren't up to the required standard.

Of the two BPF is more likely to get a move, and he's still young enough to improve, and probably attract a useful fee should we wish to consider letting him go, although whether we'd recoup our £3.5m outlay is doubtful I'm afraid.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:32 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:21 pm
defence,

So that leaves us with Pope, WH & Norris, I have to say that looks much better than Pope, BPF & Norris, let's just hope BPF can get a decent loan ideally a Championship club if possible.

It's difficult to judge either BPF or Norris as they've had limited appearances, particularly playing behind our regular defence, but on the small amount of evidence we've seen neither look up to becoming a 1st choice PL keeper, and unfortunately we have to be ruthless as a club, and move players on if they aren't up to the required standard.

You may well be right.
But my personal opinion is that our defence without Pope is a shadow of what it is when he plays.

the_fat_shearer
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by the_fat_shearer » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:14 am

Claret_tinted wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:48 pm
Don’t underestimate Billy M being a big big draw for players who are looking to get into coaching and learning from one of the very best
Fair point. Not a bad track record indeed.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:53 am

I was playing golf yesterday with a Palace fan and he asked what my thoughts were for the coming season. I expressed the concerns that have been well covered on here - ageing squad, total lack of pace throughout the side and lack of incomings so far. We have only signed Collins from Stoke and your old keeper Hennessey.

Ah yes, you have signed old Crisp Packet Hands haven't you? So called because of the number of shots he gets his hands to but manages to let the ball into the net....

The last time i spoke to a rival fan about an incoming keeper was when we signed Brian Jensen from WBA. The only comment he would make was "he's a big lad". Anything else? He's a big lad, make your mind up on the rest when you see him. This was just prior to him conceding 3 at home to Palace on his league debut. And then 4 in his next game doing his old side a favour at The Hawthorns. And the second worst goals against total in the league of 77 that year...

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:56 am

Herts Clarets wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:53 am
I was playing golf yesterday with a Palace fan and he asked what my thoughts were for the coming season. I expressed the concerns that have been well covered on here - ageing squad, total lack of pace throughout the side and lack of incomings so far. We have only signed Collins from Stoke and your old keeper Hennessey.

Ah yes, you have signed old Crisp Packet Hands haven't you? So called because of the number of shots he gets his hands to but manages to let the ball into the net....

The last time i spoke to a rival fan about an incoming keeper was when we signed Brian Jensen from WBA. The only comment he would make was "he's a big lad". Anything else? He's a big lad, make your mind up on the rest when you see him. This was just prior to him conceding 3 at home to Palace on his league debut. And then 4 in his next game doing his old side a favour at The Hawthorns. And the second worst goals against total in the league of 77 that year...
Happens with all supporters you speak to at every club. They tend to point out the negatives in a player.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:00 am

You've got to hope Pope stays fit this season

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:03 am

Spijed wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:56 am
Happens with all supporters you speak to at every club. They tend to point out the negatives in a player.
The Baggies fan wasn't far wrong was he....

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 473 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:05 am

A Leeds fan told me that they called BPF ‘biscuit wrists’. Is that better than ‘crisp packet’?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:14 am

Charlton fans used to call Pope soufflé shoulders and he turned out alright

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32409 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:19 am

I remember going to West Brom in 2000/01 and we brought on Paul Crichton as a sub. The West Brom fans hated Crichton for once having a nightmare for them against Wolves so greeted him with chants of 'Dodgy Keeper'.

Soon after it was the Burnley fans chanting it when their goalkeeper went down like a sack of King Edward's, allowing a Graham Branch to go under him. That was the first time I saw Brian Jensen.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:48 am

Culmclaret wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:05 am
A Leeds fan told me that they called BPF ‘biscuit wrists’. Is that better than ‘crisp packet’?
Well! I bumped into a Leeds fan in our corner shop last week, bizarre in Glasgow I know, but there you go, and he really rated BPF and said we'd signed a good un with him, so this just illustrates how fans see players in a completely different light depending on your POV.

Didn't Tom Heaton and Nick Pope play in relegated sides that shipped masses of goals, and it's fair to say they've both proved to be inspired signings by SD, and one was a free, while the other cost less than £2m I believe.