Keith Treacy

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Fez
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Keith Treacy

Post by Fez » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:30 am

Code: Select all

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12359088/keith-treacy-on-the-alcohol-addiction-that-ended-his-career-at-26-and-wanting-to-help-others-avoid-his-mistakes

Tough read really is that but a good one.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 10008 times

Re: Keith Treacy

Post by Juan Tanamera » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:36 am

That isn't a link.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:39 am

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:43 am

A sad story, a wasted talent!

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:47 am

CleggHall wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:43 am
A sad story, a wasted talent!
Very sad...there was an excellent footballer in there somewhere. :cry:

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:54 am

Always found it strange that Clarke Carlisle got a lot of support from us, and rightly so, but the likes of Keith Treacy and Marvin Sordell didn't when they should have been afforded the same support.

Tough read, but one line stood out there for me.

"I am in a much better place mentally and physically," he adds.

Thank goodness for that and all the very best to him.
This user liked this post: aclaretinstevenage

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:57 am

Interesting to read how he used to search out comments on social media and how the criticism hurt. I’m sure he’ll have browsed this message board (or it’s predecessor) a few times. People really do need to think about what they’re writing and remember it’s another human being at the other end of the barbed comments.
Last edited by martin_p on Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 3 users liked this post: ClaretTony Juan Tanamera bfcjg

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:59 am

Instead of returning to playing, maybe the PFA should employ him to visit all the club's and talk to the players, both young and old, about his journey, problems and to offer support to any who feel they're going through the same.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:01 am

I always say that being an alcoholic is not a persons fault but failing to deal with it is.
Sadly not everyone can deal with it and no matter how much help one can give a pesron, in today's environment and culture where not taking alcohol is considered to be abnormal, and Mr Blair made life even more difficult for problem drinkers, many fail to deal with it.Lets hope he remains well in body and mind.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:02 am

A sad tale and probably a lot more common place within the pyramid of England than we know. I actually thought Treacy was pretty good in the 13/14 promotion season, he played his part in that squad and scored a few goals too.

Without turning this into a Howe bashing thread, I remember when were being linked with signing him from Preston that Phil Brown had (allegedly) said "Eddie won't be able to manage him". Turned out correct. Dyche at least got something out of him that one season he had him (I think the 6 months prior he was out on loan somewhere).

It is good to hear he is somewhat at peace with his past now and he is correct, a fit Keith Treacy at 32 would rip that league up I should think.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:04 am

I think we can all recall that Sean Dyche did get him some way back to playing and even when he left us at the end of the 2013/14 season he was offered a return on a trial basis. Now we all understand why Dyche did that.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:08 am

A wasted natural talent but was given plenty of footballing chances that others haven’t had. A lot of self pity in that article and I’m not sure he was cut off for a professional footballing career even without the drinking. The attitude didn’t seem like it was right from the off. It’s not a given that training finishes at 1pm and you go off the rails in the afternoon as you’ve nothing to do. Thousands of others have made a career by making sacrifices at a young age and finding something constructive to do in the afternoon.

It incenses me that a player would pull on a BFC shirt ‘drunk’ or hungover when some fans have flogged their guts off in a factory all week so they can afford to go and watch players who are well paid. It’s stealing a living and ripping those fans off. Despite this I wish him well moving forward but he had plenty of chances in the past.

ClaretAndBlue94
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by ClaretAndBlue94 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:17 am

It strikes me that more could have been done at Burnley ?

Especially if the other players and management team could smell alcohol on him.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:27 am

ClaretAndBlue94 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:17 am
It strikes me that more could have been done at Burnley ?

Especially if the other players and management team could smell alcohol on him.
He had a difficult relationship with Howe that surfaced publicly when he scored against Bournemouth. Things improved in that respect with Dyche but at the end of the day there is only so much anyone can do to help someone who has any problems like this.

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 247 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:28 am

Someone who has a drink addition is one of the most difficult kind of person to be around, characterised by constant lying and refusal to believe their is problem and if there is one it is the fault of others.
I do thank Keith Treacy for offering to help others who find themselves addicted to alcohol and sharing his story.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Claret_tinted
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by Claret_tinted » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:53 am

Boss Hogg wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:08 am
A wasted natural talent but was given plenty of footballing chances that others haven’t had. A lot of self pity in that article and I’m not sure he was cut off for a professional footballing career even without the drinking. The attitude didn’t seem like it was right from the off. It’s not a given that training finishes at 1pm and you go off the rails in the afternoon as you’ve nothing to do. Thousands of others have made a career by making sacrifices at a young age and finding something constructive to do in the afternoon.

It incenses me that a player would pull on a BFC shirt ‘drunk’ or hungover when some fans have flogged their guts off in a factory all week so they can afford to go and watch players who are well paid. It’s stealing a living and ripping those fans off. Despite this I wish him well moving forward but he had plenty of chances in the past.
Without wanting to cause riots. I’d suggest you expand your knowledge and understanding about addiction before you come to a final conclusion.

Football is a very lonely place until you’ve got a wonderful wife and family to support you.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony Brucefanclaret

the_fat_shearer
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by the_fat_shearer » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:27 am

Extremely sad

I think that money, lifestyle, circumstances really shape you. I probably wouldn't be grounded or act the same as I do now had I earned incredible amounts of money at an early age and had the temptations and lifestyle of a rich, young footballer so don't want to judge Keith, just feel really sorry for him and those around him.

I was also shocked to see that he's still just 32!

His comments about the PFA and questioning whether it's reactive or proactive is a good question. I don't know the details of what they do and don't do but there are so many pitfalls for young men with time and money to burn.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:59 am

SouthLondonexile wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:28 am
Someone who has a drink addition is one of the most difficult kind of person to be around, characterised by constant lying and refusal to believe their is problem and if there is one it is the fault of others.
I do thank Keith Treacy for offering to help others who find themselves addicted to alcohol and sharing his story.
In your description of an alcoholic you just described a very good friend of ours,she would do anything for you but it's the constant denial and lying to us that hurts us so much,we know she has a problem she knows we know she has a problem but instead she gets by with lying and denial,she only needs to ask us and we would do all we could to help,she's a lovely woman to, but the alcohol is destroying her,suppose the last 18 months hasn't helped anyone that likes a drink,another problem swept under the carpet.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:01 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:57 am
Interesting to read how he used to search out comments on social media and how the criticism hurt. I’m sure he’ll have browsed this message board (or it’s predecessor) a few times. People really do need to think about what they’re writing and remember it’s another human being at the other end of the barbed comments.
100% and I know this for a fact, especially younger lads that are just getting game time, the likes of Benson who will read a lot of negative comments. A ****** up comment, posted in anger after a game

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:01 pm

When we signed him I thought WOW we have a talent. Not long before that he was deadly v us in that famous 4-3 win over PNE under Brian Laws, when he was a threat and scored a superb goal. Howe signed him and said we had "someone different". Think he scored for us in his debut. I saw him play several great games in the company of Eagles, Austin and Wallace. Shows the impact of alcohol and mental health issues

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:06 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:01 pm
100% and I know this for a fact, especially younger lads that are just getting game time, the likes of Benson who will read a lot of negative comments. A ****** up comment, posted in anger after a game
Not just the younger ones, as I found out in the past. I am blocked by Michael Vaughan :D I have never sent a message to him, never followed him or tweeted anything to him. I realised that I had replied to a mates comment on him by saying he was dull on commentary. He would only ever know this by searching his own name. You would think someone like him would have better things to do so you can guarantee that the younger ones certainly search their name.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:08 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:01 pm
If you’ve played **** and go searching for comments then you’re going to read peoples negative opinions. If you can’t deal with it, either don’t go looking for it or give the game up.

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:05 pm

A real shame. Was capable of delivering some wicked crosses into the box on his day. But as others have said, the main thing is he's on the mend now.

NickBFC
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 278 times

Post by NickBFC » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:05 pm

Glad to hear he's feeling better these days. Clearly a talented player, I hope he can have some success on the field in Ireland, and help others in the game with issues of their own. As for the social media comments, unfortunately it's part and parcel of the game - if you earn a decent living from football then you'll have to accept comments good and bad. Doesn't make it right but it is what it is.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:42 pm

Claret_tinted wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:53 am
Without wanting to cause riots. I’d suggest you expand your knowledge and understanding about addiction before you come to a final conclusion.

Football is a very lonely place until you’ve got a wonderful wife and family to support you.
No riot caused. I also don’t need to expand my knowledge thank you. I know someone who is an alcoholic and it’s dammed ugly. I’m thankful I don’t have an addictive personality and can take or leave most things and can enjoy anything in moderation. My post needed reading in context. Football isn’t necessarily a more lonely place than many other walks of life and many young players struggle through hard times and adversity to make it. Look at Andre Gray and Raheem Sterling. I stand by it that he was given plenty of footballing opportunities that others might not have. I also don’t want to see players in a BFC shirt who are not in the right state to play. I do wish him the best going forward.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2874 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:52 pm

Depression is a vile illness. Anyone criticising Tracey really does not understand.

Imagine a spiral of self loathing and hate where your own brain is undermining every aspect of you life. It took me three houses (the first in Read, had no remaining mortgage) and ten years to get out of the nose dive. It is the most destructive illness of them all. Most turn to drink in the morning so they can face the world… I used to drink way into the night (3 bottles of red minimum) per night and then convince myself I hadn’t a problem because I did not need a drink before work in the morning. It upsets me how many dinner times I struggled to stuff my dinner down just so I could function in the afternoon.

Until you realise you brain is diseased and is lying that you deserve the downward spiral originally beyond your control, but now as though you are aiming for one blow after another… like a punch drunk fighter… you simply cannot turn it around.

In a way I’m pleased that Keith has seen over the parapet so young. I had my mental breakdown a reasonably young man with the world at my feet and reawakened heading rapidly to towards old age… anyone who knows me (lol only a couple at most) and have wondered why I suddenly popped up doing a history degree… that was the reason. I needed to point the planes nose back up in the air as I try to climb over the last hurdle and prove to the demons still lurking… that it was not my fault it was a battle lost, but remains a war to be won.
These 3 users liked this post: Guller Bull Bosscat Thehistoryteacher

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:25 pm

SouthLondonexile wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:28 am
They are not all like that but spare a thought for the advise they are sometimes given "If you cannot stop try controlled drinking"
The thing that distinguishes me and many like me is that I can control my drinking-if alcoholics could control their drinking they wouldn't be alcoholics.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2874 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:45 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:25 pm
They are not all like that but spare a thought for the advise they are sometimes given "If you cannot stop try controlled drinking"
The thing that distinguishes me and many like me is that I can control my drinking-if alcoholics could control their drinking they wouldn't be alcoholics.
Drinking for many is the by product of the problem, not THE problem. I had liver damage, it didn’t stop my abuse for a second… but I’ve never been a big drinker. I went from three bottles of wine a night to pretty much t-total over night. Three years on I remain almost completely abstainent and rarely even think I fancy a drink these days… but I haven’t beaten the black dog, it remains to see if I ever will or I’ll just have to accept it will visit for the rest of my life… the main difference now is that it’s become an old friend, I recognise when it as it arrives and am aware of what it’s up to.
This user liked this post: Thehistoryteacher

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:57 pm

None of us know “exactly” the full facts of Keith’s life so being judgmental is not always helpful.

Addictions and other aspects of some peoples behaviours are often a result of childhood trauma and or other happenings then.

The right sort of therapy/therapist can often get to the bottom of this will the person involved so let’s all hope that Keith has turned the corner in time which it would seem he has.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:15 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:52 pm
Depression is a vile illness. Anyone criticising Tracey really does not understand.
elwaclaret has just nailed it with those two sentences.
These 3 users liked this post: Fez Thehistoryteacher Claret_tinted

Fez
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by Fez » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:20 pm

Sorry, didn't think I'd attached the link correctly!