bye-bye James Hargreaves

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Re: bye-bye James Hargreaves

Post by IanMcL » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:25 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:48 pm
No get a sponsor up and some money in. We know it is the Longside why on earth do we need signage to tell us?
It could still be sponsored as the company x Longside.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:57 pm

When I see photos of the packed Longside as above I genuinely feel sorry that my grandchildren will never witness the camaraderie,passion,noise chaos that was the Longside, loved it in there,influenced lots of games, definitely helped keep us in the league. So sad when we went through the dark days and a few hundred of us at the back kept it alive but it was still the Longside. Even now if I get a corporate do my mind harks back to the grass embankment behind,the bogs, the cinder hardcore around the wood hut bar with the vertical beer tube as you got a pint pulled, the crappy accy nori wall with the barbed wire stopping you getting onto the the roof as though you would, flashing v's and worse at away fans as they came in, the smoke the noise, your favourite step either before or behind a barrier etc, it will never be recreated.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1983 times
Has Liked: 2872 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:32 am

bfcjg wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:57 pm
When I see photos of the packed Longside as above I genuinely feel sorry that my grandchildren will never witness the camaraderie,passion,noise chaos that was the Longside, loved it in there,influenced lots of games, definitely helped keep us in the league. So sad when we went through the dark days and a few hundred of us at the back kept it alive but it was still the Longside. Even now if I get a corporate do my mind harks back to the grass embankment behind,the bogs, the cinder hardcore around the wood hut bar with the vertical beer tube as you got a pint pulled, the crappy accy nori wall with the barbed wire stopping you getting onto the the roof as though you would, flashing v's and worse at away fans as they came in, the smoke the noise, your favourite step either before or behind a barrier etc, it will never be recreated.
Yes but those memories come along with, footballers becoming kit-men and minors becoming groundsman of The Turf. The 70’s is better in rear view than in reality. Fond memories but life was pretty rough for a lot of folk.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:48 pm

I learned the hard way to not wait your turn to get to the troughs that were the toilets down the hill behind the longside. I did it once only, and that was when I felt a warm stream going down the back of my legs from some **** behind me