Sky Contract yet again.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
beddie
Been Liked: 1382 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Sky Contract yet again.

Post by beddie » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:48 am

If you’re current deal runs out shortly, just a warning to watch out for an email from Sky that’s headed “ We’ve given you another 12 months of savings”

“We noticed you have some offers ending soon. But the good news is, we’ve given you new offers for another 12 months and you don’t have to do a thing. So enjoy another great year with us while you continue to save. It’s our way of saying thank you for being with Sky.”

My renewal is due at the end of September, hence their email. Basically what they’ve done is put my previous deal (contract of 18 months expires) to the full price but then show a small discount on each package, they then show the total saving for the year, which makes you think, it’s a great deal, however, when you go into your bill for future payments you see that your actually paying a lot lot more each month, admitted I had an offer previously and will try for another one but they’ve been clever in the way they’ve put this together. The fact that they go on to say “No hidden costs” “ No new contract” No need to do anything” will catch some people out so do make sure you go into the actual deal. Personally I find this a little underhand but appreciate its not illegal. Anyway rant over. Good luck if you can negotiate a new deal, I’ll be trying in the next few weeks.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Re: Sky Contract yet again.

Post by ClaretAL » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:43 am

I have just gone through this, and went through the usual "cancel my contract route" only this time they actually allowed me to cancel giving the months notice without getting anywhere near what I'm currently paying and wanted another £18 more. 2 days later I received an email from them offering me the same package £4 cheaper.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:45 am

They have just put mine up £1 robbing gets. Paying £34 a month now for full package with about 18 months remaining on the offer.

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:48 am

I got a letter saying I now own the Sky box. Three days later there was a problem with it that could not be fixed and they tried making me pay around £80 for a new one.

I no longer have a Sky subscription.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:12 am

I call it the Sky Discount Dance, and it's a tedious dance you preform every 18 months. Last month I cancelled and fully intended to leave. I just didn't want to dance any more, and by that I mean talking to them on the phone for half an hour or via their chat facility. Then a few days before our 31 days' notice was up, they offered me our previous deal and I also didn't have their pathetic admin fee or April's (2021) price increase.

I wasn't going to pay a penny more than the previous deal, and fully intended to walk. Sky know it's in their interest to keep people like me on a contract. There will be a large percentage who walk, and never go back once they out of contract, no matter what they offer them.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:19 am

djemba-djemba wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:48 am
I got a letter saying I now own the Sky box. Three days later there was a problem with it that could not be fixed and they tried making me pay around £80 for a new one.

I no longer have a Sky subscription.
Sky have made one change. Once installed the box was yours and they tried to get you to pay a large call out if you needed an engineer or even a new box. That's all changed with Sky Q. The box is theirs which is fine really because engineer call outs are now free.

beddie

Post by beddie » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:22 am

Billy, interestingly we’re at the point in life where we’ve said enough is enough so unless its a quick call where they offer the same deal we’ll cancel. We’re not clued up on other types of recording systems so if anyone could advise us on alternatives it would be appreciated. Not sure if you can still use the sky + HD box and record itv and bbc. I know my wife will miss some sky one programmes she records. We only have a sky dish, does anyone know if would we need an ordinary aerial.
Any help is much appreciated.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:32 am

Never had Sky and for those who wonder why please read above .
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone Dark Cloud jetblackcat

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:36 am

beddie wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:22 am
Billy, interestingly we’re at the point in life where we’ve said enough is enough so unless its a quick call where they offer the same deal we’ll cancel. We’re not clued up on other types of recording systems so if anyone could advise us on alternatives it would be appreciated. Not sure if you can still use the sky + HD box and record itv and bbc. I know my wife will miss some sky one programmes she records. We only have a sky dish, does anyone know if would we need an ordinary aerial.
Ask to speak to cancellations and see what they offer. It's usually a good deal less. My contract was coming to an end recently and the increase in price was frightening. It came around the time Sky were increasing prices too. I spoke to cancellations and got another 18 months for less than the original price,

Mayoclaret
Been Liked: 219 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Mayoclaret » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:40 am

beddie wrote:
Hi Beddie, I still have a Sky HD box but havent had a sky contract for years. I can use it to receive Freesat over here in Ireland (pretty much all UK Freeview channels etc) and am certain that it will act in the same way as a Freeview receiver in the UK. It will not (post Sky contract) let you access any old recordings, nor let you pause record anything new. In the Uk you used to be able to get Sky to offer just a recording facility - think it was £10 per month but not sure if that is still available.

An option would be to purchase a new satellite "box" - again with Freesat channels which allows you to record (often by USB stick) - they aren't too expensive - Amazon/Ebay etc etc.

beddie

Post by beddie » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:43 am

Thank you CT and Mayo, both very helpful.

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:47 am

beddie wrote:
Just get a freesat box.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:16 pm

thelaughingclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:47 am
Just get a freesat box.
That’s good advice generally speaking but you wouldn’t get some of premium channels such as sky 1 he was on about recording from with a general freesat box, no way getting around it unless it’s some sort of chipped android unit with a hard drive installed or keep paying sky.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:19 pm

beddie wrote:
Beddie, basically what Mayoclaret said. The box becomes a receiver and nowt else once you are of contract.

Just do what I did and see how you get on. I phoned them to cancel and politely said I wasn't up for a discussion about it. Then, about a week before the end of my 31 days' notice, I had a look at my online account to make sure the cancellation was going through, and it was then that I noticed they were offering me our previous 18 months deal, but to get this I had to pay a £20.00 'admin fee'. I phoned and said I was up for the offer, but the £20.00 fee was a dealbreaker, and this was taken off with no quibbling on their part. All told, cancelling, and three weeks later, taking their offer took two phone calls and about five minutes of my time. I would have walked if there had been any dancing involved.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:46 pm

Anyhow, I think I pay around £44 for the entertainment package, Sky Sports HD and multiroom. We are on the old HD + system. The Q system wouldn't work for us. We don't want to be arguing over hard drive space. Also, we live in an old house with thick walls. The house across the lane is of similar build, and they've had no end of problems with the Q Mini boxes. Another thing, I like to own the stuff that's in our house. Everyone is different though and each to their own.

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:57 pm

We pay 48 a month for sky q hd and multiroom but that's with sports turned off at the minute 18 quid extra a month if i add it back in Aug..must admit we've had no end of problems with the mini q boxes they always drop out must be a sky software issue but obviously they deny it..

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:06 pm

Where are you ClaretDiver ? our sky subscriptions man? What's the best way to get a better deal for your fellow clarets.

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:05 pm

Haha!! Here I am….I get asked this all the time, I’m not on the tv/bb side of things now but I can do you a good deal on mobile lol

A good trick is to keep an eye on their new customer bundle offers….if you see one and call them specifically quoting the bundle you are looking at then you can get that as an existing customer, there may be some of those pesky admin fees but the maximum they can charge you is 20 quid so over 18 months that’s just over a quid a month. You don’t have to wait until your 18 months is up so make sure you look at Black Friday deals….last year there were some crackers…unfortunately people do tend to leave it until their bills goes up to take action…always use the app to check your bills 3 months in advance, you will then notice your bills going up at end of contract and offers coming off…then time it right keep an eye on the offer bundles over a couple of months and then when one takes your fancy, call on a Sunday as that’s usually the quietest time, pour a beer, sit back and play the merry dance at your leisure!!

colne-claret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:48 pm

I got nothing last time I tried for a deal with Sky. It was extortionate. First time in 8 years we cancelled. Changed to Virgin Media.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:49 pm

colne-claret wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:48 pm
I got nothing last time I tried for a deal with Sky. It was extortionate. First time in 8 years we cancelled. Changed to Virgin Media.
You will soon switch back once you have to deal with their customer services.

colne-claret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:52 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:49 pm
I'm hoping end of this contract I will get a better Sky Deal again.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:01 pm

Always better to say your reason to leave is that you have a much better deal, on offer, from... competition, eg Virgin. Make sure you check out the competition vest offer, so Sky will know you are telling the truth (or could be).

They will not want to lose out to a rival.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:09 pm

My contract ran out and I was on paying £105 a month unbelievably until I read this thread earlier today. I rang up instantly and told them I wanted to cancel, I said I only had 10 minutes as I was working , the lady on the phone asked if I’d like to quickly hear what she could do for me , I ended up upgrading from my old box to sky Q with the entertainment package, faster Internet the sports package and box sets was thrown in there too, I also took Netflix through sky too as it made my bundle cheaper, therefore paying less for Netflix now as well. This came to £65 a month.
These 2 users liked this post: Billy Balfour IanMcL

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:19 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:09 pm
My contract ran out and I was on paying £105 a month unbelievably until I read this thread earlier today. I rang up instantly and told them I wanted to cancel, I said I only had 10 minutes as I was working , the lady on the phone asked if I’d like to quickly hear what she could do for me , I ended up upgrading from my old box to sky Q with the entertainment package, faster Internet the sports package and box sets was thrown in there too, I also took Netflix through sky too as it made my bundle cheaper, therefore paying less for Netflix now as well. This came to £65 a month.
I take it the new deal is for 18 months. If so, leave yourself a reminder to call them again in 17 months or so when you can see your bill is going to go up agauin.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:27 pm

Certainly is Tony and I have done just that . I reckon I’ll get it cheaper next time too. Just play the violin in the background

beddie

Post by beddie » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:35 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:19 pm
I take it the new deal is for 18 months. If so, leave yourself a reminder to call them again in 17 months or so when you can see your bill is going to go up agauin.
Good advice to Hedontplayforyou that CT and in fact to us all. I do that anyway, having been stung before. I’ve actually had an email from them this afternoon saying they’ll ring me, so if I can sort something I’ll let everyone know. I currently have only the signature package ( think that’s the cheapest one) and then just the sports package, no HD, in fact nothing else, we’re on the old Sky plus HD box. We’re paying £40.00 a month. Reading other posts I’m not sure if that’s still expensive.

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 714 times
Has Liked: 1998 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:01 pm

Just ask if you get a blue light card discount. Gets you up to 70% off. I had the full package and top broadband (admittedly only 40mps) with sky for 18 months for £31 a month.

You don’t even need to prove you are a blc holder.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:34 pm

I got bored with the discount dance years ago. Every year for what must have been 5 years I went from 50% - 75% discount. Admittedly the 75% was for one year only and didn’t get close again, but 50% was all other years.

Eventually I just had enough of the cancel, wait for call, negotiate, etc etc, so now I do….other things. It’s a shame as Sky don’t have money they could have had that I was happy to pay. They haven’t evolved.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:12 am

beddie wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:35 pm
We’re paying £40.00 a month. Reading other posts I’m not sure if that’s still expensive.
If that doesn't include mulitroom, then, going off ours, you should be able to get your bill into the low £30s.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:28 am

Ditched Sky about a year ago and got an Android box. Never looked back.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 517 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:27 pm

As a result of reading this thread, I had a look at my Sky contract, which includes HD, Sports and multiroom, and found to my horror that I was paying £98 per month.

I' ve just spent an hour online with Sky. I've ditched multiroom, which I don't use, but upgraded to Sky Q. My monthly payment is now £58.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. You've saved me a good few quid!
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretDiver beddie

beddie

Post by beddie » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:28 pm

Sky say the best price is £45.00. I’m currently paying £40.00 for the basic signature package plus sports (nothing else) on an 18 month contract. My deal runs out on 25/09 so I’m going to wait and try again in a couple of weeks. Be interested what others think if their offer is a good deal. Their email last week said it was going up to £55.00 hence my call.

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:38 pm

Never had a long term satellite subscription, happy to watch Burnley games down the pub or last season pay for individual games.

They even appeared shifty on their website when signing up for individual games, so very glad not to give to much money to them.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:40 pm

beddie wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:28 pm
Sky say the best price is £45.00. I’m currently paying £40.00 for the basic signature package plus sports (nothing else) on an 18 month contract. My deal runs out on 25/09 so I’m going to wait and try again in a couple of weeks. Be interested what others think if their offer is a good deal. Their email last week said it was going up to £55.00 hence my call.
They are currently offering Sky TV & Sky Sports at £41. Did you speak to cancellations?

beddie

Post by beddie » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:50 pm

Hi CT, yes I did but he said £45.00 so I’ll ring them again and mention that. Thank you.

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:35 am

Just a thought, one thing that I found is not explained well enough by some advisors is the 'Ultimate TV Bundle' that includes Netflix. This enables you to transfer your existing Netflix account across to Sky (if you have one) therefore you no longer pay Netflix for your subscription so that payment gets included in your Sky subscription. You do not need a new Netflix account....in most cases this will actually save you more than you are currently paying for Netflix so as well as saving the money on your Netflix sub, it is generally cheaper again with Sky in the bundle....

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:42 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:49 pm
I discovered that the customer service through their forums is actually very good. Terrible over the phone though so I don't bother with that now.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:18 am

aggi wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:42 am
I discovered that the customer service through their forums is actually very good. Terrible over the phone though so I don't bother with that now.
I've only used them on the phone. It's shocking.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:59 pm

They lost me, after many years, when my set up broke down. They were charging for a 3D service that they took off. Absolute fortune. They upsold me to a Q but then said 3 weeks delay.

Cancelled.

Now with book club for my matches.