Pubs in Nottingham

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Pubs in Nottingham

Post by Rowls » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:10 pm

Obviously away fans aren't allowed entry to the pre-season friendly against Notts Forest on Saturday but the town itself is still worth a visit on a different day to sample some of the beers and take in the city.

The Castle Rock Brewery there churns out some very good beers and the beer scene is seemingly in the middle of a golden era. Long gone are the days of poxy mansfield "creamflow" and the gasssy home ales of yesteryear.

If you're in Nottingham (for any reason) in the near future here are some good pubs you might like to visit:

TOP PICK - Vat & Fiddle
Situated just over the road from the railway station this is the Castle Rock flagship brewery tap. It serves a wide range of castle rock beers and offers a simple food menu. It's friendly and accommodating to away fans and allows children. Obviously this won't be relevant unless we play them in a game where away fans are permitted but it's good to know in case we draw them in the cup.
There's usually 5 or 6 cask ales from the adjacent Castle Rock brewery. The matchday menu is basic (cobs and side plates) but they're always fresh and made from excellent quality ingredients. You cannot go wrong with this pub - unmissable.
PS: I'll be going here when away fans are next allowed back to a game in Nottingham and I might just drop in for an afternoon pint on Saturday.
https://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk/pub ... nd-fiddle/

A 20 Minute Walk Away - The William IV
This is a 20 minute walk away from the railway station and you need to look up where you're giong before you set off. It's worth it if you're happy to walk. It's my local when I'm in Nottm. You won't find a friendlier place anywhere else.
It's maybe gone a bit hipsterish in recent years but that's no bad thing. I never met a violent or aggressive hipster. The worst that can happen is they'll bore you about their vinyl collection.
Normally serves 5-6 real ales from various breweries and has a brilliant rooftop terrace.
This is a gem in the heart of one of the "most deprived" areas in the country but I can live happily being "deprived" when there are pubs this good on my doorstep.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... gland.html

The Canalhouse
This has a unique feature in that the canal has a loading dock which goes into the building. It's a neat little feature for a pub. Again, this is a Castle Rock pub so the beer is almost always of good quality and there's a wide range to choose from.
Being a converted canalside warehouse, it lacks the homliness of many of the other pubs but it's a good pub these days all the same.
https://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk/pub ... analhouse/

[u/]Ye Olde Trip to Jeruselum[/u]
One of the most famous pubs in the country. Half set into the cliff face upon which the old Nottingham Castle sat this is always worth seeing if you haven't already.
The beer quality is very much dependent on who is running the cellar and as this is a Greene King cash-cow of a pub that changes all the time. It depends how good the staff are at the time. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's poor. I've never known the beer be outright awful but it shouldn't be given the amount of traffic they have passing through.
The famous nature of the pub is what both keeps it going and is its undoing: It's a bit of a tourist trap unfortunately and as such, it lacks true locals and character. This lends it an unwarranted Disneyland feeling which is a bit tragic given that it's a real piece of living history. Worth a visit if you've not been before but get there early to avoid the daytrippers is my advice.
https://www.greeneking-pubs.co.uk/pubs/ ... jerusalem/

The Navigation
I've been away from town for 5 years so I can't vouch for this pub. It was good before though and it *looks* like it's still being kept in good shape so I'm including it here. It's in a good location, it's open and it's still appears to be selling a good range of real ales. If you find yourself walking past it's probably worth a swift one.
https://navigationnottingham.uk/

The Newshouse
Over the road from the old Nottingham Evening Post printing press is the Newshouse. It's good a very nice blue tiled frontage. Another of the Castle Rock pubs. It's only 5-10 minutes from the station and worth seeking out.
It has an old fashioned bar billiards table and the walls are adorned with old Evening Post front pages from days gone by.
The landlady (if it's the same one I recall) can be fussy and peculiar but the pub is sound and she's fun to wind up if in one of her funnier moods.
https://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk/pubs/newshouse/

The Waterfront
Great place to test if you've tied your shoes up properly by risking walking across the filthy and sticky floor. If you fancy an expensive pint with a tint of cleaning fluid this is your pub.

The Company Inn - Wehterspoons
A Wetherspoons pub just a short walk down from the Canalhouse and situated in the old British Waterways building. If you're on a budget and want a cheap pint it's a good place to head to.
https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pub-histo ... nottingham

Fellows Clayton & Morton
This used to be the best pub in town. It's been rank awful for over a decade now. Limited choice. Vinegary pints of real ale. Dirty floors, sticky tables and staff who are indifferent at best. Frequented these days by sad and lonely souls who pour their wallets into the pubs numerous fruit machines. It's over-priced and it's a wonder anybody goes in here when there are such good pubs in the immediate vicinity.
Avoid.

BeerHeadZ
A micro pub in the old taxi cabin attached to the railway station. I've never been in but it looks OK. Don't know whether it's open after covid and don't know if it'll be open on a matchday (if we play them in the cup).
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... gland.html

Hops Coffee House & Bar
If you want a fancy a good quality coffee, a craft beer or a fancy lager this is an interesting place to go. Not real ale but it's fun and friendly. The bar is set into an antiques shop full of paraphernalia junk and nicknacks which is great to browse around.
They do table service and it's a cafe culture kind of place. Recommended.
https://hopsofnotts.co.uk/

Cured
Another funky new place catering for the ever growing hipster brigade. I think they serve real ale but it's only there as an after thought and it's more of a craft beer / lager kind of place.
It is friendly and has a nice decor though and a little canalside terrace out of the basement too.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... gland.html

The Barley Twist
Another Castle Rock pub only 2 minutes from the railway station. It's still a new one on me but it's in a great location and I've never known anything but excellent beer in a Castle Rock pub.
https://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk/pubs/barley-twist/

Hooters
It's a Hooters. They serve keg beer and chicken wings. All the female staff wear the same uniform. It would appear you pay a premium for this privilege. Sean Dyche visited this place last pre-season and Sean Dyche is a man of imbeccable taste.
Chicken wings and keg beer - almost impossible to get these things wrong. You'd hope.
https://www.hootersnottingham.co.uk/

Trent Navigation Inn
A hidden away little gem. This is Notts County pub (not a Notts Forest place) on Meadow Lane so they'll normally be happy to wish us best of luck (if we play Forest in the cup or next season, of course)
It's got a great tiled frontage and serves good beer from the Navigation Brewery which is based behind the pub. The beer isn't quite as popular as Castle Rock but it's good and this is their brewery tap so it should be good.
I only go in if I'm on my way to Notts Forest so naturally haven't had much cause to pop in there in recent years but I would do, if we were to play Forest in the near future.
http://www.navigationbrewery.com/about/

The Embankment
This used to be a member club and I was going to advise giving it a wide berth owing to it being a home fans kind of place. It looks like it's joined the Castle Rock empire of pubs so maybe it's OK now?
I don't know but it's very much in the "home fans zone" if you know what I mean and I'd be on my best behaviour if I did venture in on a matchday.
https://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk/pub ... mbankment/

Brewhouse & Kitchen
I really don't like this place. But looking at their website it looks like they're really trying hard to do something nice.
It just looks naff to me. They've painted the outside of the pub in a drab grey. I don't know who this pub is supposed to appeal to?
Looks like they serve cans of craft beer so at least you won't have to suffer dirty lines. I couldn't recommend it despite whatever effort they're putting into it.
https://www.brewhouseandkitchen.com/venue/nottingham/

Waterside Bar & Kitchen
What is it about places that have to put the word 'kitchen' into their names, eh? Surely it's safe to assume that a pub that serves food has a kitchen?
Anyway, it's best not to let it get to me too much. Not good for my blood pressure.
This place is highly recommended if you want to test your strength against the dumbest knuckle draggers that Nottingham has to offer. Does a roaring trade on matchdays and must be keeping at least two double glazing firms in business by the constant need it has to replace it glass frontage. Stone Island tops are not mandatory but are highly recommended.
Serves premium lagers.

Trent Bridge Inn - Wetherspoons
This famous old pub nearly went under not long ago. It sad that's it's now a Wetherspoons but - say what you like about them - they do keep our pubs alive and provide half decent fare to people who need to live on a budget.
As Wetherspoons go, this is a good one and we should be grateful it's still a pub and not student accommodation. I actually recommend it.
https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... nottingham

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Re: Pubs in Nottingham

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:16 pm

There's some belters in Nottingham for real ale buffs, I certainly agree and I haven't been since Vokes scored a penalty in our first promotion season for some reason. The Trip to Jerusalem is just that however, as it's a bit of a walk from the centre. My favourite was always the one which used to be small (Victorian?) theatre (opposite a Spoons??) which was a cracker. Hooters I always gave a miss to (my wife sometimes reads this board!!! ;) )

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:30 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:16 pm
There's some belters in Nottingham for real ale buffs, I certainly agree and I haven't been since Vokes scored a penalty in our first promotion season for some reason. The Trip to Jerusalem is just that however, as it's a bit of a walk from the centre. My favourite was always the one which used to be small (Victorian?) theatre (opposite a Spoons??) which was a cracker. Hooters I always gave a miss to (my wife sometimes reads this board!!! ;) )
The Malt Cross - Yes! A very good pub.

There was much hilarity in Nottingham when a BBC article announced they had "discovered" the remains of an "abandoned" Indian restaurant in the cave cellars beneath the pub. I had -genuinely- eaten in the Indian in question only a few months before the BBC article appeared.

I think this is the article and that the BBC edited away the "discovery" of the not-missing Indian Restaurant but I'm not sure if the expansion into the caves ever took place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-25611966

I've only been back in town a few weeks and haven't been to the Malt Cross since my return.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:54 pm

What’s all this “Notts” Forrest milarky all about then Rowls everyone knows it’s Nottingham :D
This user liked this post: Rowls

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:58 pm

You can Google Notts Forest and it brings up the relevant football club.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:04 pm

Don't you do over the river Rowls? My pub of choice is always the Stratford Haven in West Bridgford -great selection of ales, easy walk to the ground.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:08 pm

Peter Loo wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:54 pm
What’s all this “Notts” Forrest milarky all about then Rowls everyone knows it’s Nottingham :D
Ok then is it Nottingham County (founder member of the fottball league - sadly not in the league now)? - NO - definitely not.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:09 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:04 pm
Don't you do over the river Rowls? My pub of choice is always the Stratford Haven in West Bridgford -great selection of ales, easy walk to the ground.
It's the other side of town so I don't have any business going there. It's a long walk from Sneinton and I'd need a good reason to walk miles past a city packed full of good pubs to find one in West Bridgford.

But West Bridgford is very nice and I've heard very good things about the Stratford-Haven.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:10 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:08 pm
Ok then is it Nottingham County (founder member of the fottball league - sadly not in the league now)? - NO - definitely not.
Bah, that's just silly. Everybody knows it's Notts County.
These 2 users liked this post: Peter Loo Stayingup

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:12 pm

Exhibit A

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:13 pm

Exhibit B

Peter Loo

Post by Peter Loo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:15 pm

Rowls wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:10 pm
I second that ;)

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:15 pm

Exhibit C

Produced by Players Cigarettes no less. Player Cigarettes of Nottingham.

Nottingham: home to the famous Notts Forest.

Peter Loo

Post by Peter Loo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:18 pm

All pics unreliable evidence m lord ..

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:19 pm

Rowls wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:09 pm
It's the other side of town so I don't have any business going there. It's a long walk from Sneinton and I'd need a good reason to walk miles past a city packed full of good pubs to find one in West Bridgford.

But West Bridgford is very nice and I've heard very good things about the Stratford-Haven.
From a completely different viewpoint, it's ideal if you're driving in for a game.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:27 pm

Many a year since I was last in the Old Trip To Jerusalem, the 3-0 defeat in 1973 I think. We went in the Trent Bridge next to the cricket ground four years ago before the friendly.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:30 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:19 pm
From a completely different viewpoint, it's ideal if you're driving in for a game.
I'd throw in the Poppy & Pint if you're driving to the pub. It's in West Bridgford too but not the town centre.

If you're coming in from the west, then Beeston is a good place to stop. The Victoria and the Crown are excellent pubs - top notch. The Star Inn is passable. Sadly Beeston isn't handy for the football though.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

Peter Loo

Post by Peter Loo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:42 pm

Castle Rock a fine Brewery.

Re the Trip unfortunately since the Hardy Hanson Brewery was taken over the Trip didn’t seem the same to me.

Has Hardies been obliterated or does it survive in a lesser way does anyone know.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 998 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:49 pm

Aren't there any nice pubs in The Meadows area? Walking between the rail station and Trent bridge (Arkwright Walk?), there used to be a lovely pub off to the right in a small shopping precinct; always got accosted by some (Man City supporting) bloke in there offering me one of "his girls".

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:50 pm

Rowls wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:10 pm
And funnily enough the guys I have done some business with in Notts(!) have usually been County fans. Poor lads

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:58 pm

LeadBelly wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:49 pm
Aren't there any nice pubs in The Meadows area? Walking between the rail station and Trent bridge (Arkwright Walk?), there used to be a lovely pub off to the right in a small shopping precinct; always got accosted by some (Man City supporting) bloke in there offering me one of "his girls".
Never found a good pub in the Meadows or in Clifton. Gave up trying years ago.

They're not very desirous places to go to, especially without a good reason.

Peter Loo

Post by Peter Loo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:14 pm

To answer my own question above no there is no Hardy’s brewing anymore very sad.

Another reason to boycott Green King products.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:19 pm

Peter Loo wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:14 pm
To answer my own question above no there is no Hardy’s brewing anymore very sad.

Another reason to boycott Green King products.
:roll:

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:44 pm

Another vote for the Stratford Haven, usually go there when at Forest.
Cracking boozer.