Have we sold out to owners to take us sideways ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Re: Have we sold out to owners to take us sideways ?

Post by ecc » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:39 pm

"Rovers knew that in the 90's hence why they put a lot of time grabbing as many fans as they could."

Soon buggered off though, didn't they?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:43 pm

ecc wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:39 pm
"Rovers knew that in the 90's hence why they put a lot of time grabbing as many fans as they could."

Soon buggered off though, didn't they?
That's football for most clubs

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:08 pm

Thanks for correcting me random & Paul.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:51 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:19 pm
Yes the top 6 have the main appeal but then so do other clubs because of clever and well managed marketing.

Leeds - spent a generation outside of the PL, still managed to maintain a claim that they're a massive club, despite limited success throughout their history.
They pushed the narrative that they're massive, even when they had to close part of Elland road for safety reasons and weren't selling out their ground.
They've only won a couple more trophies than Burnley yet some of you wander around on here weeping and wailing that we are a much smaller club blah blah blah.

You're stuck in this small minding thinking process that this is it for Burnley, that there's no point trying to improve the revenue streams, the social media interaction and the fanbase.
Lancashire based fans are up for grabs, especially the younger ones the longer we are in the PL, because we are the highest placed Lancashire club.
Rovers knew that in the 90's hence why they put a lot of time grabbing as many fans as they could.
Leeds aren't a big club because they "pushed the narrative that they're massive" though are they? They're a big club because Leeds is a really big city with an absolutely huge catchment area.

Is it small minded to think that the American owners can't make us into a really big city and take away the local competition?
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:05 pm

I suppose it is time to drag this out again

The average global audience for a live Premier League game is actually rather small - and is probably significantly overpaid for in terms of TV revenues for the audience size

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/statu ... 6259694592

People get confused because it is in the interests of Rights Owners and Rights Holders to talk about reach which is a about potential audience rather than actual numbers, which is the hard facts that commercial sponsors and tv advertisers want to know.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:21 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:06 am
I know how to grow a business, I've done it several times.
Come back to me when you're able to do the same.
Well I wasn't expecting a rude response from a genuine question, anyway the answer is onfield success.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:22 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:51 pm
Leeds aren't a big club because they "pushed the narrative that they're massive" though are they? They're a big club because Leeds is a really big city with an absolutely huge catchment area.

Is it small minded to think that the American owners can't make us into a really big city and take away the local competition?
True, you’ve effectively got the whole of West Yorkshire bantams besides & large parts of North Yorkshire extending up to ripon & thirsk where you start straying into Middlesbrough territory.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:23 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:21 pm
Well I wasn't expecting a rude response from a genuine question, anyway the answer is onfield success.
you two were getting so much better of late - please try again
These 2 users liked this post: KRBFC GodIsADeeJay81

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:26 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:

I dunno why Sidney thinks Leeds aren't a big club or have had limited success. They were regularly in the top 4 of the PL and reached the semi final of the Champions League. You don't win a trophy for either but it's definite success and helps build a global fanbase.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:47 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:

Yet even when they spent 15? Yrs outside the PL the narrative was pushed and maintained that they're a massive club, sleeping giant etc etc.
Such a big city that they weren't selling out the ground.

Their trophy haul isn't that big for an allegedly massive club

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:49 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:26 pm
I dunno why Sidney thinks Leeds aren't a big club or have had limited success. They were regularly in the top 4 of the PL and reached the semi final of the Champions League. You don't win a trophy for either but it's definite success and helps build a global fanbase.
They've had limited success because their trophy haul reflects that.
They spent virtually a generation outside of the top flight.

The narrative has been pushed and maintained by many, Inc people on here, that they're a big club yet the same people will belittle Burnley and be small minded in their thinking about what the club can achieve

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:52 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:21 pm
It's a combination of both
The club stood still in many areas because the people in certain jobs either couldn't do it or weren't interested in doing it.

Didn't the new owners get rid of one senior person early on who was in charge of a lot of this stuff but had been here years?
He'd stagnated quite simply and allowed the club to stand still in his area of control.

On field success is great, but if a business doesn't improve the other stuff alongside it then it's wasting opportunities to grow the brand and revenue streams.

Apologies for the short answer earlier, I was doing something else at the time.
This user liked this post: KRBFC

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:03 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:49 pm
They've had limited success because their trophy haul reflects that.
They spent virtually a generation outside of the top flight.

The narrative has been pushed and maintained by many, Inc people on here, that they're a big club yet the same people will belittle Burnley and be small minded in their thinking about what the club can achieve
I don't think we're a small club, historically we definitely aren't. However success is competing for trophies these days, people love to glory hunt and support teams because they might win a trophy. Like I said earlier, Leeds being in the top 4 of the PL and semi finals of UCL, while it doesn't come with a trophy it sure as hell comes with a ton of new glory seeking fans. The Americans are crazy for it, they all switch up their NBA/NFL teams every year depending on who Lebron plays for/who the new popular player plays for.