Have we sold out to owners to take us sideways ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: Have we sold out to owners to take us sideways ?

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:31 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:26 pm
It's very pie in the sky, like this whole esports thing, Burnley had an esports tournament streamed live on the official Youtube channel, there was 53 viewers.
Small steps, everything has to start somewhere.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:31 pm

A couple of points

We already have plenty of big 6 club supporters who have STs on the Turf.

We should be aiming at NZ for new fans with having their best player play for us. Especially while the Olympics is on.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:36 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:09 pm
Gradually we will grow from remaining in the Premier League, Everton have never been outside of the PL. What is their income compared to ours?
Everton -
https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/ ... 49825?s=19

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/ ... 74080?s=19

Burnley -
https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/ ... 71297?s=19
Last edited by GodIsADeeJay81 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:37 pm

Doesnt all of this stuff rather depend on us staying in the Premier League ? And I think we all know what needs to he done to ensure that....

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:40 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:37 pm
Doesnt all of this stuff rather depend on us staying in the Premier League ? And I think we all know what needs to he done to ensure that....
Yes to a degree, but work can still be done to expand that global brand, social media followers, advertising revenue etc.
The club just sat still for years on a lot of this stuff.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:40 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:31 pm

We already have plenty of big 6 club supporters who have STs on the Turf.

What is the purpose of peddling this nonsense?
These 2 users liked this post: fatboy47 tim_noone

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:45 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:40 pm
Yes to a degree, but work can still be done to expand that global brand, social media followers, advertising revenue etc.
The club just sat still for years on a lot of this stuff.
I couldnt agree more, but I would hate to think it's being done instead of, or to the detriment of, strengthening the First Team.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:05 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:45 pm
I couldnt agree more, but I would hate to think it's being done instead of, or to the detriment of, strengthening the First Team.
It's being done alongside.

We've got Collins, we've got what appears to be a decent No2 goalie.

We very nearly signed young, we are trying to get Albrighton and Cornet.
There are probably other things going on we haven't heard about, but the club are clearly trying to get players in.

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:13 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:05 pm

There are probably other things going on we haven't heard about, but the club are clearly trying to get players in.
AKA we’ve got a back up defender and a back up keeper.

And allegedly approached a few others who haven’t joined.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:36 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:05 pm

Do you know the best way to grow a club?

I'll give you a hint, it isn't hosting and streaming an esports Fifa tournament for 53 people to watch.
Last edited by KRBFC on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:36 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:53 pm
We have, we’ve probably beaten every team within all the domestic leagues at some point if you look into the history books, a Chinese fan isn’t going to think to himself - I think I like burnley because they once beat Man City 5 years ago or Chelsea 2 years ago so they must a good side, they probably have heard of us but wouldn’t be able to name our team, I’ve heard of maccabi tel aviv, I couldn’t name a single player who plays for them if my life depended on it.
Is that perhaps because there isn’t blanket coverage of the Israeli Premier League in the UK?

The big difference is, as stated above, the Premier League is shown, pretty much every single game, across the globe. The TV coverage abroad is actually better than that in the UK.

Also for anyone to suggest that any genuine City or United fan don’t know which division Burnley are in is utter nonsense.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:05 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:36 pm
Is that perhaps because there isn’t blanket coverage of the Israeli Premier League in the UK?

The big difference is, as stated above, the Premier League is shown, pretty much every single game, across the globe. The TV coverage abroad is actually better than that in the UK.

Also for anyone to suggest that any genuine City or United fan don’t know which division Burnley are in is utter nonsense.
Aside of the Israeli league don’t they feature in Europe or have participated recently on plenty of occasions, I haven’t suggested city or United fans not being aware of our league status, but I’ll maintain nobody (almost) outside of the uk especially Lancashire are really interested in us & never will be, we just aren’t a big fashionable side & even clubs which aren’t anywhere near that will probably be in front of queue in terms of attracting any worldwide appeal before we do.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:20 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:05 am
Aside of the Israeli league don’t they feature in Europe or have participated recently on plenty of occasions, I haven’t suggested city or United fans not being aware of our league status, but I’ll maintain nobody (almost) outside of the uk especially Lancashire are really interested in us & never will be, we just aren’t a big fashionable side & even clubs which aren’t anywhere near that will probably be in front of queue in terms of attracting any worldwide appeal before we do.
we need a few thousand evangelists like the one n Anglesey

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:06 am

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:36 pm
Do you know the best way to grow a club?

I'll give you a hint, it isn't hosting and streaming an esports Fifa tournament for 53 people to watch.
I know how to grow a business, I've done it several times.
Come back to me when you're able to do the same.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:07 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:05 am
Moving those goalposts again.

No one knows us - they do
No one knows our players - they will
No one's interested in us.- they are.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:10 am

It’s a local club for local people ;)

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4159 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:17 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:06 am
I know how to grow a business, I've done it several times.
Come back to me when you're able to do the same.

Don't be tight, he is still learning to make his weekly pocket money last 7 days.

Love the myth that someone on here has people come up to him and ask him who he supports and when he says Burnley they ask what division they are in. Then claims this is Man Utd or Man City fans :D :D

Anyone else have random people come up to them and ask this and they have no idea what division we are in despite playing us twice every 12 months in the league :D

The stupid levels get raised daily on here and it is priceless.
This user liked this post: Goodclaret

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:20 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:40 pm
What is the purpose of peddling this nonsense?
In response to posters who don't think fans will switch to Burnley.

With the free kids tickets, plenty of local other clubs fans take their kids on the Turf as ST holders.
It's great value to watch Premier league football with your little ones.
This user liked this post: ŽižkovClaret

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:43 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:17 am
Don't be tight, he is still learning to make his weekly pocket money last 7 days.

Love the myth that someone on here has people come up to him and ask him who he supports and when he says Burnley they ask what division they are in. Then claims this is Man Utd or Man City fans :D :D

Anyone else have random people come up to them and ask this and they have no idea what division we are in despite playing us twice every 12 months in the league :D

The stupid levels get raised daily on here and it is priceless.
It will be incredibly interesting to see what the smartest person on this board has to say if ALK fail.

Claret since you seem to berate everyone why don’t you detail how the owners of our club are going to make a success of this? I mean clearly there apparent failures at previous clubs means nothing to you

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:47 am

Whilst there are some wild ideas of grandeur on here, I have two genuine examples of work associates of mine who over the past 6 months have enquired with me about how to go about getting a season ticket at Burnley to take their kids on. One is an Arsenal fan who lives in Harrogate and the other lives in Burnsall (N Yorks) and doesn’t support a team. I also have a mate who lives in Leeds and was a Rovers STH as a child and has bought a season ticket for him and his lad. His lad is now Burnley obsessed despite his dad not really caring about football (I take some credit for that).

There is definitely an opportunity to attract the next generation of fans. And as it stands we are one of the most attractive options within a very large catchment area due to the level of football pricing.
These 2 users liked this post: frankinwales Goodclaret

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:53 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:43 am
It will be incredibly interesting to see what the smartest person on this board has to say if ALK fail.

Claret since you seem to berate everyone why don’t you detail how the owners of our club are going to make a success of this? I mean clearly there apparent failures at previous clubs means nothing to you
Calling out a liar isn't berating everyone, it is just that calling out a liar.

When you are trying to be a clever **** probably wise not to mix up your their and there.

What failures are you going on about ? Please note as well you have put an S on the end of failure so please list all these.

Also you could argue that someone who goes to no games, contributes nothing at all to the club, watches illegal streams and does nothing but moan then their crying and demanding means nothing and is irrelevant.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:54 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:47 am
Whilst there are some wild ideas of grandeur on here, I have two genuine examples of work associates of mine who over the past 6 months have enquired with me about how to go about getting a season ticket at Burnley to take their kids on. One is an Arsenal fan who lives in Harrogate and the other lives in Burnsall (N Yorks) and doesn’t support a team. I also have a mate who lives in Leeds and was a Rovers STH as a child and has bought a season ticket for him and his lad. His lad is now Burnley obsessed despite his dad not really caring about football (I take some credit for that).

There is definitely an opportunity to attract the next generation of fans. And as it stands we are one of the most attractive options within a very large catchment area due to the level of football pricing.

They knew what division we are in ? Looks like the club is making progress :D

Also taking one from that lot and converting him should allow you a free beer per game
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:55 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:43 am

Sigh
Several of us have gone over this and given examples of how the club can grow, most of it is pretty basic stuff and the club are already making steps in the right direction.

Here's an idea, how about you provide details of what constitutes failure for the current owners and then we can discuss that instead of us constantly going over the same ground for the likes of you to dismiss or mock anything we put forward.

I look forward to your detailed response for us to discuss.
These 2 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm Goodclaret

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:55 am

Rileybobs wrote:

Definitely. You only need to look at the fan base from Accrington to see fans follow success. At the time when they folded most fans started to watch Blackburn instead because they were higher placed at the time. Meanwhile at school kids get bragging rights supporting the better team. Most fan's can change clubs and can generally be pretty fickle anyway, there will be people interested in the takeover and keen to see it unfold. With some good results in the pitch I can see an even greater feeling in the town.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:56 am

Rileybobs wrote:

Rovers managed it when they were successful, it's almost like people forget about that.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:04 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:55 am
Sigh
Several of us have gone over this and given examples of how the club can grow, most of it is pretty basic stuff and the club are already making steps in the right direction.

Here's an idea, how about you provide details of what constitutes failure for the current owners and then we can discuss that instead of us constantly going over the same ground for the likes of you to dismiss or mock anything we put forward.

I look forward to your detailed response for us to discuss.
He’d be better spending his time finding a new hobby. Supporting a football club really shouldn’t make anyone feel as miserable as he comes across on this board.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 tiger76

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:12 am

We need to convert more from Clitheroe, it’s still predominantly Bastards, unfortunately.

My nine year old lad got berated about five times the other week for wearing his Burnley shirt, booed and shouted at by grown men driving past in cars - even though we live in Clitheroe.

Sad *******.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:14 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:56 am
Rovers managed it when they were successful, it's almost like people forget about that.
This now sounds like 'more people come and watch when you're in the Prem'. I think that's something we can all agree on. Not really anything to do with a global brand or untapped revenue streams, it's just what happens when you're in the top flight, always has done.

Then one day you're not in the top flight, and it's back to people from Burnley buying season tickets to fund the club. So everything we're talking about here is predicated on us staying up. Take that away and this talk instantly becomes as ludicrous as a Global Advisor in the Championship.

The corporate stuff, the social media followers in Indonesia, the LED adverts.. that's all fine, it'll add a few pennies to the pot. But the TV payments are the overwhelming reason we've improved the club at all and as nice as those other things are, if we don't invest in the team strongly enough then we lose about 80% of our income eventually and having 50,000 Instagram likes probably won't save us. That's why a lack of transfer activity isn't really balanced out by TikTok signing a deal with the women's team or some newly configured boxes in the Longside.
These 2 users liked this post: Enola Gay frankinwales

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:16 am

BurnleyFC wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:12 am
We need to convert more from Clitheroe, it’s still predominantly Bastards, unfortunately.

My nine year old lad got berated about five times the other week for wearing his Burnley shirt, booed and shouted at by grown men driving past in cars - even though we live in Clitheroe.

Sad *******.
I am surprised they publicly admit to supporting bastards these days, I hope you lad accepted that their jealousy and bitterness was all down to the fact his team is where they dream to be and laughed back at them.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:17 am

NottsClaret wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:14 am
This now sounds like 'more people come and watch when you're in the Prem'. I think that's something we can all agree on. Not really anything to do with a global brand or untapped revenue streams, it's just what happens when you're in the top flight, always has done.

Then one day you're not in the top flight, and it's back to people from Burnley buying season tickets to fund the club. So everything we're talking about here is predicated on us staying up. Take that away and this talk instantly becomes as ludicrous as a Global Advisor in the Championship.

The corporate stuff, the social media followers in Indonesia, the LED adverts.. that's all fine, it'll add a few pennies to the pot. But the TV payments are the overwhelming reason we've improved the club at all and as nice as those other things are, if we don't invest in the team strongly enough then we lose about 80% of our income eventually and having 50,000 Instagram likes probably won't save us. That's why a lack of transfer activity isn't really balanced out by TikTok signing a deal with the women's team or some newly configured boxes in the Longside.

When bastards starting splashing the cash they used to run transport from Lancaster & Preston to their home games. Surprising how quiet the road through Hoghton is on a match day these days.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:18 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:16 am
I am surprised they publicly admit to supporting bastards these days, I hope you lad accepted that their jealousy and bitterness was all down to the fact his team is where they dream to be and laughed back at them.
He’s never known Blackburn to be superior to us so doesn’t understand why it’s a big deal, which I’m highly envious of to be honest!

I hope it stays that way for as long as possible.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:19 am

NottsClaret wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:14 am

The TV money has helped move the club forwards, that's undeniable.
Being in the PL has helped encourage both old fans to return and new ones to come along.

However the club failed to sufficiently grow the business and it's other revenue streams.
Investing in the team can stagnate if the wage bill accounts for the majority of the club's income and the club haven't grown the income to allow for further growth.

That's where we were prior to the takeover.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:31 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:20 am
In response to posters who don't think fans will switch to Burnley.

With the free kids tickets, plenty of local other clubs fans take their kids on the Turf as ST holders.
It's great value to watch Premier league football with your little ones.
That's not what you said originally.

You said there are plenty of supporters of top 6 clubs who have ST's at t'Turf. And that is nonsense.

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:36 am

superdimitri wrote:
Definitely. You only need to look at the fan base from Accrington to see fans follow success. At the time when they folded most fans started to watch Blackburn instead because they were higher placed at the time. Meanwhile at school kids get bragging rights supporting the better team. Most fan's can change clubs and can generally be pretty fickle anyway, there will be people interested in the takeover and keen to see it unfold. With some good results in the pitch I can see an even greater feeling in the town.
In 1962, when Stanley resigned from the Football League, Burnley finished 2nd in the 1st Division and Blackburn finished 16th.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2691 times

Post by fatboy47 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:41 am

Our prospects for the near and mid term future depend almost entirely on staying in the Prem. It's simply fatuous to think that Chris Woods granny in NZ buying a couple of shirts for her grandkids can alleviate the loss of TV lucre.

To lose our Prem status will place this club in very very deep sh1te. Just another debt ridden operation run by foreign venture capitalists using other people's money...and one with less organic resources than 75% of its Competitors. Relegation is far more likely to be followed by a second relegation than a quick return now that we're in hock.

Still a month to strengthen though. As we stand, even if Dyche stays, we look to be very vulnerable.

Hopefully Mr Waine's "exciting times" are just around the corner.
These 2 users liked this post: Enola Gay Paul Waine

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:56 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:31 am
That's not what you said originally.

You said there are plenty of supporters of top 6 clubs who have ST's at t'Turf. And that is nonsense.
I don't get what you are disputing?

Plenty like this guy. https://twitter.com/ShaunPo82086831?s=20

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:32 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:07 am
Moving those goalposts again.

No one knows us - they do
No one knows our players - they will
No one's interested in us.- they are.
They do within the UK especially Lancashire, mention vydra/ tarkwoski to a young lad in Helsinki/Istanbul ect, he will think it’s some sort of a Romanian soup, you ensure the established success first that’s your building blocks for notoriety, setting out to conquer the world & to try to tap into global worldwide appeal before that just won’t work, it’s hilariously madcap that a team like ours can compete with the heavyweights globally on any sort of commerce front :lol:

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:44 am

superdimitri wrote:
randomclaret2 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:36 am

In 1962, when Stanley resigned from the Football League, Burnley finished 2nd in the 1st Division and Blackburn finished 16th.
Hi superdimitri, in addition to random's 1961/62 season details, Rovers were relegated from 1st Division in 1966 and didn't return there until Jack Walker was writing their cheques. I grew up in Accrington and went to secondary school in Blackburn. I saw Burnley play Stanley in a fund raiser a little before Stanley folded. I've always been a Burnley fan.

UTC

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:45 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:32 am
They do within the UK especially Lancashire, mention vydra/ tarkwoski to a young lad in Helsinki/Istanbul ect, he will think it’s some sort of a Romanian soup, you ensure the established success first that’s your building blocks for notoriety, setting out to conquer the world & to try to tap into global worldwide appeal before that just won’t work, it’s hilariously madcap that a team like ours can compete with the heavyweights globally on any sort of commerce front :lol:
We aren't trying to compete with the heavy weights, yet again this is you moving the goalposts.
You're not very good at this are you?

This is about growing the brand and fanbase via varying methods.
Yes the majority will follow the biggest clubs, that's natural, but there are those who don't

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:53 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:45 am
We aren't trying to compete with the heavy weights, yet again this is you moving the goalposts.
You're not very good at this are you?

This is about growing the brand and fanbase via varying methods.
Yes the majority will follow the biggest clubs, that's natural, but there are those who don't
Is that a sizeable market bearing in mind a young lad from turkey or Norway will probably support fenerbahce or rosenborg BK before even thinking of burnley FC?

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:03 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:32 am
Hi Jakub, to be fair to the young lad in Helsinki (Finland) and, I assume another young lad in Istanbul (Turkey) their first thought will be that Tarkowski is someone from Poland as that's where people with whose name ends in "ski" originate - "ski" meaning "from." Neither young lad will be thinking of a Romanian soup.

UTC

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1392 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:10 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:15 pm

...You said you know Man United and Man City fans in the UK who don't know which division Burnley are in. That's the shite.

Now if you said, I know Man Utd and Man City fans from the UAE or China etc who don't know which division Burnley play in, then that would be believable.
I think in this case you're perhaps being a bit harsh toward our resident troll? Either that or you're overestimating the IQ of a sector of the Manchester City/United following; I've certainly spoken to some who don't leave me confident that they'd know what division their own club plays in. :P
These 2 users liked this post: fatboy47 ecc

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:54 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:53 am
Is that a sizeable market bearing in mind a young lad from turkey or Norway will probably support fenerbahce or rosenborg BK before even thinking of burnley FC?
Millions watch the Real Vs Barca games and will have a preference for one side despite it being likely they've got a team elsewhere they usually support.

Same with people who used to sit and watch the Italian football programme back in the 90's.

People start keeping track of results of certain teams and develop an interest in them.
Maybe you don't, but millions around the world do because if they didn't why does the PL sell its rights for so much?

People will follow the Roma twitter account because it's generally quite funny.
People also see their results etc because of that so will keep an eye out for what they're doing in the transfer market etc.

Same with Dortmund.

It's all really simple, but clever and effective, social media management.

You have to hook the people in with something.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:04 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:18 am
He’s never known Blackburn to be superior to us so doesn’t understand why it’s a big deal, which I’m highly envious of to be honest!

I hope it stays that way for as long as possible.

Doesn't know he is born :D there used to be about 90 clubs superior to us :D

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 323 times

Post by HahaYeah » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:21 pm

You do get a few more comments on BFC's youtube from overseas fans positive about Burnley FC nowadays,such as one on this yt comment that strangely enough appears to be from a young Turkish fan taking an interest. :geek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi4NNnHIkGs

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:31 pm

HahaYeah wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:21 pm
You do get a few more comments on BFC's youtube from overseas fans positive about Burnley FC nowadays,such as one on this yt comment that strangely enough appears to be from a young Turkish fan taking an interest. :geek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi4NNnHIkGs
The subtle racism is astounding.

Karhu_Claret
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by Karhu_Claret » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:42 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:03 am
Hi Jakub, to be fair to the young lad in Helsinki (Finland) and, I assume another young lad in Istanbul (Turkey) their first thought will be that Tarkowski is someone from Poland as that's where people with whose name ends in "ski" originate - "ski" meaning "from." Neither young lad will be thinking of a Romanian soup.

UTC
Never thought I'd find myself googling Romanian soups as a result of a thread on here - https://www.chefspencil.com/top-12-most ... ian-soups/ (reads a bit like a longtime lurker transfer list)

Considering the Romanians love of soups, perhaps we can grow our fanbase there by releasing our own Burnley-based range? Cream of Tarkowski perhaps? A nice bowl of OxTaylor or Lowton's Leak and Potato? I'll tweet Alan now - sure he'll be on board.
These 2 users liked this post: ecc Paul Waine

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:58 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:03 am

UTC
Fair point, can we change it to a Russian soup then with the ski, the point still stands they won’t have a jar of glue regarding our players, some Czech & polish fans might have heard of the 2 players mentioned apart from that you might as well be communicating in a foreign language.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:10 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:54 am
Millions watch the Real Vs Barca games and will have a preference for one side despite it being likely they've got a team elsewhere they usually support.

Same with people who used to sit and watch the Italian football programme back in the 90's.

People start keeping track of results of certain teams and develop an interest in them.
Maybe you don't, but millions around the world do because if they didn't why does the PL sell its rights for so much?

People will follow the Roma twitter account because it's generally quite funny.
People also see their results etc because of that so will keep an eye out for what they're doing in the transfer market etc.

Same with Dortmund.

It's all really simple, but clever and effective, social media management.

You have to hook the people in with something.
All that’s true.

But, those billions watching the Premier League, ain’t watching the Premier League. They’re already following a club.

People need to stop presuming it’s the Premier League that has this global appeal to billions but the clubs that represent it. Of all those billions watching the top 6 will have a massive percentage of that audience.

It’s like saying “Thousands watch the Championship in Lancashire. Why don’t we convince them to follow us instead”. Those won’t follow us because they follow Blackburn and Preston. Just like the millions that follow the Premier League in England, why is there never ever talk of the market over here to attract fans? Because they follow their teams the way people abroad follow there’s.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:19 pm

Dyched wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:10 pm
All that’s true.

But, those billions watching the Premier League, ain’t watching the Premier League. They’re already following a club.

People need to stop presuming it’s the Premier League that has this global appeal to billions but the clubs that represent it. Of all those billions watching the top 6 will have a massive percentage of that audience.

It’s like saying “Thousands watch the Championship in Lancashire. Why don’t we convince them to follow us instead”. Those won’t follow us because they follow Blackburn and Preston. Just like the millions that follow the Premier League in England, why is there never ever talk of the market over here to attract fans? Because they follow their teams the way people abroad follow there’s.
Yes the top 6 have the main appeal but then so do other clubs because of clever and well managed marketing.

Leeds - spent a generation outside of the PL, still managed to maintain a claim that they're a massive club, despite limited success throughout their history.
They pushed the narrative that they're massive, even when they had to close part of Elland road for safety reasons and weren't selling out their ground.
They've only won a couple more trophies than Burnley yet some of you wander around on here weeping and wailing that we are a much smaller club blah blah blah.

You're stuck in this small minding thinking process that this is it for Burnley, that there's no point trying to improve the revenue streams, the social media interaction and the fanbase.
Lancashire based fans are up for grabs, especially the younger ones the longer we are in the PL, because we are the highest placed Lancashire club.
Rovers knew that in the 90's hence why they put a lot of time grabbing as many fans as they could.