2 Weeks to KO

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

2 Weeks to KO

Post by Boss Hogg » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:28 pm

Just over 2 weeks to go to the season Kick Off. How confident are we all feeling ? At least we can put out a fairly decent 11 which we struggled to do in years gone by particularly under Cotterill. We also don’t have the injuries we had at the beginning of last season.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Re: 2 Weeks to KO

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:32 pm

I was hoping with a few decent additions we could push towards mid table respectability. At present it's looking like it's going to be another grim battle to scrape 40 points. If any of our key men get injured we'll be in big trouble.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:34 pm

Time yet for injuries Boss. (They often happen in training.)

I'm feeling quietly confident, and with five weeks left in the window, I'm also confident that we will have new blood in the squad, including that much needed right footed winger. Keeping our better players at the club will also help.

C'mon you PL Clarets

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:50 pm

I'll be a lot happier when Nick Pope returns to the fold.

Our first XI when everyone is fit can give most teams a game at this level, the problem is if we pick up injuries, last season displayed this perfectly.

At least we've addressed a couple of back up positions with the arrival of Collins and Hennessey, but the lack of a commanding midfielder, and also the disturbing lack of wingers. I fear JBG will break down again after a few games, worries me big time.

I think we've got enough nous and experience to steer us away from the bottom 3, but I don't expect us to finish much higher than last season.

Of course another 2-3 signings and the picture could look very different, but I'm pretty down beat about our prospects as it stands.

It's vital we put points on the board straight away, we definitely don't want to be in a similar position to last season when we were chasing our tail after the first 7 games, we got away with it then, but we might not be so lucky a 2nd time,

Brighton on paper is a winnable home game, and it would be great to get that monkey of our back as early as possible, before we face some difficult looking fixtures.

There's also the small matter of Sean Dyche being out of contract next summer, it's essential we resolve this situation ASAP.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:57 pm

Not fussed. It’s the same every year. Getting injuries etc etc. Vydra came in last year and was superb. A couple of signings and it’s C’MON YOU CLARETS. But tbh, after lockdowns etc etc. I’m not totally as bothered as I once was about our football club. Seems daft as I post on a fans message board I know.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:02 pm

Not really thought about how we’ll do, just looking forward to getting back to the Turf and the match day routine.

If we don’t make any signings we’ll get relegated this time but not stressing about it. Can’t wait for the 14th.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:07 pm

Looking forward to the season, but if we don’t make any new or exciting signings from here then my excitement with dwindle and turn into boredom, as another long season of rubbish football is to be expected.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:42 pm

There are enough teams to get the ten wins and six draws required to stop up reasonably comfortably.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 780 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by Jamesy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:48 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:07 pm
Looking forward to the season, but if we don’t make any new or exciting signings from here then my excitement with dwindle and turn into boredom, as another long season of rubbish football is to be expected.
You are spot on with that. Another long tedious season beckons and I for one will be giving both Man City games the swerve.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2489 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:53 pm

Need another three teams to be worse than us. Will there be another three this year quite as appalling as Sheff Utd, West Brom, and Fulham were? I'm not sure there will. I think it will be a lot harder to survive.

That said though, it really is just about being back on the Turf this season after 18 months of pure misery. If we drop, we drop. I'll still be there every week.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:03 pm

1 injury and we can't win a game, we were absolutely appalling without Pope last year. We started without Mee/Tarkowski and were dreadful. Wood had a poor run of form and we couldn't score. We are heavily heavily reliant upon Wood, Mee, Tarkowski and Pope. If 1 of those is missing we'll struggle, if 2 of those are injured we'll almost certainly lose.

Nothing has been done to strengthen the shitty team we saw last season, there's still time, 2 big signings will change absolutely everything.

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:09 pm

Ask me on the Friday before the day of KO I may have a better idea then.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:44 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:53 pm
Need another three teams to be worse than us. Will there be another three this year quite as appalling as Sheff Utd, West Brom, and Fulham were? I'm not sure there will. I think it will be a lot harder to survive.

That said though, it really is just about being back on the Turf this season after 18 months of pure misery. If we drop, we drop. I'll still be there every week.
I'd be Very Disappointed if We Dropped ..we have spent Very Little in the Transfer Market. Though I liking the Fact Hennessy on board.But While you say "you'll" be there next season...I feel after purchasing the Club for Nothing....and dont tell me they're doing it all for nothing!! The previous regime cashed up still on Board and also not taking "complimentary" food and Drink etc. They'll reach the other side of the pond before the ship sinks! I Hope im wrong but.....

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:42 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:03 pm
1 injury and we can't win a game, we were absolutely appalling without Pope last year. We started without Mee/Tarkowski and were dreadful. Wood had a poor run of form and we couldn't score. We are heavily heavily reliant upon Wood, Mee, Tarkowski and Pope. If 1 of those is missing we'll struggle, if 2 of those are injured we'll almost certainly lose.

Nothing has been done to strengthen the shitty team we saw last season, there's still time, 2 big signings will change absolutely everything.
Spot on. IMO particularly Pope. I hope he starts the season; it's not just about individual ability it's how we defend,

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:57 pm

I feel confident that our first half a dozen home games gives us a good opportunity to make a much better start than last season .
If we can do that I think what will be a much stronger squad should see us keep our head above water.
If we find 1 or 2 surprise packages we might do better than that

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:57 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:03 pm

That's true but all teams rely on their solid spine, even someone like City struggle if they've got mainstays missing, the difference is they can afford to pack their squad with multi million pound fringe players, so if they do suffer injuries they aren't as impacted as a club near the foot of the table such as us.

I do agree we need at least 2 that can either step straight into our 1st XI, or at the very least make an impact from the bench, otherwise we'll be crossing our fingers that we somehow escape any major injuries.

I'm not hitting the panic button quite yet as there's still a month before the window shuts, and we are showing interest in targets, however we need to ensure this interest turns into concrete signings over the next few weeks.

Funnily enough out of that quartet Wood is the one we'd struggle to replace like-for-like, if either of the central defenders are out we've now got Collins to step into the breach, yes he's raw but he's an upgrade on Dunne or Long, if Pope is absent we've got Hennessey who's an experienced deputy.

However Wood is our most natural finisher, and if you take his goals out of the equation we'd have almost certainly been relegated last season, he's that important to us, especially when the rest of our forwards are struggling to hit a barn door, which they all were for the majority of last season.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:34 pm

I think it's a bit misleading to hope that there are three teams worse than us.

As long as we reach 36 points there will automatically be three worse teams. If we don't get 36 points then we'll rightly deserve to go down.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:35 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:57 pm
That's true but all teams rely on their solid spine, even someone like City struggle if they've got mainstays missing, the difference is they can afford to pack their squad with multi million pound fringe players, so if they do suffer injuries they aren't as impacted as a club near the foot of the table such as us.

I do agree we need at least 2 that can either step straight into our 1st XI, or at the very least make an impact from the bench, otherwise we'll be crossing our fingers that we somehow escape any major injuries.

I'm not hitting the panic button quite yet as there's still a month before the window shuts, and we are showing interest in targets, however we need to ensure this interest turns into concrete signings over the next few weeks.

Funnily enough out of that quartet Wood is the one we'd struggle to replace like-for-like, if either of the central defenders are out we've now got Collins to step into the breach, yes he's raw but he's an upgrade on Dunne or Long, if Pope is absent we've got Hennessey who's an experienced deputy.

However Wood is our most natural finisher, and if you take his goals out of the equation we'd have almost certainly been relegated last season, he's that important to us, especially when the rest of our forwards are struggling to hit a barn door, which they all were for the majority of last season.
My point isn't anything to do with stacking multi million pound players to sit on the bench incase those 4 get injured, my point is if we can get a striker to partner Wood it eases the reliance upon Wood.

Instead of relying upon Mcneil and only Mcneil to create chances, lets get a wide right player to share the burden.

Like I said there's plenty of time left and I'd rather we wait for the right players than rush sign any old crap like Dale Stephens.

Give Dyche a proper right sided player and either:
a striker to partner Wood, a central midfielder to replace Cork or a right back with better delivery than Lowton.

and we'll comfortably survive and have a good season. 2 players is all it takes.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:37 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:35 pm
My point isn't anything to do with stacking multi million pound players to sit on the bench incase those 4 get injured, my point is if we can get a striker to partner Wood it eases the reliance upon Wood.

Instead of relying upon Mcneil and only Mcneil to create chances, lets get a wide right player to share the burden.

Like I said there's plenty of time left and I'd rather we wait for the right players than rush sign any old crap like Dale Stephens.

a striker to partner Wood, a central midfielder to replace Cork or a right back with better delivery than Lowton.

and we'll comfortably survive and have a good season. 2 players is all it takes.
Basically there's nothing wrong with the squad that £50million wouldn't comfortably fix ;)

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:41 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:37 pm
Basically there's nothing wrong with the squad that £50million wouldn't comfortably fix ;)
The squad has been left to age and rot for a number of years, it's due a refresh and with the amount of players out of contract next summer it's important we start that refresh now.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:01 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:50 pm
I'll be a lot happier when Nick Pope returns to the fold.

Our first XI when everyone is fit can give most teams a game at this level, the problem is if we pick up injuries, last season displayed this perfectly.

At least we've addressed a couple of back up positions with the arrival of Collins and Hennessey, but the lack of a commanding midfielder, and also the disturbing lack of wingers. I fear JBG will break down again after a few games, worries me big time.

I think we've got enough nous and experience to steer us away from the bottom 3, but I don't expect us to finish much higher than last season.

Of course another 2-3 signings and the picture could look very different, but I'm pretty down beat about our prospects as it stands.

It's vital we put points on the board straight away, we definitely don't want to be in a similar position to last season when we were chasing our tail after the first 7 games, we got away with it then, but we might not be so lucky a 2nd time,

Brighton on paper is a winnable home game, and it would be great to get that monkey of our back as early as possible, before we face some difficult looking fixtures.

There's also the small matter of Sean Dyche being out of contract next summer, it's essential we resolve this situation ASAP.
JBG is likely to breakdown after a few minutes never mind a few games..its very unfortunate

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:12 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:01 pm
JBG is likely to breakdown after a few minutes never mind a few games..its very unfortunate
That’s the spirit

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 367 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:13 pm

I've bought a season ticket for the first time in ten years. The last time I was able to attend all season we were in the championship. A sixth consecutive season in the Premier league, and another season under Dyche. A squad of seasoned pro's that will give their all for us to stay in the league, and the potential for one or two more decent signings as well as Collins. You can't take it for granted. I think we'll have enough to stay up again. I can't wait.
These 2 users liked this post: Oppycat k90bfc

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:48 am

We only have two wingers and we play 442. Not confident at all. I'm not sure we can rely on Gudmundsson to be first choice. His injury record could mean he'd be unreliable as 3rd or 4th choice.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:57 am

go with whatever Spijed says after the window closes, dunno how but I've come to learn he's usually right ! :lol:

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:43 am

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:35 pm

I doubt we'll get 4 in this window, but the priority for me simply has to be a right winger, ideally one with pace to offer us a different dimension.

And yes I think we're in broad agreement that we can't expect Wood to keep carrying us in the goals department.

Cork & Lowton do need upgrading, however that may have to wait 12 months, we can't overhaul half of our 1st XI in a single window, and this situation has arisen due to our lack of forward planning in the last 3-4 windows, and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

I think we'll survive with what we currently have, but it'll be a damn sight easier if we could just get another couple of quality additions in too bolster our depleted ranks.

I'd actually forgotten about Dale Stephens, what a waste of money he looks like being, yes he was a cheap signing, but he'll be taking plenty in wages out of the club, and offering nothing in return, thank goodness he's out of contract in 12 months and we can release him,

I'm confident we will get signings, but we'll have to hold our nerve right until the final hours of the window I'm afraid, I only hope this doesn't cost us too many vital points in the first few games of the season, we can ill afford to suffer another slow start akin to last season.

It's next summer when the really big rebuild will need to happen, but if we can get a few quality additions in this window, and perhaps pick up 1 or 2 in January that won't half help our cause in the short as well as medium to long term.

In this respect Collins is an ideal capture, he'll possibly not play that much in the coming season, but at least we'll be prepared when Tarks goes next summer, succession planning is something which has been sorely lacking for several seasons, now, and if this signing marks a change of strategy by the club and SD that's to be welcomed.

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by leelad » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:56 pm

Looking forward to being back on the Turf first of all. Ideally I would like a couple of signings before the kick off, but wouldn't we all. Think that we will have to wait until close to the transfer deadline before things develop. I think that Brighton at home is a big game for us, I tend to say let's take it one game at a time, but given our poor home record in recent months and the first game with hopefully a reasonable crowd in, three points would give us a big boost for the rest of the season.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:50 pm

2 weeks to ko and we are unbelievably weaker than we were last season

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:54 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:43 am

I think we'll survive with what we currently have, but it'll be a damn sight easier if we could just get another couple of quality additions in too bolster our depleted ranks.
I think we'll survive if Nick Pope and James Tarkowski play in every game ;)

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:58 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:54 pm
I think we'll survive if Nick Pope and James Tarkowski play in every game ;)
Injuries or lack of will be key for us, just look at our stark contrast in results last season when we fielded a full strength side, and when we had one or two missing, it was chalk and cheese.

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:32 pm

14 days in which to sign some decent players and to sell some maybe for lots of money.

Only time will tell so patient’s required.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:38 pm

Peter Loo wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:32 pm
14 days in which to sign some decent players and to sell some maybe for lots of money.

Only time will tell so patient’s required.
We haven't got 14 days though have we, the window doesn't shut until the end of August, now yes ideally we'd like signings in before the big KO, but like it or not we don't live in an ideal world, and given our place in the pecking order we'll just have to hold our nerve, and wait and see what develops in the last few frantic days of the window, it's amazing how selling clubs, particularly those in the Championship, which is our main market for buying, suddenly lower their asking prices when they face the prospect of not moving certain high earners off their books, or not attracting the sort of large offers which they hoped for. it's a real cat and mouse game, and unless we somehow attract investors with incredibly deep pockets who're prepared to spend that will remain the case.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:21 am

Can't wait for the new season. Also, plenty of time for people to come in. My biggest fear is our manager not sticking around, not signing a new contract, if he feels he's not being backed adequately at this level. Can't see him staying if it's a case of 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss'. We'll know where we are soon enough.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:24 am

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:21 am
Can't wait for the new season. Also, plenty of time for people to come in. My biggest fear is our manager not sticking around, not signing a new contract, if he feels he's not being backed adequately at this level. Can't see him staying if it's a case of 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss'. We'll know where we are soon enough.
I’m still not sure if it’s a case if not being backed or a case of not prong prepared to dip our toes in the big pool.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:28 am

Two more weekends to go……………….how good will it be to see The Turf properly open for business again!!!
This user liked this post: ClaretMov

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:01 pm

even if we did sign a couple in the next 2 weeks, it highly unlikely they’ll be in the starting 11

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:06 pm

Would feel better if Pope was playing pre-season games. Hopefully Wood will be back now.

Dyche seemed to suggest the squad would be stronger after forthcoming friendlies. Not sure if that is in respect to Wood/Pope/Vydra coming back or he’s expecting imminent signings. Hopefully both!!!

NickBFC
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 278 times

Post by NickBFC » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:20 pm

Not feeling confident at all as things stand. We were clearly creaking last year, and as things stand the squad is too stretched and lacking in sufficient quality. Still a few weeks until the window shuts so I am hoping we finally strengthen the starting line up to give us a better chance of finishing above 3 sides. Going to be a tough season I think. Keeping our best players fit as going to be as important as ever.