Recruitment is pathetic

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Re: Recruitment is pathetic

Post by Peter Loo » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:34 pm

Patrick Vieira the first manager to be sacked next season, wonder what the odds are.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:36 pm

7/1

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:36 pm

Peter Loo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:34 pm
Patrick Vieira the first manager to be sacked next season, wonder what the odds are.
15/2

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:37 pm

I wish we could sack certain posters
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:42 pm

Yes 15/2 worth thinking about that.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:42 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:49 pm
That's why Crystal Palace are taking a big risk in appointing Patrick Vieira. It very much sounds like he is trying to get them to play in a completely different way to Roy Hodgson.

It may work, and fair play to them if it does but it is one big gamble.
Pretty much everything is a gamble in football to a certain degree, it’s somewhat unavoidable in this case with people leaving you need to replace & hope it works out, it’s a big risk in terms of PV not having any experience but in other ways it’s got it’s advantages with him attracting the players other managers could have struggled with, if he gets the respect from the players he’s on to a good thing.

Claret_tinted
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by Claret_tinted » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:47 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:34 pm
Of course the majority of the squad will need replacing in the next couple of years, however we can't totally rip up the blueprint which has served us so well, those players you've listed are hardened PL pros, who'll know how to survive in this league, if we just jettison that core and replace them with kids or younger players from the Champ, we'll almost certainly be staring at relegation, it's got to be a gradual process in our rebuilding.

Collins for Tarks is a good start, and if we can get a couple more over the line in this window, and perhaps another couple in January, that should make next summer an easier time, as we'll only need to be looking 4/5 new signings instead of wholesale changes.

Teams that embark on radical overhauls often struggle to integrate all their new arrivals, and usually they get relegated.

Evolution not revolution has to be the watchword for us.
You’ve made my point for me. We should’ve been integrating and then replacing over time. We haven’t, and it’s about to bite us HARD.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:16 pm

Claret_tinted wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:47 pm
You’ve made my point for me. We should’ve been integrating and then replacing over time. We haven’t, and it’s about to bite us HARD.
Bite us hard?

Sure it is :roll:

Claret_tinted

Post by Claret_tinted » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:46 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:16 pm
Bite us hard?

Sure it is :roll:
We can both have an opinion, one of us will be right.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:56 pm

Claret_tinted wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:46 pm
We can both have an opinion, one of us will be right.
You'll need to define hard then, just so we can be sure who's right.
Nothing like being able to move the goalposts for some of the naysayers on here.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:01 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:56 pm
Nothing like being able to move the goalposts for some of the naysayers on here.
I presume HARD is more severe than hard.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Claret_tinted

Post by Claret_tinted » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:12 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:56 pm
I’ve been really clear in all my other posts. I think we will go down this time. I think Dyche will be in a new job by the end of the season.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:34 pm

Claret_tinted wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:47 pm
I agree entirely, and I've stated on other topics that our lack of succession planning is criminal, now whether the new regime can fix that in a single window I highly doubt, but even if we get 2/3 younger additions to the 1st team squad, it will be a start, Collins is a signing that bodes well, but we need a few more.

Relegation per se doesn't unduly concern me, the odds are we won't keep defying gravity forever, and sooner or later we will probably return to the Championship, however what does concern me is what state the club and the squad is in when that occurs, my biggest worry is we go down and are left with an ageing squad with little resale value, Tarks is going for nothing next summer, so that leaves Dwight, Pope, and maybe Taylor & Wood that we could get good money for, but if that revenue is then having to be used to cover our debts, and the running costs of the club, it won't leave much in the kitty for new additions, even of a suitable Championship standard, last time we were in a decent position when we went down, our wage bill was a whole lot less as a % of income, and we were able to snap up Gray and Tarks amongst others to cement our promotion push.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but I don't see a similar outcome next time, should we fail to retain our PL status, firstly it's highly likely that SD will seek pastures new, so we'll be looking at a fairly big rebuilding process without our most important asset, and unlike 15/16 we probably wouldn't be in the top 2/3 net spenders in the Championship, this just makes retaining our seat at the top table for the foreseeable future all the more vital in my view, and the best hope of doing this is too improve the squad beyond our core of 15/16 players that we constantly rely on, they have performed heroically over the past year, but they desperately need help, and an influx of new blood would give them a huge boost I've no doubt.
These 2 users liked this post: Aclaret boatshed bill

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:37 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:34 pm
I agree entirely, and I've stated on other topics that our lack of succession planning is criminal, now whether the new regime can fix that in a single window I highly doubt, but even if we get 2/3 younger additions to the 1st team squad, it will be a start, Collins is a signing that bodes well, but we need a few more.

Relegation per se doesn't unduly concern me, the odds are we won't keep defying gravity forever, and sooner or later we will probably return to the Championship, however what does concern me is what state the club and the squad is in when that occurs, my biggest worry is we go down and are left with an ageing squad with little resale value, Tarks is going for nothing next summer, so that leaves Dwight, Pope, and maybe Taylor & Wood that we could get good money for, but if that revenue is then having to be used to cover our debts, and the running costs of the club, it won't leave much in the kitty for new additions, even of a suitable Championship standard, last time we were in a decent position when we went down, our wage bill was a whole lot less as a % of income, and we were able to snap up Gray and Tarks amongst others to cement our promotion push.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but I don't see a similar outcome next time, should we fail to retain our PL status, firstly it's highly likely that SD will seek pastures new, so we'll be looking at a fairly big rebuilding process without our most important asset, and unlike 15/16 we probably wouldn't be in the top 2/3 net spenders in the Championship, this just makes retaining our seat at the top table for the foreseeable future all the more vital in my view, and the best hope of doing this is too improve the squad beyond our core of 15/16 players that we constantly rely on, they have performed heroically over the past year, but they desperately need help, and an influx of new blood would give them a huge boost I've no doubt.
Tiger-100% agree with your comments
This user liked this post: tiger76

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:39 am

It’s not a shambles, but recruitment clearly isn’t one of our strengths either.

Going into a 4th season with more or less the same preferred starting XI is not part of any master plan. You only have to listen to Dyche’s interviews over the past two seasons to know it’s far from ideal to keep needing to get a tune out of these players year after year.

I don’t think it’s as straightforward as pure finance. I suspect the parameters Dyche places on recruitment also constrains us. I don’t we’ve signed a player for the first team squad from anywhere other than the Championship or Premier League since Defour came in back in 2016 - this is the 11th transfer window since then.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:31 pm

guess from SDs pov why would he be interested in players (aside from development squad players) unless they'd improve us. He's right to do that. We have to find a way to increase our margins commercially and expand the wage budget a bit I think, not easy, but very few players will take less money here if they can play for any other prem side for more. Similar to point above, who was the last money signing that noticeably improved our first 11? I actually can't think! Wood and Cork in the 2017/18 season? That's mad.