Any remote chance of some positivity?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Any remote chance of some positivity?

Post by claret59 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:38 pm

I get fed up of reading how the squad is an 'ageing one.' It is repeated so often a casual observer would think that we re putting out a team of geriatrics with a 'back up ' on the bench of players needing Zimmer frames.
Another hackneyed phrase is 'a paper-thin squad.' Repeated as though it was some kind of self full-filling prophecy , and that the squad is made up of A4 sized players. I thought squad sizes were laid down.
It just goes on and on. Every player mentioned as a possible target is dismissed as too expensive for us and how much you can get for one twix !
We are in the PL , have some really good players, and evidently money in the Bank. We have one of the best managers around and are often touted as an example of how a club should be run.
It has become fashionable for billionaires to buy a club and this skews the market where clubs who only recently were struggling to survive suddenly find themselves sitting on a pot of gold but no matter how wealthy they have suddenly become Burnley have , in the main, been able to match them over a number of seasons.
I have high hopes for this season and feel more positive than negative. we have 4 recognised goal scorers who will all be in double figures come the end of this season.
These 3 users liked this post: Paul Waine Bosscat Leisure

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6893 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Re: Any remote chance of some positivity?

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:42 pm

You can’t deny that since you posted this our squad has got even older. In fact it wouldn’t surprise me if some of our players legs go in the time it has taken me to type this. Why aren’t we doing something about the passage of time?

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:43 pm

No.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:45 pm

claret59 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:38 pm
the squad is an 'ageing one. we re putting out a team of geriatrics with a 'back up ' on the bench of players needing Zimmer frames.
A little harsh but not too far off the mark

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:46 pm

Where is it evident that we have money in the bank - beyond the first instalment of this seasons TV monies - next one at the end of Jan by the way

I am not saying we don't have money I am saying it is an unknown particularly if you are referring to reserves rather cash that is made up of accruals

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:52 pm

Why?

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:59 pm

This squad is about to embark on a last Indian Summer... you heard it here first...

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6893 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:01 pm

What I want to know is how is it possible to keep kicking the can down the road whilst simultaneously standing still?

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:03 pm

I'm positive that this transfer window is going to be a disaster.
How's that ?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:14 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:03 pm
I'm positive that this transfer window is going to be a disaster.
How's that ?
A disaster I don't think so, it's already an improvement on last summer, we've signed 2 players and there's still 4 weeks to go.

Plus so far we've retained all our major stars, and also SD who many thought might well be tempted away to Palace in particular.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2176 times

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:16 pm

We should cater for all tastes by making a marquee signing... paid for in cash! :D

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:18 pm

claret59 wrote:
I get fed up of reading how the squad is an 'ageing one.' It is repeated so often a casual observer would think that we re putting out a team of geriatrics with a 'back up ' on the bench of players needing Zimmer frames.
Another hackneyed phrase is 'a paper-thin squad.' Repeated as though it was some kind of self full-filling prophecy , and that the squad is made up of A4 sized players. I thought squad sizes were laid down.
It just goes on and on. Every player mentioned as a possible target is dismissed as too expensive for us and how much you can get for one twix !
We are in the PL , have some really good players, and evidently money in the Bank. We have one of the best managers around and are often touted as an example of how a club should be run.
It has become fashionable for billionaires to buy a club and this skews the market where clubs who only recently were struggling to survive suddenly find themselves sitting on a pot of gold but no matter how wealthy they have suddenly become Burnley have , in the main, been able to match them over a number of seasons.
I have high hopes for this season and feel more positive than negative. we have 4 recognised goal scorers who will all be in double figures come the end of this season.
Hi c59, oh, how I agree so much with your sentiments. There are so many on here who can't see that we are experiencing exciting times. We are about to kick off for our 6th successive Premier League season. A little more than a decade ago, 2009/10 to be precise, we'd experienced our first season in the top division since the mid-70s. Of course, that season the team didn't stay up. Then in 2012 Sean Dyche joined us as manager and we achieved our second promotion to the Premier League in the 2013/14 season. OK, again, that was only for one season, then in 2015/16 we won the Championship and were promoted for the 3rd time and then we finished 7th and were playing in Europe.

We now have new owners, owners who are ambitious for the club, owners who understand the importance of the club to the town and the neighbouring areas of Burnley. The transfer market is a "tough gig" but I don't recall a single window when the club has been reported (however accurate the reports) to be active and looking to bring in the players to strength the squad. More importantly, for the past year and more, the club has been "robust" in the windows and held on to the key players that are the essence of the team we support. It looks like we will be able to do the same again this summer.

We are experiencing exciting times.

UTC

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:24 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:46 pm
Where is it evident that we have money in the bank - beyond the first instalment of this seasons TV monies - next one at the end of Jan by the way

I am not saying we don't have money I am saying it is an unknown particularly if you are referring to reserves rather cash that is made up of accruals
Hi CP, some day, when we've both got time, I'll try and take you through the accounting entries that form a balance sheet and those that make up a profit and loss statement and, alongside both of them, the purpose of the cashflow statement.

"Reserves" "cash" and "accruals" is mixing all these things up.

UTC

claretbob
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by claretbob » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:52 pm

Last season we kicked off with five key first teamers injured, an extremely unhappy manager and a chairman who wanted out. This season with the exception of Pope everyone has had a full preseason and we all know that makes a huge difference. Based on the past 5 seasons we should be expecting a top ten finish and promising signs that our young players are getting closer to first team standard. Crowds back on Turf Moor and we can finally ditch those accursed masks: what not to like?

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:04 am

claret59 wrote:
we have 4 recognised goal scorers who will all be in double figures come the end of this season.
I like the sentiment behind the post but that claim is quite frankly laughable unless you are going to count goals in friendlies and U23 games they may appear in there is no way all 4 will get double figures, in fact even including cup games I would be surprised if anyone other than Wood managed more than 10.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:07 am

No higher finish than 15th.

Unless we sign some (2) players to improve first team and bench i.e all possible starters.

If not... A couple of key player injuries after the window and it could be worse

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:50 am

Struggling for positivity this time round.

Think we will be goners this time.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:28 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:16 pm
We should cater for all tastes by making a marquee signing... paid for in cash! :D
Sorry FC they’ve just announced TM is cashless going forward………starting next Saturday.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:36 am

claret59 wrote:
we have 4 recognised goal scorers who will all be in double figures come the end of this season.
Offsides or goals scored ? :D

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:38 am

claret59 wrote:
We are going into the season with the smallest and oldest squad in the league. We do have some good quality players in McNeil, Wood, Tarks and Pope but we can’t rely on the same 4 players to pull us through another season. They need some back up and if the owners are true to there word they will give our manager the support he deserves.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:30 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:38 am
We are going into the season with the smallest and oldest squad in the league. We do have some good quality players in McNeil, Wood, Tarks and Pope but we can’t rely on the same 4 players to pull us through another season. They need some back up and if the owners are true to there word they will give our manager the support he deserves.
Sorry but if you think we have relied on just four players you have no idea - Dyche's tremendous success has so clearly been built on teamwork.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:38 am

taio wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:30 am
Sorry but if you think we have relied on just four players you have no idea - Dyche's tremendous success has so clearly been built on teamwork.
Of course the team is built on teamwork but our main four players are the reason we stay up.
It’s there quality that pulls us through games.

The rest are depreciating rapidly

taio

Post by taio » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:39 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:38 am
Of course the team is built on teamwork but our main four players are the reason we stay up.
It’s there quality that pulls us through games.

The rest are depreciating rapidly
Mee?

willsclarets
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:28 am

It's fine to be positive, but criticism is fine too surely. Our squad is ageing and it's too small. That's a fact. And we haven't bought a player that has improved our first 11 markedly since 2017/18 when we got Wood and Cork in. That's not a great combination of factors. We desperately need new blood and we've spent next to nothing for years. You have to invest in the squad, or it'll bite you. As amazing as Sean Dyche has done, he needs help.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:34 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:24 pm
Hi CP, some day, when we've both got time, I'll try and take you through the accounting entries that form a balance sheet and those that make up a profit and loss statement and, alongside both of them, the purpose of the cashflow statement.

"Reserves" "cash" and "accruals" is mixing all these things up.

UTC
Ouch, going to need some Sudocrem for this burn.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:36 am

I'm excited for proper football to resume with fans in again, last season was a complete write off and it didn't help we were sh!te. We aren't far off, 2 good signings to slot straight into the 11 and suddenly my optimism will rise considerably, we haven't signed a player to slot into the 11 for 4 years so I don't hold much hope but expect the worst, hope for the best.

As for the 4 recognised goalscorers, I don't see that at all, did Barnes, Jrod and Vydra hit double figures last season combined? is that me being negative? I guess so.

RW has to be priority. Follow that up with the signing of Armstrong or something. Wood and Armstrong would be lethal together, Armstrong reminds me of Ings. We probably need to spend £25M on a RW and either a striker or CM upgrade. It sounds like alot of money but we've neglected the squad for so long it's kind of necessary.

taio

Post by taio » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:46 am

willsclarets wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:28 am
It's fine to be positive, but criticism is fine too surely. Our squad is ageing and it's too small. That's a fact. And we haven't bought a player that has improved our first 11 markedly since 2017/18 when we got Wood and Cork in. That's not a great combination of factors. We desperately need new blood and we've spent next to nothing for years. You have to invest in the squad, or it'll bite you. As amazing as Sean Dyche has done, he needs help.
I'd struggle to find any Burnley supporter who doesn't think we need to make signings to strengthen our squad. Criticism is fine too where, in my view, it is balanced and constructive. But there are a small handful of posters who are relentlessly negative and critical. I mean the latest suggestion that we are able to rely on just four players is an insult to the rest and misunderstands what our success has been built on. We also need to find more of a balance between experience and youth. But some of what is said about players aged 30+ is both baffling and arbitrary.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:25 am

taio wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:46 am
I'd struggle to find any Burnley supporter who doesn't think we need to make signings to strengthen our squad. Criticism is fine too where, in my view, it is balanced and constructive. But there are a small handful of posters who are relentlessly negative and critical. I mean the latest suggestion that we are able to rely on just four players is an insult to the rest and misunderstands what our success has been built on. We also need to find more of a balance between experience and youth. But some of what is said about players aged 30+ is both baffling and arbitrary.

I just don’t agree with your opinion at all.

If we took any of the four player I mentioned out of that team for a serious length of time (or sold them) then we would have been relegated last season. If that’s not depending on them players then I don’t know what is

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:29 am

"I don't know"

Probably the only part that is accurate

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:34 am

My in growing toenail has improved.
This user liked this post: Newcastleclaret93

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:41 am

+

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:45 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:18 pm
Hi c59, oh, how I agree so much with your sentiments. There are so many on here who can't see that we are experiencing exciting times. We are about to kick off for our 6th successive Premier League season. A little more than a decade ago, 2009/10 to be precise, we'd experienced our first season in the top division since the mid-70s. Of course, that season the team didn't stay up. Then in 2012 Sean Dyche joined us as manager and we achieved our second promotion to the Premier League in the 2013/14 season. OK, again, that was only for one season, then in 2015/16 we won the Championship and were promoted for the 3rd time and then we finished 7th and were playing in Europe.

We now have new owners, owners who are ambitious for the club, owners who understand the importance of the club to the town and the neighbouring areas of Burnley. The transfer market is a "tough gig" but I don't recall a single window when the club has been reported (however accurate the reports) to be active and looking to bring in the players to strength the squad. More importantly, for the past year and more, the club has been "robust" in the windows and held on to the key players that are the essence of the team we support. It looks like we will be able to do the same again this summer.

We are experiencing exciting times.

UTC
Shhhhhhhh Paul you know its not the done thing to be positive on here ....
😉

taio

Post by taio » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:06 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:25 am
I just don’t agree with your opinion at all.

If we took any of the four player I mentioned out of that team for a serious length of time (or sold them) then we would have been relegated last season. If that’s not depending on them players then I don’t know what is
Those four players are so important. But so are others and that's my point. For example, Mee has been as important as Tarkowski and Westwood would have been a massive loss to our central midfield area. Taylor, Lowton, Cork.. important players to name just a few more.

Bigvince
Been Liked: 930 times
Has Liked: 698 times

Post by Bigvince » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:48 am

Sorry claret59, I’m afraid your Post will just prove to be another conduit for negativity!

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:19 pm

I'm "Positive" there will be some "Positive" posters on here ...
Equally I'm "Positive" they will be outnumbered by "negative" posters

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3062 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:24 pm

A 319 quid season ticket in JML gives you 7 free games this season.

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:54 pm

To answer the OP, a message board is full of neg and pos posts and also in there some realistic ones.

Its the nature of message boards and if people can't or won't except that then they better not log on I suppose.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:36 pm

No.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:20 pm

3 points against Brighton could quickly change the mood, as would the return of Nick Pope, Oh! and a signing or two, we don't expect miracles, just a squad that will give SD a fighting chance of making us competitive.

Given that we finished 17th last season, and as yet we haven't improved our starting XI, it's hardly a surprise many posters are rightly worried about the upcoming campaign, I normally try and look on the bright side, but even I'm concerned about our prospects, especially if we suffer an injury or two to some of our key personnel.

In addition although it appears that there's a better working relationship between Dyche & Pace, than was the case between Dyche & Garlick in the latter days of Garlick's tenure, as yet we still haven't strengthened, and understandably the gaffer is reluctant to commit his long term future to BFC, well he has doubts over whether we're prepared as a club to give him the tools to do his job.

This is arguably the most worrying aspect for most fans, given that SD has presided over our most successful period in decades, and if he does choose to go, whether during the coming season, or at the end of it, we'll face a huge task in finding his replacement, no matter what league we're competing in.

As dedicated as our ageing squad has been over our time in the PL, it's apparent to many that we will need a gradual phasing out of our more experienced players, Bardsley & Barnes are just 2 who come to my mind anyway as being on the wane at this level, but we have several who're not getting any younger, and who are also out of contract in 12 months time, plus our best player in the form of James Tarkowski looks certain to leave, either for a nominal fee in the next window or two, or next summer when he can go on a free.

Do I think we can stay up. yes I do, however we'll be reliant on hoping we avoid long term injuries, as beyond our core group we lack quality as well as numbers.

Now if we can rectify these weaknesses in our squad, with 2/3 arrivals, the season will look entirely different, but as it stands I'd bite your hand off for coming 17th again, which in itself is worrying, as it would only take a couple of decisions going against us, or a run of bad form, and we'd be staring relegation in the face.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:43 pm

Ahhhhh another year in the premier league , it has a nice ring to it .

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:50 pm

I haven’t even got going on the negativity yet ;)

Middle-agedClaret
Been Liked: 314 times
Has Liked: 1069 times

Post by Middle-agedClaret » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:34 pm

Mmmm…. No.

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 pm

I am a bit surprised that no posters on this thread have reminded the rest of us of how Burnley were among the three lowest scorers last season and the other two were relegated. Some posters have delighted in reminding us of something the rest of us apparently didn't know. We had a bad start to the season over the first 7 games largely down to the absence of Mee in particular but also because of the injury situation. This meant we were in a relegation battle from the 8th game in and yet came through successfully. The very end of the season was also a disappointment but the team had avoided being relegated for certain with four games to go but a 17th place finish belies the fact that there was a considerable gap between us and the team in 18 th place. Once our Pl place was secured the players seemed to want to enjoy a 'group off day (s) !
I expect a lot better start this time around.
Perhaps I was a a bit ambitious to state all our 4 main strikers will get into double figures but only Vydra has yet to prove himself capable of that feat and many on here were forecasting that provided he had a 'decent run in the side,' he would be knocking in the goals on a regular basis.
I am so convinced of a good season that if I were a betting man I'd place a whole £10 on us finishing in the top four !

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:45 pm

Jimmymaccer wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:28 am
Sorry FC they’ve just announced TM is cashless going forward………starting next Saturday.
Which is why I suggested it. Never mind :roll:

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:47 pm

claret59 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 pm

I am so convinced of a good season that if I were a betting man I'd place a whole £10 on us finishing in the top four !
I'll have some of what you're on.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:11 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:38 am
This definitely wasn’t the thread for you….. have you not posted the same doomsday scenario on enough threads ffs….. stop catastrophising.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:35 pm

Rodleydave wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:59 pm
This squad is about to embark on a last Indian Summer... you heard it here first...
Are you addressing Blackburn Rovers here?

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:36 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:47 pm
I'll have some of what you're on.
I'll have a double.

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 714 times
Has Liked: 1998 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:37 pm

Looking forward to the start of the season. We have a month of transfers to happen, so I won't be negative until the window shuts and we haven't brought anyone in.

UTC!