Do we have to sell to buy?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Do we have to sell to buy?

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:38 pm

If so would selling Dwight for £40m make sense then reinvest in Shaquiri (if he will come) and another midfielder.

Apparently he is available for £12m which is a steal.

BuryClaret
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Re: Do we have to sell to buy?

Post by BuryClaret » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:45 pm

£12m transfer fee but how much are his wages?

That's our stumbling block.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:50 pm

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:38 pm
If so would selling Dwight for £40m make sense then reinvest in Shaquiri (if he will come) and another midfielder.

I along with everybody else has no idea, but it looks that way yes, could we attract £40m for Dwight in this window, Villa have been linked, but with their new additions they might not feel they need Dwight now.

Whether we sell to buy or not, I can't see Shaquiri rocking up at Burnley anytime soon, he doesn't strike me as a Dyche type of player.

If anyone is likely to flee the nest it'll be Tarks I reckon, he's due to go on a free next summer, so if we want to get a decent fee for him it'll need to be in this window, however don't forget Brentford are due a fair proportion of any fee we receive for JT, so that'll be a fair chunk not available for transfers.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 4977 times
Has Liked: 6658 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:06 pm

I think at the moment it looks like we may have to sell to pay our loan interest and wages, in reality what the F has changed ?

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3783 times
Has Liked: 1069 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:17 pm

with Fofana breaking his leg, Leicester might take Tarkowski but it wont be for much especially with Brentford due a significant %.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3783 times
Has Liked: 1069 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:17 pm

Don't worry anyway, Pace said Dyche wont be frustrated in transfer windows and supporting the manager is his first priority!!

lrac
Been Liked: 106 times
Has Liked: 283 times

Post by lrac » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:26 pm

More like our recruitment of 1st team players suck

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:30 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:06 pm
I think at the moment it looks like we may have to sell to pay our loan interest and wages, in reality what the F has changed ?
We're now supposedly carrying a hefty debt, so if it was possible we're in an even worse place than last summer. :roll:

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 693 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:32 pm

BuryClaret wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:45 pm
£12m transfer fee but how much are his wages?

That's our stumbling block.
That is his wages.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 693 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:33 pm

I think we need targets first and foremost.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1675 times
Has Liked: 753 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:34 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:50 pm
I along with everybody else has no idea, but it looks that way yes, could we attract £40m for Dwight in this window, Villa have been linked, but with their new additions they might not feel they need Dwight now.

Whether we sell to buy or not, I can't see Shaquiri rocking up at Burnley anytime soon, he doesn't strike me as a Dyche type of player.

If anyone is likely to flee the nest it'll be Tarks I reckon, he's due to go on a free next summer, so if we want to get a decent fee for him it'll need to be in this window, however don't forget Brentford are due a fair proportion of any fee we receive for JT, so that'll be a fair chunk not available for transfers.
I think Dwight has to kick on from what he has established in his first few seasons. He can one moment be sensational and a game changer but too often these days a one trick pony where he simply receives the ball and plays back to Taylor or Pieters, and on many occasions does not take his full back on. He is also exceptionally one footed, and strays into midfield. HE has however become fitter, stronger, and his defending has improved too.If he can move his game on with us this season, then you will have a £40m PLUS player on our books, but not until then

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3568 times
Has Liked: 1016 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:37 pm

There is no justifiable excuse that can be provided from the club if we do not sign two more players in midfield/wing positions. I have faith still, I mean, surely Alan Pace would not lie to us and our manager when he publicly stated that ‘Sean’ would be well supported in the market?

I used the word ‘disgusted’ in January at the lack of a single signing, which was a little crass and entitled of me at the time considering the meagre time ALK had in post - I regretted it, but my disappointment was still profound. My words would be far stronger this time if nothing significant (for us) transpired before the close of the window. I am genuinely one of the most placid, laid back and generally hard to annoy people you could meet in real life, but coupled with the other bizarre and worrying goings on at the club (mass ticket price increase, good/experienced staff being removed, no communication whatsoever etc) I would indeed be smashing the big red panic button.
These 8 users liked this post: warksclaret lrac tiger76 ClaretTony Dark Cloud bfcjg JohnMcGreal fatboy47

BuryClaret
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by BuryClaret » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:44 pm

CnBtruntru wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:32 pm
That is his wages.
I'd heard he was on £75k a week plus at Liverpool. The £12m was what Liverpool were looking for, as he has 2 years left on his contract.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:55 pm

...to buy a ticket in the Bob Lord? Yes, most probably.

If you're referring to buying football players, you obviously aren't aware of the way we do things at Burnley. We try not to recruit.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1920 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:02 pm

Hahha
ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:55 pm
...to buy a ticket in the Bob Lord? Yes, most probably.

If you're referring to buying football players, you obviously aren't aware of the way we do things at Burnley. We try not to recruit.
:lol: How stupid are you? You want the club to still charge Championship prices from 10 years ago but you want them to buy Premier League players worth millions.
This user liked this post: Grumps

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:06 pm

Dyched wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:02 pm
Hahha

:lol: How stupid are you? You want the club to still charge Championship prices from 10 years ago but you want them to buy Premier League players worth millions.
You've got that wrong. I don't just want it, I demand it.

If there were still any club employees left, I'd write strongly worded letter to one of them in which I make it known that I will not pay over £3.67 for my season ticket and that an expenditure of less than £764,000,0000 on transfer fees alone this summer will not be acceptable to me.

You've got to have high standards, pal.

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:13 pm

The money brought in through 'Match day income' for an entire season is around £6m. And you don't get many premier League players for that anymore, certainly not with wages too.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:12 pm

Has always been the way, and until we can fill a 40k ground or we have mega rich owners it will continue to be the way.

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:15 pm

I think it is safe to say these new owners have less money overall and are willing to spend less money then the previous owners.
A big step backwards. The next decade could be a long one.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:20 pm

Dyched wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:02 pm
Hahha

And yet the German clubs manage.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1980 times
Has Liked: 3293 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:23 pm

It increasingly looks like that's the case (sell before we can buy). I'm guessing the board assumed we'd be fighting off MASSIVE offers for all of Tarks, Pope and McNeil and that we'd be daft not to take one. The money would then be used to sign a number of players with real potential to increase in value. (Like Collins who has been largely funded by Gibson). Those huge offers haven't arrived and although we appear to be in for a whole host of players, that's actually been the case every window recently and we all know how it ends don't we??? Could be wrong like, but....

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:28 pm

Peter Crouch says no

Former Stoke and Liverpool striker Peter Crouch has criticised former teammate Xherdan Shaqiri in his new autobiography, highlighting the Swiss star's lack of teamwork and defensive contribution during the 2017/18 season, in which the Potters were relegated from the Premier League.

Crouch recalls how current Liverpool star Shaqiri could provide moments of magic, but he wouldn’t muck in and do the basics right, leaving Stoke exposed at times.

Crouch writes: “Shaqiri could be brilliant. He’d set off, dribble past two men, end up on the left wing – and stay on the left wing. Then we would be totally out of shape.

"Joe Allen would dash over to help the full-back, inadvertently leaving us short in midfield. At least drop into left midfield, you’d think, so we could all shuffle across.

“Instead it would take Shaqiri an age to re-animate. We would eventually lump the ball clear and he would be caught offside on the left touchline, as a right winger.”

Whilst Crouch acknowledged the good work of the Swiss international in forward areas, he was left frustrated many times by the current Liverpool midfielder.

He added: “There is a fine line between being mercurial and just doing what you want.

" People will point out, rightly, that Shaqiri scored eight goals and had seven assists during the 2017–18 season in a relegated team.

“But for 85 minutes each weekend he would be making everyone else’s job slightly harder. Resentment grew in the squad; resentment grew with management. Neither system nor player could mesh.”

12m and what are likely to be substantial wages is a lot to pay for a player that doesn't suit us.

A player that only cost Liverpool 13m three years ago. Since joining them he has hardly played and they have been looking to move him on during the last couple of windows, with no takers. He is currently 29, turning 30 in October, and would represent another player with a diminishing re-sale value.
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat Dark Cloud

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:30 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:23 pm
It increasingly looks like that's the case (sell before we can buy). I'm guessing the board assumed we'd be fighting off MASSIVE offers for all of Tarks, Pope and McNeil and that we'd be daft not to take one. The money would then be used to sign a number of players with real potential to increase in value. (Like Collins who has been largely funded by Gibson). Those huge offers haven't arrived and although we appear to be in for a whole host of players, that's actually been the case every window recently and we all know how it ends don't we??? Could be wrong like, but....
It usually ends with us comfortably achieving the target of staying in the PL.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:33 pm

thelaughingclaret wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:15 pm
I think it is safe to say these new owners have less money overall and are willing to spend less money then the previous owners.
A big step backwards. The next decade could be a long one.
Sounds like you think we’ve found our “Venkys”

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:35 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:30 pm
It usually ends with us comfortably achieving the target of staying in the PL.
Last season was FAR from comfortable, and this season will be far harder (I think!) without some serious additions.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:41 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:35 pm
Last season was FAR from comfortable, and this season will be far harder (I think!) without some serious additions.
We finished 11 points clear of the bottom three and were mathematically safe with three games to go (effectively safe with about 7 or 8 games left). How much more comfortable do you think it could be?

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:48 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:41 pm
We finished 11 points clear of the bottom three and were mathematically safe with three games to go (effectively safe with about 7 or 8 games left). How much more comfortable do you think it could be?
In fairness Paul my "we all know how that ended" was referring to the end of the transfer window which had regularly become a blank. However I take your point about us "appearing" to be comfortable when you view the final league table, but surely nobody who followed our season ever felt we were comfortable until it was over. It was a very, very tough watch, especially compared to our other PL seasons and we looked far, far below our usual selves on so many occasions (not all!) and that's got to be a worry for the future. (Unless we buy)

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:57 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:48 pm
In fairness Paul my "we all know how that ended" was referring to the end of the transfer window which had regularly become a blank. However I take your point about us "appearing" to be comfortable when you view the final league table, but surely nobody who followed our season ever felt we were comfortable until it was over. It was a very, very tough watch, especially compared to our other PL seasons and we looked far, far below our usual selves on so many occasions (not all!) and that's got to be a worry for the future. (Unless we buy)
I knew what you were referring to. But ultimately, despite all these terrible windows, we've achieved our targets on the pitch every season.

Every season is going to be a struggle in this league and one day we'll be relegated. I'm sure there'll be hundreds of "told you so" posts when that happens.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:59 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:37 pm
There is no justifiable excuse that can be provided from the club if we do not sign two more players in midfield/wing positions. I have faith still, I mean, surely Alan Pace would not lie to us and our manager when he publicly stated that ‘Sean’ would be well supported in the market?

I used the word ‘disgusted’ in January at the lack of a single signing, which was a little crass and entitled of me at the time considering the meagre time ALK had in post - I regretted it, but my disappointment was still profound. My words would be far stronger this time if nothing significant (for us) transpired before the close of the window. I am genuinely one of the most placid, laid back and generally hard to annoy people you could meet in real life, but coupled with the other bizarre and worrying goings on at the club (mass ticket price increase, good/experienced staff being removed, no communication whatsoever etc) I would indeed be smashing the big red panic button.
Spot on I can forgive our lack of spending last summer given the unique circumstances, and even in January when it looked like we'd be safe even without any new addition, but now Pace and his crew have had time to get their feet under the table it's time for action not words.

And I have to say from what I've been observing the early optimism is quickly draining away, not only our lack of transfer activity, but just the general vibe around the club doesn't bode well for the new season.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:05 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:57 pm
I knew what you were referring to. But ultimately, despite all these terrible windows, we've achieved our targets on the pitch every season.

Every season is going to be a struggle in this league and one day we'll be relegated. I'm sure there'll be hundreds of "told you so" posts when that happens.
Absolutely our PL dream won't last forever because like so many of the also ran clubs who have come and gone we're only ever a couple of key injuries, a few bad decisions or a freak goal away from the bottom 3. And yes most seasons (actually not all - 7th/10th place) are going to be a struggle, but last season was by far the hardest grind and I so often felt we wouldn't do it. Even after we were safe we still couldn't beat Sheff Utd and were actually woeful. I know we can't compete at the top end of the transfer market, but I honestly had genuine hope that ALK would bring some finance to (sensibly) rebuild and refresh the squad somewhat and atm I'm disappointed and concerned that it appears not to be the case. Hence the increasing belief that we possibly need to sell to finance purchases.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3094 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:09 pm

box_of_frogs wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:20 pm
And yet the German clubs manage.
Very different economics in German Football overall

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1675 times
Has Liked: 753 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:22 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:59 pm
Spot on I can forgive our lack of spending last summer given the unique circumstances, and even in January when it looked like we'd be safe even without any new addition, but now Pace and his crew have had time to get their feet under the table it's time for action not words.

And I have to say from what I've been observing the early optimism is quickly draining away, not only our lack of transfer activity, but just the general vibe around the club doesn't bode well for the new season.
As someone who lives 160 miles away whenever I get to home games I cannot fail to acknowledge the immense community benefit BFC provides in the town and surrounds.For me it HAS BEEN the ultimate PL community club. I just hope with decisions being made at the highest level right now, alongside some loyal staff that have been let go, and with the minimum communication, that we start to erode this

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:39 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:05 pm
Absolutely our PL dream won't last forever because like so many of the also ran clubs who have come and gone we're only ever a couple of key injuries, a few bad decisions or a freak goal away from the bottom 3. And yes most seasons (actually not all - 7th/10th place) are going to be a struggle, but last season was by far the hardest grind and I so often felt we wouldn't do it. Even after we were safe we still couldn't beat Sheff Utd and were actually woeful. I know we can't compete at the top end of the transfer market, but I honestly had genuine hope that ALK would bring some finance to (sensibly) rebuild and refresh the squad somewhat and atm I'm disappointed and concerned that it appears not to be the case. Hence the increasing belief that we possibly need to sell to finance purchases.
Even the seasons we finished in the top half were expected to be a struggle preseason.

If we do need to sell before we can buy, then I'd prefer we didn't. Selling your best players is a sure fire route to relegation and I think thevreason we've achieved our targets over the last few years is because we haven't done that.

I do expect we'll make a signing or two before the end of the month.

paulatky
Been Liked: 219 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:23 pm

We need to sell to make the next instalments to
MG and JB.

One of the 3 will need to be offloaded

Gazclaret83
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Gazclaret83 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:25 pm

Doesn't matter one bit if shaquiri is available for 12m. We have a wage structure an won't break it. If we had 500m to spend we'd struggle haha

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by Peter Loo » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:30 pm

To answer the title question, we always had to when we were in the 1st Division and don’t think it can change unless we get very rich people on the board.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2891 times
Has Liked: 1293 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:31 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:48 pm
So you think it was all going swimmingly well when we had 12 points from 19 matches at the half way point three seasons ago?

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:51 pm

Every Claret who was almost hysterical with anger against those of us who were cautious about having foreign owners calling us closet racists,local club for local people and other such tedious insults what do you think now that it's obvious the cash is going to American investors ? No doubt if and when it all goes tits up and us luddites are the backbone and cash cow of the club will you have the good grace to perhaps apologise ? Exciting times ????????????

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1866 times
Has Liked: 834 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:54 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:51 pm
Every Claret who was almost hysterical with anger against those of us who were cautious about having foreign owners calling us closet racists,local club for local people and other such tedious insults what do you think now that it's obvious the cash is going to American investors ? No doubt if and when it all goes tits up and us luddites are the backbone and cash cow of the club will you have the good grace to perhaps apologise ? Exciting times ????????????
It’s been 8 months and we are in exactly the same position. Save your wailing for May 2022 when we finish 4th.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:56 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:51 pm
Whether they turn out to be good or bad owners, the fact that they're foreign is completely irrelevant.

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:13 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:56 pm
Whether they turn out to be good or bad owners, the fact that they're foreign is completely irrelevant.
I think it is relevant as the point was that we have a section of fans who think having foreign owners is the be all and end all to football success.

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:16 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:50 pm

Wouldn't want to lose Tarks for at least another year as we dont know if Collins can make the grade (yet) a lot of pressure on him to step up if so.

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:17 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:54 pm
It’s been 8 months and we are in exactly the same position. Save your wailing for May 2022 when we finish 4th.
I think we are actually in a worse position, player salary money going to the USA to service a debt, tell me how it is better ? (New led advertising boards excluded obviously)

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:19 pm

Going back to my original post if we sold McNeil for £40m then we could possibly get two wingers for that price as starters into the squad and possibly improving the first eleven seeing as were technically skint!

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:21 pm

I would hope the scouting team have imagined such a scenario and that isn't a pun about Lennon !

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1866 times
Has Liked: 834 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:27 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:17 pm
I think we are actually in a worse position, player salary money going to the USA to service a debt, tell me how it is better ? (New led advertising boards excluded obviously)
The season doesn’t start for another week. Money going to the USA to service a debt none of us will know until next years accounts come out. Still better worrying about it all now and forming facts off heresay.

claretbob
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by claretbob » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:33 pm

Unthinkable to sell Dwight he is absolutely irreplaceable and with 3/4 years left on his contract no need to even consider it. Tarks is a different matter if Leicester can be persuaded to hand over £25m.
Hard to believe people can’t see how much stronger we are than last season when we were crippled by injuries and our small squad had a considerably shorter close season to contend with. This time round so many teams are carrying injuries, exhausted international players, new managers etc our onfield stability is a real asset. Of course we need two wide men but surely we all know signings will go right to the wire and our first Xl looks really strong.
These are probably the greatest years in Burnley’s history when you consider the mega bucks teams we are playing against but you’d never believe it reading this forum. Thankfully our home crowd has a very different vibe as Brighton will experience in a week’s time.
This user liked this post: tiger76

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:35 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:27 pm
The season doesn’t start for another week. Money going to the USA to service a debt none of us will know until next years accounts come out. Still better worrying about it all now and forming facts off heresay.
Can you honestly say you are happy with our squad and transfers ?

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:43 pm

Oh f*** off will yer.
This user liked this post: conyoviejo

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:26 am

Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:16 pm
Wouldn't want to lose Tarks for at least another year as we dont know if Collins can make the grade (yet) a lot of pressure on him to step up if so.
Neither would I, but we're seemingly stuck between a rock and a hard place regarding transfers ATM, and selling one of our in demand players might allow us to do the business we need to do, however I do take your point on Collins, he's being given lots of praise by the Stoke fans in particular, but he hasn't yet kicked a ball in the PL, and we tend to forget he's still only 20.

On balance I'd probably err on keeping Tarks for another year, even if that means he walks for free in 12 months, it would be fantastic if he would sign a new contract at Burnley, but all the evidence points to this being unlikely.