BPF!!!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Re: BPF!!!

Post by Local cricketer » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:36 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:38 pm
rubbish. he is definately.
He saved a penalty against Lithuania hardly makes him Lev Yashin

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:55 am

Local cricketer wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:36 am
Zzzzzzzzzz 😴😴😴😴😴
This user liked this post: KateR

CharlieinNewMexico

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:00 am

Local cricketer wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:36 am
Lithuania was suffocated as a country during Lev Yashins time so it couldn’t. Re-emerged in 1990.

🔨🧠🧐🤷

Local cricketer

Post by Local cricketer » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:05 am

You do know people are allowed a different opinion to yourself. I don’t think BPF is any good and you do. No problem the proof will be in the pudding
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

CharlieinNewMexico

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:55 am

Local cricketer wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:05 am
You do know people are allowed a different opinion to yourself. I don’t think BPF is any good and you do. No problem the proof will be in the pudding
That’s your standard fall back on every single thing I’ve ever seen you write. It’s like a child repeating the tens times tables.

Clearly you’re entitled to any opinion you wish, but eventually people just give up on your relevance 🤷🤷🤷🤷

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:10 am

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:55 am
That’s your standard fall back on every single thing I’ve ever seen you write. It’s like a child repeating the tens times tables.

Clearly you’re entitled to any opinion you wish, but eventually people just give up on your relevance 🤷🤷🤷🤷
He's 100% correct though isn't he.

Have you ever stopped to think that , to some, the prospect of getting into a ,"no he's not," "yes he is," "no he's not," perpetual argument isn't such a hot ticket.

Maybe, just maybe, he sees you and your opinion as not being relevant. 🤷🤷🤷🤷

CharlieinNewMexico

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:14 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:10 am
He's 100% correct though isn't he.

Have you ever stopped to think that , to some, the prospect of getting into a ,"no he's not," "yes he is," "no he's not," perpetual argument isn't such a hot ticket.

Maybe, just maybe, he sees you and your opinion as not being relevant. 🤷🤷🤷🤷
Thanks for logging in on your other account LC 🤷

CharlieinNewMexico

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:17 am

Just to be clear I think BPF is currently a poor premier league keeper that needs experience. My point was Local Cricketer beats the same drum relentlessly (zzzzz) and Lithuania (technically) didn’t exist in Lev Yashin’s time.

So yeah. Zzzzzzzzz

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:40 am

Watched the save this morning on SSN. It was a decent penalty and a top save.

Really pleased to see BPF getting games on loan and showing great form. Still young for a GK. I think he’ll make it with the right management.
These 3 users liked this post: Leisure tiger76 KateR

Local cricketer

Post by Local cricketer » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:44 am

Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:14 am
Haha is that your standard response to everything? Accuse people of having multiple accounts?
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1133 times
Has Liked: 1607 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:48 am

20210903_073223.jpg
20210903_073223.jpg (454.7 KiB) Viewed 3364 times

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6901 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:08 am

BPF is obviously a decent keeper, and it’s great to see him doing well at Wednesday and for NI. But the Premier League is a long way from League 1 and Lithuania, and these games aren’t going to prove whether he can make it at the top level.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:11 am

Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:14 am
Oh dear. Raw nerve well and truly touched.

The truth hurts apparently.!

I'd keep replying to your paranoid assumptions but to be honest , I don't see them or you as having any "relevance".

Toodle pip.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:17 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:08 am
BPF is obviously a decent keeper, and it’s great to see him doing well at Wednesday and for NI. But the Premier League is a long way from League 1 and Lithuania, and these games aren’t going to prove whether he can make it at the top level.
Fair analysis Riley, however even if he doesn't make it at the top level, it's better for BFC if he impresses for club and country, as that's our best hope of being able to potentially sell him on for decent money.

Do I think he'll make it in the PL, if I'm honest no I don't, but I can see him picking up a Championship club if he carries on performing strongly for Sheff Wed & Northern Ireland.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:20 am

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:17 am
Fair analysis Riley, however even if he doesn't make it at the top level, it's better for BFC if he impresses for club and country, as that's our best hope of being able to potentially sell him on for decent money.

Do I think he'll make it in the PL, if I'm honest no I don't, but I can see him picking up a Championship club if he carries on performing strongly for Sheff Wed & Northern Ireland.
He’s got time on his side, but he looked a long way short for us. Let’s hope he gets some good experience and makes the step up. I suspect, should we survive the drop this season, that we’ll look to move him on permanently next summer.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:32 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:08 am
"These games aren't going to prove whether he can make it at top level" so why have we loaned him out if he's no future at the club? Somebody somewhere must think differently to you otherwise he would have just been sold, to get to where Hennessy is currently an improvement only as to be marginal for a understudy.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:34 am

He's not good enough, I'd be very surprised if he plays for us again.

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:39 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:32 am
"These games aren't going to prove whether he can make it at top level" so why have we loaned him out if he's no future at the club? Somebody somewhere must think differently to you otherwise he would have just been sold, to get to where Hennessy is currently an improvement only as to be marginal for a understudy.
If (as looks up to now) he proves a valuable asset later in the season and Wednesday are in with a good chance of promotion then we will get more for him then than now.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:41 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
We can only sell him if there's interested parties, and to my knowledge there wasn't any rumours in the window regarding Bailey.

So I guess SD and the coaches have decided our best option was to loan him out, and at least put in the shop window for a future move.

If BPF had remained at Burnley for the season he'd have been 3rd choice, and might not have even played in our cup games, so it's best for everyone if he goes out and gets regular footy.

His confidence was clearly shot at the end of last season, so anything which helps him regain that has to be a benefit for him and Burnley.

Local cricketer

Post by Local cricketer » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:42 am

Steve1956 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:34 am
He's not good enough, I'd be very surprised if he plays for us again.
Careful your not allowed to say that

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:43 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:20 am
He’s got time on his side, but he looked a long way short for us. Let’s hope he gets some good experience and makes the step up. I suspect, should we survive the drop this season, that we’ll look to move him on permanently next summer.
In fairness though, we only really played him against top teams that we'd expect to get smashed by anyway. The selection of Norris for more winable games was a "headscratcher" for me. A lot of Goalkeeping is about confidence, positioning, sharpness - which you only really get from playing games. Tad harsh to throw him in against the teams we have, without any games, and expect him to be at a high level. I'm not sure we've seen the best of him.

If he didn't play for us, and we saw him keeping clean sheets for SW, saving pens and playing well for NI, I think we'd all be happy if we signed him as one to develop. I'd hope he goes to a Championship club next year and tests himself at that level before we take any decisions. And of course that might be playing for us if we were to go down as Pope would move on, so it's good back-up to retain.

As an aside, I don't think the GK quality in the Prem is so high. The Brighton keeper was shocking, I thought, and even the greats like De Gea have had really bad spells of being utterly crap. Ditto Pickford. Henderson has done well at Sheff U when playing regularly, but will be interesting how he does when in/out of the side this season. I think the level for a Prem keeper is probably a bit below what we've become used to with Pope, Heaton etc.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:44 am

Local cricketer wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:42 am
Maybe not...but true 👍

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:49 am

Local cricketer wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:42 am
I don't get all the adulation he's getting,right now he's playing in the third division,and international football for a team that he will star in because their goal will be under threat more,Norris is better than him,hence he still at the club Farrell isnt

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:50 am

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:41 am
We can only sell him if there's interested parties, and to my knowledge there wasn't any rumours in the window regarding Bailey.

So I guess SD and the coaches have decided our best option was to loan him out, and at least put in the shop window for a future move.

If BPF had remained at Burnley for the season he'd have been 3rd choice, and might not have even played in our cup games, so it's best for everyone if he goes out and gets regular footy.

His confidence was clearly shot at the end of last season, so anything which helps him regain that has to be a benefit for him and Burnley.
We can only sell him you are right if somebody wants to buy him, we can't be sure that we wanted to sell him, the only thing we can be sure about is the club/BPF didn't want him to stay & he does need to be playing regular, he's 24 around peak & that standard can be maintained until the early 30s, he's a solid championship keeper or a PL deputy that's what he is & probably that's all he'll ever be whether that's here or elsewhere.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:36 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
I didn’t say definitively that he has no future at the club did I?! I very much doubt he has a future with us whilst we’re in the Premier League, but I could be wrong.

He was displaced by our third choice goalkeeper last season and then sent out on loan. Perhaps there were no interested parties who would meet our valuation for a permanent deal. Perhaps we think his value will increase following a successful season in League One. Perhaps we retained him as an insurance policy in case of relegation to the Championship.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:41 am

NewClaret wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:43 am
In fairness though, we only really played him against top teams that we'd expect to get smashed by anyway. The selection of Norris for more winable games was a "headscratcher" for me. A lot of Goalkeeping is about confidence, positioning, sharpness - which you only really get from playing games. Tad harsh to throw him in against the teams we have, without any games, and expect him to be at a high level. I'm not sure we've seen the best of him.

If he didn't play for us, and we saw him keeping clean sheets for SW, saving pens and playing well for NI, I think we'd all be happy if we signed him as one to develop. I'd hope he goes to a Championship club next year and tests himself at that level before we take any decisions. And of course that might be playing for us if we were to go down as Pope would move on, so it's good back-up to retain.

As an aside, I don't think the GK quality in the Prem is so high. The Brighton keeper was shocking, I thought, and even the greats like De Gea have had really bad spells of being utterly crap. Ditto Pickford. Henderson has done well at Sheff U when playing regularly, but will be interesting how he does when in/out of the side this season. I think the level for a Prem keeper is probably a bit below what we've become used to with Pope, Heaton etc.
I’m all for giving players a chance, and BPF didn’t have enough of one for me to definitively conclude that he isn’t good enough. But regardless of the opposition, in the chances he was given he let in numerous goals which a Premier League goalkeeper would be expected to prevent. As did Norris, and this is why we moved very quickly to sign an experienced PL keeper as back up, because the way that we play we need a goalkeeper who will make a lot of routine saves.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:54 am

I can't understand anyone being negative about BPF.
He's played a few cameos in his time here, and has always looked decent enough. He's also performed well for NI in this period.
The one time he looked poor, was when he came in for Nick at the end of last season. He needs more game time, which the management obviously agree, and so far at Sheff Wed he is doing a fantastic job. Charlton fans didn't think a great deal of Nick, ok but nothing special was the common opinion.
In time Nick is likely to draw a big fee from someone, and BPF could well be a great replacement, but to judge him on a couple of poor games is sad.
These 3 users liked this post: Darnhill Claret Claret Till I Die KateR

chekhov
Been Liked: 804 times
Has Liked: 1513 times

Post by chekhov » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:03 pm

I think Local Cricketer is conflating not being allowed to have a different opinion, to having a badly argued viewpoint and then having people disagree with him.
This user liked this post: CharlieinNewMexico

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:22 pm

I think it is too early to write BPF of. He played the tougher games… got his legs tanned and loaned out to rebuild his confidence. Hennessy arriving made the loan logical, but WH is not a long term signing. BPF built his reputation in the Championship, played in the Premier League and his now experiencing league one. If Sean wants him back he returns fully confident, more experienced and with the Premier League no longer a surprise, having already faced the best it as to offer.

Far too soon in his career for ‘not good enough’ labelling. I prefer not ready yet, but certainly not written off. I think Norris staying in 3rd choice suggests to me that our coaches think he needs more work before he can be considered being sent out to be a number one.

Karhu_Claret
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by Karhu_Claret » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:28 pm

I think BPF got a lot of unfair stick at the end of last season.

At 24 Pope was thrown in at the deep end after Heaton's injury. As Robinson was very much in his twilight, it was effectively sink or swim for Pope (which he did wonderfully, thank god). Pope had an excellent and relatively settled defence in front of him and a Cork and Defour partnership which was fantastic at protecting the defence, particularly in the first half of that season.

At 24 BPF got a scattering of appearances throughout a fairly tumultuous and draining season on the players. Did BPF play particularly well? No. Did he have the opportunity and time to build the necessary on-pitch relationship with the players in front of him? No. Is the relationship between an inexperienced goalkeeper (still learning his trade) and the defenders an important component of competitive football? Yes - a hundred times yes.

BPF needs to be in an environment where he's going to be a number 1, where he is going to play week in, week out as the first choice keeper, where the defence in front of him can build an understanding of his positioning, when he's going to come for crosses and when he's not. He's currently got that at Wednesday and is so far flourishing, showing himself to be a cut above the other keepers at that level. As a result, he will come back a better, more confident and experienced keeper with (all being well with injures etc) more than a decade of football to look forward to.

Will he be as good as Pope and play 100+ games for Burnley? I've no idea, but I'm pretty confident that he'll come back in a better position to compete.
These 4 users liked this post: Claret Till I Die tiger76 AfloatinClaret Buxtonclaret

Bigvince
Been Liked: 930 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:33 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:49 am
I don't get all the adulation he's getting,right now he's playing in the third division,and international football for a team that he will star in because their goal will be under threat more,Norris is better than him,hence he still at the club Farrell isnt
I think neither of last seasons back up keepers were good enough to play for us in the premier league, but have you considered that nobody wanted will Norris on loan this season? IMO BPF is the better keeper of the 2, but that’s just my opinion.
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

Claret Till I Die

Post by Claret Till I Die » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:04 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:49 am
How many times have you seen both play Steve ?

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:24 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:04 pm
How many times have you seen both play Steve ?
It's only my opinion on what I have seen CTID,I don't think he will play for us again,Dyche had a look at him last season and he came up short and moved him on, some of our support rate him some don't...everyone is allowed an opinion I respect yours,I would hope you would respect mine,time will tell how good he his,some will be rightsome will be wrong.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:42 pm

I'd like to know how many of our goalkeeping experts have played in goal?

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:45 pm

He is performing well, yes it's at a lower level but he is proving himself, what's not to like and why all the disparaging of a BFC player doing well, I really don't understand. Yes I think we would all agree he is not at the stage to replace Pope and I'm 99.99% certain he wont be next year either when the new season starts, so at the best he is second choice.

However he is playing well, if SW get promoted and due in no small measure to his work then you would have to imagine that his stock & value goes up, which surely is a good thing for BFC?

I will leave it Mercer to make the decision as to whether he is good enough and when, if at all, to step up, but am sure he must have seen something in him, therefore I am never going to argue with his input, given the Goal Keeping situation at BFC for quite a number of years.
These 4 users liked this post: Guller Bull tiger76 Claret Till I Die Dark Cloud

Claret Till I Die

Post by Claret Till I Die » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:20 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:24 pm
It's only my opinion on what I have seen CTID,I don't think he will play for us again,Dyche had a look at him last season and he came up short and moved him on, some of our support rate him some don't...everyone is allowed an opinion I respect yours,I would hope you would respect mine,time will tell how good he his,some will be rightsome will be wrong.
I will respect your opinion Steve, as for our supporters being split on his ability that doesn't matter. It's the same with NI fans. But I happen to know that SD & BM both rate him highly and I would rather respect them who have seen him multiple times in training and on the pitch.
I personally think that we'll see him again in a Burnley shirt unless he decides that he wants to play elsewhere from next season.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:23 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:20 pm
I will respect your opinion Steve, as for our supporters being split on his ability that doesn't matter. It's the same with NI fans. But I happen to know that SD & BM both rate him highly and I would rather respect them who have seen him multiple times in training and on the pitch.
I personally think that we'll see him again in a Burnley shirt unless he decides that he wants to play elsewhere from next season.
Ok fair enough..we will see.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:21 pm

NIreland v Sui

BPF Another fine Pen Save
These 2 users liked this post: chekhov KateR

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:48 pm

HunterST_BFC wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:21 pm
NIreland v Sui

BPF Another fine Pen Save
Fast becoming a pen specialist!!

24 years old and impressing at international level. Read this morning on Twitter that Pope has just got relegated with Charlton and Heaton was a sub for Cardiff at 24.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32239 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:06 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:48 pm
Fast becoming a pen specialist!!

24 years old and impressing at international level. Read this morning on Twitter that Pope has just got relegated with Charlton and Heaton was a sub for Cardiff at 24.
Heaton joined Cardiff at 24 but, having started in the team he lost his place to David Marshall and became to cup goalkeeper.

Pope was relegated just after his 24th but had only been in the Charlton team for half a season after the owners told the manager not to play Stephen Henderson because he’d spoken out against them.

Local cricketer

Post by Local cricketer » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:11 pm

Fair play to the lad. Doesn’t mean he didn’t have a couple of shockers when he’s played for us

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:15 pm

Local cricketer wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:11 pm
Fair play to the lad. Doesn’t mean he didn’t have a couple of shockers when he’s played for us
Yep and bloody good experience it gave him too. He will be far more comfortable when he returns to the top level asa result. He has, time and is already showing all the right signs… he has stormed back from the knock… playing international games and learning his trade. I think SD will be very impressed with him.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:22 pm

Pen saved again

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:51 pm

Clean sheet and another pen save for BPF. And he's enjoying a decent run for club & country right now, which can only benefit him in the long run.
These 2 users liked this post: chekhov Buxtonclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32239 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:00 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:51 pm
Clean sheet and another pen save for BPF. And he's enjoying a decent run for club & country right now, which can only benefit him in the long run.
Spot on. His confidence must be high right now.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:07 pm

Local cricketer wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:11 pm

It's time you gave it a rest, you are starting to sound ridiculous. ;)

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:17 pm

Anyone got a link to his latest pen save?
The last one he kept out was brilliant!

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:25 pm

Buxtonclaret wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:17 pm
Anyone got a link to his latest pen save?
The last one he kept out was brilliant!
It's on youtube.
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

Buxtonclaret

Post by Buxtonclaret » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:27 pm

Cheers, BB

Buxtonclaret