Ashley Barnes - the positives ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Re: Ashley Barnes - the positives ?

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:52 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:52 am
Put any other similar striker in the same position as Wood (Barny is usually out wide doing the donkey work.) and they would score at least twice as many as he does with the quality of crosses he gets.

Let's just agree to disagree.

How ridiculous. Woody scores a lot more goals than any of our other options because he gets in the right place at the right time and is a decent finisher with both feet and his head. His involvement in play is average but not bad and his defensive work is excellent.
Barnes hasn’t scored consistently for years. He doesn’t look like he’ll ever score again - he looks utterly harmless. He doesn’t even win any headers to say he’s supposed to be a big guy. It’s a shame because he was a good player for us, but we really need to move on now. Vydra does everything Barnes does just as well, but has the ability to link our midfield and attack, as well as having the pace to run the channels - meaning woody doesn’t have to and he can do what he’s better at and stay central and hold the ball up.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:02 pm

Barnes is perfect for the last 15 minutes if we are closing out a 1-0 win. He will make a nuisance of himself, back into players, get you free kicks, and run down the clock. As a starter-NO. Has had a run of games and it is fair now to replace him with Vydra
These 3 users liked this post: Iloveyoubrady tiger76 k90bfc

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 854 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:12 pm

Well, I wouldn't expact a Brady lover to agree with me, as I was gobsmacked when he got a years extension. (Along with most others on here.)

As for being a 'Big man', Barnes is only 6'-1", which is small for a striker like him these day. And as for not scoring, that's probably because he's played as a hold up player for Wood and spends most of the matches out wide doing the donkey work for him.

Barnes is also struggling more because of the new reffing rules as was pointed out earlier. Put him in the middle though, with Vydra alongside, and we might see a much better goal return from him.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:07 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:14 am
But Barnes is totally ineffective either way. Absolutely no lint in him being there regardless of the tactics we operate.
I didn't say we should start him but I expect he will for the reason stated as Dyche doesn't seem to see beyond him at the moment

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 313 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:19 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:02 pm
Barnes is perfect for the last 15 minutes if we are closing out a 1-0 win. He will make a nuisance of himself, back into players, get you free kicks, and run down the clock. As a starter-NO. Has had a run of games and it is fair now to replace him with Vydra
Vydra played his way into team last season had a great understanding with Wood and basically stopped us getting relegated due to being less predicatable than Barnes (who i rate when hes in form).

New season comes around and hes dropped because he got married and didn't tell Dyche in the close season , you couldn't make it up.

Guy must feel like he is being bullied, if i was him i'd be off, slightest chance i got.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:58 pm

Pearcey wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:52 pm
Bizarre post just to slag off a brilliant servant of the club.
They're part of the ME/NOW generation. They don't care!

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:30 pm

I can’t believe that Gordake is genuinely comparing Barnes and Wood.

We were terrible last season with Barnes in. As soon he’s out of the way we go on a great run and Wood scores for fun.

He’s totally ineffective these days. He was once a poor man’s Diego Costa he’s now a poor man’s Ian Helliwell, time to change it.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:47 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:30 pm
I can’t believe that Gordake is genuinely comparing Barnes and Wood.

We were terrible last season with Barnes in. As soon he’s out of the way we go on a great run and Wood scores for fun.

He’s totally ineffective these days. He was once a poor man’s Diego Costa he’s now a poor man’s Ian Helliwell, time to change it.
Wood is our one forward who can regularly bag at this level, yes he can be frustrating sometimes, but without his goals we wouldn't still be playing in the PL.

Barnes as much as he's had a great run is now a bit part player at best for me.

Vydra can also be wasteful in front of goal, however when he partners Wood the whole team functions much more effectively, and the likes of Dwight & Westy impact the games in a positive manner, and rack up far more assists.

If the opposition defenders see Barnes/Wood in our line-up, they'll be happy, as they'll know neither has the pace or movement to run in behind and stretch the game.
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc bobinho

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:49 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:00 pm
The weakest argument ever.
Keep it up!..........you might get that "most negative poster" award yet.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:51 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:12 pm
Well, I wouldn't expact a Brady lover to agree with me, as I was gobsmacked when he got a years extension. (Along with most others on here.)

As for being a 'Big man', Barnes is only 6'-1", which is small for a striker like him these day. And as for not scoring, that's probably because he's played as a hold up player for Wood and spends most of the matches out wide doing the donkey work for him.

Barnes is also struggling more because of the new reffing rules as was pointed out earlier. Put him in the middle though, with Vydra alongside, and we might see a much better goal return from him.
Christ.
You really don’t need to bring a username up as some sort of gospel truth - I thought Brady was shot and a waste of a wage by the time he left, and only got another year because we had doubled £13 million on him.

If you can’t call Barnes a big man at 6”1, what is he? He’s based his career of roughing up defenders and winning long balls/scraps. He is slow and nothing special technically - so what is he?
And he doesn’t play “out wide,” he’s just so ridiculously slow that wood is left to run the channels. Our strikers are given roles based on their strengths. Therefore, Wood leads the line running in behind and Barnes drops in to get on the ball. When Vydra plays, he runs the channels in behind, leaving Wood to drop in - which is the recipe that lead to us playing so well last season in that period.

Why would we try Barnes and Vydra - which hasn’t worked, to score more goals, than Wood and Vydra - which has. Wood scores 0.34 goals per game, Barnes 0.23. That sums it up.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:30 pm

ClaretAL wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:35 pm
I have heard this also. Furthermore in an interview pre season Dyche said " and Vyds decides yo go and get married and have a honeymoon without telling any of us, but that is just like Vyds"
As is his right during his own time, not like he needs Dyche's permission.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:39 pm

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:51 pm
Christ.
You really don’t need to bring a username up as some sort of gospel truth - I thought Brady was shot and a waste of a wage by the time he left, and only got another year because we had doubled £13 million on him.

If you can’t call Barnes a big man at 6”1, what is he? He’s based his career of roughing up defenders and winning long balls/scraps. He is slow and nothing special technically - so what is he?
And he doesn’t play “out wide,” he’s just so ridiculously slow that wood is left to run the channels. Our strikers are given roles based on their strengths. Therefore, Wood leads the line running in behind and Barnes drops in to get on the ball. When Vydra plays, he runs the channels in behind, leaving Wood to drop in - which is the recipe that lead to us playing so well last season in that period.

Why would we try Barnes and Vydra - which hasn’t worked, to score more goals, than Wood and Vydra - which has. Wood scores 0.34 goals per game, Barnes 0.23. That sums it up.
Agree with a lot of this, Brady was a liability in his last couple of years, Barnes is simply not good enough to be a PL player now, and the sooner we move him on the better, he's hardly scored a goal in 2 seasons.

Barnes/Wood may have been an effective pairing once, but not anymore.

Barnes/Vydra- no daft idea, for starters why would we drop our leading marksman.

Vydra/Wood is easily our best forward partnership, but for whatever reason SD either can't or won't acknowledge this fact.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:55 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:49 pm
Keep it up!..........you might get that "most negative poster" award yet.
Another classic...

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:59 pm

Not a good time to ask for positives about Barnes

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:20 pm

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:19 pm
Vydra played his way into team last season had a great understanding with Wood and basically stopped us getting relegated due to being less predicatable than Barnes (who i rate when hes in form).

New season comes around and hes dropped because he got married and didn't tell Dyche in the close season , you couldn't make it up.

Guy must feel like he is being bullied, if i was him i'd be off, slightest chance i got.
Have become a fan of Vydra-didn't rate him at first but he blossomed in the latter part of last season, and personally for me the Vydra/Wood combination is the best permutation. Having said that, right now a 5 man midfield and a few 0-0 would make me happy

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:32 pm

ClaretAL wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:35 pm
I have heard this also. Furthermore in an interview pre season Dyche said " and Vyds decides yo go and get married and have a honeymoon without telling any of us, but that is just like Vyds"
Getting married during your summer break is obviously a bigger crime than getting boozed up on the coach home from an away game and jumping in your car to drive home.
These 3 users liked this post: RVclaret nil_desperandum bobinho

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 189 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:44 pm

That’s why one off them is dyche love child you decide utc

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:48 pm

I said 2 years ago Barnes should leave while he still had credibility. Good servant? Definitely. But memories don’t work in the real world. Dyche, as great as he is, has a blind spot for Barnes’ inadequacies which defy logic. People have said he sees more in training, that he sees his enthusiasm, he knows his work rate and all the rest, but that is no good if it doesn’t transpose onto the pitch, and it just doesn’t.
I want to remember all the good things about Ash but I don’t want to watch him waste away like an old rock star who doesn’t know when to call it a day. He is fast becoming a parody of himself and I think I’m not alone when my heart sinks to my knees on seeing him in the starting 11.
Time to set him to pasture before he becomes a liability.
These 5 users liked this post: tiger76 bfcjg diamondpocket longsidepies bobinho

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:57 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:32 pm
Getting married during your summer break is obviously a bigger crime than getting boozed up on the coach home from an away game and jumping in your car to drive home.
If Dyche was getting married at short notice in the close season would he tell Vydra
This user liked this post: Steve1956

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:43 pm

Can we stop calling them servants since we've made them millionaires many times over?

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:24 pm

He’s here to win freekicks. Pure and simple.

I know the money was great for him and unless he’s gone downhill these past few years, how Sam Vokes is in League 1 and Ashley Barnes in the Premier League I can’t understand. They’re the same age, had pretty similar careers here. Vokes was better at holding the ball up, bringing in teammates, a greater goal threat. The only thing Barnes has that Vokes didn’t is the way Barnes can bully defenders. Apart from last night and a quite a few other occasions.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:23 pm

Taffy on the wing

Post by Taffy on the wing » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:13 am

Having just watched the Everton game ( i played golf yesterday ) i can state the following...from TV*.
He did everything he could............He gets a 7 from me. He was fouled & double teamed constantly.
.......He had no service...His one chance to make a difference was the Brownhill chance he made (first half)
Atkinson gave him nothing, despite Mina wrestling him constantly..............

.............................SO SICK OF THE WHINERS ON HERE!

LDNBFC87
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 382 times

Post by LDNBFC87 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:47 am

Positives.... :?

He'll always drive you home from the pub?
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg tiger76

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:58 am

Dyche is hanging him out to dry and leaving him open to such ridicule, Barnes could be a last 10 minute battering ram instead of the pale imitation of what he was.
These 3 users liked this post: houseboy AfloatinClaret tiger76

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:01 am

bfcjg wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:58 am
Dyche is hanging him out to dry and leaving him open to such ridicule, Barnes could be a last 10 minute battering ram instead of the pale imitation of what he was.
Just this.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:04 am

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:13 am
Having just watched the Everton game ( i played golf yesterday ) i can state the following...from TV*.
He did everything he could............He gets a 7 from me. He was fouled & double teamed constantly.
.......He had no service...His one chance to make a difference was the Brownhill chance he made (first half)
Atkinson gave him nothing, despite Mina wrestling him constantly..............

.............................SO SICK OF THE WHINERS ON HERE!
It’s not people ‘whining’ Taff, it’s people being realistic. There is and can be no excuse for continuously starting with your 4th choice striker when they are all fit, and 4th choice he is now, or should be.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:14 am

houseboy wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:04 am
It’s not people ‘whining’ Taff, it’s people being realistic. There is and can be no excuse for continuously starting with your 4th choice striker when they are all fit, and 4th choice he is now, or should be.
Barnes is a premier league player and is selected to play by Dyche.
How come Barnes has become the fall guy ?

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:26 am

Positives hmm! he's out of contract next year, however the club does have the option of another 12 months, so it'll be interesting whether we take up that option or not, I suppose it might well depend what division we're competing in at the time. As Barnes would be a more than useful Championship player, but his PL days should be numbered, and how he continually gets the nod ahead of Vydra baffles me, Ash Barnes has barely scored a goal in 2 seasons, yet SD still deems him worthy of a starting berth, and yes I know Vydra isn't exactly prolific either, but he at least offers other qualities in his game that Ashley doesn't.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:40 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:14 am
Barnes is a premier league player and is selected to play by Dyche.
How come Barnes has become the fall guy ?
He’s a PL player yes, but he is not PL quality. He was but he is no longer. As for Dyche choosing him...why? As i’ve Said before he might know infinitely more about the players but whatever Dyche might ‘know’ it is very obviously not transferring into the pitch. Nobody is perfect, not even Dyche, and in this case it is patently obvious to most that he is getting it wrong. As of right now if we are going to be playing two strikers it should without doubt be Wood and Vydra, the stats show it, people being happier with the football show it. Wood is all the poorer these days when playing alongside Barnes. We all feared that when Barnes was fit again Dyche would haul him back and it has happened. I doubt if Barnes would get a game at any other PL club.
The irony about all this is Dyche has been a very outspoken critic (rightly so) of the divers and cheaters in the game and yet there is no worse offender at our club than Barnes. It’s all very odd.
This user liked this post: tiger76

willsclarets
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:05 pm

Barnes doesn't get anywhere near the starting 11 of any other Premier league team, and some championship ones too. This might sound harsh but I genuinely don't think he's currently any better than Sam Vokes, who's at Wycombe.

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:49 pm

I like Barnes but he is woefully out of form, everyone can see that apart from the manager, how Vydra is not playing is anyones guess, ****** on his chips again?

Claretitus
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by Claretitus » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:40 pm

Errrrm…………………………………………………………. no, can’t think of any at the moment. He’s been very good for us in previous seasons, but now offers nothing. Time to drop him and play Wood/Vydra.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:27 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:57 pm
If Dyche was getting married at short notice in the close season would he tell Vydra
:lol:

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:24 pm

The only positive today was when he went off.
He's been good for us over the years, but he offers very little now.

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 288 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:28 pm

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:49 pm
I like Barnes but he is woefully out of form, everyone can see that apart from the manager, how Vydra is not playing is anyones guess, ****** on his chips again?
At some point out of form becomes just not good enough and I feel we’re there with Barnes, probably have been for some time.

He’s been very effective for us in the past but those days are gone now.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:30 pm

Differcult to criticise one of our own, but having him on the pitch stifles our play. At the same Point as Vokesey right now, time to move on.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:31 pm

Would be better as a last ten minute impact sub, to wind down the clock and win a few free kicks

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:35 pm

An absolute shambles , shouid only ever be used as a last resort . Just holding the team up now and shouldn’t be anywhere near the 1st team

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:49 pm

He was no worse than wood today, or against Everton.

Should have done better with his header today - he had time to chest it and volley - old Barnes would have done that and scored.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:51 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:50 pm
I'm positive he should be dropped for Vydra
Just this

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:02 pm

Sad to see it coming to this....why can't Dyche see what most fans can see ? Hate to see a great Burnley career petering out to stick from the fans.
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:46 pm

Embarrassing again today , offered nothing,did nothing like playing with ten men. Sad it's come to this, Dyche must see something that we, in fact the football world cannot see.
Positives ? He went off.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:58 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:02 pm
Sad to see it coming to this....why can't Dyche see what most fans can see ? Hate to see a great Burnley career petering out to stick from the fans.
Yup.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:03 pm

I think Dyche will have seen enough today to drop him finally. 3 decent chance in the first half without him threatening the goal. No turning back now

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:39 pm

RicardoMontalban wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:28 pm
At some point out of form becomes just not good enough and I feel we’re there with Barnes, probably have been for some time.

He’s been very effective for us in the past but those days are gone now.
I agree if it is a terminal decline it is sad to see but we simply must start Vydra next game, we need his speed and guile to get past defences.
These 2 users liked this post: tiger76 Dark Cloud