REPORT: Clarets still can’t find that first win

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

REPORT: Clarets still can’t find that first win

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:48 pm

This user liked this post: KateR

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Re: REPORT: Clarets still can’t find that first win

Post by beddie » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:11 pm

A good true reflection of the game. Don’t think it was a dropped ball after the penalty that never was, thought he gave a goal kick but I stand to be corrected.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:18 pm

beddie wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:11 pm
A good true reflection of the game. Don’t think it was a dropped ball after the penalty that never was, thought he gave a goal kick but I stand to be corrected.
Was definitely a dropped ball but looking back at it the ball was still in play when he blew for the penalty so he can’t restart with a corner. I don’t think he’s got any option but to give a dropped ball.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:19 pm

sums us up perfectly

"It was another afternoon of what might have been against as poor an Arsenal side as we’ve played in the Premier League era, but a combination of not keeping clean sheets and not scoring many goals is holding us back and will continue to do so until such time as both can be rectified."

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:18 pm

I don't normally comment on reports but that summed it up rather well.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:30 pm

Thought we looked lethargic in the first half. Second half was brighter but I've watched enough games over the years when we don't look like scoring and sadly this was another.Players shouldn't be jaded at this time of the season but Chris Wood appears to be struggling perhaps as a result of little or no break due to his involvement in the Olympics.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:40 pm

Corky wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:18 pm
I don't normally comment on reports but that summed it up rather well.
You should comment more often 😀😀😀

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:29 pm

Midfield is pretty much the first line of defense and also the key area from which to create/supply goal scoring opportunities for our strikers
Apart from McNeill, we offer very little in this area of the pitch
Cornet may eventually add to the creativity and I just hope Dwight can operate on the right flank if Cornet can't
But central midfield is a real worry with two small guys who cannot take control in this area
They can't win the important tackles, they have little pace to get up and down the pitch, and so they either give little support to the strikers or are caught out when teams break quickly on us
Westwood seems to be dropping off the game more quickly than Brownhill.
Aimless balls hooked into the penalty area when he doesn't even look up to see if anyone is there and his stupid foul cost us the free kick as he could not keep up with the pace
Cork is of the same mould and Stephens is nowhere to be seen
If four midfielders can't cope then surely it is time to at least try a bank of five
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:58 pm

Its been many games since we should have played an extra man in midfield, or at least play 4411 or 4141. We have been totally sussed out and they all know Mee and Tarks will drop back and attack down the middle.

Really poor tactical awareness from us.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:21 pm

" not keeping clean sheets and not scoring many goals is holding us back and will continue to do so until such time as both can be rectified " Well there's only another transfer window that can do that, but have we got more cash to splash, that is the question. Our team is desperate for a good creative midfielder and a striker who can find the net......but we all know that.
If we don't find the answer, well, as the old saying goes, The Writing is on the wall.
Good report Tony.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:23 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:58 pm
Its been many games since we should have played an extra man in midfield, or at least play 4411 or 4141.
And then people moan that we are not playing two strikers

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:32 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:23 pm
Indeed. People would then say it's too negative and typical Dyche and that's why fans are staying away.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:01 pm

Good and fair report CT.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:19 pm

We fit the full profile of a side on the way down. Don't score many, don't keep clean sheets, don't win when playing well, don't win at home. There is of course time to reverse all this, but I rather worry the rot from last season has now well and truly set in and will be affecting the players. All the more reason for a shake up in selection..(anyone remember McNeil and Heaton vs West Ham?).

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:15 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:23 pm
Of course, but it ain't working atm so something different needed.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:42 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:18 pm
Was definitely a dropped ball but looking back at it the ball was still in play when he blew for the penalty so he can’t restart with a corner. I don’t think he’s got any option but to give a dropped ball.
Spot on report.
I've seen indirect free kicks given after penalties overturned with the keeper taking them, but this was definitely a drop ball as he picked it up. I will always join in shouting our injusts though as that's when Turf Moors at it's best.

There's a spelling mistake for the passback where you have written sort, instead of left it short. I'm only pointing out as these reports stay on the Internet don't they?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:10 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:48 pm
Burnley v Arsenal report

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/clarets-st ... -first-win
Fair assessment CT, a game we could and should have got at least a point from.

2 clean sheets in 18 is alarming, where's our strong jaw gone, as you rightly mention we're never going to be prolific at PL level, but we've generally made our goals count when they do come, the 3 goals we've netted this term have only counted for 1 point, and this will have to improve quickly.

Yet again it's a decent enough showing, 2nd half especially, but another fruitless afternoon at home.

As pleasing on the eye as some of our football has been, give me a couple of 1-0 wins just to get us up and running again.

And on the evidence of that 90 minutes Arsenal will struggle to finish top 10, they're really not a good team these days, despite their large spending in the window.

Just one error to note, you state in the final paragraph we haven't enjoyed a home win since defeating Bournemouth in February 2020, I know our home form is poor, but our last home success would be the Villa game, unless you're referring to only Saturday games in which case you might well be correct, but then we haven't had many Saturday home games during that period that I can recall.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:34 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:42 am
There's a spelling mistake for the passback where you have written sort, instead of left it short. I'm only pointing out as these reports stay on the Internet don't they?
Thanks, I've corrected it.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:35 am

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:10 am
Just one error to note, you state in the final paragraph we haven't enjoyed a home win since defeating Bournemouth in February 2020, I know our home form is poor, but our last home success would be the Villa game, unless you're referring to only Saturday games in which case you might well be correct, but then we haven't had many Saturday home games during that period that I can recall.
Was referring to the last time we won with fans in the ground

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:40 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:35 am
Was referring to the last time we won with fans in the ground

Ah! now it makes sense. :) has it really been 18 months blimey!

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:30 am

It feels like everything is going in against us, I just knew that free kick was going in, it's our ''luck'' atm.

We can't keep a clean sheet to save our lives and I can count on 1 hand the times we've won from losing positions in the last 6 years.

we have 1 striker capable of putting the ball in the net regularly, a central midfielder with 0 PL goals, another who only scores directly from corners and a wide player with 2 assists since 2018/19 (1 was the cross at Everton recently).

Defensively we used to be solid, that's completely gone. The entire back 5 aren't at their best collectively, last season Pope saves that freekick. Lowton has been ok but in a team lacking chance creation, it's essential we get good delivery from right back with the inverted wingers. Tarkowski has been pretty solid this season. Mee looks all over the place atm. Taylor has been good at giving 100% but his delivery has been wasteful and we've shipped god knows how many goals from his side.

I think it's time for major radical changes, 4 wins in 25 games, 442 is not working.

Is Mee suffering from the same athletic decline as many of his team mates? It happens to every player with age/injuries, apart from Ronaldo. It happens at different ages too, Rooney was pretty washed up and past it when he was 28/29, still all the ability just not the same as he was in his prime.

You cannot fault the desire and application from the team, Barnes is giving his absolute all, Gudmundsson is running his knackers off, these players and a few others just aren't good enough. Like seriously, 2 assists in 2+ seasons is absolutely shocking statistics. Barnes hasn't scored a goal in his last 19 games.

Rodriguez is reportedly getting paid £50,000 a week, 1 goal in 31 appearances last season. Barnes and Rodriguez haven't scored a goal between them since February.

Aaron Lennon another, 36 games last season for a relegated Turkish team, 0 goals.

Pieters should come into this team, I thought he was considerably better than Taylor last season, his delivery is better too. We were excellent away at Palace when Pieters played.
We aren't getting any kind of productivity from the right hand side, Roberts has to play when fit.
The middle of defence either needs an extra body in Collins or an extra man in midfield for protection.
Upfront, we can't keep persisting with the same stuff, Wood looks badly out of form and maybe needs a rest due to his international duties in the summer Olympics. If Wood doesn't need a rest, Mcneil in behind? Cornet in behind?

I don't know the answers but what I do know is 442 with Barnes and Gudmundsson isn't enough.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:32 am

No different to last season where we struggled to score.

Six goals in our first twelve matches.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:35 am

Spijed wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:32 am
No different to last season where we struggled to score.

Six goals in our first twelve matches.
4 wins in 25 games suggests to me it's a much more long term issue than simply a poor early start.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:39 am

We have the manager to grind away and turn this around and plenty of football to be played this season, so it's not full blown panic yet. I just think simply plugging away with 442 and the same side isn't gonna crack it though. Are we just gonna keep persisting with Barnes and hope he rediscovers his scoring form from 2018?

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:56 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:39 am
We have the manager to grind away and turn this around and plenty of football to be played this season, so it's not full blown panic yet. I just think simply plugging away with 442 and the same side isn't gonna crack it though. Are we just gonna keep persisting with Barnes and hope he rediscovers his scoring form from 2018?
Barnes has to be dropped or rested if some prefer, he had a couple of chances on Saturday, and didn't even trouble the keeper, now if you can't get shots on target you're not going to score, and it was noticeable to all how much better we looked in the last half hour when Cornet & Vydra entered the fray, although we didn't find the equaliser we at least made Arsenal work to hang on to their slender victory.

TBF if we could I'd try and ship Barnes out in January, even if we only obtain a nominal fee for him it's better than nothing, of course we'd need to have a replacement ready before moving him on, but while Ash has been a great pro during his 8 year Burnley stint, we now have to be ruthless, and shift out the dead wood, we did it with Vokes, and it's now time to do it with Barnes.

If SD is going to persist with 4-4-2 then fine, but the 2 have to Vydra/Wood, this pairing played a major role in our upturn of form last season, and now with the addition of Cornet, who looks like he'll be able to provide decent service, we might stand a chance of scoring a goal or two, as it stands if we continue as we are, I fear we'll be playing in the Championship come next season, so there does have to changes either in players or formation, because what we've been doing over the last year or so, by and large isn't working.

1 home PL win this calendar year is a stark stat, and we'll likely need to rack up 6-7 wins at TM to stand any hope of survival. and as we've lost our ability to keep clean sheets, we're needing to net at least 2 to stand any chance of claiming 3 points.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:05 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:35 am
4 wins in 25 games suggests to me it's a much more long term issue than simply a poor early start.
Correct although I'm sure once we start playing our best 11 footballers from the start, our fortunes may start to turn around

It's funny one is team sports, that you generally stand a better chance of a result should you play your better players..

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:25 pm

Wood is struggling because of poor service.
Yes, he's missed a couple he shouldn't have, but despite playing a lot better possession football, the crosses have generally been poor.
I said on the post match thread, we aren't getting enough bodies into the box to meet the crosses either. It was noticeable that Arsenal got all the second balls on Saturday, with very little pressure on them. That's where we pick most of our goals from, and without pressing for the second ball we will continue to struggle.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:16 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:30 am
Wood looks badly out of form and maybe needs a rest due to his international duties in the summer Olympics.
What excuse did you use for Wood at the start of last season when he was struggling for goals?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:21 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:30 am
Wood looks badly out of form and maybe needs a rest due to his international duties in the summer Olympics.
It's a concern - he's not had a break of note
This user liked this post: KRBFC

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:55 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:56 pm

1 home PL win this calendar year is a stark stat, and we'll likely need to rack up 6-7 wins at TM to stand any hope of survival. and as we've lost our ability to keep clean sheets, we're needing to net at least 2 to stand any chance of claiming 3 points.
Yes, that needs to improve:
16/17 - 10 wins
17/18 - 7 wins
18/19 - 7 wins
19/20 - 8 wins
20/21 - 4 wins

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:41 pm

Wood was struggling last season until he was paired with Vydra.

However we’ve gone back to Barnes this season.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:50 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:41 pm
Wood was struggling last season until he was paired with Vydra.

However we’ve gone back to Barnes this season.
Precisely! nail on the head.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:54 pm

Spijed wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:16 pm
What excuse did you use for Wood at the start of last season when he was struggling for goals?
as CT has said, he's not really had a break. I'm not making an excuse for him and it's nothing to do with his lack of goals, his ball control/movement more than anything. It's possible he could be playing through an injury. To me, it looks like he's struggling physically/mentally with the game.

I think Dyche knows it too, that's why he was subbed off on Saturday. Has he ever subbed off Wood when we've been 1-0 down?
This user liked this post: Spijed