Panorama - Footballs Broken Dreams - 8.30pm

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Panorama - Footballs Broken Dreams - 8.30pm

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:31 am

Screenshot_20210920-083018.png
Screenshot_20210920-083018.png (506.77 KiB) Viewed 4237 times

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Re: Panorama - Footballs Broken Dreams - 8.30pm

Post by Awayfromburnley » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:49 am

I will watch this.

I feel so strongly against what, in my opinion, is effectively trading children as commodities.

We don't have similar for non sports- architects, teachers etc. I cannot get my head around why we do it for sport, particularly football.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:01 am

Very interesting story on the BBC website, I think this programme will be a shocker for some agents and stars.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1392 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:18 am

But I suspect no different to the way it worked twenty-five and no doubt fifty years years before that; I fail to comprehend why young footballers' feelings of being 'discarded' when they fail to make the grade any different from those of the millions of other youngsters who find that they can't cut it in their chosen profession?

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:54 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:18 am
But I suspect no different to the way it worked twenty-five and no doubt fifty years years before that; I fail to comprehend why young footballers' feelings of being 'discarded' when they fail to make the grade any different from those of the millions of other youngsters who find that they can't cut it in their chosen profession?
It’s more to do with dreams being dashed, some children from a early age will go to bed at night & dream about becoming the next Harry Kane or mason mount when there grow up, some children might end up becoming plumbers or electricians but there won’t be going to bed at night thinking about the local plumbers or electricians, the pursuit to be something is far more obsessive & so is the disappointment upon failure.
Last edited by Jakubclaret on Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:54 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:01 am
Very interesting story on the BBC website, I think this programme will be a shocker for some agents and stars.
Where?

Are parents mentioned?

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1392 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:03 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:54 pm
It’s more to do with dreams being dashed, some children from a early age will go to bed at night & dream about becoming the next Harry Kane or mason mount when there grow up, some children might end up becoming plumbers or electricians but there won’t be going to bed at night thinking about the local plumbers or electricians, the pursuit to be something is far more obsessive & so is the disappointment upon failure.
But that's exactly my point. The 'dreams' of kids today are no different to those of their fathers and grandfathers before them; the change/difference has not been with the football industry, but in the way in which the education system, the media and perhaps society as a whole, now prepares kids to deal with and accept life's inevitable disappointments and defeats.
Telling little Freddy that he's just as good/valuable/highly regarded as little Harry & Mason and ensuring that they all receive equally big medals on sports day and/or a handful of GCSEs each might make for a happier and more harmonious school life, but once they enter into the real/commercial world that follows, employers - be that Manchester United or the local builder - are not going to continue employing them irrespective of whether or not they're up to doing the job. I have sympathy for people with 'mental health issues', but they and simply being disappointed or even p155ed-off because you don't get your own way/just what you want are not one and the same; the world does not owe anyone a living, that's why we refer to 'earning' one.
These 2 users liked this post: Boss Hogg claretfern

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:39 pm

Back in the day kids weren't thinking they might be driving Lambos

Indecisive
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:10 pm

I’ve an 8 year old who absolutely loves playing football with his friends in school and for a Sunday league team. I love watching him, coaching him in my spare time, and watching him develop as a player and start to gain a real competitive spirit.

He’s probably not quite at the level where he would attract scouts, but if he did, I really don’t think I’d like him involved with professional teams youth systems. The chances of making it as a professional player are next to non, conversely the chances of being chewed up and spat out by a club are very high.

No problem in helping him understand that it’s a competitive world out there, but id like him to stay in environments where the priority is developing him and readying him for adulthood. The priority of an academy is Ultimately to provide a financial return to a football club. As much as they may profess otherwise, the real metrics for measuring an academy’s success is through the £££ value of the players it produces.
These 2 users liked this post: Awayfromburnley HunterST_BFC

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:13 pm

Hipper wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:54 pm
Where?

Are parents mentioned?
I read it this morning before leaving for work but it's gone now. One agent used to get Raheem Stirling to speak to youngsters on his mobile as hecwined and dined the youngster and their parents.
This user liked this post: Hipper

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:44 pm

Indecisive wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:10 pm
I’ve an 8 year old who absolutely loves playing football with his friends in school and for a Sunday league team. I love watching him, coaching him in my spare time, and watching him develop as a player and start to gain a real competitive spirit.

He’s probably not quite at the level where he would attract scouts, but if he did, I really don’t think I’d like him involved with professional teams youth systems. The chances of making it as a professional player are next to non, conversely the chances of being chewed up and spat out by a club are very high.

No problem in helping him understand that it’s a competitive world out there, but id like him to stay in environments where the priority is developing him and readying him for adulthood. The priority of an academy is Ultimately to provide a financial return to a football club. As much as they may profess otherwise, the real metrics for measuring an academy’s success is through the £££ value of the players it produces.
I can relate to every single word on there! Well put.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:54 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:18 am
This

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:59 pm

Indecisive wrote:

Agree with this and similar with my lad. He keeps asking how he can get to play for Burnley. One of his coaches has said he doesn’t think they should go to professional clubs at all before 11 as it takes the enjoyment out of it for them.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:00 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:13 pm
I read it this morning before leaving for work but it's gone now. One agent used to get Raheem Stirling to speak to youngsters on his mobile as hecwined and dined the youngster and their parents.
I guess this is the article your referencing.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58600845

I've a feeling there's more to be unearthed over this particular issue.
This user liked this post: Hipper

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:07 pm

I think the pressure now starts to a certain degree by some parents and they are bigged up by their peers and friends if they are at an academy, in our day when you played for the town team you felt almost elite to a certain extent some agents use all these factors to snare kids.

Blatherwickstattoo
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by Blatherwickstattoo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:15 pm

Not seen the program yet but Having been through this, I can say that the things put in place by the PFA 20 years ago were none existent. The 3 year college course they make you do as part of a scholarship is usually only a btech because you can only do one day a week so you’ve not much to fall back on.

There’s much more to be done on the mental aspect of it for youngsters who don’t make the grade. Especially with the amount of money in the game these days.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 313 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:16 pm

There are too many ex professionals that take great pleasure in bullying up and coming youngsters during youth coaching.

After a few high profile cases I hope the FA are going to crack down on this in the future.

Sad that ex internationals feel the need to do it in the first place, tells you a lot about their character.

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:23 am

Indecisive wrote:

Sounds a lot like our youngest, except with cricket. Loves playing for his local team (there is a good camaraderie between them), dreams of playing for the 2nd XI, 1st XI and England. He knows he has to work hard to progress and we spend most of the summer practicing, about 50-50 fun and hard work.

At times he is very good for his age (he was unplayable in a couple of games at the end of the season - not my words), he gets good comments from other coaches and parents, but he never gets told he is good, he is just one part of the team. If he makes a mistake he goes and works at it, he even plays well and work on areas where he knows he could do even better.

If/when his ultimate dream ends he will have had fun along the way, learnt the value of working hard, made some friends for life and should be around the Lancashire League for the next few decades.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:38 am

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:16 pm
There are too many ex professionals that take great pleasure in bullying up and coming youngsters during youth coaching.

After a few high profile cases I hope the FA are going to crack down on this in the future.

Sad that ex internationals feel the need to do it in the first place, tells you a lot about their character.
After the Bob Higgins business less concentration may be diverted away from the bullying & redirected towards something more sinister if lessons are to be learnt in avoiding past mistakes, I hope efforts will be prioritised firstly towards that & then focus on other things.

Claret_tinted
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by Claret_tinted » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:03 am

Both my boys (8 & 6) have been offered academy places. We don’t tell them. They love playing with their pals, they love winning, hate losing but they do it all with out an ounce of pressure on their shoulders. They’ll learn more now with the friends they’re with at school, than traipsing to a 4g pitch twice a week to play with strangers.

When they get to 12/14 then they can decide if they want to pursue that path. Personally the 8 year old won’t make it, he’s going to be a middle distance runner. The 6 year old has a good chance, he reads the game well, he’s mechanically sound and just loves to pass a football.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:00 am

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:16 pm

Steve.
Stonewall comment right there.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:42 am

Some good comments.
Whilst, like all boys, I wanted to be a footballer, I was not good enough, so realised it was not possible. However, I did train with Reading, under an old time pro, Jimmy Wheeler.

I used to play left wing in those days.
We did skill stuff and then played each week at Elm Park.
However, he took the joy out of playing because he insisted that defenders stopped attackers, no matter what. "If he gets past you - clog him".

I was regularly kicked and tackled by lunging legs after that and it really made going to train an uncomfortable experience. That never happened when we played for the school. Boys would have been reprimanded. Tackled/fouled yes but not just because someone gets the better of you.

It is tough being a pro, that's for sure, even today but perhaps not quite like that.

BurnleyBob
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by BurnleyBob » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:25 am

Most of the boys who go to academies will never play for the club. However, these academies give promising footballers good coaching and develop fitness, often providing free kit and boots, as well as competitive sport - all for free. Most of these boys when they reach their late teens and are not taken on by these top clubs are well equipped to play football at a level where they will get paid for doing it- either part time or full time.
The phrase 'making it' is misguidedly used to define becoming a top Premier League players but boys who love the game more than the status would be happy playing for Accrington Stanley or Barnet. Academies need to be clearer what they are offering - an apprenticeship not a place in their first team. Lots of good footballers make a living out of football but relatively few make a fortune.
This user liked this post: Penwortham_Claret

BurnleyBob
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by BurnleyBob » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:19 pm

Most of the boys who go to academies will never play for the club. However, these academies give promising footballers good coaching and develop fitness, often providing free kit and boots, as well as competitive sport - all for free. Most of these boys when they reach their late teens and are not taken on by these top clubs are well equipped to play football at a level where they will get paid for doing it- either part time or full time.
The phrase 'making it' is misguidedly used to define becoming a top Premier League players but boys who love the game more than the status would be happy playing for Accrington Stanley or Barnet. Academies need to be clearer what they are offering - an apprenticeship not a place in their first team. Lots of good footballers make a living out of football but relatively few make a fortune.
This user liked this post: JohnMac