Standard of Education in England

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Re: Standard of Education in England

Post by KRBFC » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:35 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:31 pm
Yes these topics do seem to appear often on various quizzes.

UK Monarchs-yep pretty sure abut most of them, but I do watch a lot of historical dramas, documentaries and films.
I'd be pretty confident on most US presidents post 1900, perhaps not so much on many earlier than that.
Shakespeare-not got a scooby, never interested me at school either, probably the weird language put me off.
Bible-again not a subject I care about.
Sport- pretty decent depending on what sports.
UK top 40-well I'd be knowledgeable about it up until around the mid-90's, after that I'd be struggling.

I would have got both the said questions correct, but that's only because I have an interest in history, however if I got a question on say science for instance, I might be struggling.

And has it never occurred to all those posters scoffing that just maybe these contestants were nervous, I've never appeared on telly, but I have attended several recording at BBC Pacific Quay in Glasgow, and believe me it's a damned sight easier answering these seemingly simple questions sat on the couch at home, under the studio lights, and with a live audience, plus generally being against the clock, that's a different kind of pressure.

Blimey! I even have brain freezes attempting some of the quizzes I regularly post on here, so if I was faced with the pressure of actually being in the spotlight of a TV studio who knows whether I'd find it so easy as it seems, probably not TBH.
Anything football is incredibly easy for an expert like myself.

DanH90
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by DanH90 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:41 pm

I am a teacher in a secondary school, and clearly many of you didn’t bother to look at the latest teaching methods in the English education system these days, or you would know that the last 7-8 years have seen a return to more traditional ‘knowledge rich’ approaches to education (which I am an advocate of by the way.)
However, there is not an infinite amount of time to dedicate to education, so teachers have to make difficult decisions about what to include and not include in their curriculum.
I would much rather my students gained an in depth knowledge of the causes of WW1 or the English Reformation than when George Washington was President.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:45 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:35 pm
Anything football is incredibly easy for an expert like myself.
Well yes most posters on here you'd imagine will have a good knowledge of football, but it's often pot luck what questions you get on these shows.

And if a question cropped up about IDK Love Island for sake of an example, I would have little idea, as I don't watch those type of shows.

But that doesn't mean I'm uneducated, at least I'd hope it wouldn't.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:46 pm

Kids don't need to learn about the ancient Romans/Egyptians, teach them about taxes, how to perform emergency cpr, laws, bills, self defence, how to manage finances, how to work a washing machine etc

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:50 pm

DanH90 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:41 pm
I am a teacher in a secondary school, and clearly many of you didn’t bother to look at the latest teaching methods in the English education system these days
Of course they didn't, why would they when they can talk nonsense about a world they are completely out of touch with and then think it is themselves who are the clever ones.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie