Energy supplier advise

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Energy supplier advise

Post by Inchy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:31 am

Wanting some advise from anyone who understands the ball ache that is energy

Ever since moving out of my dads house I feel I have mastered most of the life skills a grown up needs. I’m a dab hand at DIY, I change my home insurance annually, I even call virgin/sky every year and argue out the best deal. However the one thing I’ve been unable to grasp is energy.

Green are my current supplier and they have gone bust. My issue is a few months ago I submitted a couple of incorrect meter reading. I think I got the day/night number the wrong way round. I was then issues with a bill of over 5k, which I spotted so I rang and they put the bill back down. I also submitted a new reading which I thought would fix this issue. I’ve been lax and not checked my account. Turns out to green didn’t sort this issue and left me in debit of £5100, which is clearly incorrect.

I’m not unable to submit a reading via the app, and green have issued a bill for £5100. Now I know this is incorrect, if I submitted a reading it would readjust this to something more sensible. I’ve called green this morning and they have said they will change the bill, and I’ve submitted a reading over the phone. They said they will readjust the balance, however they said they would do this before they went bust, so I’m not hopeful.

The bill on the app still says 5100. Am I best cancelling the direct debit with my bank? My thinking is it’s best for the administrator to fight me for the money rather than me fighting for it back

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Re: Energy supplier advise

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:43 am

First thing I would do is email them with picture evidence. I take pictures of both meters before submitting readings as it keeps proof on my phone and as they're in the cellar makes it easier to submit the right number when I go back up.

I wouldn't hand 5k over to anyone you didn't owe, never mind a company who has gone bust.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:37 am

Definitely cancel the direct debit and then argue the toss but don't let the money go out of your account.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:53 am

Best thing to do is go back to the meter reading on your Green account that was correct and start from there. Whoever takes over will need a Change of Supply reading which will likely be estimated. Once you know who your new supplier is and are able to speak to them and give them the date and reading for the previously correct reading and give them a current reading (and any other correct reading you have inbetween).

The new supplier should then be able to dispute the CoS read and in line with your actual usage and this will mean your final bill with Green energy is adjusted and should be correct.

If the reassignment to a new supplier doesnt act as a normal CoS and the new supplier just inherits all the billing info then you can do the same as above and the new supplier should be able to just back bill you

The real issue you will have is if Green started your account with the wrong reading and it has already been correct as that will be a nightmare and you might struggle to get this resolved
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:59 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:53 am
Best thing to do is go back to the meter reading on your Green account that was correct and start from there. Whoever takes over will need a Change of Supply reading which will likely be estimated. Once you know who your new supplier is and are able to speak to them and give them the date and reading for the previously correct reading and give them a current reading (and any other correct reading you have inbetween).

The new supplier should then be able to dispute the CoS read and in line with your actual usage and this will mean your final bill with Green energy is adjusted and should be correct.

If the reassignment to a new supplier doesnt act as a normal CoS and the new supplier just inherits all the billing info then you can do the same as above and the new supplier should be able to just back bill you

The real issue you will have is if Green started your account with the wrong reading and it has already been correct as that will be a nightmare and you might struggle to get this resolved
Cheers for the advise. Looking back at the start I did have a correct reading, I then submitted my total reading as my day reading which cocked it up. I’ve just submitted a correct reading now and green said they will readjust. I have however cancelled my direct debit as they have said they would sort this before and haven't done.

Essentially I have evidence of my first reading and I have a reading now so I assume whoever my new supplier is they will be able to sort this.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Devils_Advocate

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8428 times
Has Liked: 18097 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:02 am

Hope you get it sorted Inchy ...

We have had problems in the past when changing suppliers with "meter readings" all were sorted in the end but its b****y frustrating.

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:10 am

Bosscat wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:02 am
Hope you get it sorted Inchy ...

We have had problems in the past when changing suppliers with "meter readings" all were sorted in the end but its b****y frustrating.

It’s my own fault for submitted the wrong reading.

Looking back I submitted my first readings and then for some reason green for the two mixed up, but I don’t suppose that was an issue as the total
Is the same

There was also a massive jump up in my usage from my final reading in April and they continued to estimate massive usage. The last reading I submitted on in April because I requested a meter reading man to come an do the next one because of the issues I’d been having but they never sent on after stating they would

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:14 am

Inchy wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:10 am
It’s my own fault for submitted the wrong reading.

Looking back I submitted my first readings and then for some reason green for the two mixed up, but I don’t suppose that was an issue as the total
Is the same

There was also a massive jump up in my usage from my final reading in April and they continued to estimate massive usage. The last reading I submitted on in April because I requested a meter reading man to come an do the next one because of the issues I’d been having but they never sent on after stating they would
We had a bill once for a winter quarter where the supplier had mixed up our day/night readings (economy 7 readings) it was at their end as we had submitted our readings online (and I always keep copies of the emails) ... several phone calls and emails they finally realised their error ... needless to say we moved suppliers after that...

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:37 pm

Just to use as an example this is one of the biggest advantages of Smart meters. A lot of people dont understand how the industry works and fail to take readings and when people then change supply it can be a minefield to sort out.

With Smart Meters there is a full history of daily accurate readings stored and so if for some reason something goes wrong with the billing it is very simple for everyone involved to rectify.

Even if you are the person who does everything correctly and always reads your meter you still get penalised because any cost a supplier incurs trying to resolve other peoples issues is spread across everyone's bills including yours

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:19 pm

I tried getting a smart meter fitted but the engineer was unable to sue to lack of space near my electric box

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:27 pm

Inchy wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:19 pm
I tried getting a smart meter fitted but the engineer was unable to sue to lack of space near my electric box
My post wasn't aimed at you but some of the daft comments that people come out with on here when Smart meters are mentioned. We seem to have a cult of conspiracy theorists these days and people who talk with absolute conviction about things they have no real knowledge of.

Just used your case as an example of a simple way Smart meters can make a difference and reduce energy prices for everyone. Hope you get your issue sorted and with the information you have you should be fine albeit with some painfully long phone calls trying to find someone competent and helpful

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:30 pm

I suggest being very careful cancelling your DD. These companies have a massive impact on your credit score. Work hard at getting a resolution to the bill rather than stopping payment.
Years ago I got my season ticket on 10 months DD with Zebra finance through BFC.
3 weeks after the 10th payment came out I cancelled the DD.
Zebra had not taken all the money needed and were short 16 p.
They put me in default and it took me months to get it removed and my credit score restored.

You may not be able to get it contracted after they go bust.

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:48 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:30 pm
I suggest being very careful cancelling your DD. These companies have a massive impact on your credit score. Work hard at getting a resolution to the bill rather than stopping payment.
Years ago I got my season ticket on 10 months DD with Zebra finance through BFC.
3 weeks after the 10th payment came out I cancelled the DD.
Zebra had not taken all the money needed and were short 16 p.
They put me in default and it took me months to get it removed and my credit score restored.

You may not be able to get it contracted after they go bust.

I’ve cancelled my direct debit because I don’t trust green to readjust the bill. If they take 5.1k out of my account it’s going to be a right ballache getting that back from a company that doesn’t exist.

I’ve submitted new readings an green have said they will readjust my bill within 7 days. If they do that then I can reinstate the DD before the money is due to come out my account on the 13th

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:57 pm

Have Green told you they are going to ask for the £5,100 payment by DD? They are supposed to inform you first before collecting the money.

If a company goes bust they shouldn't be able to claim money by direct debit therefore if you haven't been told by Green that they will take the money they can no longer do that now. It may be worth talking to your bank about this.

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:19 pm

I would have contacted your Bank and tell them to allow Green to take what figure you think it should be and certainly (now more) not the £5,100. I’d follow that up in an email and ask for an acknowledgment.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:29 pm

Obviously these Energy suppliers don't have a system that flags up exceptionally high usage.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:37 pm

Inchy wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:48 pm
I’ve cancelled my direct debit because I don’t trust green to readjust the bill. If they take 5.1k out of my account it’s going to be a right ballache getting that back from a company that doesn’t exist.

I’ve submitted new readings an green have said they will readjust my bill within 7 days. If they do that then I can reinstate the DD before the money is due to come out my account on the 13th
Just suggesting you be careful.
They could cause you lots of pain .
Not being able to pay car insurance monthly or utilities. Plus mortgage etc.

Just trying to be helpful.

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:11 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:37 pm
Just suggesting you be careful.
They could cause you lots of pain .
Not being able to pay car insurance monthly or utilities. Plus mortgage etc.

Just trying to be helpful.

Sorry I didn’t mean for that to sound ungrateful for the advise

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2316 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:27 pm

Lump on banking shares. Big beneficiaries of inflation at the front end of the food chain.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:42 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:27 pm
Lump on banking shares. Big beneficiaries of inflation at the front end of the food chain.
Is "Lump on" a technical term in investment banking 🤔 or is it the Bank of Kuala Lumpur 😉

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:35 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:29 pm
Obviously these Energy suppliers don't have a system that flags up exceptionally high usage.
Tbf, I’m with Octopus and they usually email me if anything is awry. I’ve sometimes just entered a rough reading that’s a bit high and they’ve emailed to query it.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:46 pm

Inchy wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:11 pm
Sorry I didn’t mean for that to sound ungrateful for the advise
It’s cool, until you have had a credit history issue you don’t really understand how hard it is to correct it.

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 324 times

Post by HahaYeah » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:51 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
I've been flagged up straight away when I gave an unusual reading to Octopus.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:52 pm

bfccrazy wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:35 pm
Tbf, I’m with Octopus and they usually email me if anything is awry. I’ve sometimes just entered a rough reading that’s a bit high and they’ve emailed to query it.
That is what I would have hoped for and expected from a competent Energy supplier (I am also with Octopus so good to know).

Either for them to contact me or the police on suspicion that i had installed a cannabis farm. :lol:

Just to accept a ridiculously high reading without query seems a bit lax tbh.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:31 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
They do that’s 1 of the reasons why cannabis farms get raided the energy companies are obligated to highlight suspicious high usage. Never saw post above.

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:05 pm

A big one Bulb with 1.8 million customers goes into administration:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59373198