Simon and Garfunkel in Central Park

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Simon and Garfunkel in Central Park

Post by houseboy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:13 am

Just watching this now on BBC2. I’m almost in tears. Absolutely amazing. Mourning my lost youth. How faking good were they?
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Re: Simon and Garfunkel in Central Park

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:28 am

When differences started to show.

https://youtu.be/5biEjyXNa2o
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:31 am

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:39 am

When Simon & Garfunkel were in high school there called themselves Tom & Jerry & when Art Garfunkel started a film career with Mike Nichols, Paul Simon wrote that song get your plane right on time fly down to Mexico you’ll be alright.

Guitargeorge
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by Guitargeorge » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:49 am

Saw them in Manchester in 2005. Guests were the Everly Brothers. An experience that will be with me forever

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:36 am

Really interesting program, what talent.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:01 am

I only found out last night that they were close to broadcaster/writer Darcus Howe. Even wrote a song about him. 'Hello Darcus, my old friend'.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4832 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:03 am

Seen this many times. Love the intro to Mrs Robinson. They were ace. Think The Boxer is my favourite.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:12 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:39 am
When Simon & Garfunkel were in high school there called themselves Tom & Jerry & when Art Garfunkel started a film career with Mike Nichols, Paul Simon wrote that song get your plane right on time fly down to Mexico you’ll be alright.
‘The Only Living Boy in New York’. Beautiful song and the production on the multi layered backing vocals is pure genius.

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:18 am

Saw Paul Simon on one of his last appearances in the UK at the MEN Arena in 2018. What a wonderful experience. Absolutely electriic atmosphere, in fact, the best event I have ever attended.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4832 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:22 am

When I was very young, I turned down a ticket to go and see Paul Simon and Ladysmith Black Mambazo on their Graceland tour (GMex). One of my biggest regrets. It is an iconic piece of music.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:51 am

Agree, fabulous programme....brought back so many memories

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7557 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:51 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:28 am
When differences started to show.

https://youtu.be/5biEjyXNa2o
Brilliant.
Not heard that one in a long time. 8-)

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:56 am

The story behind the concert is pretty interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conce ... ntral_Park

"The duo were disappointed with their performance, particularly Garfunkel, who felt that he sang poorly. Simon said that he did not immediately realize the magnitude of the event: "I didn't get what had happened – how big it was – until I went home, turned on the television and saw it on all the news ... and later that night on the front pages of all the newspapers. Then I got it.""

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:39 am

Amazing talent. The words to their songs are brilliant and so much better than most of todays repetetive rubbish. Kathy's Song has to be my favourite but I'm amazed that Paul Simon started writing Homeward Bound whilst sat at Widnes train station in 1965 while waiting for a train to London and when you listen to it, you can understand the song and it's meaning.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:26 pm

Great documentary. I watched The Graduate at the age of 10 and was completely hooked. Simon and Garfunkel are one of about six CD’s that I have multiple copies of… car, office, dining room all have their copy so it is always at arms length.

America I think is my personal favourite.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:24 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:26 pm
Great documentary. I watched The Graduate at the age of 10 and was completely hooked. Simon and Garfunkel are one of about six CD’s that I have multiple copies of… car, office, dining room all have their copy so it is always at arms length.

America I think is my personal favourite.
I watched about half hour last night of The Harmony Game - documentary of the making of Bridge Over Troubled Water. BBC2 - available on iPlayer. I've got to catch up on the first part which I missed.

I'd not seen this before. Based on programme notes, below, I think it was made around 2010.

"At the end of a decade when the world was in crisis and inspiration needed resurrecting, an influential duo released a masterpiece of popular music, Bridge Over Troubled Water. Through darkness and light, the album takes its listeners on an emotional ride that echoes its era, and has proved to be a work that continues to inspire an audience the world over. Its symphonic hymn of a title track became an anthem for a generation.

This film tells the story behind what is widely considered Simon and Garfunkel's greatest work. The influential duo's last studio album has its legacy shrouded in rock'n'roll mythology, complete with legendary tales of inspiration, innovation and separation. Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel and their collaborators share the journey in their own words and reflect back on its impact 40 years later, using never-before-seen film, photos and memorabilia."

Of course, I also watched the Central Park Concert, as I have done a number of times.

I've got lots of Paul Simon and S&G music on my iPod. Paul Simon on "shuffle" was always a great way to get through an intercontinental flight. Now it's also an easy way to play in the car (or hire car) or anywhere else I am.

Still got a few LPs and everything I have on the iPod I also have the CD.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:41 pm

Hendrickxz wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:18 am
Saw Paul Simon on one of his last appearances in the UK at the MEN Arena in 2018. What a wonderful experience. Absolutely electriic atmosphere, in fact, the best event I have ever attended.
I was at the last night of his Homeward Bound Tour, Summertime in Hyde Park. Brilliant. I agree, right up there with my favourites, and I got the t-shirt.

I've been lucky to see Paul Simon a few times, Wembley Arena, Camden Roundhouse - very kindly given free tickets by a fellow Claret who knew I'd enjoy it, Bournemouth and Hyde Park.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:18 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:24 pm
I watched about half hour last night of The Harmony Game - documentary of the making of Bridge Over Troubled Water. BBC2 - available on iPlayer. I've got to catch up on the first part which I missed.

I'd not seen this before. Based on programme notes, below, I think it was made around 2010.

"At the end of a decade when the world was in crisis and inspiration needed resurrecting, an influential duo released a masterpiece of popular music, Bridge Over Troubled Water. Through darkness and light, the album takes its listeners on an emotional ride that echoes its era, and has proved to be a work that continues to inspire an audience the world over. Its symphonic hymn of a title track became an anthem for a generation.

This film tells the story behind what is widely considered Simon and Garfunkel's greatest work. The influential duo's last studio album has its legacy shrouded in rock'n'roll mythology, complete with legendary tales of inspiration, innovation and separation. Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel and their collaborators share the journey in their own words and reflect back on its impact 40 years later, using never-before-seen film, photos and memorabilia."

Of course, I also watched the Central Park Concert, as I have done a number of times.

I've got lots of Paul Simon and S&G music on my iPod. Paul Simon on "shuffle" was always a great way to get through an intercontinental flight. Now it's also an easy way to play in the car (or hire car) or anywhere else I am.

Still got a few LPs and everything I have on the iPod I also have the CD.
I've always found harmony singing something special - good harmony singing that is. Two part harmony, as with S&G, but multi part too, such as The Beach Boys, early Eagles. Sometimes two or more voices work together so well, and that was the case with S&G. Garfunkel had the sweeter individual voice. Simon's was OK but nothing special. But the two together..... Give them the right song. Unfortunately I only like about four of S&G's songs and Bridge... isn't one of them. I find that way too schmaltzy!

Some singers can harmonise to their own voice on recordings and that can be great too with the right voice.

claret wizard
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:34 pm

I saw Paul Simon in Dortmund on the second Graceland Tour back in the summer of 1989. A long time ago and he was fantastic. Wasn't really a massive fan then, but I was over in Germany and the girlfriend pursuaded me to go. Glad she did.

whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by whentheballmoves » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:11 pm

I used to have the double album, which I bought whilst studying in Lausanne. Managed to get it home to the UK in one piece. Hope I still have it somewhere!!! Watched a bit last night.

Guitargeorge

Post by Guitargeorge » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:31 pm

Paul Simon came to Accrington Folk Club held under the stand at Peel Park. At the time we were in to English folkies singing about poaching, coal mining etc and when this guy from America turned up singing Dylanesque protest songs, we didn’t appreciate him one bit. It was during his time bumming around Britain ( rumour had it that he lodged in Accrington for a while) He famously wrote Homeward Bound on Widnes railway station. We were also told during a holiday, many years back,that a local bridge inspired him to write Bridge Over Troubled Water. I suppose there are many urban myths about what he wrote and where, but one thing I know, we were there at Accrington the night Paul Simon played on the stage under Peel Park stand.
These 2 users liked this post: Paul Waine Stalbansclaret

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:23 pm

Guitargeorge wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:31 pm
Paul Simon came to Accrington Folk Club held under the stand at Peel Park. At the time we were in to English folkies singing about poaching, coal mining etc and when this guy from America turned up singing Dylanesque protest songs, we didn’t appreciate him one bit. It was during his time bumming around Britain ( rumour had it that he lodged in Accrington for a while) He famously wrote Homeward Bound on Widnes railway station. We were also told during a holiday, many years back,that a local bridge inspired him to write Bridge Over Troubled Water. I suppose there are many urban myths about what he wrote and where, but one thing I know, we were there at Accrington the night Paul Simon played on the stage under Peel Park stand.
I'd heard Paul Simon performed in Accrington. I'd always thought it would be the Bold Street WMC, but that's only because that was where a lot of folk singers went. I was a little bit too young to be at Accrington Folk Club at Peel Park, or at Bold Street until a few years later. Did the Jazz club take over the same premises as the Folk Club? I remember the Jazz Club was in a single storey building on the Burnley Road side of Peel Park, rather than being "under" the stand.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:34 pm

Sproggy wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:56 am
The story behind the concert is pretty interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conce ... ntral_Park

"The duo were disappointed with their performance, particularly Garfunkel, who felt that he sang poorly. Simon said that he did not immediately realize the magnitude of the event: "I didn't get what had happened – how big it was – until I went home, turned on the television and saw it on all the news ... and later that night on the front pages of all the newspapers. Then I got it.""
Therein lies the difference between the two of them. Both hugely talented but one with a soul.

Foreverly Claret
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by Foreverly Claret » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:48 pm

I really enjoyed that programme .If you go back to the late 50s they performed as Tom & Jerry and had a minor hit with their song " Hey School Girl "..there's an album on the Allegro label which is a bit hard to find...issued in 1967 which consists of all their T & J recordings..it has a really nice sleeve...but the best thing about the album is that it really shows what a class accoustic rhythm lead guitar player Paul Simon was..and that came across in the Central Park show.

Guitargeorge

Post by Guitargeorge » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:34 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:23 pm
The jazz club was held on Sunday nights, the folk club on Wednesday, both in the same building. You are right about the single storey building. It was near but maybe not under the stand. It was a place where you went to the bar and got yourself a few drinks at a time as you couldn’t get back there when it got full
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 770 times
Has Liked: 10055 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:59 pm

houseboy wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:13 am
Just watching this now on BBC2. I’m almost in tears. Absolutely amazing. Mourning my lost youth. How faking good were they?
Thanks for the heads up Ian, I'm watching it now on catch up.
Some fantastic songs and boy could these two sing.
Superb!

Some damn talented musicians backing them too.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:09 pm

I actually have the Central Park concert on my phone and play it in the car a lot but actually watching it again after all these years (still crazy?) brought memories of youth and freedom and happiness (and sadness) flooding back. The old and rather hackneyed phrase ‘soundtrack to our lives’ is often over used but in the case of S&G I think it may be justifiable. Do I like other acts better? Yes. But there is something rather special about those two that sort of captured the mood of a period. Simon is one of the best songwriters to ever walk this earth and that golden voice of Garfunkel’s together with the harmonies and terrific production values made them just about perfect for the time. Sadly I do not think we will ever see their like again.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32402 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:13 am

Guitargeorge wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:49 am
Saw them in Manchester in 2005. Guests were the Everly Brothers. An experience that will be with me forever
We were in Munich on our way to the pre-season in Salzburg and they'd been at the Olympic Stadium on the previous night although they were billed as Simon und Garfunkel.

Going back to the 60s, the Bookends album was one of those albums that everyone seemed to own. I saw the Central Park concert some years ago, I'll see if I can get it from catch up. They were brilliant.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5072 times
Has Liked: 6846 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:21 am

Easily the best duo ever. There singing and music just magical.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:54 pm

FB_IMG_1634770366066.jpg
FB_IMG_1634770366066.jpg (38.67 KiB) Viewed 3080 times
:lol:

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:42 am

https://youtu.be/ZrmQQbZWvNE

Came across this 1 I hadn’t heard for awhile.