Cornet

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Re: Cornet

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:58 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:53 pm
Fair comment. But yesterday he only really came to life once the game was won. Against better teams we will need more from him than he actually gave us yesterday whilst the game is in the balance.

He will in time and he's already without question one of the first names in the team sheet. I suppose I'm trying to observe why Dyche may take him off on occasions and wants him to work on his defending. And also because actually I think McNeil, Lowton tarks and Wood - and in that first half hour even the under appreciated JBG - were the greater influence in getting into that winning position.
Can’t agree with that. He was a constant threat in the first half. Once the game was won he became a passenger.

Agree with your point about him not looking at ease in that position playing off the striker though. But we’re going to need his goals to get us out of trouble this season, so we need to play him as advanced as possible to take full advantage of his threat.

taio
Been Liked: 3249 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:01 pm

If he can score say ten goals this season which is a possibility and Wood can get double figures once again that would be an excellent return.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3878 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:22 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:53 pm
Fair comment. But yesterday he only really came to life once the game was won. Against better teams we will need more from him than he actually gave us yesterday whilst the game is in the balance.

He will in time and he's already without question one of the first names in the team sheet. I suppose I'm trying to observe why Dyche may take him off on occasions and wants him to work on his defending. And also because actually I think McNeil, Lowton tarks and Wood - and in that first half hour even the under appreciated JBG - were the greater influence in getting into that winning position.
I think what you mean is, he is far more effective when we have decent possession and other players play their part.

What impresses me the most is he always creates space for himself. Be it coming off his man or making the right run.

He's got it all apart from the desire or capabilities to chase back all the time. But he's come from a possession based side in a slower league.

Sides will double up on him now like they did with McNeil, but it will give more space for Dwight and Chris Wood.

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:23 pm

As we know strikers work in pairs and Cornet and Wood are still getting to know each other. Cornet was used yesterday as an out and out striker and his speed and anticipation was used to compliment Wood's ability as a target man.
At Southampton Dwight was played on the right to accommodate Maxwell on the left, both as wingers with defensive duties. It didn't work and yesterday JG was included to provide balance and to release McNeill to his more favoured position.

I think that its possible that at Chelsea the manager may spring a surprise and upset a few on here by playing a starting line-up that looks to contain Chelsea. This will mean playing 5 across midfield and moving Cornet to the bench and introducing him as a second half impact player (if we are still in the game).

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:30 pm

IWOODLOVETT wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:23 pm
As we know strikers work in pairs and Cornet and Wood are still getting to know each other. Cornet was used yesterday as an out and out striker and his speed and anticipation was used to compliment Wood's ability as a target man.
At Southampton Dwight was played on the right to accommodate Maxwell on the left, both as wingers with defensive duties. It didn't work and yesterday JG was included to provide balance and to release McNeill to his more favoured position.

I think that its possible that at Chelsea the manager may spring a surprise and upset a few on here by playing a starting line-up that looks to contain Chelsea. This will mean playing 5 across midfield and moving Cornet to the bench and introducing him as a second half impact player (if we are still in the game).
I doubt he’d do that. Cornet has the quality and pace to score in any game so it’s worth him starting.

I thought he was impressive as a second striker yesterday and some of the link up with wood McNeil and JBG was outstanding. Notably the gudmundsson chance which went across to wood was a fantastic move.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:32 pm

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:30 pm
I doubt he’d do that. Cornet has the quality and pace to score in any game so it’s worth him starting.

I thought he was impressive as a second striker yesterday and some of the link up with wood McNeil and JBG was outstanding. Notably the gudmundsson chance which went across to wood was a fantastic move.
Agree with this. Really clever movement and one touch passing in that move from him.

Yes he needs to settle into that role, he’s not played there for 3 seasons I believe, plus getting up to the full pace of the Prem and on top of that our particularly style. 4 in 4 starts is not bad going considering all of that.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2835 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:20 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:22 pm
I think what you mean is, he is far more effective when we have decent possession and other players play their part.

What impresses me the most is he always creates space for himself. Be it coming off his man or making the right run.

He's got it all apart from the desire or capabilities to chase back all the time. But he's come from a possession based side in a slower league.

Sides will double up on him now like they did with McNeil, but it will give more space for Dwight and Chris Wood.
No that's not what I mean. Others (particularly thpse i mentiomed were doing better in that period of the first half, but the ball was bouncing off cornet and he wasn't linking with others to make the most of that build up. We did have decent possession and others were playing their part.

I agree with every thing you say about his abilities and what that offers us. But what I'm saying is that it's important in praising him not to overstate his impact and under price others contributions as a result. I'd argue you've sort of made my point I think.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:28 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:20 pm
No that's not what I mean. Others (particularly thpse i mentiomed were doing better in that period of the first half, but the ball was bouncing off cornet and he wasn't linking with others to make the most of that build up. We did have decent possession and others were playing their part.

I agree with every thing you say about his abilities and what that offers us. But what I'm saying is that it's important in praising him not to overstate his impact and under price others contributions as a result. I'd argue you've sort of made my point I think.
Kept bouncing off him? I can recall once, no more than twice that he lost possession.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 2757 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:27 am

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:36 pm
Indeed we need to find his best position. Great talent to have though. I thought he actually tracked back quite a lot but often got into a slightly wrong position too narrow. It may take time for him to be fully ready to play winger in a 442 so in the mean time I’d imagine we’ll play 451 or play him up front. 451 with brownhill actually in midfield and then able to move out wide when cornet makes his runs. It’s difficult because his runs in behind are so dangerous as dyche has said himself so you don’t want him to stop that but you need a bit more defensive stability.
I just wonder if Sean Dyche was actually involved in bringing Maxwel to Burnley. I think maybe not. But whoever it was seems to have brought us a very talented player. He can do things none of the others can and makes some of our players look very average. He rarley wastes a pass and has good control. If the club could add similar talents in midfield and on the right wing, then with him and McNeil we will be looking at a different type of football to what we have seen recently. More entertaining and more skilfull.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:57 am

There is absolutely no chance that this guy will start on the bench at Chelsea. It may be a different system with more bodies in midfield but the guy looks to be an absolute class above everyone in our team. He will definitely be our best chance of a goal against that stingy defence as he can find the limited spaces.

To come from a league like the French league and score 4 in 4 and look like he has played here for years in a team like ours takes a special talent. As others have mentioned his movement is what sets him apart, he has appeared in space with no defenders in sight a number of times in pretty much every game. This takes instinct and a great football brain alongside genuine pace.

I understand the not getting ahead of ourselves comments but I think we just have to enjoy this player whilst we have him. I suspect he may be only here a short while because he looks to be good enough for a top team in the league.
This user liked this post: Stayingup

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:33 am

It all depends on whether there is a release clause in his contract.

One thing that we are able to do is rebuff offers for our players, Pace will know the impact if he's sold, providing he carries on contributing like he has, as he's providing the X factor for our club in getting the supporters excited.

Let's hope if the clause exists it's a sizeable fee.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 307 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:42 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:57 am
There is absolutely no chance that this guy will start on the bench at Chelsea. It may be a different system with more bodies in midfield but the guy looks to be an absolute class above everyone in our team. He will definitely be our best chance of a goal against that stingy defence as he can find the limited spaces.
Please, not a guy. We know what happens to guys this month.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10261 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:59 pm

Oh, for Fawkes' sake... Cornet will be our best chance of nicking a goal or two at Chelsea, he'll not be on the bench.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:16 pm

We've signed Cornet, Roberts and Collins to be first team players and to (hopefully!) be sold at profit to finance more signings to improve the squad

I think its better for people to accept that now tbh

I hope Maxwell has an absolutely superb season but I'll also expect us to cash in on him if he does, in a way we didn't with Tarkowski

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1189 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:19 pm

We shouldn't even thinking about selling FFS he's only been here 2 mins, palace have always keep hold of zaha, Southampton ward prowse, Norwich pukki, Brentford toney, let's think about keeping him just an idea

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:01 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:19 pm
We shouldn't even thinking about selling FFS he's only been here 2 mins, palace have always keep hold of zaha, Southampton ward prowse, Norwich pukki, Brentford toney, let's think about keeping him just an idea
If he carries on like this he’s only comparable to zaha on that list. Toney got promoted last year so would always stay this year and pukki is not good enough to be in demand of top teams.

The truth is if players outgrow us (and that realistically means a value of more than £30 or £40 million, where you can sell to buy for the future) then we should sell if we can replace them. Maxwel has the potential to do this. That’s the thing with buying the more “risk” players as dyche said, they can treble in value in a season if they do well.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1189 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:11 pm

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:01 pm
If he carries on like this he’s only comparable to zaha on that list. Toney got promoted last year so would always stay this year and pukki is not good enough to be in demand of top teams.

The truth is if players outgrow us (and that realistically means a value of more than £30 or £40 million, where you can sell to buy for the future) then we should sell if we can replace them. Maxwel has the potential to do this. That’s the thing with buying the more “risk” players as dyche said, they can treble in value in a season if they do well.
Ward prowse is a capped international with a market value of roughly £30m, both palace & Southampton could have sold zaha & JWP plenty of times over, if MC becomes instrumental to our league retention I don’t see the sense in selling him & jeopardising that.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:50 pm

I just had a look at Cornet’s stats on Saturday and between the 10th and 20th minute he didn’t touch the ball apart from his disallowed goal, but that was a little lull in the game and after that Toney chance we woke up and Cornet got far more involved. A bit harsh that some are criticising him in this period.

I don’t think he is a natural up there, but he is dangerous and loves playing on that last man. He’ll be in demand but he’ll be improving for a year or two, so hopefully any sale is a couple of years away. No doubts though that if we are to buy two or three players like that each year we will need one or two big sales to finance them, we need to mentally prepare ourselves for more turnover of the squad than we had gotten used to.

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 585 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:17 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:48 pm
He’s brought the whole club alive !
This is what has made the most difference. Very different fee about the place since he came in.