Has Sky been a good or bad thing for British football

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Has Sky been a good or bad thing for British football

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:18 pm

Personally it's a matter of divided opinion
The number of games is imo excessive
Monday nightgames are an unnecessary fixture with often impossible travelling distances for fans.
Too many European games are shown possibly impacting on EFL games
Money for us is nice but are Sky killing our game as they pursue more and more Premier league matches?

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Re: Has Sky been a good or bad thing for British football

Post by ClaretDiver » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:22 pm

Or is the PL being too greedy by including more and more games in the packages that they see to broadcasters?

Remember it is the PL who put the packages out to tender....now you have BT Sport, Amazon Prime etc....

timshorts
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:41 pm

On the whole, a good thing.

Plus I don't want to give any of my money to bt.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:42 pm

ClaretDiver wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:22 pm
Or is the PL being too greedy by including more and more games in the packages that they see to broadcasters?

Remember it is the PL who put the packages out to tender....now you have BT Sport, Amazon Prime etc....
And the PL is it’s 20 clubs and there is your answer.
This user liked this post: ClaretDiver

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:47 pm

On balance a good thing particularly for folks living some distance from TM who can’t get to many games. It is however difficult to even turn on the TV to watch matches between Crystal Palace, Brentford, Norwich, Southampton etc. Saturation effect I guess but overall the Sky subscription is good value and puts money into the game.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:52 pm

Oversaturation and not only live TV coverage from the likes of Sky/BT etc. All the football info and gossip you need is there at the click of a button. You can have too much of a good thing.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:30 pm

It led to the creation of the Premier League and the continuance of the 'rich get richer' mentality that had already existed since the ending of the maximum wage and particularly the idea that home clubs keep all the gate money. Before that there seemed to be a more egalitarian attitude.

However the deals have put a lot of money in the game some of which has gone into research on subjects such as pitch maintenance, training and nutrition. This has also reached down to the lower leagues so that they now have a pretty high standard of pitches and training regimes leading to higher skill and fitness levels. From what I've seen of the refs (at Step 3 - Level 7 in the old Pyramid structure), they are also pretty good.

Look for example at the facilities we now have at Barnfield.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:38 pm

More family oriented, less of the old attitudes that were prevalent pre-sky amongst fans.

Easier to watch lots of games if that's your thing, same with multiple options to listen to, or watch, various shows all about football.

It's enabled us to see some fantastic players, football and managers since Sky started throwing money at PL football.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:31 pm

It's certainly been good for the players and agents.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:58 pm

Personally think the money in the game has ruined it. Footballers with huge egos and fans have no real affiliation with them. Too much diving and cheating too. Too much coverage but that benefits armchair ‘fans’. Whilst the pitches are better ( and arguably grounds but not for atmosphere) I’d prefer to be watching Burnley in the old First Division. It’s lost something and it’s appeal a bit for me.
These 4 users liked this post: claretgimmer houseboy Vegas Claret claretfern

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:09 pm

I agree with both GodisaDeeJay and Boss. There are advantages and disadvantages.

You do have to wonder where the game will be in, say, five years' time.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:24 am

Put simply it’s been the worst thing that ever happened to football.
1. Too much money going to too few.
2. Too much football on TV (far too much).
3. Ridiculous kick off times (who the hell wants to travel away to London on a Monday night?).
4. Propaganda about ‘the best league in the world’ (it isn’t).
5. Too much emphasis on ‘the big six’.
6. Slowly destroying grass roots football and smaller clubs.
I personally wish that the PL and Sky had died a death at the moment of its conception. I actually know a number of fans who have gone to watch smaller clubs now because they are so p!ssed off with the whole circus. I stick with Burnley because I have a 60 year plus love of the club but I am losing faith in the whole corrupt system.
These 3 users liked this post: Rumbletonk Roosterbooster claretfern

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:42 am

houseboy wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:24 am
3. Ridiculous kick off times (who the hell wants to travel away to London on a Monday night?).
I personally wish that the PL and Sky had died a death at the moment of its conception. I actually know a number of fans who have gone to watch smaller clubs now because they are so p!ssed off with the whole circus. I stick with Burnley because I have a 60 year plus love of the club but I am losing faith in the whole corrupt system.
I also hoped the Premier League would crash and burn from day one, it is not a double standard to be proud that we remain in it fighting against the odds though. I loved the excitement of pre-Premiership football, but that is like saying I loved having to wait for match of the day and top of the pops. Jimmy Hill meanwhile looks down thinking… never meant for that to happen.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:43 am

houseboy wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:24 am
1. Burnley have benefited from the money, we get the same TV income as Man United.
2. I've never heard a football fan complain about too much football
3. Fair point but cup games are played weeknights and Spurs away in the League Cup on a Wednesday night was the greatest game bar Wembley.
4. The PL had 3 of the 4 finalists in European competition last year, and 4/4 in 2019, it absolutely without a doubt is the best, strongest league in the league, it's not even debatable.
5. I agree about too much emphasis on the big 6, just Sky giving majority viewers what they want.
6. The money filtering down is destroying grassroots and smaller clubs, how? I think financial mismanagement is doing that.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:09 am

posted this the other day, gonna post it again
Attachments
245225452_1005751326637286_8013550795678636572_n.jpg
245225452_1005751326637286_8013550795678636572_n.jpg (116.72 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:11 am

No.

Football did not start in '92

As a "sport" it is nearly dead.
It's just about money.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:35 am

When it was just Sky, it was just about right. Then other tv companies complained about a closed shop, a monopoly. The European Commission got involved and said it need completion. Selling it that it would be better for fans. But then instead of one subscription, it was two. Then of course, however many now. All costing more and more.

Sky was good for football. But then everyone else wanted their cut and away we went. Money money money.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:40 am

The slow motion replay on tackles and handballs and freeze-framing offside decisions spoilt football.

We wouldn’t have Var if offsides had been replayed on televisions in real-time. Now they have to check and kill the game to check if a toe was off is odd, in the end, would it have mattered?
This user liked this post: RammyClaret61

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:18 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:09 am
posted this the other day, gonna post it again
Trouble is, you can’t play top flight football now without tv. Even the laws of the game are being rewritten to compensate for tv cameras.

Just had this thought. If there was a technical problem with the Television equipment at a premier league ground. Would the game be postponed?

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:17 am

Bring in a roster system and wage cap.

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:06 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:18 pm
Personally it's a matter of divided opinion
The number of games is imo excessive
Monday nightgames are an unnecessary fixture with often impossible travelling distances for fans.
Too many European games are shown possibly impacting on EFL games
Money for us is nice but are Sky killing our game as they pursue more and more Premier league matches?
If people have the vulnerable in mind as a priory in their thinking then the question doesn't need posing as the answer is obvious.

To fully understand the sentence above it would help if the people reading it were around before Murdoch (the individual responsible for Sky's activities) had started Sky.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:23 am

Completely depends on who you ask. Most posters on here will be of a certain age where they watched football before Sky Sports/Premier League era.

Ask a bunch of school/college/university students what they think and the answers will be far different.

It is what it is, things change.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:40 pm

RammyClaret61 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:18 am
Trouble is, you can’t play top flight football now without tv. Even the laws of the game are being rewritten to compensate for tv cameras.

Just had this thought. If there was a technical problem with the Television equipment at a premier league ground. Would the game be postponed?
there's a worthwhile experiment !!!!

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 247 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:27 pm

Sky has brought football into peoples homes and public places in a big way, not highlights but whole games not just on Saturdays but whole weekends. That’s a good thing for me.
We pay a price, for many like me it is too much.
Successful teams do benefit from Sky but football also gets its revenue from other sources as well.
If as a club you are in the Premiership and stay up you can buy better players.
So I would say that Sky is not a bad thing for British football.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:36 pm

Sky have ruined football....and created numerous know-alls from Andy Gray to Jamie Carragher........and I really miss a good old Grahame Souness waist high tackle.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:26 pm

Sky has ruined football

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:14 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:43 am
1. Burnley have benefited from the money, we get the same TV income as Man United.
2. I've never heard a football fan complain about too much football
3. Fair point but cup games are played weeknights and Spurs away in the League Cup on a Wednesday night was the greatest game bar Wembley.
4. The PL had 3 of the 4 finalists in European competition last year, and 4/4 in 2019, it absolutely without a doubt is the best, strongest league in the league, it's not even debatable.
5. I agree about too much emphasis on the big 6, just Sky giving majority viewers what they want.
6. The money filtering down is destroying grassroots and smaller clubs, how? I think financial mismanagement is doing that.
1. I really don’t care how much money we get from it. In what way have the fans benefitted? Ground improvements? Spending on players to see better football? We have a great training ground but that cost a fraction of what we allegedly earn from the PL.
2. If you have never heard a football fan complain about too much on TV you don’t read this site much (or even this thread).
3. We seem to pretty much agree.
4. We’ve had two decent years in Europe to be fair but we hardly dominate normally and it isn’t just about Europe. Football in other countries is just as exciting or even more so, you just have to see beyond the hype. Don’t forget the money allows massive promotion.
5. Again we agree but maybe Sky force feed people the big six. Do most fans really want to watch constant games between 6 clubs.
6. There was (and maybe still is) a great article on BBC Sport about Dover Athletic. A very well run club financially who are on the brink after making excellent financial decisions then being punished by the football authorities for doing so. Give it a go. The PL wealth is not filtering down like it should. Ask Bury fans. Ask the fans of any smaller club whose attendances are being hit by too much live PL football. Ask the lower league clubs who cannot afford players because football inflation is filtering down, not wealth.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:37 pm

houseboy wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:14 pm
1. I really don’t care how much money we get from it. In what way have the fans benefitted? Ground improvements? Spending on players to see better football? We have a great training ground but that cost a fraction of what we allegedly earn from the PL.
2. If you have never heard a football fan complain about too much on TV you don’t read this site much (or even this thread).
3. We seem to pretty much agree.
4. We’ve had two decent years in Europe to be fair but we hardly dominate normally and it isn’t just about Europe. Football in other countries is just as exciting or even more so, you just have to see beyond the hype. Don’t forget the money allows massive promotion.
5. Again we agree but maybe Sky force feed people the big six. Do most fans really want to watch constant games between 6 clubs.
6. There was (and maybe still is) a great article on BBC Sport about Dover Athletic. A very well run club financially who are on the brink after making excellent financial decisions then being punished by the football authorities for doing so. Give it a go. The PL wealth is not filtering down like it should. Ask Bury fans. Ask the fans of any smaller club whose attendances are being hit by too much live PL football. Ask the lower league clubs who cannot afford players because football inflation is filtering down, not wealth.
We are pretty much in agreement on every point, the PL is undoubtedly the best league in the world in terms of quality, it's not the most entertaining though.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:16 am

It has been an interesting debate posting this has produced some çonsidered responses

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:42 am

Simple for me. Bad thing

Yes there's the strong argument about oversaturation and silly kick off times. Fully agree.
Yes there's the strong argument about younger fans being force fed the big 6 and ignoring their local club. Fully agree.

But for me the big thing is the obsession with chasing the money, not the glory

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:38 am

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:37 pm
We are pretty much in agreement on every point, the PL is undoubtedly the best league in the world in terms of quality, it's not the most entertaining though.
Agreed. You know if there were two games on TV and the choice was, say, Utd v Liverpool or Forest Green v Barrow I would choose the latter. Put simply I am bored to death by the big six.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:39 am

Roosterbooster wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:42 am
Simple for me. Bad thing

Yes there's the strong argument about oversaturation and silly kick off times. Fully agree.
Yes there's the strong argument about younger fans being force fed the big 6 and ignoring their local club. Fully agree.

But for me the big thing is the obsession with chasing the money, not the glory
Agree with this.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:35 am

I think Sky re-energised a game that was dying on it's feet. There had been too much tragedy and people were drifting away.

The money generated has been miss-managed by many Clubs, hardly the fault of the Broadcaster.

It has added millions of fans to various Clubs and even if the never travel to see their heroes, they will purchase merchandise.

The reality for me is the modern dream is to get into the Premier League. The desire to win a Trophy has to come from within and unfortunately we support a Club with little desire, again hardly the fault of the Broadcaster.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:53 am

As a branding exercise, it's been an outstanding success - I know loads of Top 6 fans who have never attended a game and have no wish to.

It's provided employment for halfwits who wouldn't get a job in normal life.

From a football perspective, it's been a disaster.

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:17 am

I’d say, Jimmy Hills success in removing the salary cap, all seater stadiums, the ability of fans to be able to travel further to watch the bigger teams and the impact of other available entertainment or sport have all had a huge impact on football. Non of that is the fault of Sky. What is, is the easy availability of televised footy, the huge sums of money that have distorted competition, the silly rule changes and VAR to accommodate TV and the stupid fixture and kick off times to suit a global audience. Once I might have added the effect the greater financial resources of clubs to buy foreign players had on home grown talent but that seems to have turned around a little of late. I think Sky has accelerated changes to an already changing game.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:18 am

JohnMac wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:35 am
I think Sky re-energised a game that was dying on it's feet. There had been too much tragedy and people were drifting away.

The money generated has been miss-managed by many Clubs, hardly the fault of the Broadcaster.

It has added millions of fans to various Clubs and even if the never travel to see their heroes, they will purchase merchandise.

The reality for me is the modern dream is to get into the Premier League. The desire to win a Trophy has to come from within and unfortunately we support a Club with little desire, again hardly the fault of the Broadcaster.
I don't blame Sky for it. They had an opportunity to tap into a market and took it. What I do blame is that since this happened, the Premier League, the FA, clubs and even fans have allowed it to spiral out of control. If it hadn't been Sky, it would have been someone else. Its getting very close to a point where I believe too many proper fans of proper clubs will have completely fallen out of love with the game we love, and any dream of success will have completely disappeared for all but about 10 clubs. A perennial PL survival battle is hardly gonna get my young kids excited. It's such a shame
This user liked this post: JohnMac