Battling point but the bottom 3 looking vulnerable

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Battling point but the bottom 3 looking vulnerable

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:11 pm

Considering Newcastle who are one of the current bottom 3 will probably go for broke come January (as they can afford to) we have to look at 2 teams above us to drag into the battle come after xmas period. The surprise is Brentford 8 clear of us with a game in hand and Watford after today 6 clear - they will come back but back far enough - not sure. This is the 2nd season in a row our start has been particularly weak and considering we are always considered possible relegation fodder in this league we cannot afford these starts. Two wins back to back can change things though and pretty quickly and hopefully that comes quickly and just gives us some breathing space we dont want every game to seem a pressure 6 pointer. Great point today as mid week Southampton were very good.
These 2 users liked this post: MT03ALG elwaclaret

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Re: Battling point but the bottom 3 looking vulnerable

Post by warksclaret » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:13 pm

Battling point but we never looked like getting the 3 points. In the past we would have secured all 3 points, but so many areas of our play when we have gone backwards with the lack of investment.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:17 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:13 pm
but so many areas of our play when we have gone backwards with the lack of investment.
Apart from Palace who else has been spending money that means they have improved their squad from last season in the bottom half of the table?

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:21 pm

We don’t look capable of winning many games
These 2 users liked this post: cockneyclaret MT03ALG

Shaggy
Been Liked: 389 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Shaggy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:24 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:17 pm
Apart from Palace who else has been spending money that means they have improved their squad from last season in the bottom half of the table?
It’s not just last season for us though we haven’t really improved the squad for several seasons which is hurting us as we have an old squad as it is.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:28 pm

I know we’re all guilty of looking at other teams, but history will tell you that 38 points generally keeps you in the division. Some seasons it’s considerably less, this season this may not be the case. But I’m much more concerned about how we’re going to get these 38 points than which other teams will be scrapping around at the bottom.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3844 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:30 pm

Apart from one moment of quality, by Cornet, to get the 2nd equaliser, we were awful.

Worst performance of the season by a mile.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:38 pm

I thought Watford would be dragged in pretty soon, they've just thrashed Everton at Goodison

Goddy
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Post by Goddy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:39 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:30 pm
Apart from one moment of quality, by Cornet, to get the 2nd equaliser, we were awful.

Isn't the real point (apols for the pun) that most of the games this season we've played well for little return. I look at the point today as something more positive that for the first time this season we've played poorly yet still come away with something.

Maybe the tide is turning....a win against Brentford and perhaps we'll all begin to believe again....

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:50 pm

We were poor again today, quite raggy to get a point. We are going to be there, or there abouts all season.
These 2 users liked this post: Woodleyclaret MT03ALG

Goddy
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Post by Goddy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:55 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:50 pm
We were poor again today, quite raggy to get a point. We are going to be there, or there abouts all season.
I'm not being funny here or trying to be overly wearing the claret-tinted glasses, but when you say 'again we've been poor ' it's as if every week we've played badly. Do you really think we've been so consistently poor?

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:24 pm

I didn't say we were consistently poor, but we were poor again - like we were against Brighton, Leeds and Norwich.

NickBFC
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 278 times

Post by NickBFC » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:59 pm

I thought we were reasonable in parts, and on another would have (luckily) taken all of the points but for a defensive cock up. Southampton save for a couple of players look a pretty poor outfit too. It's clear we are struggling though, can we strengthen in January? Will we be cut adrift before then? Worrying but have to keep the faith.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:04 pm

NickBFC wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:59 pm
I thought we were reasonable in parts, and on another would have (luckily) taken all of the points but for a defensive cock up. Southampton save for a couple of players look a pretty poor outfit too. It's clear we are struggling though, can we strengthen in January? Will we be cut adrift before then? Worrying but have to keep the faith.
My worry if we strengthen in January is that we may well be the end of the window rather than the start. However good the signings are SD will not feel they are ready until late March/April

NickBFC
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 278 times

Post by NickBFC » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:07 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:04 pm
My worry if we strengthen in January is that we may well be the end of the window rather than the start. However good the signings are SD will not feel they are ready until late March/April
Absolutely. You would hope, we can somehow make things happen early doors. This team and the manager need help.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:08 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Like Cornet?

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:08 pm

Goddy wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:55 pm
I'm not being funny here or trying to be overly wearing the claret-tinted glasses, but when you say 'again we've been poor ' it's as if every week we've played badly. Do you really think we've been so consistently poor?
We have four points from 9 games.

Yes we have been consistently poor this entire calendar year
These 2 users liked this post: BLH_Claret MT03ALG

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:24 pm

Goddy wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:55 pm
We've won 4 times in 29 games, open your damn eyes
These 2 users liked this post: MT03ALG Vino blanco

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:44 pm

We had a crap start last season, some of you seem to forget that and explode in over reaction, calm yourselves down.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:13 pm

And last season we won away at Liverool, Everton, Arsenal, Wolves, 12 massive points. We aren't doing that this season.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:47 pm

I know it's a semantic argument but I don't think we've played all that poorly this season, but everyone else has played better.
It's like saying 'we're going backwards' when in truth we've taken two steps forward, but everyone else has taken five.

I watch other teams and most seem capable of doing something well just with varying degrees of consistency. Only one team look out and out worse than us and we drew with them at home.
Most seasons we eventually take our fate into our own hands and don't have to rely on other teams coming undone. I don't see that being the case this season, if we survive it will be by the skin of our teeth.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:56 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Agree with this. We never sign players early Jan and when you account for Dyche’s 16 week bedding in period, it’s unlikely that any players we do sign will make a material impact.

I think we’ve got the players to stay up but appear stuck in a rut and since Dyche seems to want to persist with a striker that’s not scoring goals or adding much in terms of general play, I think we’re in trouble.
This user liked this post: Funkydrummer

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:29 pm

We hoped Palace would get their appointment all wrong which early stages looks like they haven't. We hoped Brentford, Norwich and Watford would struggle early but only 1 has really (so far). We hoped Ashley would not sell Newcastle and that would keep them struggling and I suppose who knows they still might. Our established strikers except for Rochdale game are all out of form.
Just at the moment things are conspiring against us but we have to go head down and grind away and whatever will be, will be
This user liked this post: CombatClaret

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 647 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:45 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:30 pm

Don't agree with that mate, apart from a 20 minute spell when they got up a real head of steam, we played reasonably well, defended OK and created several chances, even late on in the game. My only criticism is, the manager should have changed the formation sooner. From being in the stands you could tell just how much space the Saints had down our left hand side and they fully used it, thankfully not mortally as they missed some sitters. To me that performance was no worse than Brighton, Leeds, Everton where we played well for most of those games, but seem to have a crazy spell that costs us.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:54 am

We werent awful yesterday and Andreshotboots has it right. However I am almost resigning myself to going down this season now as 4 wins in the last 29 games and the lack of terrible teams in the PL this year mean I just cant see us recovering from where we are now to the extent we get past 3 teams. The only hope is we maybe find a way of accommodating Cornet (who has to stay fit) in forward positions whilst also giving Dwight freedom and somehow still keeping a solid framework across the pitch. Wood has to come good too. The lack of investment in our centre midfield overr the past 3 seasons is really hurting us now. I'm still hoping and prying but logic surely says it looks unlikely we\ll survive.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:22 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:56 pm
Agree with this. We never sign players early Jan and when you account for Dyche’s 16 week bedding in period, it’s unlikely that any players we do sign will make a material impact.

I think we’ve got the players to stay up but appear stuck in a rut and since Dyche seems to want to persist with a striker that’s not scoring goals or adding much in terms of general play, I think we’re in trouble.
Belting post - summed up in a nutshell.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:35 am

Norwich down
Burnley down
Newcastle will stay up with the money they have
Watford will stay up with the tinker man in charge

So it's one from Leeds, Southampton and Palace, I think Leeds will make the 3rd place up along with us and Norwich

For some reason our defense is a joke this season and with them being solid in the past that was a big reason why we've stayed up. Playing McNeil on the right doesn't work because he needs to chop back onto his other foot to whip in a ball, by doing this it invites defender's to take the ball off him or cover the forwards because its not a first time ball and they have more time, Cornet is on the wrong wing his game is to cut in and shoot he can't do that out wide left, I also feel Taylor's game is suffering without the cover of McNeil.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:39 am

Andreshotboots wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:45 am
Don't agree with that mate, apart from a 20 minute spell when they got up a real head of steam, we played reasonably well, defended OK and created several chances, even late on in the game. My only criticism is, the manager should have changed the formation sooner. From being in the stands you could tell just how much space the Saints had down our left hand side and they fully used it, thankfully not mortally as they missed some sitters. To me that performance was no worse than Brighton, Leeds, Everton where we played well for most of those games, but seem to have a crazy spell that costs us.
Rubbish on another day we could of conceded 4 or 5 it was woodwork and bad finishing that prevented it being that, this against a team that has scored only one goal at home this season so far

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 647 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:12 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:39 am
Rubbish on another day we could of conceded 4 or 5 it was woodwork and bad finishing that prevented it being that, this against a team that has scored only one goal at home this season so far
On another day we could have also scored 4 or 5, against a team who've just beaten Leeds, something that we've failed to do since their promotion.
Stats can be interpreted however you want. Myself, and all the other Clarets around me yesterday didn't come out of that stadium thinking we'd been awful, apart from that mad spell where they got their first goal, and far more importantly, neither did either manager who both commented it was a fair result.
These 2 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret tiger76

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:18 pm

Andreshotboots wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:45 am
It's fine to have a different opinion and glad you enjoyed your away day.
But that bad spell was terrible and it gives me nightmares thinking of it.
This user liked this post: Andreshotboots

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by leelad » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:44 pm

Highlights on the TV can be very misleading, but it looked like we have Cornet to thank for our point yesterday. He looks to be an all action player and can take his chances. This is what we need right now. Hopefully his knowledge of the Premiership and overall physical fitness will mean he can eventually play the full 90 minutes. Agree with the OP that it was a battling point, I know that games should not be classed as 'must win' but next Saturday's game is a big one now for us. We need to get our first home win since January and our first Prem win of the season now. We don't want to be in a position where we start to get cut off from the teams above us. Plenty for Dyche to think about this week.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2876 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:00 pm

I’m a big believer that form is temporary, we’ve been on a shocking run and some big mistakes have been made to get us to this place; and some stinking luck along the way. I do think this endless sniping helps generate a feeling of doom and gloom on here that is not real. There is a lot more positivity coming out of the boardroom and I’m grateful for that. I think we have more than enough about us as a club to steer clear of relegation but the more fans bicker the less confident the crowd becomes and the more up tight the players become. It isn’t age that is killing us it’s fear. Our team ethic will win through. We will stay up.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:05 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:00 pm
I’m a big believer that form is temporary, we’ve been on a shocking run and some big mistakes have been made to get us to this place; and some stinking luck along the way. I do think this endless sniping helps generate a feeling of doom and gloom on here that is not real. There is a lot more positivity coming out of the boardroom and I’m grateful for that. I think we have more than enough about us as a club to steer clear of relegation but the more fans bicker the less confident the crowd becomes and the more up tight the players become. It isn’t age that is killing us it’s fear. Our team ethic will win through. We will stay up.
I'm not sure if you still go on from posts on here but the fans have been really supportive on the games with great vocal backing, especially at away games.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2876 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:13 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:05 pm
I'm not sure if you still go on from posts on here but the fans have been really supportive on the games with great vocal backing, especially at away games.
That is pretty much the point. You see a different thing on the games, so it remains, crisis what crisis? long may that continue because once that doom and gloom hits the place we are in trouble… and it can be fan created, just as it can come from any part of the club… we need to recognise the whole needs to be the whole on and off the field.

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:54 pm

Calm down now, halfway by Christmas at least IMHO :D

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:22 pm

Thought Taylor was left high and dry lots of time in 2 v 1s. Not his fault.

But there is a strong case for 3 at the back when Mee is back if we expect Taylor, Lowt's pushing higher.

We are not far away just not quite there.
It will happen.

Cork was not his usual. Brownhill better in the middle.
SD really should have changed things Cork off for JGB or even Lennon

Keep the faith.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:44 pm

s6t9a2f3f wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:11 pm
Considering Newcastle who are one of the current bottom 3 will probably go for broke come January (as they can afford to) we have to look at 2 teams above us to drag into the battle come after xmas period. The surprise is Brentford 8 clear of us with a game in hand and Watford after today 6 clear - they will come back but back far enough - not sure. This is the 2nd season in a row our start has been particularly weak and considering we are always considered possible relegation fodder in this league we cannot afford these starts. Two wins back to back can change things though and pretty quickly and hopefully that comes quickly and just gives us some breathing space we dont want every game to seem a pressure 6 pointer. Great point today as mid week Southampton were very good.
Newcastle are very much in it. Tell me do you think world class players are going to join a club in a relegation battle with absolutely no hope of Champions a League football next season if they do stay up? City took a couple of years to get it sorted and Newcastle will be the same. It could take a season in the Championship first. And there is a limit to how much they can spend (albeit a big limit). I still think they are a relegation favourite despite their new found wealth.

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:25 am

houseboy wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:44 pm
Newcastle are very much in it. Tell me do you think world class players are going to join a club in a relegation battle with absolutely no hope of Champions a League football next season if they do stay up? City took a couple of years to get it sorted and Newcastle will be the same. It could take a season in the Championship first. And there is a limit to how much they can spend (albeit a big limit). I still think they are a relegation favourite despite their new found wealth.
Probably depends on 2 obvious things - how good and how much of a influence a new manager has and how quickly. Other obvious thing is can they keep key players like maxi and Wilson fit and playing. Regards January I was not looking at Mbappe and the likes but for argument sakes if big earners from other clubs are available (like say Barkley) on loans to end of season their wages won't deter Newcastle and IF the likes of us and Norwich look adrift come January 1-2 players like that might get them to 4th bottom come May.

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:32 am

Dyche was performing miracles with a championship- at -best quality squad 3 years ago, and that squad has barely changed since then, aside from getting 3 years older.

Barnes, Jay, Cork, Johan and probably more haven’t looked like PL players for a while now. This season you can throw Wood into that mix as well.

We are desperate for a striker who can score goals. That should be our priority in January otherwise it’s a tight call between who will finish rock bottom out of us and Norwich.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:41 am

claret2018 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:32 am

We are desperate for a striker who can score goals. That should be our priority in January otherwise it’s a tight call between who will finish rock bottom out of us and Norwich.
And what about the inability to keep clean sheets?

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:53 am

Southampton was one of our best performances of the season. We should have been 3 or 4 up in the first half hour. We would have won if Tarky hadn't made his error. OK we had a dodgy 15 mins - who doesn't? Defending in the second half was like our old selves. We're deep in the brown stuff at the moment but it's not all doom and gloom

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:11 am

Spijed wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:17 pm
Which implies, given our current appalling record in 2021, that we have gone backwards

Collins and Cornet look to be good investments but two players don't make a team

This ageing squad is now well past it's use by date as far as several players are concerned, plus others like Pope, Tarks and McNeil seem to be more error prone this season

We are certainly in the relegation scrap - most bookies have us third favourites and given the form of 2021 you can't argue with that

We have to somehow keep within the reaches of 16th/17th place come Jan, otherwise there will be few, if any, players looking to come here

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:52 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:11 am
Which implies, given our current appalling record in 2021, that we have gone backwards

Collins and Cornet look to be good investments but two players don't make a team

This ageing squad is now well past it's use by date as far as several players are concerned, plus others like Pope, Tarks and McNeil seem to be more error prone this season

We are certainly in the relegation scrap - most bookies have us third favourites and given the form of 2021 you can't argue with that

We have to somehow keep within the reaches of 16th/17th place come Jan, otherwise there will be few, if any, players looking to come here
Its a dilemma really, the 2 signings do look good but lets be realistic if we drop down we start next season without Tarks, Cornet (and then probably either or both McNeill and Pope). So it becomes a rebuild continuation whichever way we go.
The other dilemma is the players out of contract come end of season if we are in a relegation dog fight what wages do you offer them ? do you offer them a premiership wage extension in say janauary for 12 months but come June that wage might drop 50% ? must be very difficult to judge.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:24 pm

The Brentford game is massive. A win and we can move on, brimming with confidence.

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:37 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:24 pm
The Brentford game is massive. A win and we can move on, brimming with confidence.
Absolutely pal, do you think its become massive as well because we only drew with Norwich at home ? surely pre season when you looking at the fixture list for 38 plus potential points home games against the 3 promoted clubs must be high on the list to contribute against those 38 plus points ? Even if we draw Saturday thats 2/6 points against 2 newly promoted clubs at home.

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:51 pm

If Wood doesn’t start scoring regularly we’ll go down. Vydra has his positives but he’s simply not a regular goalscorer in the PL (in the Championship, probably). Time has caught up with Jay Rod and Barnes (similar issues in midfield). Unless of course we sign a striker in January. Unlikely ?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:14 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:51 pm
If Wood doesn’t start scoring regularly we’ll go down. Vydra has his positives but he’s simply not a regular goalscorer in the PL (in the Championship, probably). Time has caught up with Jay Rod and Barnes (similar issues in midfield). Unless of course we sign a striker in January. Unlikely ?
Perhaps we have found a new goal scorer in Maxwel Cornet to help Wood share the goals around. He's got 3 in 4 and no reason to think, injuries permitting that he won't get into double figures and beyond.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:50 pm

s6t9a2f3f wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:25 am
Probably depends on 2 obvious things - how good and how much of a influence a new manager has and how quickly. Other obvious thing is can they keep key players like maxi and Wilson fit and playing. Regards January I was not looking at Mbappe and the likes but for argument sakes if big earners from other clubs are available (like say Barkley) on loans to end of season their wages won't deter Newcastle and IF the likes of us and Norwich look adrift come January 1-2 players like that might get them to 4th bottom come May.
Good points. Be interesting to watch though.