Jimmy McIlroy would have been 90 today

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Jimmy McIlroy would have been 90 today

Post by ecc » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:17 pm

The greatest ever Claret was born on 25 October 1931, ninety years ago.

RIP
These 2 users liked this post: IanMcL tiger76

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Re: Jimmy McIlroy would have been 90 today

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:22 pm

I was going to post this but on the 3rd anniversary of his death I started a thread that led to some abusive posts from people who believe we shouldn't discuss our former players.

Personally, I will never not want to talk about the great Jimmy Mac.

On another note, it is five years ago today that Ray Lott (lotty1 orCumbrianClaret) passed away.

My thoughts today with Anne & Paul McIlroy and their families and to Margaret and Jason, Ray's wife and son.
These 5 users liked this post: Claret Till I Die Juan Tanamera beddie DAVETHEVICAR tiger76

ecc

Post by ecc » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:36 pm

Hello Tony,

"I was going to post this but on the 3rd anniversary of his death I started a thread that led to some abusive posts from people who believe we shouldn't discuss our former players."

There's so much in today's society I really don't understand but if people think that then we might as well pull the plug on this world right now.

Nobody has the right to tell us we shouldn't discuss our former players. They need to get a grip.

You are absolutely right to mention Ray Lott, Tony. Five years already. Ray got a hell of a lot of stick on here for his optimism and love of the club. He came from my Dad's generation. I cannot begin to believe what my Dad would say about us not being allowed to cherish the memories of our former players.

And I hope no half-wits say we're not allowed to remember our departed fans.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:41 pm

ecc wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:36 pm
Ray got a hell of a lot of stick on here for his optimism and love of the club.
I get told I'm too positive but Ray took it to the tenth degree and hated any criticism of the club at all. How sad that he passed away a few months before the first occasion we survived a Premier League season.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 10008 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:09 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:22 pm
I was going to post this but on the 3rd anniversary of his death I started a thread that led to some abusive posts from people who believe we shouldn't discuss our former players.

Personally, I will never not want to talk about the great Jimmy Mac.
Personally, I would have deleted the account of anyone who spouted such nonsense.
Who do these people think they are deciding who we can or can not talk about when it comes to players from our history.

ecc

Post by ecc » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:16 pm

He did, Tony. But my Dad was like that too. I was brought up like that.

I think there is a distinction that needs making between the club as an institution and the people owning and working for it at any given point in time.

Perhaps Ray and my Dad were wrong. I don't know but if I had to choose between people with Ray's blind faith and some of the knee-jerkers I read on here it wouldn't be a hard decision.

Whatever.

Today is about remembering a hero and respecting what he gave to us all.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:24 pm

I feel very privileged that

1. I was able to see Jimmy McIlroy play for Burnley
2. I was able to get to know Jimmy McIlroy

I wasn't the only one shedding tears outside the Turf when he came past for the final time.

What a special footballer he was.
These 2 users liked this post: Suratclaret tiger76

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:29 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:24 pm
I feel very privileged that

1. I was able to see Jimmy McIlroy play for Burnley
2. I was able to get to know Jimmy McIlroy

I wasn't the only one shedding tears outside the Turf when he came past for the final time.

What a special footballer he was.
I,too, fall into that most probably ever-decreasing number of people privileged to see Jimmy Mc( or just Mc to my dad and older brothers at the time) play for us. He was an instant hero, he thrilled the supporters and teased the hell out of so many opposition players at the same time. He demonstrated to me the joys associated with kicking a ball around, be it on the park, the school yard or the street.
Just an ordinary bloke from Northern Ireland as far as I could see who got me looking forward to a fortnightly trip with my dad.or brothers from Rossendale to Turf Moor and then the excited chat around the table when we got back home.
I also went to that game at Stoke, his first game against us since his transfer in Feb. 1963. Coming up to 58 years ago in a few days time, my allegiance that day was 100% Claret. Mc just didn't look right in red and white stripes and for the first time in my life I wanted him to lose. I didn't bear any grudges or anything like that; I was only 11 years old but I was a claret( although that was the first time I'd seen us play in an away kit) and he wasn't that day. 3-0 down at half time didn't look good but my dad and uncle assured me Stoke would tire because they were an old team. A 4-4 draw I suppose kept most people happy, me too but I wouldn't have minded a dramatic last minute winner. God bless Jimmy Mc, a true hero and gentleman.

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 825 times
Has Liked: 1609 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:30 pm

Jimmy McIlroy was the greatest player I have seen play for the Clarets and I have seen all the top players at Burnley since 1958.
He was also a top top man
I did not know Ray Lott ( lotty1) but remember that his posts were always positive about the club.
My thoughts are with the families of Jimmy and Ray today.
2 Top Clarets.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:36 pm

Some are born great. Some achieve greatness. Others have greatness thrust upon 'em.

Perhaps Jimmy Mc could make a case for all three!

Conroy92
Been Liked: 497 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:45 pm

Being around 30 I never saw Jimmy play. Through people talking of the legends and story's of our greatest players it builds a sense of pride and a feeling deep down inside like you watched them too. I even shed a tear at the turf that day when Jimmy got his MBE on the pitch, despite it being the only occasion I really ever saw him on it!
Please, don't stop discussing our past players, it's the only connection some of us have to them.
These 4 users liked this post: Beagle wilks_bfc tiger76 ecc

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:58 pm

Too young to have seen him play but I did have the privilege of meeting him a couple of times when I worked at the club mid 90s. He signed a match programme that I gave to my then father in law who was quite emotional to receive it from the great man.

A tale I have told before - I owned a bakery shop in Brookmans Park and once Saturday I wore a BFC polo shirt. A customer looked at it, said a Burnley fan, do you know Jimmy McIlroy? Obviously I knew all about him and met him, why do you ask? I used to holiday with him when I was a child, he was best friends with my father. And your father was? Danny Blanchflower was the reply.
These 4 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Claret Till I Die Buxtonclaret DAVETHEVICAR

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:03 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:29 pm
I,too, fall into that most probably ever-decreasing number of people privileged to see Jimmy Mc( or just Mc to my dad and older brothers at the time) play for us. He was an instant hero, he thrilled the supporters and teased the hell out of so many opposition players at the same time. He demonstrated to me the joys associated with kicking a ball around, be it on the park, the school yard or the street.
Just an ordinary bloke from Northern Ireland as far as I could see who got me looking forward to a fortnightly trip with my dad.or brothers from Rossendale to Turf Moor and then the excited chat around the table when we got back home.
I also went to that game at Stoke, his first game against us since his transfer in Feb. 1963. Coming up to 58 years ago in a few days time, my allegiance that day was 100% Claret. Mc just didn't look right in red and white stripes and for the first time in my life I wanted him to lose. I didn't bear any grudges or anything like that; I was only 11 years old but I was a claret( although that was the first time I'd seen us play in an away kit) and he wasn't that day. 3-0 down at half time didn't look good but my dad and uncle assured me Stoke would tire because they were an old team. A 4-4 draw I suppose kept most people happy, me too but I wouldn't have minded a dramatic last minute winner. God bless Jimmy Mc, a true hero and gentleman.
My first ever Clarets game, that 4-4 draw.
8-)
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:38 pm

I to are the many that never saw him play, but I did have one instance of bumping into him, literally.

I was rushing into the post office in Burnley and as I turned to bump into the door, he was coming out.

I was apologising before I realised who it was, but all he said was “don’t worry lad” :)