Anyone wear Hearing Aids

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
beddie
Been Liked: 1384 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Anyone wear Hearing Aids

Post by beddie » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:52 am

After months of being told off for not hearing things properly and answering back with gobbledegook (so I’m informed) I’ve finally given in and had some fitted this morning from spec savers, the ones over the ear. Admittedly I can hear things I’ve not heard for some time and certain noises sound weird although I’m not sure I’ll be able to put up with something sat in my ear drum. I know it will take time for the brain to adjust but I have to admit I don’t have a lot of patience. I suppose I’m a bit embarrassed at being seen with them behind the ears but as my wife says, who cares about that. Thought I’d just ask how other wearers of them have found them and any tips. I’m 67 years old though but still think I’m 47.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Re: Anyone wear Hearing Aids

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:55 am

What? You’ll have to speak up mate.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:00 pm

beddie wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:52 am
I’m 67 years old though but still think I’m 47.
Similar here. I'm counting down the days now to my 70th. There is no doubt that my hearing isn't as good as it once was but I've not gone for any tests yet. I suppose it's a bit like the time when you first need reading glasses but you won't admit it to yourself and suddenly your arms are no longer long enough when reading.

As for the hearing aids, I wouldn't bother about it at all. No one bothers.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:05 pm

I wouldn't be embarrassed at wearing one at 47 if it means you can hear properly. Im sure you'll get used to it and in a years time you'll look back and think what was all the fuss about and be thankful of the improvements it will have brought to your day to day life

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:09 pm

Being a young 'un, my hearing is still pretty good. But from the point of view of seeing someone wearing a hearing aid, it is just as normal as someone wearing glasses and I wouldn't have any embarrassment wearing one if needed, don't worry about the look of it as long as it is comfortable and works, the more you wear it the more comfortable it will be.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:18 pm

beddie wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:52 am
After months of being told off for not hearing things properly and answering back with gobbledegook (so I’m informed) I’ve finally given in and had some fitted this morning from spec savers, the ones over the ear. Admittedly I can hear things I’ve not heard for some time and certain noises sound weird although I’m not sure I’ll be able to put up with something sat in my ear drum. I know it will take time for the brain to adjust but I have to admit I don’t have a lot of patience. I suppose I’m a bit embarrassed at being seen with them behind the ears but as my wife says, who cares about that. Thought I’d just ask how other wearers of them have found them and any tips. I’m 67 years old though but still think I’m 47.
I used to watch it, but it’s not as good as it used to be….
This user liked this post: spadesclaret

cbx750
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Post by cbx750 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:20 pm

My friend's wife has a hearing aid that somehow fits behind her ear on her glasses, I didn't know she had it till she told me. I don't know what the cost was.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:21 pm

https://youtu.be/1JD353rNvT4

I have recently been diagnosed with chronic tinnitus and the docs have told me to wear hearing aids to increase the level of ambient noise.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1000 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:04 pm

I've been using them for about 7 years now from when I was c 64 (cue Beatles song).

Just like my dad, I started losing hearing noticeably in my early 50s and was pretty impaired by 60. I resisted getting aids for ages, especially as I lived alone by then- but when I had a medical problem I realized how awkward (life endangering even) it could be to not to be able to follow what was being said to me.
Like a lot, my impairment is most acute at higher frequencies (and I recall my mam giving my dad the "you always seem to hear your mates ok but never hear me" scold).

As you say, it takes quite a long time for the brain to adjust to interpreting the aids and some things will never sound the same - higher frequency sounds especially for me. I stopped feeling conspicuous wearing them pretty quickly, just the same as having to wear specs really.

I think it's a good idea to let people know early on when meeting them that you're hearing impaired (they probably wont notice your aids) so they don't start to think you're thick for not picking things up 100%, some good folk will then make an extra effort to speak clearly. Mask wearing has been a big barrier this last 18 months though as it can be v tough picking up muffled sounds coming through masks.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:08 pm

Think of it as a fashion accessory.

ed7c3b3e05e7e47c394e824915906e9c.jpg
ed7c3b3e05e7e47c394e824915906e9c.jpg (17.06 KiB) Viewed 2003 times

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:15 pm

I find it very useful to be able to ‘ throw a deaf un in ‘ lol

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 189 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:52 pm

Nearly two o’clock utc

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:00 pm

Oddly I am the same age and have them from Specsavers as well. From what you say they sound the same. Took me a while to get over the embarrassment (don’t ask why) but I wouldn’t be without them now. The problem with deafness, however slight, is the lack of sympathy. If you’re in a wheelchair or carry a white stick or have learning difficulties people can’t do enough for you but if you are deaf people just get angry because they think you are either ignorant or stupid. It is the invisible disability.

You’ll get used to them but remember not to sleep in them, they do fall out.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:04 pm

LeadBelly wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:04 pm
I've been using them for about 7 years now from when I was c 64 (cue Beatles song).

Just like my dad, I started losing hearing noticeably in my early 50s and was pretty impaired by 60. I resisted getting aids for ages, especially as I lived alone by then- but when I had a medical problem I realized how awkward (life endangering even) it could be to not to be able to follow what was being said to me.
Like a lot, my impairment is most acute at higher frequencies (and I recall my mam giving my dad the "you always seem to hear your mates ok but never hear me" scold).

As you say, it takes quite a long time for the brain to adjust to interpreting the aids and some things will never sound the same - higher frequency sounds especially for me. I stopped feeling conspicuous wearing them pretty quickly, just the same as having to wear specs really.

I think it's a good idea to let people know early on when meeting them that you're hearing impaired (they probably wont notice your aids) so they don't start to think you're thick for not picking things up 100%, some good folk will then make an extra effort to speak clearly. Mask wearing has been a big barrier this last 18 months though as it can be v tough picking up muffled sounds coming through masks.
I must admit the mask wearing and the plastic screens in shops, as necessary as they were, acted as a baffle and made conversation with till staff virtually impossible. I often got my wife to interpret. 😊

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:45 am

I have hearing aids and couldn't believe what I had missed for probably over half my life.

They take a bit of getting used to and I can alter things using ReSound, a phone app but even 3 years on some things I don't wear them for at all as it is too overwhelming.

beddie
Been Liked: 1384 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:29 am

JohnMac wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:45 am
I have hearing aids and couldn't believe what I had missed for probably over half my life.

They take a bit of getting used to and I can alter things using ReSound, a phone app but even 3 years on some things I don't wear them for at all as it is too overwhelming.
JohnMac. I just wondered when you mentioned too overwhelming, even turning them down does that not help, presumably you’re referring to noisy places like a crowded pub, meeting room etc, what about a football stadium? The first thing I mentioned was that I don’t want to hear too much, they’ve set mine just below my prescription and on the basic settings to get used to it. In a couple of weeks they intend to add the phone app facility and other things I can’t remember.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:10 am

I was going deaf just about the same time as i meet the wife , hummmm .
Well look 27 years later and still wearing one , now it is very hard when you first start off i must say but you will get used to it and at what level you want it . I am the same specsavers do a great job as i have one behind the ear also and a bright blue colour so everyone can see the dam thing .
I should wear two but happy with one now it makes sounds appear from didferent areas which is still hard to work out but i am happy with it , you kind of get used to been deaf and love the quite time which you live in now .
The only hassle i have is that i wear glasses and add masks wearing to that and it's a pain but hey otherwise happy out .

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:15 pm

Had mine fitted a year after the Radiotherapy on my neck...it knackered the Eustachian Tubes in my ears. Im ok on a one to one, its when Im in a crowd I really struggle. They are very small and not really noticable, I have an app on my phone where I can alter the sound level etc...less in one more in another.

Brucefanclaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Brucefanclaret » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:43 pm

My hearing started going in my mid-60’s and then got much worse after I’d had chemo. I had NHS aids for a while, but found them very uncomfortable and ended up getting mine from Boots. They are great and I can wear them all the time now. Wouldn’t wear them at TM though (haven’t been going cos of husband being Covid-vulnerable) as it would be too loud! Keep going with them, Beddie - if they are still uncomfortable, ask for a smaller ear-piece. Did the trick for me.

Brucefanclaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Brucefanclaret » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:43 pm

My hearing started going in my mid-60’s and then got much worse after I’d had chemo. I had NHS aids for a while, but found them very uncomfortable and ended up getting mine from Boots. They are great and I can wear them all the time now. Wouldn’t wear them at TM though (haven’t been going cos of husband being Covid-vulnerable) as it would be too loud! Keep going with them, Beddie - if they are still uncomfortable, ask for a smaller ear-piece. Did the trick for me.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:26 pm

beddie wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:29 am

JohnMac. I just wondered when you mentioned too overwhelming, even turning them down does that not help, presumably you’re referring to noisy places like a crowded pub, meeting room etc, what about a football stadium? The first thing I mentioned was that I don’t want to hear too much, they’ve set mine just below my prescription and on the basic settings to get used to it. In a couple of weeks they intend to add the phone app facility and other things I can’t remember.
I should discipline myself to use them more really but do find the matchday pub/turf a bit overpowering most of the time.

Using the App I can select the environment and control volume whilst adding filters such as speech clarity, noise or hear everyone. I don't have a phone controller through choice but do have a TV Sounder which is awesome. I do love nature though and hearing some of our birds singing maybe for the first time is wonderful.

I got mine via the UK Veterans Hearing Fund from the Hearing Centre in Preston and the after service is excellent. I spent 23+ years in the Army in the Royal Artillery from 1971 and back then hearing loss wasn't enforced like it is today.

daveyclaret
Been Liked: 23 times

Post by daveyclaret » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:38 pm

I've been wearing hearing aids since I was 7 years old, I'm now 70. I caught measles as a boy which left me with infected ears which required medical operations. Between 7 and 12 years old, I had 4 operations, 2 on each ear. The operations which entailed skin and bone grafts from my thighs to try to repair the internal hearing mechanism damaged my hearing and along with increasing age, I now have severe and profound hearing loss which means that I'm almost totally deaf. I wear a hearing aid in each ear but not a the same time. In the day, I have a hearing aid in my right ear but when I go to bed, I swop that and put a hearing aid in my left ear.

I've had a range of hearing aids over the years from those that fit in the ear to the behind the ear type. I've also had, and still do wear, hearing aid spectacles that have the hearing aids fitted into the spectacle arms. I've spent thousands of pounds over the years buying hearing aids privately but at the moment I'm using behind the ear types from the NHS.

I need hearing aids to be able to hear so the thought of being embarrassed by having to wear hearing aids is irrelevant to me.