Roberts

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Re: Roberts

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:32 pm

corporal jones wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:00 pm
Trust Sean. After all he was bang on the money with Challobah. Oh hang on he is in the Chelsea first team now!
Or, more accuruately, he's now struggling to get a game at Fulham. FYI he left Chelsea over four years ago having made just one start for them.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:34 pm

Anyone think corporal will probably avoid this thread going forward
These 2 users liked this post: welsbyswife Burnley Ace

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:04 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:27 pm
I believe there are suggestions to play him in the centre of midfield.
Like you I'm not having that either, right side more than capable, CM............ :shock: :lol:

brexit
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:03 pm

corporal jones wrote:
Trust Sean. After all he was bang on the money with Challobah. Oh hang on he is in the Chelsea first team now!
Bamford

corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by corporal jones » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:28 pm

my apologies-differnet Challobah! Durr. i will get my coat.
This user liked this post: KateR

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:50 pm

Funny how Maxwell Cornet has played many of his games as a full back in France, but his debut for Burnley was wide on the wing, and more recently SD has tried him as a partner for Wood in the forward line. Strangely enough he has excelled in both positions

In Roberts we have a player who loves getting down the right touchline, can attack and defend, and is two footed,and may well be the best crosser in open play at the club, but he has yet to make his PL debut, with fans on this site outraged at others suggesting we should be giving him game time on the right side of a 4 man midfield. This by the way in a position he was very familiar with during his Swansea period. I dont need reminding people that the club has struggled to fill for the past 3-4 years this position, having used Pieters, Brady, JBG, Brownhill and Hendrick all on the right side of midfield.

Imagine where we would be now had we not played Cornet, instead waiting for Taylor to have such a poor run of games at left back to allow him to start. When you are in our position ,we simply need to find a way of fielding our best 11

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:58 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:50 pm
Imagine where we would be now had we not played Cornet, instead waiting for Taylor to have such a poor run of games at left back to allow him to start. When you are in our position ,we simply need to find a way of fielding our best 11
Cornet was clearly signed as a left winger and not a left back and was never signed as competition for Taylor. Some of your other points were valid but when you post something like this to support your wider point then you're not doing yourself any favours

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:01 pm

corporal jones wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:28 pm
my apologies-differnet Challobah! Durr. i will get my coat.
Owning your mistake. I like it. Others take note.
This user liked this post: KateR

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:14 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:58 pm
Cornet was clearly signed as a left winger and not a left back and was never signed as competition for Taylor. Some of your other points were valid but when you post something like this to support your wider point then you're not doing yourself any favours
Yet it's hard to see why we would sign a left-winger when our best player, McNeil, was filling that role very well.
This user liked this post: warksclaret

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:19 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:14 pm
Yet it's hard to see why we would sign a left-winger when our best player, McNeil, was filling that role very well.
Not really, these days the position of winger isn't limited to your preferred foot. I think the consensus on here in the summer was we desperately needed wingers hence giving Lennon a contract and signing Cornet.

If Dyche decides long term Cornet will play the #10 role then that puts us back to still needing a winger but centre mid has to be the first priority

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:26 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:19 pm
Not really, these days the position of winger isn't limited to your preferred foot. I think the consensus on here in the summer was we desperately needed wingers hence giving Lennon a contract and signing Cornet.

If Dyche decides long term Cornet will play the #10 role then that puts us back to still needing a winger but centre mid has to be the first priority
OK, I can take those points on board.
But I doubt Cornet will ever play the infamous "no10 role", at least not in the same way as the most recently successful (and much maligned) Jeff Hendrick did

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:26 pm

Just to clarify boatshed I should have just said winger rather than left winger if thats the point you was making

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:29 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:26 pm
OK, I can take those points on board.
But I doubt Cornet will ever play the infamous "no10 role", at least not in the same way as the most recently successful (and much maligned) Jeff Hendrick did
By #10 I mean the role he is currently playing as the second striker alongside Wood. I believe Dyche signed him as an attacking winger and thats where he could well end up longer term.

I'll be amazed if he ever plays left back for us

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:29 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:58 pm
I never for one minute thought Cornet was a Taylor replacement-in any case we have a competent one in Pieters. From all the speculation about Cornet prior to signing I assumed he would probably play as an inverted winger, which SD seems to like

When speculation broke about Roberts my immediate thoughts were we already have two full backs, so I assume he will be more as cover on the right side of midfield, where we have had 3-4 years of some indifferent performances. It gave us 4 players for the wide berths-McNeil, Cornet, JBG and Roberts (sorry but I dont count Lennon). We know SD likes 2 players for each position

My point being we have been happy at a fairly early stage to experiment with Cornet on both wings and as a striker, yet Roberts who comes to us with some pedigree is being somewhat frozen out from a position he would seem to be a natural in. Could understand if we were on a points yielding run-but what is it now, one league win since beating Fulham ??

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:32 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:26 pm
Just to clarify boatshed I should have just said winger rather than left winger if thats the point you was making
I'm pretty sure Max Cornet only plays down the left side, and it's something he does very well.
If we were looking to strengthen on the wing we could have done with a right footed right winger (IMO)...not L:ennon.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:34 pm

.........is this the right room for an argument?
This user liked this post: Newchurch Claret

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:36 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:32 pm
I'm pretty sure Max Cornet only plays down the left side, and it's something he does very well.
If we were looking to strengthen on the wing we could have done with a right footed right winger (IMO)...not L:ennon.
And we may already have that player in our midst. Roberts could well prove he can perform this role as well as supplying the defensive capabilities that SD wants from wingers. Did Kieran Trippier not provide us with around 14 assists when we won the Championship-now he has become one of the benchmark "wing backs"

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:37 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:29 pm

I'll be amazed if he ever plays left back for us
sorry, i missed this bit, me too, i could only imagine him as a wing back or orthodox left-winger.
The No10, as I see it is a role designed to hold on to the ball (I think they call it recycling these days) and turn defence into attack by bringing players on to the ball.
BTW, I thought Hendrick was brilliant at it.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:37 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:34 pm
.........is this the right room for an argument?
Its a very healthy and clean debate
These 3 users liked this post: boatshed bill Devils_Advocate fatboy47

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:42 pm

Cornets anticipation, speed of thought and finishing are so good there are passages in a game when he is making things look very easy. Makes it hard to know what role suits him best

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:44 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:42 pm
Cornets anticipation, speed of thought and finishing are so good there are passages in a game when he is making things look very easy. Makes it hard to know what role suits him best
he's got great technique for sure.
Not sure he's a natural at pressing or defending from the front but that remains to be seen.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:18 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:44 pm
he's got great technique for sure.
Not sure he's a natural at pressing or defending from the front but that remains to be seen.
I can live with his lack of pressing if he keeps up his goal scoring. Averaging 0.8 goal per game, has outscored our entire forward line and 4 midfielders combined and only played a limited number of games

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:48 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:18 pm
I can live with his lack of pressing if he keeps up his goal scoring. Averaging 0.8 goal per game, has outscored our entire forward line and 4 midfielders combined and only played a limited number of games
Yes, his goalscoring ability is amazing. To me that's what football is all about.
for a bit of balance though. our best performances come through shape and discipline. I'm not saying that I'm against flair, but think about what has kept us in the PL... work rate, getting behind the ball.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:14 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:29 pm
I never for one minute thought Cornet was a Taylor replacement-in any case we have a competent one in Pieters. From all the speculation about Cornet prior to signing I assumed he would probably play as an inverted winger, which SD seems to like

When speculation broke about Roberts my immediate thoughts were we already have two full backs, so I assume he will be more as cover on the right side of midfield, where we have had 3-4 years of some indifferent performances. It gave us 4 players for the wide berths-McNeil, Cornet, JBG and Roberts (sorry but I dont count Lennon). We know SD likes 2 players for each position

My point being we have been happy at a fairly early stage to experiment with Cornet on both wings and as a striker, yet Roberts who comes to us with some pedigree is being somewhat frozen out from a position he would seem to be a natural in. Could understand if we were on a points yielding run-but what is it now, one league win since beating Fulham ??
Why do you think Roberts has been frozen out? He came injured or just recovering from no an injury (a long term one I think) we are taking it easy with him Dyche has already said that. I don’t see us playing him for more than 1 game a week at the minute. I imagine he will be on the bench next game unless he has picked up another injury and then we will see some progression from there

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:32 pm

Both him and Collins arrived recovering from injury. When we signed Roberts it was felt he would be fit in the second half of September. Since that time he has been a sub (and came on), and played two further games for Wales, in one of the best Wales teams I have seen. For us he has not even been a regular sub for league games. I just hope we are not missing a trick, as I feel he can do a good job right of midfield where we have been poor

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:47 pm

Cracking radios.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:06 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:47 pm
Cracking radios.
You are not wrong.
I am looking at one right now stereo, DAB plus CD player, nearly 20 years old and still going perfectly :D

Bullabill
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:31 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:47 pm
Cracking radios.
Could be a problem with the aerial or a dodgy earth wire.
This user liked this post: Funkydrummer

BobLordsPencil
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by BobLordsPencil » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:34 pm

corporal jones wrote:
Different fella, the brother of the guy we had on loan is in Chelsea's first team right now

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:30 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:37 pm
Its a very healthy and clean debate
.........oh no it isn't!

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:54 am

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:50 pm
Funny how Maxwell Cornet has played many of his games as a full back in France, but his debut for Burnley was wide on the wing, and more recently SD has tried him as a partner for Wood in the forward line. Strangely enough he has excelled in both positions

In Roberts we have a player who loves getting down the right touchline, can attack and defend, and is two footed,and may well be the best crosser in open play at the club, but he has yet to make his PL debut, with fans on this site outraged at others suggesting we should be giving him game time on the right side of a 4 man midfield. This by the way in a position he was very familiar with during his Swansea period. I dont need reminding people that the club has struggled to fill for the past 3-4 years this position, having used Pieters, Brady, JBG, Brownhill and Hendrick all on the right side of midfield.

You say it's a position he's familiar with but he's only played there once in his entire career. Where did you get the idea he was familiar? Compare this to Cornet who's had session long periods playing in a front 3.

Some players can adapt, some can't. Being an attacking wing back does not automatically make you a candidate to be a winger. First of all, being effective in attack as a defender is all about finding space and making the right decisions. When to attack or defend. You have the advantage of being marked by an offensive minded winger in most games compared to a full back so being able to attack becomes easier as your marker is more likely to loose you when you make forward runs.

Not only that but team structure and tactics also play a part. The reason we play with Gudmundsson on that side is so the full backs can over or underlap him. Much of Lowton playing well has been down to that. Once you play a defender in that position who's also right footed you immediately change the system and affect how Lowton plays with it.

There are so many reasons why it wouldn't work and the chances are if it hadn't worked by now in his career it won't work for us either.

My personal take on the signings is that Cornet was signed to be Gudmundsson's replacement but his defensive frailties and attacking prowess soon showed Dyche he's a better fit up front (at least for now, until he learns to defend better as a unit). Roberts was signed to play Right back as a replacement for Lowton who coincidentally is playing well.

Like when we had Taylor on the bench when Ward was playing well we will eventually see Roberts challenging for Lowtons position. It will probably come when Lowton is injured or suspended. I think playing him right midfield will be a last resort behind playing Lennon, Cornet or Gudmundsson there. It's a nice problem to have, and next year with no Bardsley he'll get even more genres both in season and in training.

Blyclaret
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Blyclaret » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:28 pm

Burnley considering sending Connor Roberts out on loan.
Hmmmmm..

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:32 pm

Blyclaret wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:28 pm
Hmmmmm..
no they aren't. Dyche was asked that question and he said no

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:47 pm

Blyclaret wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:28 pm
Hmmmmm..
TBH, I'd be much more shocked at Roberts going out on loan than at the club setting up something for Bardsley.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:02 pm

Why on Earth would we send him out on loan?

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:35 pm

More to this than meets the eye....Instagram posts put up and later deleted....player not happy !

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:46 pm

Was on the bench today.

Grimsdale
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by Grimsdale » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:05 pm

Looking at the state of the pitch today, maybe Dyche was thinking of using him as a sweeper.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:41 pm

Think Roberts might come on against Wolves
depending how the game is going.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:42 pm

I was pleased to see him on the bench. Hopefully he starts getting some minutes, but I would swap him with JBG vs Lowton initially.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:46 pm

He was also on the bench at Chelsea but him not being on the bench for 1 game sent some into a frenzy

WiscoClaret
Been Liked: 42 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by WiscoClaret » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:56 am

Yes, I noticed that he deleted all of his posts about Burnley. When asked if he was upset or wanted out he responded with: “Nah, I’m happy here 😂 was just told I wasn’t allowed to pay stuff about the club.” (None of the other players were told they can’t post about the club... Brownhill, Jrod, or ANYONE else.) hell brownie started an ad campaign helping out businesses in Burnley as a Burnley player and produced videos for them. I really don’t get it. I don’t have to get it either but I mean hell even Nathan Collins could talk about joining. Sounds like a bad excuse.

Would understand if upset. He’s at the prime of his game or almost there and Beardsley is making the bench before him. Which, in fairness Beardsley is a top top pro. However, if it’s the difference between seeing out Bardsleys contract and keeping his friendship and upsetting Roberts when he’s outperforming Bardo then I’d be upset.

Who knows though.... I surely don’t. Just think it’s all VERY odd.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:55 am

Fair point he has a right to be annoyed if he has been dropped for Beardsley
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud