Wolves V Burnley match thread

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Re: Wolves V Burnley match thread

Post by Aclaret » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:15 am

Couldn't help noticing, at the end of the game the Wolves manager looking on the back of Brownhills shirt to check his name. Was he impressed with his performance ?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:29 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:09 am
I don't think Brownhill is as bad as you portray, but one the reasons he is the team is his ability to work his socks off to close down passing lanes and slows up attacks

Is he a world beater at it? No

Is he the best we've got at it? Yes

How much would it cost to get a midfielder who could do all that, plus score goals and everything else? More than we've got
Do we expect too much from footballers?

Are we harsh in being critical because he can't shoot or pass the ball very well?

The closing down passing lanes comment reminds me of when I was kid and had a poor game. My dad would say no matter how many mistakes you made someone had to mark you, so you contributed to the team.
Teams don't mark players anymore they go zonal or close down passing lanes.

We have been passed to death by two mid table sides recently. We don't seem to be able to close off them passing lanes too good at the minute.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:32 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:29 am
Do we expect too much from footballers?

Are we harsh in being critical because he can't shoot or pass the ball very well?

The closing down passing lanes comment reminds me of when I was kid and had a poor game. My dad would say no matter how many mistakes you made someone had to mark you, so you contributed to the team.
Teams don't mark players anymore they go zonal or close down passing lanes.

We have been passed to death by two mid table sides recently. We don't seem to be able to close off them passing lanes too good at the minute.
Did we lose?

I think good teams can always pass it, but they still have to win games, and we did enough so they couldn't do that

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:39 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:32 am
Did we lose?

I think good teams can always pass it, but they still have to win games, and we did enough so they couldn't do that
No, we didn't lose.

But these two mid table sides (not super clubs) have had new managers in for a few months and got them passing the ball quite well.
We have a settled team and manager for years and some of the team struggle to pass 5 yards.

We have to aim higher in our performance.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:47 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:39 am
No, we didn't lose.

But these two mid table sides (not super clubs) have had new managers in for a few months and got them passing the ball quite well.
We have a settled team and manager for years and some of the team struggle to pass 5 yards.

We have to aim higher in our performance.
But we play a different style

The main difference to the Wolves performance to our other ones was that we really struggled to get any passes going at all, but looked a lot more solid at the back

As always, we will be at our best when we get that balance right, but our last eight games suggest we are there or there abouts, and as long as the performances remain good (with Wolves being only barely good btw), then the wins will come

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:54 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:47 am
But we play a different style

The main difference to the Wolves performance to our other ones was that we really struggled to get any passes going at all, but looked a lot more solid at the back

As always, we will be at our best when we get that balance right, but our last eight games suggest we are there or there abouts, and as long as the performances remain good (with Wolves being only barely good btw), then the wins will come
I agree with most of it.

Just wish we would work more on the technical side in training.
Better passing so it's easier for players to receive and move on.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:06 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:15 am
Couldn't help noticing, at the end of the game the Wolves manager looking on the back of Brownhills shirt to check his name. Was he impressed with his performance ?
Brownhill is what he is , a Championship player taking a long time to adjust to a higher level of football who rarely leaves a mark on the game.
The rate his game is improving frustrates me

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:08 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:15 am
Saw that too