January 2022 Burnley Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Re: January 2022 Burnley Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

Post by Boss Hogg » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:03 pm

I hope we have other CM targets than Ramsey. He’s not that keen on coming here and apparently thinks it would be a massive comedown so I think I’d find it hard to get behind him. We need players who are up for a fight and think it’s a challenge to play for us.
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc burnleymik

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:04 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:42 pm

We need WW and one other by Monday evening. I’ll judge then.

It would be a real change to see WW alongside Burnley's name in a Current Form Table. That hasn't happened for a while now. :x

LlandennyClaret
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by LlandennyClaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:04 pm

While we are still in the “window” can we not also consider transferring a few posters off this message board?
Perhaps starting with……KRBFC, Jakubclaret, RVclaret and Newcastleclaret93 ? (Some of whom may even be one and the same).
I’m all for a good discussion but this lot are increasingly just so tiresome and repetitive.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 547 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:05 pm

ervi34 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:53 pm
Don't know why the deal feel through, but neither Orsic or his family were threatened. First of all, people who believe that are overestimating the power of Dinamo fans. Dinamo have already sold one local boy (Majer) earlier this season and there was no problem with that. The message they left was not violent by any means, it basically said "Don't go, PLEASE stay". Maybe he changed his decision because of that because he supports Dinamo and is their star, but there were no death threats. Don't believe everything you read on Twitter, especially info based on stereotypes of Eastern Europe.
Simply shared what I had been told - didn’t say I believed it for a second , part of me still thinks he will join after Sunday 😂

That may be the part of me that’s been subject to a few amber nectars

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:08 pm

Pearcey wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:47 pm
CT, an old friend of mine used to use the phrase ‘you can’t educate pork’. It’s quite apt today.
Not really. We’ll see where we are on Monday night but it’s been glaringly obvious for quite some time the positions that have needed addressing.

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 358 times
Has Liked: 330 times

Post by HahaYeah » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:09 pm

They said Cornet didn't want to come here. People will believe absolutely any old crap.

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:09 pm

ervi34 wrote:
Don't know why the deal feel through, but neither Orsic or his family were threatened. First of all, people who believe that are overestimating the power of Dinamo fans. Dinamo have already sold one local boy (Majer) earlier this season and there was no problem with that. The message they left was not violent by any means, it basically said "Don't go, PLEASE stay". Maybe he changed his decision because of that because he supports Dinamo and is their star, but there were no death threats. Don't believe everything you read on Twitter, especially info based on stereotypes of Eastern Europe.
Do you think that they would have written "If you leave we will massacre you" on the banner? There are other ways of getting a message across without doing it publicly.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:10 pm

ervi34 wrote:
For me it was less Eastern European stereotypes more weary cynicism about football skulduggery.
Guessing you don't have an inside scoop, but would you say there's any possibility of a reversal ie. The video was to say he's staying for the game Sunday then off?
Clutching at straws here but it's a hell of a letdown after so much sudden optimism.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2570 times
Has Liked: 770 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:15 pm

HahaYeah wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:09 pm
They said Cornet didn't want to come here. People will believe absolutely any old crap.
Aye they will mate. I remember one poster who used to link Vernon Coleman videos to the forum. :lol:

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:17 pm

jtv wrote:
Do you think that they would have written "If you leave we will massacre you" on the banner? There are other ways of getting a message across without doing it publicly.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ege-banner

Erm....

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:18 pm

Pearcey wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:47 pm
CT, an old friend of mine used to use the phrase ‘you can’t educate pork’. It’s quite apt today.

In IQ Tests scientists have found that pigs can outsmart both dogs and chimpanzees.

Sounds like your old friend was telling you porkies. :lol:

HahaYeah

Post by HahaYeah » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:21 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:15 pm
Aye they will mate. I remember one poster who used to link Vernon Coleman videos to the forum. :lol:
Hey Dr Vernon Coleman could save your life.

Now you would have to be gullible or vaxxed up to the eyeballs to believe dynamo fans were threatening to kill Orsics children if he was to be transferred to another team :roll:

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:21 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:50 pm
Absolutely.

We can’t judge a thing till it ‘slams’ shut.
Hopefully we’ll have ‘prepared’ some bids and ‘swooped’ by then!

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:26 pm

HahaYeah wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:21 pm
Hey Dr Vernon Coleman could save your life.

Now you would have to be gullible or vaxxed up to the eyeballs to believe dynamo fans were threatening to kill Orsics children if he was to be transferred to another team :roll:
:D :D :D

ervi34
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by ervi34 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:29 pm

jtv wrote:
But a banner containing a message begging their starboy to stay at the club is not one of them. As someone who is Croatian and whose family support Dinamo I can guarantee that there would be no problem if the move materialised. Their fans would probably be unhappy because they sold one of their best players while fighting for the title (like we were when we sold Wood while fighting to stay up) but there would be no murders. But if you want to believe that Orsic didn't join us because "he was scared to do so" then go ahead.
Last edited by ervi34 on Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ervi34
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by ervi34 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:30 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:10 pm
For me it was less Eastern European stereotypes more weary cynicism about football skulduggery.
Guessing you don't have an inside scoop, but would you say there's any possibility of a reversal ie. The video was to say he's staying for the game Sunday then off?
Clutching at straws here but it's a hell of a letdown after so much sudden optimism.
No chance. They literally said that he is staying to help them win the title. They shot a video with him although he didn't even extend his contract.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:03 pm

Fukin hell.. 105

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:03 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:03 pm
I hope we have other CM targets than Ramsey. He’s not that keen on coming here and apparently thinks it would be a massive comedown so I think I’d find it hard to get behind him. We need players who are up for a fight and think it’s a challenge to play for us.
He’s a bloody good player though and if he did join us we might very well stay up!

- Come on Aaron and join the fight for survival it’s much more challenging and interesting than sitting on your arse all day -

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:09 pm

Lingard linked. It’s the hope that kills me! :( :( :(

https://weallfollowunited.com/2022/01/2 ... n-utd/amp/

tally
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 287 times

Post by tally » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:12 pm

oh dear do dreams come true?

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:14 pm

tally wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:12 pm
oh dear do dreams come true?
Nope

😭😭😭😭😭

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:19 pm

HahaYeah wrote:
He didn’t. He’s only been playing half pace. He’d have scored 20 and we’d be safe by now if he was up for the fight.
This user liked this post: HahaYeah

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:03 pm

With two days to go, I'm happy with the idea of us signing Weghorst. He is the type of striker that will slot into our squad and play the type of formation / football that we need to grind out survival.

The Bundesliga isn't as competitive as the Pl, but it is close and it leans towards physical players who work together in a tactical system. Moving between leagues always poses a question mark when it comes to transfers. However, moving from the Bundesliga to PL is far less risky than taking a player from the Croatian league.

Weghorst can do everything that Wood did, but on top of that he is a lot more mobile. If we choose to stick with the tactical tweaks that we appear to be employing this season , to try and increase our midfield goals, Weghorst could prove to be more productive than Wood. The changes I've seen have altered the type of chances we are creating ( but not the number ) Weghorst will be more suitable for scoring throughout the box, instead of dictating a reliance on central corridor opportunities like Wood did. He will also be better at keeping pace with Cornet or Lennon as a number 10.

Looking forwards, Weghorst also has a lot more to his game than Wood. In addition to his ability to play as a Target man his mobility also allows him fulfil a secondary role as a poacher. So while he will fit seamlessly into our 4-4-2 he can also play into the 4-2-3-1 that brought Wolfsburg a lot of success last season. Their effectiveness fell off a cliff when Kohfeldt joined them as manager this season and proceeded to experiment with a lot of different attacking formations.

Some of the papers / online news portals have mentioned that Weghorst is having a disruptive effect on the Wolfsberg team. However, this seems to have stemmed from his choice not to have the Covid vaccine. Reportedly, this has resulted in problems arising between him and some of his team mates.

Unlike Wolfsberg we appear to be more receptive to an individual's right to choose if they have the vaccine or not. After all, being vaccinated makes no difference to somebody's potential to spread Covid if they contract it. Vaccinated or non-vaccinated the chance of an infected person spreading Covid to other people is exactly the same, which makes a nonsense of restricting access to events for people that aren't vaccinated.

The only Covid factor, related to a non-vaccinated person, that might be of some concern is how sick somebody might get. As we have seen people react to Covid differently and they can experience severe or less severe symptoms. Weghorst has already had it so we can be reasonably confident that he isn't going to experience severe symptoms.

All told, the disruptive situation that is circulating around Weghorst at Wolfsberg could play into our hands, making a player that would otherwise be unavailable free to leave. His push for a move to an English clubs only adds to that.

I'm not bothered about us missing out on Osric. In my opinion signing him would have been a bit of a gamble. I can't really see how we would have made use of another left sided winger without a formation change, which would have been a risky thing for us to do at this point in the season.

More importantly, for me, was the money involved. Spending what could have been £19m out of the £25 we might have got for Wood on two 29 year old player ( who probably won't command much of a resale value in the next 2 or 3 years ) didn't seem prudent. In terms of player transfers we need to start making our money work better for us. We need players with potential re-sale values who could be expected to stay with us for some time. If a player can't fulfil that criteria they need to be cheap and £7m for Osric didn't strike me as cheap. I seem to struggle typing Orsic as well.

Under the circumstances, selling Wood for somewhere in the region of £25m and replacing him with Weghorst who might cost is £12m seems like a reasonable move to me. It leaves us with money to spend and it would give us a respectable replacement. Granted, losing an important player like Wood isn't ideal, and neither is adding a new player to the squad at this time, but given some muppet let the cat out of the bag in regard to his release clause it strikes me as a decent recovery.

Ideally I would like to see us do more on the transfer front, but with only two days left that could be unlikely. I have serious doubts about whether we intended to do anything in this window, other than wait around and act on an inviting opportunity if one fell in our lap. The Wood move forced our hand and gave us no choice. However, now we have been encouraged to do business I would like to see us try and do other deals.

I still think Jed Wallace would be a good buy for us. Millwall look like they will lose him for nothing in the Summer if they don't sell now. I doubt that they want to lose him and they might think they can extend his contract, but I can't see it. The only fly in the ointment is the short time they would have to replace him.

Fortunately, Millwall are in a solid mid table slot and while losing him would hurt them I can't see it being enough to make relegation a serious concern, even if they don't bring in a replacement. Neither are they in the promotion race. So they could cash in on Wallace, probably drop a few places and finish out their season with cash to spend in the Summer. I think the reason why more clubs haven't expressed an interest in him is that he is a classical winger - right foot and right side. With most teams looking to sign inverted wingers he doesn't fit a lot of clubs. However, that is what would, in my opinion, make him a good player for us if he can be had for a cheap price.

So, £12m for Weghorst and £2 - £4m for Wallace ( more than he should cost, but at this stage in the window Millwall will have to be tempted ) and £10-£11m left for a midfielder in Summer. I still think we should have looked at Mikael Uhre who just moved to Philadelphia for £2.3m though.

LaLigaClaret
Been Liked: 191 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by LaLigaClaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:09 pm

I hope the reports in the Irish Sun are not true. They are reporting WW flew into Manchester and left again having not signed for us as talks over his transfer have faltered. CT do you know anything on this ?

tally

Post by tally » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:11 pm

Long Time Lurker

My take on Weghorst exactly as you describe him.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:11 pm

I totally hate transfer windows.
Designed to make agents even richer for doing the next best thing to b"gger all.
Does the game no favours.....
and brings out the worst in so many of us.

brunlea99
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 314 times

Post by brunlea99 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:12 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:58 pm
Don't want to see the Welsh **** on t turf Roberts is enough
This is a shameful, disgraceful comment. Go away and don't come back.

LaLigaClaret

Post by LaLigaClaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:12 pm

Nixon tweet that WW may not be coming !!!

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:14 pm

LaLigaClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:09 pm
I hope the reports in the Irish Sun are not true. They are reporting WW flew into Manchester and left again having not signed for us as talks over his transfer have faltered.
And I hope the Irish SUN is the same as the English SUN... full of shoite :lol:

tally

Post by tally » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:15 pm

aye

dream sare onlyfor dreamers it would appear, Oh well

HahaYeah

Post by HahaYeah » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:15 pm

Nothing in the Irish sun at all about WW.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/82 ... tottenham/

LaLigaClaret

Post by LaLigaClaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:16 pm

Its under the story re Origi !!! Nixon tweet 8.51 pm tonight !!!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5280 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:17 pm

Andreshotboots wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:03 am
Does anybody else have any slight cocncerns as to if we are allegedly in for a player with this sort of price tag, where the money is coming from?
More debt I would imagine

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1231 times

Post by joey13 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:17 pm

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:17 pm

LaLigaClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:12 pm
Nixon tweet that WW may not be coming !!!
No he didn’t

HahaYeah

Post by HahaYeah » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:19 pm

Stand corrected - apologies

Weghorst flew into Manchester but left unsigned and talks faltered — despite Clarets boss Sean Dyche hoping he would agree and get a work permit.

Hope it's just yakker.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:19 pm

Oh dear, looks like Weghorst isn’t happening then? Jeez.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:21 pm

Ah well. On to the next one?

OakworthClaret
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by OakworthClaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:22 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:49 pm
I think it's too early for the knockers to be out.

Over 2 days yet.. Lots can happen
Ooohh eerrr missus

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:23 pm

From sounds of it we are not getting Weghorst either.

brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:27 pm

11:00 30th Jan Dr SM ECG for JA and JL @bacup health centre - do not inform press

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:27 pm

One of my favorite bands is Dire Straits. Love the track Money For Nothing

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:29 pm

Thought he was ready to sign pending a medical CT?

mill hill claret
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by mill hill claret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:33 pm

Mail says he's signing

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:33 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:29 pm
Thought he was ready to sign pending a medical CT?
Daily mail saying it’s going ahead should be complete tomorrow

mill hill claret
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by mill hill claret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:34 pm

After productive talks on Saturday...mail twitter account

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:34 pm

Conflicting reports again. Nixon usually on the money with us.

HahaYeah

Post by HahaYeah » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:34 pm

Daily Mail sounding a bit more positive for us.

Burnley are closing on the £12m transfer of Wout Weghorst from Wolfsburg after productive talks on Saturday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... llion.html
Last edited by HahaYeah on Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:34 pm

If the WW deal has fallen through then I fear we've too much to do in too little time.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3349 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:35 pm

It's all turning to poo!! Why did we ever expect it would be any different????? 🙄