Newcastle United v Burnley match thread

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Re: Newcastle United v Burnley match thread

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:04 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:01 pm
Only asking,
but were you among those who wanted Mike Garlick out?
I don't think I ever got to the stage where I wanted him out, I did always appreciate the "well run" identity we had and the safety net that brought us, but I did get swept along last year with this board when all we heard was that Dyche and Garlick wouldn't even speak to each other anymore and it was turning toxic. It did leave me thinking something had to give.

There are so many versions of what happened over the last few years, from Garlick hoarding all the money to Dyche throwing his toys out of the pram, but I do know we're in a far worse position now when we go down this season.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill Dark Cloud

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2874 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:17 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:20 pm
Fair enough. ;)
Just thinking as I walked the dog, few more games or another ten minutes to catch up to speed, he scores. Encouraging. We all know Jay on his day in form is a special player, or has been; so has he still got it… he showed his reactions are still sharp and he still knows how to bomb in, but can he find his timing and touch; we all know he’s a great lad and no bottler, does he have it in the tank still? Again in that second the reaction was certainly their… over 90 maybe not so much.

So… it depends on your overall view; if he was lucky, his timing was off/ he was to blame for it. I think he showed at least he has a bit of bottle and another day is our hero in that second.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:42 pm

diamondpocket wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:58 pm
I'd love to know who you think will go down then!
Ha ha I have no idea and in truth I don’t care who, I just think there will be at least 3 teams below us, I could be wrong of course it is after all only my opinion

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:46 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:17 pm
Just thinking as I walked the dog, few more games or another ten minutes to catch up to speed, he scores. Encouraging. We all know Jay on his day in form is a special player, or has been; so has he still got it… he showed his reactions are still sharp and he still knows how to bomb in, but can he find his timing and touch; we all know he’s a great lad and no bottler, does he have it in the tank still? Again in that second the reaction was certainly their… over 90 maybe not so much.

So… it depends on your overall view; if he was lucky, his timing was off/ he was to blame for it. I think he showed at least he has a bit of bottle and another day is our hero in that second.
Not specifically aimed at JR, but watch how our strikers work defenders; do they try to pull their marker out of position?
Could JR do a better job than CW presently? Vydra does this, but lacks a finish.
Seriously, I don't know the answers :)

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:57 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:46 pm
Not specifically aimed at JR, but watch how our strikers work defenders; do they try to pull their marker out of position?
Could JR do a better job than CW presently? Vydra does this, but lacks a finish.
Seriously, I don't know the answers :)
That for me is why I would be playing Vydra. People point to his goals (or lack of), but the space Cornet and Vydra create is what makes us look good. Dwight’s struggling for form, his decision making of whack as demonstrated by his choice to shoot rather than stand it up at the back post; so pull the opposition around a bit more and give him that extra millisecond to get it right. Is Jay able to replicate that performance, if so we’ve got to test his legs and give Wood a rest I think… but who knows with Wood, his form is so unpredictable, he could be scoring for fun in a week or two, that is the dilemma. Hope to see some fresh legs in January though. Think the players need a boost, especially given Cornet’s injury and potential spell on the sidelines.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:11 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:14 pm
Yes there was no challenge, Pope fell on top of a Newcastle player and dropped the ball, the Newcastle player wasn't even looking at Pope nevermind challenging for the ball.
Just seen it on the highlights and I do think certain other teams would have benefitted from a free kick for a foul on the keeper, but your right, Pope misjudged that and fell on the player. Fine margins though, on another day Pope keeps hold of that and nothing comes of it
This user liked this post: KRBFC

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:34 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:56 pm
There is but not on that display we won't I'm afraid.
No, not on that display but it's better be in trouble this time of year then later. We have a chance to turn it around. There's a lot more points to play for.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:54 pm

Dreadful result. We deserve to go down. We haven’t looked like comfortably winning a game all season bar Brentford. We don’t even look like grinding out wins. It’s hard to see what will change. Our run of form is horrific. Will the new owners just accept this limply ?

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:00 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:57 pm
That for me is why I would be playing Vydra. People point to his goals (or lack of), but the space Cornet and Vydra create is what makes us look good. Dwight’s struggling for form, his decision making of whack as demonstrated by his choice to shoot rather than stand it up at the back post; so pull the opposition around a bit more and give him that extra millisecond to get it right. Is Jay able to replicate that performance, if so we’ve got to test his legs and give Wood a rest I think… but who knows with Wood, his form is so unpredictable, he could be scoring for fun in a week or two, that is the dilemma. Hope to see some fresh legs in January though. Think the players need a boost, especially given Cornet’s injury and potential spell on the sidelines.
I think showing Wood he is not an automatic and benching him, will help him rediscover his appetite

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:10 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:00 pm
I think showing Wood he is not an automatic and benching him, will help him rediscover his appetite
Not arguing. I think Wood would be first to admit his not really at it, though I doubt it’s a matter of appetite so much as belief.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:13 pm

If we play two up front it needs to be Jay n Wood. Vydra has no confidence and has potentially lost us 7 points in the last 3 games

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:25 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:13 pm
If we play two up front it needs to be Jay n Wood. Vydra has no confidence and has potentially lost us 7 points in the last 3 games
what a load of crap. Blaming lost points in our previous 3 games is down to one guy. Yeah, right.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:34 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:34 pm
No, not on that display but it's better be in trouble this time of year then later. We have a chance to turn it around. There's a lot more points to play for.
We do but whereas in previous seasons I've always fancied us to turn the corner after a bad run, I have my doubts this time, this campaign has all the same signs as 14/15 when we struggled to score goals or win games, and ultimately ended up just short despite the odd great result during that campaign.

I sincerely hope to be proven wrong, and if in a few months we're starting to move away from the bottom 3 I'll be the first to be happy, but something doesn't feel right this season, perhaps father time catching up with a number of the squad, and injuries to key players, Cornet & Mee 2 notably haven't helped our cause thus far.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:42 pm

diamondpocket wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:25 pm
what a load of crap. Blaming lost points in our previous 3 games is down to one guy. Yeah, right.
Potentially- look the word up

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:02 pm

I listened to the commentary, on a drive down to Portsmouth. For the first twenty to thirty minutes, the co-commentator (Dean Saunders) was raving about Wood and the problems we were causing Newcastle - only a matter of time until they score.

There have been too many occasions this season where we’ve not taken advantage of the periods where we have been on top (there have been a good few such periods across games).

I’ve banged on about it for years and particularly last summer - you have to have a decent enough midfield. We just don’t have that, it’s been an obviously growing problem for too long. Brownhill wasn’t the solution.

Although I expected spells where our strikers struggled, I certainly didn’t expect such poor returns and in truth, poor displays.

Something just isn’t working and we’ve a major fight on our hands. An OK summer window needs to be followed up by a much, much better January one and hope that they hit the ground running.

As it stands, I don’t have much confidence in survival, this year.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:38 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:03 pm
You can't be unlucky when off side, its poor positioning
From the freeze frame - I’d question whether Jay Rod was actually offside - you can’t see the defender’s knee, which may have played him onside.
IMG_4503.jpg
IMG_4503.jpg (155.56 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:00 am

Zlatan wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:38 pm
From the freeze frame - I’d question whether Jay Rod was actually offside - you can’t see the defender’s knee, which may have played him onside.

IMG_4503.jpg
You've got a point there. When I saw it on YouTube, I thought: offside. But maybe it wasn't.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:51 am

Certainly a close one Zlatan. I’d say marginally off. What was most frustrating about that was he had got in front of his man and didn’t need to move so quickly, he could have held back half a yard and still stuck it away 😭😭

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:09 am

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:42 pm
Potentially- look the word up
So you don't know then. So why even mention it when it's just a 'maybe'?
As I said, nonsense comment and so unfair to even suggest that Vyds has 'potentially' lost us points.
Wood has a chance where he swivelled with his left foot, like at Utd a few years ago, and didn't connect. That was a cracking chance if he had connected, just as good as Vyds'. I'd say he has had more influence on losing points than Vyds seeing as he's been on the field of play for more minutes and had better chances.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:09 am

Zlatan wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:38 pm

IMG_4503.jpg
Hi Zlatan, we can see most of the defender and all of "most of the defender" is further back that Jay Rod. I'm pretty sure that the defender's physique is similar to all the other players on the pitch, so no doubt his knee is also behind Jay Rod. On this occasion, offside is the right decision.

We go again.

UTC