Is Dyche Safe?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Re: Is Dyche Safe?

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:33 pm

I think the way the squad is structured its unlikely a change in manager will make any difference to how we approach games, and that if us and SD decide to part ways, then the only time to do that would be at the end of a season, giving enough time for the successor to change personnel, tactics, training etc

Course, I might well be wrong, and this team just needs a new boss with a vision and we could go on a run

End of the day, its an issue for the chairman and the board
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:44 pm

Peter Loo wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:44 pm
If the questioned means is he safe from the sack from this board then I would say most definitely not, simply becuase if your going to sack someone then you must be very sure of replacing them with someone better.

I don't think they can replace SD and his team with someone better that's why he is relatively safe.
I can't think of many employment situations where there isn't someone better.
It's often a case of actually looking ;)

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:48 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:44 pm
I can't think of many employment situations where there isn't someone better.
It's often a case of actually looking ;)
Yes but your name isn’t Pace is it.. or is it :D

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:13 pm

Peter Loo wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:48 pm
Yes but your name isn’t Pace is it.. or is it :D
:!: :?: ;)

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:48 pm

Was it Harold Wilson who said something along the lines of 'a month being a long time in politics. I ask because the same applies to professional football. It is barely a few weeks a go that we were urging the Chairman to give SD a new long term contract and how , when it happened, it was being hailed on here as the best news the club had had in recent years. Not a single dissenting voice that I can recall Fast forward a few months and nearly everyone on here is shouting for his Head.
A month from now things can look a lot better. Perhaps some of those dodgy decisions that have cost us a fair number of points can go in our favour for a change.

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:54 pm

claret59 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:48 pm
Was it Harold Wilson who said something along the lines of 'a month being a long time in politics. I ask because the same applies to professional football. It is barely a few weeks a go that we were urging the Chairman to give SD a new long term contract and how , when it happened, it was being hailed on here as the best news the club had had in recent years. Not a single dissenting voice that I can recall Fast forward a few months and nearly everyone on here is shouting for his Head.
A month from now things can look a lot better. Perhaps some of those dodgy decisions that have cost us a fair number of points can go in our favour for a change.
It was “ A week is a long time in politics” so close then.

Shaggy
Been Liked: 389 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Shaggy » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:59 pm

claret59 wrote:
We’ve had quite a lot of key moments go against us this season, but in the past we’ve rode our luck quite a bit, and perhaps that is the only difference in our results. Pure old luck.
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:01 pm

claret59 wrote:
Nearly everyone on here shouting for his head?

What complete and utter nonsense.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:15 pm

Our most successful manager for over 50 years and people want him out.

Give your heads a communal wobble.
These 2 users liked this post: tiger76 fidelcastro

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by leelad » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:36 am

Alan Pace has gone on record with his admiration and support for what Sean has done at the club, so I can't them performing a U turn on this. The pressure for change will come from the supporters and how much longer they can tolerate poor performances, if they continue to happen. We have to be in touch with 17th place by Christmas and into January. We don't want to be cut adrift before then. A couple of seasons ago, we played West Ham at home which marked the turning point in that particular season. Let's hope that lightning strikes twice. And the Watford game will be important too. So yes Sean is safe....for now.

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:03 am

There is tons of historical evidence showing many managers who had record success at a club having absolutely terrible runs before being pushed by the board! Managers have a sell-by date!
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:18 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:15 pm

To be fair Ringo, Leicester won the premier league and sacked the manager 6 months later. It happens all the time.

I don’t think many on this page have actively said they want him out?

Sleeping Cat
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Sleeping Cat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:38 am

The best person to get us out of this position is Sean Dyche.

As JohnMcGreal said though "2. The financial security of the club is now almost completely dependent on retaining our PL status." and I do wonder if, despite all the open praise in the media and the awarding of a lucrative 4 year contract if ALK may get a bit panicked the longer this goes on. The threat of relegation is a serious threat not just to our club because of the financial situation, but also to their sports investment business and it's revenue, which is the reason they bought our club in the first place.

Paddy1882
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Paddy1882 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:00 am

Think we missed a trick not making the most out of Tony loughlan departing. That was the chance to bring in a new coach, with new ideas, new training sessions etc and someone who maybe has a different view or sees what’s happening in a game in a differently to Sean.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:08 am

Sleeping Cat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:38 am
The best person to get us out of this position is Sean Dyche.

As JohnMcGreal said though "2. The financial security of the club is now almost completely dependent on retaining our PL status." and I do wonder if, despite all the open praise in the media and the awarding of a lucrative 4 year contract if ALK may get a bit panicked the longer this goes on. The threat of relegation is a serious threat not just to our club because of the financial situation, but also to their sports investment business and it's revenue, which is the reason they bought our club in the first place.
Totally agree with this.

Firstly, without a doubt I believe Sean Dyche is the best person to get us out of the current position. It's not looking good though. I'm worried, but had we won at Newcastle, and we should have done, then it would have looked much better. I accept that 'should have won' is not winning and we're not winning games.

As for the current financial situation. I believe we could be in serious trouble should we go down because, and despite what might have been said by the new chairman, the model is surely dependent on us being a Premier League club. I worry what might happen should we be relegated in terms of the overall club.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:10 am

Paddy1882 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:00 am
Think we missed a trick not making the most out of Tony loughlan departing. That was the chance to bring in a new coach, with new ideas, new training sessions etc and someone who maybe has a different view or sees what’s happening in a game in a differently to Sean.
A new coach with new ideas? When all we had to do was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpjF1qtpt0

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:21 am

The lack of wins is now a major problem, too many near misses as at Newcastle and v Crystal Palace mean warning lights are flashing loud and clear. We don’t look like winning and created few chances against both Wolves and Newcastle, their goalkeepers were seldom tested and the “slow start to the season” continues right up to Xmas. Turnaround can’t come fast enough.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 313 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:55 am

I think the major problem is now the four year contract which various people and trolls were crowing about at the time. (slow hand clap)

Doesn't look such a smart move now does it?

As good as Dyche has been for us summer would have been a perfect time to try some new ideas and a new manager, now they face the prospect of a massive compo payout, if only they would have waited a few months to see how the season went up till Christmas.

Im guessing we can sever ties with no compo should we go down but obv thats just a guess.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:59 am

When he was on a rolling 12 month contract it was because he wasn't committed and we had whinging.

Had they have waited until his contract was nearly up and another team took him there would be whinging about that.

He signs a new deal and guess what we have whinging.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:07 pm

I haven't seen many people call for Dyche to go, I wouldn't be against a full rebuild at the end of the season but that doesn't mean I'm Dyche out, just I'd be excited to potentially see something else.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:43 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:58 pm
It's amazing that BFC were even professional before Dyche came along. He is the start and end of the club.
I was just thinking recently about his standing at the club and it is quite interesting. The club had a long and far more successful history prior to him arriving and will no doubt continue to exist long after he’s gone. He has done a relatively good job, relative being the operative word. He’s won two promotions: good. He’s got us into Europe : good. He’s been good for the club at this point in history but I think sometimes we slightly overstate what he’s achieved. He has been the right man for the job yes and I’d like to see him stay, at least for a while longer, but he is not, as some think, our greatest ever manager. And his biggest failing has been the way he has treated anything that isn’t the PL.
I’m not criticising him, I’m a big fan, but I do think sometimes his almost Godlike status is somewhat overstated. I can only conclude that many fans have only lived through the lean years and thus it is fine for them to see him the way they do, and that is natural. But many of us older fans can remember much better times than we have now when Dyche was just a twinkle in the milkman’s eye. One of the few good things about being older is that you get a chance to put things into perspective. The lean years were a very short period in our otherwise reasonably successful existence and we should be careful of defining the club by those really few short years.
One of the phrases I see used quite a lot is ‘little old Burnley’. I hate that term. They didn’t say that when along with Spurs and Wolves we were for a while ‘the big three’. Burnley is a small town and as far as support goes we are small, but our history is not at all small and our achievements over the years have been far from small. Those glory days may never return but who knows, you can just never tell these things.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:04 am

SD has admitted himself in the past that football is a results business, results aren't coming, they need to change and change very quickly. New and better players are needed at the start not the end of the transfer window.
I'm still confident in SD turning us around if he has the right tools for the job.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:13 am

houseboy wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:43 pm
I was just thinking recently about his standing at the club and it is quite interesting. The club had a long and far more successful history prior to him arriving and will no doubt continue to exist long after he’s gone. He has done a relatively good job, relative being the operative word. He’s won two promotions: good. He’s got us into Europe : good. He’s been good for the club at this point in history but I think sometimes we slightly overstate what he’s achieved. He has been the right man for the job yes and I’d like to see him stay, at least for a while longer, but he is not, as some think, our greatest ever manager. And his biggest failing has been the way he has treated anything that isn’t the PL.
I’m not criticising him, I’m a big fan, but I do think sometimes his almost Godlike status is somewhat overstated. I can only conclude that many fans have only lived through the lean years and thus it is fine for them to see him the way they do, and that is natural. But many of us older fans can remember much better times than we have now when Dyche was just a twinkle in the milkman’s eye. One of the few good things about being older is that you get a chance to put things into perspective. The lean years were a very short period in our otherwise reasonably successful existence and we should be careful of defining the club by those really few short years.
One of the phrases I see used quite a lot is ‘little old Burnley’. I hate that term. They didn’t say that when along with Spurs and Wolves we were for a while ‘the big three’. Burnley is a small town and as far as support goes we are small, but our history is not at all small and our achievements over the years have been far from small. Those glory days may never return but who knows, you can just never tell these things.

Football has changed so much since everything in your post. You mention us, Wolves and Spurs - none of those get near to winning things and the other 2 have far more resources than we do. It is madness to think we should still be held by others and ourselves as anything like we were 60 year ago. There is not even a hint of understanding of what we are competing against in this division. There are now 2 teams in this division with the financial backing of a whole country and that is ignoring Chelsea and the dodgy Russian money, Man Utd, Liverpool.

You would have to be best part of 70 year old to have watched and understood what was going on in the early 60s. If you think we did anything like what we have done recently in the 70s 80s 90s 00s 10s then you are crazy.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:19 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:13 am
Football has changed so much since everything in your post. You mention us, Wolves and Spurs - none of those get near to winning things and the other 2 have far more resources than we do. It is madness to think we should still be held by others and ourselves as anything like we were 60 year ago. There is not even a hint of understanding of what we are competing against in this division. There are now 2 teams in this division with the financial backing of a whole country and that is ignoring Chelsea and the dodgy Russian money, Man Utd, Liverpool.

You would have to be best part of 70 year old to have watched and understood what was going on in the early 60s. If you think we did anything like what we have done recently in the 70s 80s 90s 00s 10s then you are crazy.
It’s a shame you don’t understand what I am saying. I was painting the bigger picture and putting Dyches achievements into perspective. I wasn’t putting down what he’s done and never would I. I am neither lacking in understanding of the modern game nor am I, as you strangely put it, ‘crazy’. I am aware of our more recent past and indeed that of Spurs and Wolves and none of us are to be greatly feared but the point I was making was simply that Dyche is NOT the best manager we’ve ever had. It’s also a shame that you have to resort to insult to try to make your point. Failing to understand what I was saying doesn’t mean you have to resort to personal insult.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:56 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:18 am
To be fair Ringo, Leicester won the premier league and sacked the manager 6 months later. It happens all the time.

I don’t think many on this page have actively said they want him out?
I take your point and , fair play, you made it well. 👏

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:10 am

As safe as houses which doesn't mean he might not leave
but that'll be at the end of the season at the earliest.
I don't think a new coach/system would make too much difference
nor a new manager.
Dyche is doing the best he can given the fact that we're 2-3 premiership quality players
short of being a decent mid-table team.

Can he (and the players) manage to keep us up?

I wouldn't wish to speculate.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:13 am

He's as safe as Boris Johnson is

oh, bad example

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:21 am

I trust ALK to make the right decision on this either way. There’s a lot at stake for them if we lose our PL status. One win in isolation won’t cut it now as we need a run of good results.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:35 am

If we do go down i can't think of a better manager to bring us straight back up.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:28 am

2 attempts at getting us out of the Championship, successful both times. I despise our style of play most weeks but you'd have rocks in your head to not want him to stay (if he wants to)

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:57 am

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:55 am
I think the major problem is now the four year contract which various people and trolls were crowing about at the time. (slow hand clap)

Doesn't look such a smart move now does it?

As good as Dyche has been for us summer would have been a perfect time to try some new ideas and a new manager, now they face the prospect of a massive compo payout, if only they would have waited a few months to see how the season went up till Christmas.

Im guessing we can sever ties with no compo should we go down but obv thats just a guess.
So if reports that he's on around 60k a week are correct, and even if you looked at him having 3 years left it's still 9 million left on he's contract, what would be the best case scenario in terms of finance that the owners could expect should they send him on his way, just interested in people's thoughts ? Personally I'd think he would drive a pretty hard bargain.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:12 am

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:57 am
So if reports that he's on around 60k a week are correct, and even if you looked at him having 3 years left it's still 9 million left on he's contract, what would be the best case scenario in terms of finance that the owners could expect should they send him on his way, just interested in people's thoughts ? Personally I'd think he would drive a pretty hard bargain.
Isn’t his salary in the 120k a week bracket?

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:15 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:12 am
Isn’t his salary in the 120k a week bracket?
Doubt that very much

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:33 am

taio wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:15 am
Doubt that very much
He was reportedly on 70k on his old contract.

https://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/how-mu ... 5hwuu0med5

Trying to find a rough number for his new one

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:48 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:33 am
He was reportedly on 70k on his old contract.

https://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/how-mu ... 5hwuu0med5

Trying to find a rough number for his new one
Yes was aware of his previous contract. But can't see it being £120k a week now - where is that figure from?

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:52 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:28 am
2 attempts at getting us out of the Championship, successful both times. I despise our style of play most weeks but you'd have rocks in your head to not want him to stay (if he wants to)
2 very different situations, though. and the first was largely with Eddie the Antichrist's squad.

TBH, if we get relegated there aren't too many of our current squad who would be up to the rigours of a Championship season.
We'd have to rebuild, and at greater expense, IMO, than what we would need to in order to have a chance of staying up.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:57 pm

I want Sean Dyche to stay but if, as the season pans out, it’s looking more and more likely that we’ll be relegated then I hope ALK and Sean Dyche have an open discussion about whether he actually wants another crack at the Championship. If he doesn’t 100% fancy it then it would surely make more sense to get a new man in sooner rather than later, even if that is before the end of the season.

We’re going to win today, though. UTC.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:59 am

Well I guess we have our answer.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1356 times
Has Liked: 2918 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:17 am

Probably not.

atlantalad
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by atlantalad » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:23 pm

I think it will be. Just needs a bit of gold paint and squeeze in an extra "d". As Sean says, maximum effort and small margins. Hence, The Royal Dyched will ultimately still survive as a pre/post match watering hole.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 313 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:29 pm

Very safe , millions in the bank in his big house down south now we get back to our core values playing decent football on the floor and bringing youth through it’s the only way we can move forward really