Safe Standing / Unsafe Standing

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Safe Standing / Unsafe Standing

Post by MT03ALG » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:57 pm

Government Policy seems to be on course to bring in Safe Standing at last. However, it also seems to be Government Policy to allow Unsafe Standing, especially for away fans in most stadia. At Newcastle I arrived in good time at the stadium so that I was able to use the lift (unlike Tony!). I had a good seat and an excellent view of the pitch until just before kick-off when a group of fans arrived late and occupied the row of seats in front of me. After reading the comments on the Smoke Bomb thread, I now realise that it is possible that these fans might have been unable to locate their actual seats.There were certainly more fans than seats so they obviously had to stand and refused to sit down. Therefore I was unable to use my seat, for which I had paid, if I wished to see the game. At half-time I asked the Stewards if I could use a seat on the platform area which they allowed and hence I had the problem in the second half with the smoke bomb (see Smoke Bomb thread). I know that many fans prefer to stand at football matches and in Germany, for example, both home and away fans are given the option of purchasing tickets for seating or standing areas. In England just about all stewards seem to allow away fans in particular to stand despite this being against the law. In my opinion it is unsafe to allow fans to stand in front of their seats especially at places like Newcastle where the away fans are on the seventh tier of the stadium. It seems that only a tragedy of a fan falling out of the stand would make the Government enforce the law. The fact that small children especially are unable to see the game seems to be irrelevant. After the game at Newcastle I decided against purchasing tickets for the away games at Manchester United and Leeds United where there could be problems with fan behaviour and I anticipate the away fans would not be able to use their seats. Instead, I will support local football such as Barnoldswick Town, Colne F.C. or enjoy a day out at Grassington to watch Upper Wharfedale play rugby union. I do not intend to hide behind the curtains as suggested by a Burnley fan on the Smoke Bomb thread!!
These 2 users liked this post: Woodleyclaret Bosscat

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Re: Safe Standing / Unsafe Standing

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:08 pm

We watched a splendid 3 -3 at Newcastle but spoiled by pillocks standing even though they were on the front row! Not giving a stuff to those who view they blocked.
We have stopped attending away games now as this selfish behaviour has spoiled our away days.Using 15 yr old a stewards also compounds the issue further.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat MT03ALG

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:09 pm

Thankfully, the Government are doing something and proper trialling of safe standing will start next month at four Premier League grounds and one Championship ground. The problem we currently have has worsened to the point where stewards would be facing a losing battle if they tried to do anything about it.

We, Burnley FC Supporters Groups, have a safe standing working group which will work alongside the FSA & other supporters groups although immediately we will have to watch from afar with Burnley declining to put themselves forward for the trial. I think, for now, we can only wait and see how the trial goes at those five grounds but hopefully it will lead to widespread safe standing areas at grounds which, in turn, will allow for supporters who wish to sit, to do so.

See
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58143
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:18 pm

There was plenty of unsafe standing in the away end at Newcastle, up to 20 youths in front of me in space for 3/4 seats.

Targetman
Been Liked: 502 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:32 pm

Anyone know why Newcastle are still being given dispensation regarding away fans not being sited at pitch level, as is the regulation for away fans in the Premier League?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:57 pm

Targetman wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:32 pm
Anyone know why Newcastle are still being given dispensation regarding away fans not being sited at pitch level, as is the regulation for away fans in the Premier League?
The regulation is that a club must provide some seating at pitch level so they could, if needed, get round it by giving us one row at the front. However, the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) at Newcastle had safety concerns because they wouldn't be able to keep the two sets of fans separated on exit should away fans be coming out of a lower tier. We could all see that issue on Saturday as we left. The Premier League are not in a position to go against any decisions made by the SAG.

Targetman

Post by Targetman » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:57 pm
The regulation is that a club must provide some seating at pitch level so they could, if needed, get round it by giving us one row at the front. However, the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) at Newcastle had safety concerns because they wouldn't be able to keep the two sets of fans separated on exit should away fans be coming out of a lower tier. We could all see that issue on Saturday as we left. The Premier League are not in a position to go against any decisions made by the SAG.
Yes I saw that on Saturday but Newcastle previously housed away fans at pitch level behind the corner flag to the left of where we were on Saturday.

I'm sure that quite a number of the larger clubs could also cite that as a potential problem with their exits but do seem to manage that situation.

Maybe Newcastle don't want away fans sitting in seats where they can charge their own fans more than £30 to sit in that area?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:11 pm

Targetman wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:45 pm
Yes I saw that on Saturday but Newcastle previously housed away fans at pitch level behind the corner flag to the left of where we were on Saturday.

I'm sure that quite a number of the larger clubs could also cite that as a potential problem with their exits but do seem to manage that situation.

Maybe Newcastle don't want away fans sitting in seats where they can charge their own fans more than £30 to sit in that area?
It’s a long time ago since away fans were in a different area.

Targetman

Post by Targetman » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:18 pm

Yes it was a long time ago.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:33 pm

In German stadia you are allowed to drink beer etc. (and to smoke) at your seat or on the terraces. This does not normally cause any problems. Having observed the behaviour of some fans, I fear that allowing beer in the stands or on the terraces in England might lead to some very wet people, especially after the scoring of a goal. The Germans have also invented an excellent hard plastic beer beaker with an interlocking handle which allows you to carry a few drinks in one hand !!

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 3288 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:55 pm

Well with our strikers we wouldn't get too drenched 🤣🤣
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat MT03ALG

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:57 pm
But in actual fact, they don't do it because they don't want to. Newcastle that is, not SAG.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:16 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:08 pm
We watched a splendid 3 -3 at Newcastle but spoiled by pillocks standing even though they were on the front row! Not giving a stuff to those who view they blocked.
We have stopped attending away games now as this selfish behaviour has spoiled our away days.Using 15 yr old a stewards also compounds the issue further.
When you are unable to go to the ticket office and request specific seats issues like this will arise
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:33 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:19 pm
But in actual fact, they don't do it because they don't want to. Newcastle that is, not SAG.
It was the SAG at Newcastle that would not support the moving of the away fans.