Nail your colours to the mast

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jos
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 304 times

Re: Nail your colours to the mast

Post by jos » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:21 pm

In defence of SD, you can only play the game with the asset’s at your disposal, and currently he hasn’t many options that enable us to compete at this level.

I can’t see us surviving this season, but if we could refresh the squad with a talented youthful squad in the championship then SD is the man to bring us back.

It might be more than a season to create this new team. But remember there’s a huge gulf between these leagues.

UTC

kindonesque
Been Liked: 118 times

Post by kindonesque » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:26 pm

It's Pace who needs to show his colours now.
Let's see if the guy is really going to back the boss.
He talks the talk but but does he walk the walk and I don't mean up just up Pendle Hill?
This user liked this post: bf2k

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:41 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:03 pm
A vote for Mr D and the squad.
If you really believe in this squad then you clearly didn’t watch the game today, or if you did you had some heavily tinted clarets specs on. This team of players is embarrassing.
As a manger Dyche has to motivate the squad, not Pace, not Woan, not Ben Mee, the buck stops with Dyche. The squad shows today they don’t care, and Dyche has to take the rap for that. It isn’t 2014,2016 or 2018 anymore. I think everyone is living in the past when it comes to Dyche and his players.
This user liked this post: BLH_Claret

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:41 pm

kindonesque wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:26 pm
He talks the talk but but does he walk the walk and I don't mean up just up Pendle Hill?
We can't spend too much. They don't actually have the money.

So whatever we do it will be more of the same from summer really. Whi h was decent enough but actually it's a lot to rebuild.

I'm beginning to wonder if relegation is part of planB for this Board with a view to rebuild in the lower league

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 700 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:37 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:41 pm
We can't spend too much. They don't actually have the money.

So whatever we do it will be more of the same from summer really. Whi h was decent enough but actually it's a lot to rebuild.

I'm beginning to wonder if relegation is part of planB for this Board with a view to rebuild in the lower league
We don't have a plan B.

We only have plan A which is 442 & boot it long for Wood to jump, thats where plan A ends.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 835 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:39 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:14 pm
I don't think we'll stay up. Our points per game tally over that last 12 months has been woeful, and the change in form would have to be astronomic.

I've always said that Dyche deserves another go at getting us out of the Championship should we go down, but now I'm also in two minds about that.
I think he’s smarter than that though. It’s not going to hurt his reputation much if Burnley go down, but it certainly will if we don’t go back up. I think he’ll find a way to engineer a mutual release because he won’t want to blot the copybook.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:39 pm

As per November, we are down IMO, a out of the blue win v Brentford, nor a battering v Leeds reserves will change that.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:45 pm

Whilst I believe in Dyche, to also believe in the squad would be hypocritical. The fact is we have had a poor 12 months. It's either down to the players, or the management, or both. Yes, Dyche can be criticised, but it's clear he has been frustrated with regards to recruitment. He can only work with what he's got. On our day we've looked good at times, but too often we've given away sloppy goals, or missed easy chances. I do struggle to see how, with our limited squad, we should be expecting much more. Other than Cornet, we basically haven't definitively improved our starting XI since 2017/18

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:58 pm

Scenario 1. We sign 2 real quality (and expensive by our standards!) midfield players in January and we stay up by a whisker with the rest of the current squad.
Scenario 2. We don't and we're as good as down by the end of February.
Either way I stick with Dyche IF he wants it and IF I believe his heart is still in us.
This user liked this post: Conroysleftfoot

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:28 pm

For the first time since we came up, I'm convinced time is up. They have to win games like this but, these days, seem incapable of doing so. Losing to Newcastle and then a depleted Leeds are 2 body blows this lot won't recover from. Once they go down, the interest payments and wage bill will kill the parachute payments and they haven't got the funds left to freshen the squad to go back up. SD won't get his £3m bonus, but I'm sure he couldn't give a toss, whereas the town will.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:29 pm

The OP asks a good question. My answer is simple, in January every year we decide on how we are going to pay for the Early Bird Renewal Price for our 2 season tickets when it is advertised. Normally goes along the lines of busy Christmas, lets put one on the credit card and pay outright for the other.
This year we have had the conversation.
"Season Ticket for next year are you joking" end of conversation, we didn't even get to how much do you think it will be. So we have nailed our colours to the mast, we will select games next season.

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:41 pm

The sentiment has been building for a while but I would fully support a change in manager now. The football is turgid, we aren’t getting results and the squad is beyond past-it.

Dyche will go down as the best manager we’ve had in my lifetime and has worked miracles in the past, but we are crying out for a fresh approach. He’s had more time than anyone else would have to turn it around, and he’s failed.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:51 pm

Sitck with Sean Dyche , quite how the anti dyche brigade think there's some mystic man out there that can somehow transform our fortunes seems ludicrous.
Dyche has built us up, kept us up, and without any shadow of doubt has done it on a shoestring comparatively.
Also, why do fans on here assume they are qualified to criticise his tactics and formations and selections ?
Presumably they were happy enough when he masterminded our championship win, or was that just a fluke?
Our small squad needs improving as all clubs have to do, but any potential replacement will be restricted as Sean Dyche has been. there clearly isnt a war chest to dip into whenever a window opens, so any successor would face all the same issues. I would rather drop and see a fightback under the present management than have some newcomer take the reins just because some supporters are becoming impatient. Its madness to think otherwise.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:07 pm

I think we will go down unless we immediately do something radical with the team selection. It is not too late.
More energy in the legs on the field is urgently required.
For me Collins and Roberts need to come in now and Cornet has to avoid injury while he is playing international football. If McNeill isn’t sold I think he will benefit from players around him who are strong runners.
I’ve not written Stephens off as I think he can improve on what we’ve got and would pair him with another energetic player already on the books, Brownhill .
It’s no longer good enough picking players because they are good at taking corners or have been good in the past.
Obviously a good energetic signing on a par with the ones we bought in the summer would also be helpful as would Pace introducing a new position at the club to remove some of the power Dyche holds.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

claretabroad
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by claretabroad » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:26 pm

I can't see a way to turn this around with this group of players. A couple of astute signings in this window might give us a small chance but I suspect it will be too little too late.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:29 pm

We are going down and with an absolute whimper.
I’m very much torn with Dyche. As all I appreciate all he’s done and understand he’s arguably the man to ge thus back up however this we are awful and in truth have been awful for a long time now and he is not changing. Something had to give this can’t carry on.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by Aclaret » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:32 pm

Lots of words spoken, theories, changing the manager, bad tactics etc.
To put it in simple terms, if we don't buy some better players this window, then we go down.
SD keeps banging on about his faith in these players but games are running out.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:36 pm

He stays for me, can’t say I’d lose to much sleep if he was to go, but I wouldn’t want him to (if that makes sense)

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:42 pm

After 10 years I thought this summer would have been a good time for both parties to go their separate ways. The new contract was a big mistake IMO.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:44 pm

I'm massively torn. Half of me is sick to the back teeth of the football we are now serving up and i went with that whilst it was getting results but now it isn't. It is total ineffective garbage.
The other half remembers the football we played to get out of the Championship..so i know Dyche is capable of it but he is hamstrung by the players he has ended up with in an attempt to stay in the Prem. The fact half the team is out of contract means we can rebuild and he has shown with Cornet and Collins that he can spot a player if he has the money.
This user liked this post: Cubanforever

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:46 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:42 pm
After 10 years I thought this summer would have been a good time for both parties to go their separate ways. The new contract was a big mistake IMO.
In hindsight yes that was a mistake, and now AP has backed himself into a corner, unless of course there's small print in the said contract.

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:58 pm

I put 95% of the blame on recruitment and barely 5% on Dyche. No other manager would do any better with our limited, ageing, slow squad. He should stay until the end of the season.

But if we go down with a whimper he should go. You can't win 3 or 4 games a season (if we're lucky) and then expect to win week in week out in the Championship. Fresh start needed.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:07 pm

No other manager would give us a better chance of staying up and currently we have as good a chance of staying up as we had in other seasons we have stayed up. Keep the faith.

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:12 pm

Agreed Hibsclaret, 1 win in 17 is horrific but now it's about doing better than the other three around us.

We're not half way through the season but we have to start doing it rather than talking about it and pretty quickly.

DuckworthsEA
Been Liked: 45 times

Post by DuckworthsEA » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:26 pm

It’s the lack of investment in players that can improve our first 11, for the past 2/3 seasons that’s catching up with us.

It’s understandable that people want a scape goat after todays performance. It was disappointing to say the least, especially since none of us have seen our side win, live, more than 1 Premier League game in nearly 18 months.

For those that are turning on Dyche, the man that’s let’s be honest, is the main reason we are in the position we are, consider that you can’t place the blame on the lack of players that improve our first 11 on his shoulders.

It’s his job to get the best out of the team, absolutely, however what else can he get out of the likes of Cork, Westwood, Lowton, JBG. People turn on Wood constantly but the service he receives is terrible. There is a reason 4/6 Max’s goals are screamers.

A small amount of investment has been made and look at the difference one man, Cornet can make. We need 2/3 players that can walk into the first team in January or we are down. If/When we go down I’d 100% back Dyche to take us back up but again only if we add some quality to the side. That’s the boards job, come up with the funds and back The Manager.

If the funds are not there then sell Tarks for whatever you can get, McNeil can go and replace him with someone that will give 100%. If Mee won’t sign a new deal then off he goes and get someone in that wants to give everything for the shirt as I haven’t seen that in both the last two games from either three.

I’m sticking with Dyche and fingers crossed we get some quality through the door.

Up the clarets.
These 3 users liked this post: Cubanforever Vegas Claret Cirrus_Minor

Cubanforever
Been Liked: 222 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by Cubanforever » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:33 pm

DuckworthsEA wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:26 pm
It’s the lack of investment in players that can improve our first 11, for the past 2/3 seasons that’s catching up with us.

It’s understandable that people want a scape goat after todays performance. It was disappointing to say the least, especially since none of us have seen our side win, live, more than 1 Premier League game in nearly 18 months.

For those that are turning on Dyche, the man that’s let’s be honest, is the main reason we are in the position we are, consider that you can’t place the blame on the lack of players that improve our first 11 on his shoulders.

It’s his job to get the best out of the team, absolutely, however what else can he get out of the likes of Cork, Westwood, Lowton, JBG. People turn on Wood constantly but the service he receives is terrible. There is a reason 4/6 Max’s goals are screamers.

A small amount of investment has been made and look at the difference one man, Cornet can make. We need 2/3 players that can walk into the first team in January or we are down. If/When we go down I’d 100% back Dyche to take us back up but again only if we add some quality to the side. That’s the boards job, come up with the funds and back The Manager.

If the funds are not there then sell Tarks for whatever you can get, McNeil can go and replace him with someone that will give 100%. If Mee won’t sign a new deal then off he goes and get someone in that wants to give everything for the shirt as I haven’t seen that in both the last two games from either three.

I’m sticking with Dyche and fingers crossed we get some quality through the door.

Up the clarets.
Great post

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11048 times
Has Liked: 5657 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:33 pm

kindonesque wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:26 pm
is that the same Alan Pace that flew to France to convince Cornet to sign for us, without whom we would be bottom of the league by now ?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11048 times
Has Liked: 5657 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:34 pm

DuckworthsEA wrote:

Up the clarets.
spot on

xxmunkyennuixx
Been Liked: 74 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by xxmunkyennuixx » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:58 pm

Felt like relegation all season, we just seem doomed. Some OK performances and not picking up results i.e. Leeds at home, Arsenal at home etc. Some awful officiating has cost us as well. We are leaky and don't score enough. We lack pace, physicality and aggression. The squad is too old and there are signs that they aren't putting in effort. Incredibly disappointed by what I saw today. Didn't see Newcastle but today was worse than Norwich at home. They should be nailed to the ******* wall after that shite. **** all fight, we have gone soft.

I would sell Tarky and McNeil this window and get younger, fresher bodies in. Would sell Mee and Wood if we have any takers. Play Collins, Thomas, Roberts and anyone younger we can get our hands on. I would not renew any of the contracts expiring in the summer. Dyche stays. He has to be given the chance to start afresh, Garlick et al caused this not him.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1297 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:10 pm

I stick with Dyche mainly because of what he has done for the club and because he had usually found a way of turning results around, although he is leaving it a bit late now. As has been already said under investment over the last few seasons may be our undoing this time, but the man deserves a chance to try again.

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:20 pm

As angry and frustrated I've been this evening after wasting yet another afternoon and fuel to watch a shambles of a performance, I'd still back SD for now. I'd be very surprised if we stayed up, and after all he's done for us, he deserves the chance to rebuild and get us back up, particularly if he is given some cash to spend and we clear out some dead wood. It's at that point, maybe a few months into the season, if it's not looking good that he would be in the firing line for me. I also think he's enough dignity about him to walk if it got to that point

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2974 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:27 pm

I've stayed off posting so far as I am so upset, annoyed, embarrassed and feel cheated
of any honest endeavour to get a result today.

Having calmed down a little, I would like to nail Garlick to the mast.

That's it from me until tomorrow when, hopefully, I'll feel a little more like being
sensible and less likely to say something I'll regret.

Goodnight everyone.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1171 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by burnleymik » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:06 am

Dyche to see out the season. It's almost inevitable we are going down as it stands, so it's time to change things up when it's needed, rather than keep trying the same thing that isn't working over and over and over.

Tinker with the formation, give players a run out who haven't really had much of a chance, drop the non-performers and bring in some fresh blood that is good enough to walk straight into the team. Let's go out fighting and trying rather than the way our last few results have gone.

If at the end of the season things are still not working out then time for a fresh approach for our time in the Championship.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8726 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:43 pm

DuckworthsEA wrote:

Up the clarets.
Huh. Typical sensible, supportive, realist post, when the s hit is hitting the fan!

I totally agree.

I would go on to say that we are suffering from teams playing games with the testing/injuries, so they could avoid an in form Burnley, when they were a little short or just happen to be fresh when playing that vital game against a Burnley team having to play 2 matches in days, just after a very long lay-off.

It is possible that we lacked an edge, owing to the 2 games and Leeds were able to remain at full tilt.

I remain committed to the manager/miracle worker and the squad. However, if Ben Mee does not wish to sign a new contract (we do not know this at all) then he should relinquish the captaincy.

I still have faith he and others will give everything for the cause.

Up the Clarets.

Turftalkers mentor
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Turftalkers mentor » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:54 pm

thelaughingclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:41 pm
If you really believe in this squad then you clearly didn’t watch the game today, or if you did you had some heavily tinted clarets specs on. This team of players is embarrassing.
As a manger Dyche has to motivate the squad, not Pace, not Woan, not Ben Mee, the buck stops with Dyche. The squad shows today they don’t care, and Dyche has to take the rap for that. It isn’t 2014,2016 or 2018 anymore. I think everyone is living in the past when it comes to Dyche and his players.
I watched the game and saw a team low on confidence and out of form , yes it needs some investment and yes Sesn Dyche is the man to lead us. What it doesnt need is "fans " like yourself moaning and groaning . We might go down and you have the right not to support the club . I for one will and so will the vast majority of fans UTC

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:20 pm

Sadly I am old enough to remember the 75/76 relegation from the top flight and as things stand this feels quite similar - an ageing squad who arguably over-achieved before the inevitable happened

On a positive note there was no one of Maxwel Cornet's quality around at that time plus I still class Dyche as an elite manager and the infrastructure of the club is the envy of many

There is still hope this season and even if the worst does happen the future proofing carried out over the last eight years is formidable insurance against the kind of decline experienced through the late 70s to 80s
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6881 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:51 pm

Sadly I think we will drop, sell who we can, getcyounger fitter,faster players in and let's see what we can do next season under Dyche.