Why are so many writing our season off

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Re: Why are so many writing our season off

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:48 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:45 am
Ain’t happening come back at the end of season & tell me I’m wrong, you don’t sell your best striker granted he’s off form & expect to stop up, FFS a second string championship side as put us to the sword we got the worse form out of 92 clubs yes 92, the things rotting away if history “what happened previously is irrelevant” does that mean the dropped points this season we’ll suddenly get back to help the cause, history is relevant it’s shaped to where we are now. Like I say tell me I’m wrong at the end of season please do.
I’m not in the prediction game bud and anything can happen, and I mean anything. Just because something has happened doesn’t mean it’s going to keep happening.
And as far as Wood going being some kind of nail in the proverbial coffin I ask you don’t you think that getting ridiculous money for a (currently) non-scoring striker means that just possibly we might get someone better? I’m not dreaming and saying all’s good, it isn’t, but every day is a new day and a new opportunity. I’m sorry bud but you seem to be wanting relegation just so you can say ‘I told you so’. What will be will be but all I am saying is that nobody can predict the future because it hasn’t happened yet, and I don’t believe in fate.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:00 pm

We seemed to have better form the year we went down with SD-tougher to beat at home, and a number of players capable of chipping in with goals. Dare I say it a younger first 11

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:00 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:45 am
Ain’t happening come back at the end of season & tell me I’m wrong, you don’t sell your best striker granted he’s off form & expect to stop up, FFS a second string championship side as put us to the sword we got the worse form out of 92 clubs yes 92, the things rotting away if history “what happened previously is irrelevant” does that mean the dropped points this season we’ll suddenly get back to help the cause, history is relevant it’s shaped to where we are now. Like I say tell me I’m wrong at the end of season please do.
And that post really sums you up. You are desperately wanting us to fail, aren't you?

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:08 pm

Most other fans think we’ll stay up…. But they don’t watch us every week.

I’ll go on, I’ll sing and cheer and support as normal. I just think things have caught up with us, that’s all. No flag waving, no climbing out the trench with my rifle in the air… just staring the facts right in the face and accepting what I think is inevitable.

If you believe that makes me less committed than you, ok. If you think that makes me less of a fan than you, ok.

People have written it off because they know what we are capable of, they now how we are playing, they know who we still have to play and they don’t think we have what’s required anymore. Do they want it to be that way? No of course they don’t. Well, not in the main they don’t, obviously MACCA wants us relegated because he wants us to win more games than we lose, but other than him I’d say we all want another crack at it next year, but there are those of us who think the party is over for now.

We lack goals, we lack a real threat, we can’t/won’t change anything about how we play to try to confuse our opponents, we have no one to come on and change the game, but more importantly than all those things, we currently lack effort, and we have NEVER been able to say that before of a Sean Dyche team. We just LOOK down.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:18 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:00 pm
We seemed to have better form the year we went down with SD-tougher to beat at home, and a number of players capable of chipping in with goals. Dare I say it a younger first 11
Hmm! just browsing our stats, Danny ings top scored with 11, Barnes and Boyd both contributed 5 apiece, but nobody else netted more than 2, Arfield and Mee, however it's fair to say our MF certainly offered more offensively, however our net GD was -25 that season, and we only won 4 at home all season, what killed us in 14/15 was only getting 4 points from our opening 10 matches. after that we improved, but left ourselves far too much of a mountain to climb.

Definitely a younger squad though, only 6 over 30's in that squad compared to the current one which must have more than 6 over 30's surely.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:31 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:18 pm
Hmm! just browsing our stats, Danny ings top scored with 11, Barnes and Boyd both contributed 5 apiece, but nobody else netted more than 2, Arfield and Mee, however it's fair to say our MF certainly offered more offensively, however our net GD was -25 that season, and we only won 4 at home all season, what killed us in 14/15 was only getting 4 points from our opening 10 matches. after that we improved, but left ourselves far too much of a mountain to climb.

Definitely a younger squad though, only 6 over 30's in that squad compared to the current one which must have more than 6 over 30's surely.
I think from memory we also got a few tonkings, however 4 home wins looks good right now

CHEWBACCA
Been Liked: 106 times
Has Liked: 263 times

Post by CHEWBACCA » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:32 pm

The Newcastle game cemented it for me,and the Leeds game totally broke me .
Even earlier on in the season we couldn't beat Norwich,so sad .

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:38 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:31 pm
I think from memory we also got a few tonkings, however 4 home wins looks good right now
Not really only West Brom put 4 past us, and we took 4 points off City that campaign, but we only scored 28 goals, and even this season we seem likely to better that tally.

For all the talk about our home form it's worth mentioning we've not won away since April, and if we could dig a result or two out away from home it wouldn't half ease the burden on our home form.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:39 pm

Spijed wrote:
And that post really sums you up. You are desperately wanting us to fail, aren't you?
No of course not but things aren’t looking good, I don’t really share your misplaced positivity regarding where we are heading.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:37 am

The answer may be in your original title

So many people (inc just about everybody outside of BFC) ARE writing us off, so there may be justifiable reasons be reasons for that scenario

The oldest squad in the league ?

One win so far this season ?

Not even a handful of wins in the whole of 2021 ?

And our No 1 choice striker decides to jump ship ?

Other than that, we are looking good ;)
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:17 am

Spijed wrote:
See the post above this, when you get home from work & you flick the telly on & you see SSN reporting that Diego Carlos might be moving, I’m a realist believe me Newcastle are doing ok as they are they don’t need a extra helping hand from us. It’s not wanting something to happen it’s strongly thinking something will happen.

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:04 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:37 am
The answer may be in your original title

So many people (inc just about everybody outside of BFC) ARE writing us off, so there may be justifiable reasons be reasons for that scenario

The oldest squad in the league ?

One win so far this season ?

Not even a handful of wins in the whole of 2021 ?

And our No 1 choice striker decides to jump ship ?

Other than that, we are looking good ;)
Plus big fixture backlog for a small and aging squad an increasingly disinterested fanbase (myself included)

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:42 pm

Sean Dyche talked about the season we lost to Everton on boxing day as the best achievement of his management career. He said after that game that they "bottom out". They sat down and reassessed the situation and got back to basics and pulled themselves out of trouble.

I hope that going bottom of the table has been a wake up call for them. We've given away too many soft goals where we've been caught in possession at the back but other than that we've conceded fewer goals than every team below 9th. We know that our defense can be even tighter and that will help us pick up points. Where we've been crap is putting it in the back of the net at the other end. Cornet has clearly been the exception to that but if we can add a couple of attacking options before the end of the window then we're in with a shout.

Luckily we only have 1 game before the window closes and hopefully Cornet will be back soon. We can make a go of it if SD can get all the noses pointing in the right direction again. We most definitely can do this but it's going to take a big effort from the players and some smart recruitment before the end of the window.
These 4 users liked this post: leelad DCWat tiger76 k90bfc

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:20 pm

dibraidio wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:42 pm
Sean Dyche talked about the season we lost to Everton on boxing day as the best achievement of his management career. He said after that game that they "bottom out". They sat down and reassessed the situation and got back to basics and pulled themselves out of trouble.

I hope that going bottom of the table has been a wake up call for them. We've given away too many soft goals where we've been caught in possession at the back but other than that we've conceded fewer goals than every team below 9th. We know that our defense can be even tighter and that will help us pick up points. Where we've been crap is putting it in the back of the net at the other end. Cornet has clearly been the exception to that but if we can add a couple of attacking options before the end of the window then we're in with a shout.

Luckily we only have 1 game before the window closes and hopefully Cornet will be back soon. We can make a go of it if SD can get all the noses pointing in the right direction again. We most definitely can do this but it's going to take a big effort from the players and some smart recruitment before the end of the window.
The biggest concern for me is that we’re expecting another miracle from pretty much the same group of players, players that are knocking on, who look a poor imitation of themselves and have had little in the way of a break due to covid, over the last few years.

I know what Dyche’s stance is on player welfare, I agree to an extent, but we’ve flogged a small group of players for too long without bringing in the quality needed to support them. Some blame MG some blame SD, there’s likely merit on both sides - wherever the truth lay, it’s the squad that’s suffered, grown older and become stale.

If Dyche gets us out of this one, he won’t have to worry about one of those wheel of fortune forfeits that they do in training, he’d just walk across the river!

As bad as we have been, as many problems that we have, it is in our hands still.
These 3 users liked this post: k90bfc Winstonswhite boatshed bill

k90bfc
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 5445 times

Post by k90bfc » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:41 pm

We are going to need the 1987,staying in the Football League,mentality,and Every Man Jack,In Burnley and Turf Moor,ALL TOGETHER,WE CAN DO THIS AGAIN,UTC !

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:51 pm

Just look at the table and the stats.
It would take a miracle from where we are now.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1356 times
Has Liked: 2918 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:21 pm

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:37 pm

You could reel a list off the length of your arm it’d be interesting to read reasons from people who still believe we’ll stop up.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:32 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:29 pm
It seems many have already resigned themselves to the drop, despite us being a mere 2 points adrift of Watford, with a game in hand, and still to play them twice, and we also have 2/3 games in hand on Newcastle & Norwich.

Yes we've not been great it's fair to say, and the timing of Chris Wood's departure is far from ideal, but if those funds allow us to get a couple of deals over the line in the next week or two, and we can also pick up points in the 2 upcoming home fixtures with Leicester, and then crucially Watford, and for all the doom and gloom we haven't lost a PL game at TM since September when Arsenal came calling, 4 unbeaten, plus with Cornet back soon, and having already faced a lot of our most difficult games, there's every chance of us amassing the required number of points to survive, essentially we simply have to win our 4 team mini-league involving us, Newcastle, Norwich & Watford to stay up, and none of those 3 sides are exactly blazing a trail this season either.

So although it won't be easy we certainly shouldn't be waving the white flags just yet at the halfway stage of the season as many sadly appear to have done.
Only thing I’ll disagree with in this OP from a week ago is that we are at the halfway stage - at home, we are more or less a third of the way through.

We have a 0.6 points per game advantage at home vs away.

Those two stats alone make us in with more than a fighting chance.

ClaretCliff
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 135 times

Post by ClaretCliff » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:07 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:37 pm
You could reel a list off the length of your arm it’d be interesting to read reasons from people who still believe we’ll stop up.
I don’t know you Jakubclaret so I’ve no particular
axe to grind with you, but I find it very hard to understand how, if you are a Burnley supporter, you seem to be an ever- present on here repeatedly saying how bad we are and seemingly glorifying in how you are predicting relegation and looking for praise and recognition in doing so.
We might go down but it is by no means certain. If I thought we were doomed then I would go and sit quietly in a corner, I would not shout from the rooftops that we are going down and boast that I was correct in predicting this.
I’ve had a drink tonight and so I hope this makes sense, but I’m just so ****** off by you and others revelling in our struggles.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:15 am

ClaretCliff wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:07 am
I don’t know you Jakubclaret so I’ve no particular
axe to grind with you, but I find it very hard to understand how, if you are a Burnley supporter, you seem to be an ever- present on here repeatedly saying how bad we are and seemingly glorifying in how you are predicting relegation and looking for praise and recognition in doing so.
We might go down but it is by no means certain. If I thought we were doomed then I would go and sit quietly in a corner, I would not shout from the rooftops that we are going down and boast that I was correct in predicting this.
I’ve had a drink tonight and so I hope this makes sense, but I’m just so ****** off by you and others revelling in our struggles.
There’s absolutely no delight in me being proven right if the worst was to happen, I can’t find positivity when positivity doesn’t exist, I can make positive stuff up if it makes people feel happier & if we do get relegated the last thing I’ll be doing is crowing I told you so, I think I’ll be having a drink myself & drowning my sorrows. Ok then we are a brilliant team & aren't victims of our own downfall.

ClaretCliff
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 135 times

Post by ClaretCliff » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:28 am

Sorry if I’ve got it wrong but you seem to take every opportunity so say how bad we are. There really is no need.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:39 am

ClaretCliff wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:28 am
Sorry if I’ve got it wrong but you seem to take every opportunity so say how bad we are. There really is no need.
There’s plenty of points still to play for, sod Newcastle Norwich & Watford we ain’t going down there’s fight left in them lads to see us over the line I’m sure of it, when we pick a win up it’ll bolster everybody’s confidence & the form will pick up it’s bound to.