VAR (Again)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Re: VAR (Again)

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:41 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:39 pm
I've never suggested that corners be reviewed, but decisions such as the Liverpool penalty, or Matej getting his head punched should be.
The fact they still get the calls wrong proves that the problem lies with the officials, not the technology.
Scrapping VAR wouldn't stop these bad decisions, it just lets the incompetents off the hook.
At least we wouldn't have to wait minutes for incompetent decisions though.... and at least previously we could excuse some poor decisions down to lack of vision, not having the opportunity to see it back etc

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:12 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:46 pm
Only because of its misuse.
If it was used in the way it was intended, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Having an opportunity to review, and replay, close or controversial calls is a no brainer.
Sadly it is being operated by people with no brain.
It isn’t being misused, this is just what video refs do. They make decisions about subjective situations, where there is very rarely a right or wrong.

What people really want is decisions they agree with. Well, for half the fans watching that’s never going to happen.

Referees, either video or on the pitch, are human and will likely remain so. So there will always be mistakes or simply a variety of opinions. Personally, I think we’re losing a hell of a lot more than we’re gaining from VAR and that will always be the case, however it is used.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:13 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:12 pm
It isn’t being misused, this is just what video refs do. They make decisions about subjective situations, where there is very rarely a right or wrong.

What people really want is decisions they agree with. Well, for half the fans watching that’s never going to happen.

Referees, either video or on the pitch, are human and will likely remain so. So there will always be mistakes or simply a variety of opinions. Personally, I think we’re losing a hell of a lot more than we’re gaining from VAR and that will always be the case, however it is used.
I agree. If it takes more than it gives, it needs to go.