ARTICLE: Out of the cup but a day to remember at Derby

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

ARTICLE: Out of the cup but a day to remember at Derby

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:39 am

Thirty years on, a cup defeat, but one of the most incredible of days to be in there with my fellow Clarets.

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/out-of-the ... r-at-derby
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie dougcollins Cirrus_Minor

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Re: ARTICLE: Out of the cup but a day to remember at Derby

Post by Rowls » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:47 am

Jimmy Mullen's Claret n Blue Army

*CLAP*
*CLAP*
*CLAP*
*CLAP*

repeat

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:05 pm

As far as I recall it was widely reported in the media as well.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 780 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by Jamesy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:16 pm

I was there with my wife and children. It was a truly memorable day out and like you alluded to in your report Tony, we lost but I have rarely felt as good driving home from an away game as I did on this day.
The design of this antiquated old stand contributed to the collective noise we made in the atmospheric Baseball Ground and this match was certainly one of the important milestones in Burnley gradually coming back to prominence. Happy days. UTC.

MrVmax
Been Liked: 45 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by MrVmax » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:52 pm

My word, can't believe that was thirty years ago. Remember like it was yesterday, I think after all that has gone on in the last decade (which has been fantastic) it still remains my proudest day as a clarets fan. The sense of togetherness and passion was just incredible, relentless! Spoke to many opposing fans on the way out and they couldn't believe it. UTC
This user liked this post: IanMcL

LordBob
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by LordBob » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:56 pm

Fantastic day it was all about our revival after the near death of the club, I collected and still have several newspapers the following day. Was it John Sadler that wrote that historical piece in the Sun ?

Guitargeorge
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by Guitargeorge » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:12 pm

“You only sing when it’s foggy”
“The fog is going down”
We were at the first game, sitting just behind Kendall’s wife. She left in tears because of all the stick he was getting from the Burnley crowd

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:15 pm

Guitargeorge wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:12 pm
“You only sing when it’s foggy”
“The fog is going down”
We were at the first game, sitting just behind Kendall’s wife. She left in tears because of all the stick he was getting from the Burnley crowd
I was at the first fogged off game. My tickets didn’t arrive, so I had to pay on the gate and stand with the Derby fans on the Pop side. Some rough lads in there.

claretabroad
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by claretabroad » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:11 pm

Thinking about it still raises the hairs on the back of my neck. It is hard to put what that felt like into words.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:29 pm

Brilliant piece, Tony and certainly one of those nights where I wish I could’ve been there. I’m so pleased that you have included the John Sadler piece in your article as well. It’s one of my favourite newspaper stories concerning our football club. Thank you. I’ll have a chat with Roger about it on Thursday 😆👀

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3749 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:47 pm

It was a long, sometimes painful, trek back for us Clarets.
But that afternoon was a big, and nosy, signpost to where we wanted to go.
Up amongst a handful of events over the years that is forever burned into my mind.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:54 pm

Just read the John Sadler article again Tony. He summed it up perfectly. The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up just reading it. Proud day for a proud old club. So glad I was there.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:03 pm

I was up in the top deck and you could feel the whole stand moving. It was so special and that’s why we still talk about it 30 years later.
This user liked this post: Jamesy

BurnleyMickSouth
Been Liked: 281 times

Post by BurnleyMickSouth » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:09 pm

Great Day that was, i was one of the 4,000 in that stand and even now i can recall it like it was yesterday, " JIMMY MULLENS CLARET N BLUE ARMY" and yes we were an army, i will take that night to my grave but its something that nobody can take away from you, John Sadler was 100% bang on with his article in The Sun, i was and still am a claret thru n thru.

I just WISH that we could get Jimmy back to the Turf to show that we all still love him for what he did back then, without Jimmy would we be where we are now ?, the upward rise
up the divisions began with Jimmy, like i have said id love to see him back at the Turf just one last time, maybe to hear the chant " JIMMY MULLENS CLARET N BLUE ARMY" YES PLEASE.................Great Article Tony, thanks for posting.

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 728 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:33 pm

I never tire of reading Sadler's article. Having been there in that end on that day was just one of those moments that made sense of travelling hundreds of miles around the country watching football. This really was special and even the win at Wembley - brilliant as it was - doesn't touch it for pure emotion.

30 years ago though!........

4:20
Been Liked: 1061 times
Has Liked: 1177 times

Post by 4:20 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:20 pm

It's the one game in my lifetime that I've always wanted to see and hear footage from as we sang. There's a brief few seconds at the end of this video that at least captures it but I can't find anything more extended. I'll never forget my dad coming home and telling me about it the next day. I was talking to him tonight and he mentions coming off the ground after the final whistle and being able to hear "Jimmy Mullen's Claret and Blue Army....clap clap clap clap" on the walk all the way up to the car.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f_t9lMrE9_k

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:28 pm

I was there with a staff colleague from school and we almost got caught up in some nastiness outside one of the pubs but that was soon forgotten....

That Sadler article is still one of the finest pieces of football journalism. His message to the game's authorities still rings true, possibly even more so, nowadays.
Last edited by evensteadiereddie on Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goalposts
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:28 pm

Irony of ironies that tonight could see Derby county go out of existence.. football is a funny old game

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:33 pm

They really deserve to but I'd hate it to happen.

shulgin
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by shulgin » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:47 pm

A memorable 15th birthday for sure. Will always remember that. 45 today. Where has the time gone? Certainly different memories being created down the Turf for my youngsters.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:03 pm

4:20 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:20 pm
It's the one game in my lifetime that I've always wanted to see and hear footage from as we sang. There's a brief few seconds at the end of this video that at least captures it but I can't find anything more extended. I'll never forget my dad coming home and telling me about it the next day. I was talking to him tonight and he mentions coming off the ground after the final whistle and being able to hear "Jimmy Mullen's Claret and Blue Army....clap clap clap clap" on the walk all the way up to the car.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f_t9lMrE9_k
I used to have a copy of the whole game on VHS. It was Jimmy Mullen's personal copy believe it or not but when Adrian Heath came in as manager he had everything left in the office that was Mullen's chucked in a skip. I'm not sure who got it and passed it onto me and neither am I sure what happened to it. At one point you can see a copper on the touchline and he's clearly joining in.
This user liked this post: 4:20

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:14 pm

Wow, i never realised Mullen was only 39 years old. I'd always assumed he was older
This user liked this post: 4:20

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:21 pm

Still gets you emotional when you think about it, it's just amazing and I have never witnessed anything like it since from ant fans not just hours. As mentioned I'd love a video of it.

Post by 4:20 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:25 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:14 pm
Wow, i never realised Mullen was only 39 years old. I'd always assumed he was older
Blew my mind reading that and realising he was younger there
than I am now. Really has put 'age' and what silver hair can do to perspective.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

Post by 4:20 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:28 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:03 pm
I used to have a copy of the whole game on VHS. It was Jimmy Mullen's personal copy believe it or not but when Adrian Heath came in as manager he had everything left in the office that was Mullen's chucked in a skip. I'm not sure who got it and passed it onto me and neither am I sure what happened to it. At one point you can see a copper on the touchline and he's clearly joining in.
Wow, that's some tale, Tony. I hope the VHS turns up somehow, again!.... be a real shame if it's lost forever. Perhaps it was destined to always fall into memory and legend.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:29 pm

shulgin wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:47 pm
A memorable 15th birthday for sure. Will always remember that. 45 today. Where has the time gone? Certainly different memories being created down the Turf for my youngsters.
My 16th birthday that night, but due to it being a school night I wasn't allowed to travel, I do remember the atmosphere even on the radio though, and that was memorable enough, and despite the defeat those cup ties really brought it home that we were finally on the way back.

Shame! that there's so little footage available, but then this was well prior to the digital devices we all enjoy now.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:06 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:29 pm
My 16th birthday that night, but due to it being a school night I wasn't allowed to travel, I do remember the atmosphere even on the radio though, and that was memorable enough, and despite the defeat those cup ties really brought it home that we were finally on the way back.

Shame! that there's so little footage available, but then this was well prior to the digital devices we all enjoy now.
It was a Saturday afternoon tiger76

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:16 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:06 pm
It was a Saturday afternoon tiger76
Was it I've always thought it was an evening game, must be getting mixed up with the original replay. :?

The days of multiple replays, can't see those ever happening again, pity because there's several memorable ones down our history.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:05 pm

Wasn’t on the game as I was in phase 2 of Army basic training but was so proud for ages gutted I wasn’t there but hey couldn’t be helped I guess.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:31 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:05 pm
As far as I recall it was widely reported in the media as well.
Yes, there was a great article a few days after in The Mail? in which as followers of a Div 4 team who were fairly comfortably beaten by a far superior side, we had shown the trumped up, money swilling football world what being "proper supporters" was actually all about.
Like others I went to all 3 games (including the fogged off one) and like others I have to say that day in that away end was one of the weirdest and most remarkable I've ever witnessed. It was absolutely spontaneous and even the Derby fans stopped watching the game and were simply watching us. And again, like others, the hairs STILL stand up on the back of my neck!!

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by KlyBfc » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:35 pm

I wasn’t there (I’d been to the home game but my dad rarely took me away in those days). However I’d love the current fans and players to be able to have this connection, affiliation and effort over these last few months of the season.

“In 23 years in football I’ve never seen anything like that,” said the Burnley manager. “The fans would not go home until the team had been back onto the pitch to take yet more applause. Some of my players could have died for those fans today. They have given their all because of the relentless support, that’s what Burnley Football Club is all about at the moment. All we can try and do is produce the type of performances that support like that deserves.”

If we could produce more as fans and the players could consistently dig that bit deeper we might have a chance of staying up.

Dressinggown
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 79 times

Post by Dressinggown » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:40 pm

One of the best written football reports involving our supporters.

Thank you Mr Sadler.

Our greatest defeat ever ? I don't think that the result mattered a jot. We were there and back. Derby fans applauded us and we kept on singing. Jimmy Mullen was a hero that day.

It was a start of things to come.

UTC

RHansburyEsq
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by RHansburyEsq » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:25 pm

I too was 15 at the time, the same age as my eldest is now. It was a remarkable day in a remarkable season. I still get goose bumps and don’t mind admitting slightly damp eyes reading about it again. That and Wembley are my favourite memories (amongst many other great ones)

What a journey since then. We’ve been in the top two leagues for my lad’s entire life and 8 of those in premier league. I’d never have believed that could happen.
This user liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:57 pm

Amazing stuff. If we could re-capture even half of that against Watford it would drive us on, no doubt about it. Maybe fans are less passionate now, I don’t know, but atmospheres all over seem to be gone. Remember things like the Kop at Anfield, that huge swaying mass of people was a sight to behold, now long gone. I hated the Stratford end at OT but looking back it was pretty amazing too. Even that awful day in the 70s when Wolves ‘took’ the Longside in the FA cup and turned what seemed like half of the Turf into black and gold. Many happy and memorable times both of our fans and others. It just doesn’t seem to happen any more now. Maybe the game has been taken away from the ordinary fan, maybe the draw of the big clubs has taken away local pride, I don’t know, but I do miss it.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:59 pm

RHansburyEsq wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:25 pm
I too was 15 at the time, the same age as my eldest is now. It was a remarkable day in a remarkable season. I still get goose bumps and don’t mind admitting slightly damp eyes reading about it again. That and Wembley are my favourite memories (amongst many other great ones)

What a journey since then. We’ve been in the top two leagues for my lad’s entire life and 8 of those in premier league. I’d never have believed that could happen.
I’ve just read it again and my wife asked me what I was crying at.
This user liked this post: Claret Till I Die

ClaretinJapan
Been Liked: 46 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by ClaretinJapan » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:17 am

Was there with my brother, who sadly passed last year. A great day out and a raucous away end.

Here's how The Sun reported it. Copy and pasted so may be some errors.

REAL FANS ROAR OUT MESSAGE TO ALL THE FAT CATS

Jimmy Mullen is due in court this morning to answer a drink drive allegation.

On Saturday,he watched his goalkeeper inexplicably drop the ball to present Derby with a decisive second goal that swept his team out of the fa cup.

Now,you couldn't claim that these have been the the happiest few days in the life of fourth division Burnley.

And yet Mullen has found himself at the centre of a remarkable phenomenon perhaps unique in the grand history of football's most romantic competition.

I don't care what kind of response former Burnley midfield man Brian Flynn received as manager of Wrexham on their latest day of glory at West Ham.

It wouldn't have been a patch on the acclaim given to the boss of the club where he began.

I want to tell you about the most heartening, stimulating and optimistic occasion i have experienced for many .many years.

Derby v Burnley was a match in a time-warp.A third round match played on fourth round day . But the real blast from the past came from far more distant days...

When fans came only to back there beloved team, not fight there opposite numbers . when fences were not needed and policemen merely smiled in approval.

Burnley took 4,000 Lancashire lads and lasses to the midlands.and they were sensational.

Soon after goalkeeper Chris Pearce dropped his dreadful clanger they set up one of the loudest ,sustained dins I've ever heard on a foot ball ground anywhere in the world

"Jimmy Mullen's claret and blue army" was the chant from the terraces and double decker stand that housed Burnley's claret and blue army.

Over and over they chanted it. Clapping and stamping there feet and drumming on the advertisement boards in perfect rhythm.

On and on for 20 minutes until the end of the match and 15 Min's after.Until i urged the clubs chairman to get his manager and players to leave their dressing room , return to the pitch and wave their appreciation.

The bedlam was almost deafening, I t was a colorful and spectacular sight .But it was something far more important than that .

I wanted others to see and hear it . Big men important men who are making decisions that could alienate the game from ordinary working folk.

I wanted Graham Kelly to be there to prove to him that those who talk super leagues should not underestimate the passion of the so called little clubs.

I wanted sir John Quinton to be there so that the bank chairman chosen to preside over the elite could learn something of life at the other end of the scale.

I wanted officials of Man Utd and Arsenal, Liverpool and the other fat cats behind the move to change the face of football to hear the voices of the people.

The bedlam of Burnley was not a simply a cry of support for another of the fa cups beaten teams It was a roar of defiance

"Traditions" said Arthur Cox , Derby's manager whose time in north east football taught him all there is to know about fanaticism." you heard the traditions of Burnleys past out there
today. A major club of 30 years ago, don't forget"

those who kept up that thunderous clatter were real football fans . Genuine Football people with a deep love of their club ,no matter what the result They had nothing to do with the executive box brigade and the corporate hospitality merchants to whom football is a pandering of the modern era.

They stood in the rain sat in the cold and screamed their allegiance to a game which,at the highest level, continues to turn its back.

English football has no right to dismiss or take lightly the support of people like those who raised their voices so valiantly at the baseball ground.

This remember was the support of a team who lost to a deflected free kick and a goal handed on a plate by a goalkeeper who couldn't catch the ball.

The frost that caused postponements had managers and scouts flocking to derby......

Brian Clough David Pleat, Neil Warnock, Ian Branfoot together with scouts from Villa, QPR, Norwich, Portsmouth, Leicester,West Ham...And with Leeds ,Man Utd, Oldham Coventry,Cambridge,Blackburn to name a few.

Some will report back about an individual player or one side or the other. But all will first tell the story of those incredible Burnley supporters

So at least the message will be cast far and wide . The cry from the fourth division will reach high places .

"In all my 23 years in the game I've never anything like that" Jimmy gasped

"It left my players feeling like they were prepared to die for those people "

It left Arthur Cox thinking out load"Burnley have had a reminder of how things could be.It was a demonstration of potential"

"They have to try to make sure they get promotion and don't let those people down" And that is a sobering thought.

Anyone else remember that game?, can't find any highlights of it only the abandoned initial replay and the first game.

Best atmosphere I ever experienced at a non-Wembley game.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:06 am

Amazing really, dare I say it I was close to my 30th birthday for those matches………and now I’ll be 60 next Wednesday, and it’s my son who will be 30 this year……soddin hell - wonder what the next 30 will have in store eh!?

I looked at my old programmes last night, prompted by CT,s article. The Derby ones are still pristine, and near one for a cup tie at Stafford Rangers…..shows how far the club has come since, but back then whilst the football was dire, for some strange reason being a travelling Claret just seemed good fun (aside from frequently being chased by the likes of Mansfield fans - thankfully I had a fair turn of pace in those days when needed).

Deviating just slightly I’d possibly put Deepdale away in the Sherpa up there as being a bit like like the derby one - so fortunate to have been there to have experienced those atmospheres.

And now, bring on Watford, Man U and then Liverpool eh, who’d have thought it !!!

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:20 pm

I'd forgotten just how bad Pearce's mistake was that led to the goal that finished us off. Wasn't long afterwards that Nicky Walker joined us and a good job too.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:33 pm

Can remember both replays clearly especially driving back in the freezing fog after the abandoned first game . The second what a day to be a claret despite the result!

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:02 pm

Apart from the sheer emotion of the Orient match, this is the most memorable from a fan perspective.

Spontaneous and just sustained. Everyone standing on their seat to add more. The rhythm changed without any conductor or hesitation. You just could not sing and clap. So very proud to have been there and played my part.

Always a Claret.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:09 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:20 pm
I'd forgotten just how bad Pearce's mistake was that led to the goal that finished us off. Wasn't long afterwards that Nicky Walker joined us and a good job too.
Good old Chris Pearce. He was a decent club servant but he used to frighten me to death on corners and crosses :lol:

Post by 4:20 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:04 pm

Great news!

This football account on YouTube, who is uploading full matches of the 91/92 season which coincidentally goes hand in hand with these articles is premiering the full match in 5 hours time. Finally, after all these years of wanting to see it.
Whoever is uploading these videos, if you're on here, thank you so much.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=45fiqKXfBmU