Bank of Dave.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
martin_p
Been Liked: 3768 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Re: Bank of Dave.

Post by martin_p » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:57 am

Will watch tonight but I hope people aren’t expecting a 100% accurate telling of the Bank of Dave story. Apparently at one point Def Leppard play a live gig at the Turf to raise money for the bank (unless of course this massive event somehow slipped my memory).

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1512 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:58 am

He's chatty and a bit over-excitable but he's a good ambassador for the town and has done a hell of a lot for it, too.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1189 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:00 am

He's not everybody's cup of char but it's difficult to knock the bloke when all said & done he's not a bad sort & we could do with more of him around that's for sure.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Eyres_11
Been Liked: 73 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Eyres_11 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:30 am

Just finished watching it. The concert bit was weird, wonder if there was ever plans for that but something shut it down maybe?

Lots of references to the football club In there.

The credits show “Sean Dyche - As Himself”

I didn’t spot him though.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1033 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:31 am

What has Bank of Dave actually done ?
He offered 5% on deposits when base rates was virtually nothing. That was a very basic mistake and within days he had to withdraw the offer due to demand. I don’t know of one person who managed to get this 5% and anybody who did was running a massive risk anyway as there was no deposit protection and they would lose their money with the very real risk the business would go bust.

He failed in his application to get a banking license. I doubt he was ever actually serious. It was being done for TV. At this time there were a number of banking licences being granted to several new start up banks that had institutional investment and were putting several millions into developing technology (Atom, Starling, Monza, Tide and many more). Compare that to Dave - he rented a shop on Keirby Walk, spent ten Bob on a computer and employed that daft old accountant you saw on the TV programme !!

What I will give credit to him for is that he is build up a successful van business in Colne and he has also managed to make a lot of money out of being on TV and now got a film made about him….all very impressive…..in a Joey Essex type way !
He also does talk about Burnley well and the best thing about his TV programme was when it was showing those stunning views of him driving over Pendle Hill - all fantastic publicity for Burnley and our surrounding countryside.

Casper2
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Casper2 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:10 pm

Just watched with a tear in my eye, not sure how it will be perceived, it is a bit contrived, and obviously the end was fictional, does the walk In community hospital exist?

I hope it does well though , Dave has done a lot for local charities and people.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Casper2
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Casper2 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:12 pm

Eyres_11 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:30 am
Just finished watching it. The concert bit was weird, wonder if there was ever plans for that but something shut it down maybe?

Lots of references to the football club In there.

The credits show “Sean Dyche - As Himself”

I didn’t spot him though.
He was in it just before the concert started.

HistoricalClaret
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by HistoricalClaret » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:22 pm

Ive finished the film its very good constantly references the clarets in a winky fashion im sure dave mandated it the actor playing dave does well to embody him and the film does well to properly represent and embody our town

It Is What It Is
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Post by It Is What It Is » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:29 pm

Hey...Dave Fishwick is a Claret thru and thru.
Does a lot for the community and BFC.
Why do people feel they have attack his personality?
So a bit of respect please.
These 8 users liked this post: ebby Lip IanMcL Bosscat Volvoclaret ClaretTricks sanderson370 turfytopper

summitclaret
Been Liked: 835 times
Has Liked: 1333 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:46 pm

It Is What It Is wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:29 pm
Well said Dave 🙂
These 5 users liked this post: ebby Bosscat IanMcL sanderson370 turfytopper

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:03 pm

It Is What It Is wrote:
Because they are jealous of him.

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 193 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:15 pm

Great answer utc

Commy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:43 pm

I enjoyed that.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2177 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:46 pm

It Is What It Is wrote:
Its Burnley. some people aren't happy unless they are moaning or slagging someone off.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat turfytopper

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:23 pm

Looking forward to watching this. He always comes across well especially in positively promoting the town don’t understand why he gets any grief.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 600 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:29 pm

Watched it this afternoon……………a “feel good film” easy to watch……..

Proud to be a Burnley boy…….

Ps where was the pub? Duck & Drake or whatever………..

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6397 times
Has Liked: 8760 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:34 pm

Saw him on TV this morning and huge credit for promoting the Premiere in Burnley and getting the town such positive exposure.

I read his book and hard work and cheek has got him far.

His banking exploit was to help businesses which needed funding, to buy his minibuses, get them at a decent rate (rather than bank refusal, at the time).
The Community saved and the businesses benefitted and therefore Dave's own business.

Clever. An improved Credit Union.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:37 pm

It Is What It Is wrote:
I got told by his accountant (his official one who does their formal accounts not that guy on TV !!) that Dave does not like football and never has - even when he sponsored the stand.
Don’t know how true that is but no reason to doubt what he said as I’ve know the accountant on a personal level for a long long time.
Since his sponsorship of the stand finished not sure if he is still involved in any capacity in the club or whether he goes on the games.

Agree he does have a lot of positive things to say about Burnley and irrespective of the person himself (I don’t know his personality or background) I always like when people in the public eye talk about Burnley positively. It’s the same with Alistair Campbell, Jordan North etc - whether they are talking about the football club or the area anything positive goes down well because of the perception and stereotype of the town that is often banded about by people who have never stepped foot in Burnley.

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1626 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:37 pm

Jimmymaccer wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:29 pm
Watched it this afternoon……………a “feel good film” easy to watch……..

Proud to be a Burnley boy…….

Ps where was the pub? Duck & Drake or whatever………..
Dirty Leeds

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:38 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:31 am
What has Bank of Dave actually done ?
He offered 5% on deposits when base rates was virtually nothing. That was a very basic mistake and within days he had to withdraw the offer due to demand. I don’t know of one person who managed to get this 5% and anybody who did was running a massive risk anyway as there was no deposit protection and they would lose their money with the very real risk the business would go bust.

He failed in his application to get a banking license. I doubt he was ever actually serious. It was being done for TV. At this time there were a number of banking licences being granted to several new start up banks that had institutional investment and were putting several millions into developing technology (Atom, Starling, Monza, Tide and many more). Compare that to Dave - he rented a shop on Keirby Walk, spent ten Bob on a computer and employed that daft old accountant you saw on the TV programme !!

What I will give credit to him for is that he is build up a successful van business in Colne and he has also managed to make a lot of money out of being on TV and now got a film made about him….all very impressive…..in a Joey Essex type way !
He also does talk about Burnley well and the best thing about his TV programme was when it was showing those stunning views of him driving over Pendle Hill - all fantastic publicity for Burnley and our surrounding countryside.

I think I’m right in saying Dave’s Burnley savings and loans is not for profit, and any money raised is donated to local causes. Not many lenders doing that. That’s what he’s actually done
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:44 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:34 pm
Saw him on TV this morning and huge credit for promoting the Premiere in Burnley and getting the town such positive exposure.

I read his book and hard work and cheek has got him far.

His banking exploit was to help businesses which needed funding, to buy his minibuses, get them at a decent rate (rather than bank refusal, at the time).
The Community saved and the businesses benefitted and therefore Dave's own business.

Clever. An improved Credit Union.
Not really.
You might want to look into the credit union which serves our area - Pennine Community Credit Union.
Have a look at the ABCUL website too about the credit union movement.
They are licensed to take deposits and lend money.
The credit union sector is massive and meets a significant gap in the market which exists between the banks and on the other extreme the door step money lenders.
Our local credit union in this area has 14,000 members - Bank of Dave will have nearer to 14 customers !!

If Dave had any knowledge of the financial sector and wanted to provide a real alternative to high street banks he should have found out more about the credit union sector and put his efforts into supporting that. It would have been more beneficial to an area like Burnley for him to promote that sector and increase awareness - especially as our credit union was founded near his door step in Colne.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:51 pm

Apologies to the Credit Union, which I kind of dismissed by bad word choice.

Agree with all you said BigV

I was really seeing it as a direct improvement for Dave and his customers, whilst sort of working like a credit union for his business customers and paying interest to the lenders, which would still be better than bank interest for them.

(Still not convinced of my explanation!)

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:08 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:51 pm
Apologies to the Credit Union, which I kind of dismissed by bad word choice.

Agree with all you said BigV

I was really seeing it as a direct improvement for Dave and his customers, whilst sort of working like a credit union for his business customers and paying interest to the lenders, which would still be better than bank interest for them.

(Still not convinced of my explanation!)
No problem Ian.
Worked in the finance sector all my life in banking and also heavily involved in the credit union sector.
The principle behind what Dave was trying to do was highly commendable and it’s not far away from the principle that exists behind credit unions.
Credit unions are not for profit type organisations too (in some sense of the term) in that they exist to return any surplus back to their members or invest back into making the credit union more sustainable etc
They take money in and pay interest at one rate and lend money out to individuals at a higher rate - which is the simplest form of how and why banks were set up.

Like credit unions the principle of Bank of Dave was for it to help the community in which it was based and to help those who really needed help. It does not have the greed of and shareholders of banks or everything else that is wrong with banks.
But what Dave failed to do was understand how he could scale up what started off as lending money to a few businesses. And he never seemed to want to understand how he could do this in the face of meeting the financial regulator and also the kind of investment needed to start and run a bank so his Bank of Dave never got bigger than the tiny thing it is - whatever that still is.
If he was serious he could have gone down the route of setting up a Community type bank (like is happening in Wales and like happens in other countries) - he had the publicity and awareness initially so it could have been done if he would have involved others with more knowledge but I honestly think when he began to realise what it would actually involve he was out of his depth very quickly and then this quickly became about becoming a tv personality

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:24 pm

It probably delivers what he required!

I remember, at the time, he said that banks had lots of money to stimulate businesses but would not loan to his customers, as the banks decided 'too risky', even though that was the purpose. Instead they kept saying he was their ideal business to loan money. He didn't want that and this was his way round it all.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1512 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:41 pm

Inchy wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:38 pm
I think I’m right in saying Dave’s Burnley savings and loans is not for profit, and any money raised is donated to local causes. Not many lenders doing that. That’s what he’s actually done
I don’t think that’s true.

Lip
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Lip » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:20 pm

Just watched and really enjoyed it.Nice to see Dennis Pennis as well. 😁

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:31 pm

Not on US or CZ Netflix annoyingly so ill have to wait

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:44 pm

Really enjoyed it. Great advert for Burnley, makes me home sick

claretburns
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:52 pm

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:31 pm
Not on US or CZ Netflix annoyingly so ill have to wait
VPN should allow you to watch.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6497 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:53 pm

Really enjoyed that,very believable till the Def Leppard concert,was it the real band?....are Def Leppard really that bad?
Was that Dave,s house in the film it was a beautiful place
The guy who played Dave,s solicitor was quite good he's improved a lot at acting from his days of being in Trollied with Jane Horrocks

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:55 pm

claretburns wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:52 pm
VPN should allow you to watch.
Aye, i have a dns proxy which works wonders normally but only provides us netflix for some reason.

Will look at it later in the week now

claret2018
Been Liked: 820 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:57 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:53 pm
Really enjoyed that,very believable till the Def Leppard concert,was it the real band?....are Def Leppard really that bad?
Yes and yes
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Lip
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Lip » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:23 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:53 pm
Was that Dave,s house in the film it was a beautiful place
The guy who played Dave,s solicitor was quite good he's improved a lot at acting from his days of being in Trollied with Jane Horrocks
He was in Plebs as well.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:26 pm

Lip wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:23 pm
He was in Plebs as well.
Yea he generally plays a total buffoon ... :lol:
This user liked this post: Lip

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8546 times
Has Liked: 18302 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:09 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:26 pm
Yea he generally plays a total buffoon ... :lol:
Didn't his Dad Roy Kinnear die in France whilst playing Planchet in the 1988ish follow up to the 1975 "3 Musketeers" film

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:11 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:09 pm
Didn't his Dad Roy Kinnear die in France whilst playing Planchet in the 1988ish follow up to the 1975 "3 Musketeers" film
You Knob, read the thread we ain't talking about Dave,s character :roll:

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:13 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:11 pm
You Knob, read the thread we ain't talking about Dave,s character :roll:
Oi its MR KNOB to you 😉

Guitargeorge
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by Guitargeorge » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:38 pm

Kicking myself for missing the Def Leppard concert at the Turf. I thoroughly enjoyed the last two, Bob Lord bringing the Stones to our town, and Frank Teasdale bringing the double header of Alice Cooper and Petula Clark in the 80’s.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:44 pm

Guitargeorge wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:38 pm
Kicking myself for missing the Def Leppard concert at the Turf. I thoroughly enjoyed the last two, Bob Lord bringing the Stones to our town, and Frank Teasdale bringing the double header of Alice Cooper and Petula Clark in the 80’s.
Lately the best we got was "The Afghan Hounds" and "Chico Time" 🤭🤭🤭

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1661 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:01 pm

Watched it now, fantastic feel good story, some bits fabricated and some bits he was probably a bit out of his depth (may not have had that brilliant lawyer in real life). But great intentions and a good heart, and has done a lot of good in whatever scale he is managing.

I’m one of those who believes driving around in a Ferrari and doing good work for the community aren’t mutually exclusive.

Bigvince
Been Liked: 937 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by Bigvince » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:06 pm

Started watching and found it surprisingly enjoyable, gutted that I missed the def leopard gig tho!

Cubanforever
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Cubanforever » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:08 pm

OK it's a bit cheesy and there are some things that never happened but I enjoyed it.....if nothing else it'll remind people what a bunch of scumbags a large portion of the banking sector were to cause the financial crash we all went through and are still paying for now....Good on him.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:20 pm

It’s an enjoyable film although obviously about 75% made up (like the directions to Finsley Gate). But they did a great job of recreating the Def Leppard gig. I’m not a big ‘Lep’ fan but none of us who were at the Turf that night will ever forget it.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:57 pm

It’s a film. It’s going to be shown worldwide. People will hear about Burnley and the town is portrayed in a good light….warm people, beautiful countryside and a great football club.

I don’t care if Def Leopard didn’t do a concert.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:04 am

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:57 pm
It’s a film. It’s going to be shown worldwide. People will hear about Burnley and the town is portrayed in a good light….warm people, beautiful countryside and a great football club.

I don’t care if Def Leopard didn’t do a concert.
It can’t be anything but positive for the image of the town and it’s people to be honest.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:05 am

The film is very twee; scenes are mostly two-handers with people talking over a pint, a coffee or half asleep on someone's couch after a late night. Scenes tend to cut from one to the next with no real sense of time or pace.

I don't get the whole Def Leppard bit for the final act; it makes no sense. Why was that even in the mix?

The love story made me a bit sick in my mouth too. There seemed to be a karaoke interlude every time there was a scene in the local pub, but I am not sure why.

Good advert for Burnley though, makes a change from the typical grim up north type if thing. I suggest watching up to the bit when he's up for trial in the local court, after that point, the film is ludicrous.

If you like nice, simple stories with a feel good happy ending, it'll be up your street though.

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:12 am

martin_p wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:04 am
It can’t be anything but positive for the image of the town and it’s people to be honest.
Totally agree. The football club have been promoting Burnley for the last 15 years. This film will do the same.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 516 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:17 am

When he asks for directions whilst for some reason being on Turf Moor estate....the bloke with the dog...i'm a Burnley lad through and through but I've yet to come across anyone who talks as broad as that. Maybe there is somewhere but to come across someone in the street on his first visit? :D

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:18 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:05 am
The film is very twee; scenes are mostly two-handers with people talking over a pint, a coffee or half asleep on someone's couch after a late night. Scenes tend to cut from one to the next with no real sense of time or pace.

I don't get the whole Def Leppard bit for the final act; it makes no sense. Why was that even in the mix?

The love story made me a bit sick in my mouth too. There seemed to be a karaoke interlude every time there was a scene in the local pub, but I am not sure why.

Good advert for Burnley though, makes a change from the typical grim up north type if thing. I suggest watching up to the bit when he's up for trial in the local court, after that point, the film is ludicrous.

If you like nice, simple stories with a feel good happy ending, it'll be up your street though.
It probably isn’t aimed at you. It’s aimed at the huge box office audiences that enjoyed Four Weddings & A Funeral, Love Actually, About A Boy, The Full Monty, Trainspotting, Brassed Off, etc.

Would you rather it had been about Blackburn?

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:23 am

Yeah, I would rather it had been about Blackburn...