Louis Theroux's Forbidden America

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4072 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Louis Theroux's Forbidden America

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:21 pm

Anyone catch this last night?
I knew the US had more than its fair share of complete f**kwits, but this exposé of the American far right was different level.

Catch it on iPlayer and see what you think.

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1523 times

Re: Louis Theroux's Forbidden America

Post by chekhov » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:44 pm

Thanks. I’ll take a peek of that.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by Aclaret » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:11 pm

Yeah i saw it, he's certainly got some balls has our Louis. Wouldn't have put it past those loons he was interviewing to have pulled a gun or threatened violence.

StuffyClaret
Been Liked: 144 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by StuffyClaret » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:54 pm

The way in which Louis takes control so that the other guy turns into a blithering idiot and can only reply using insults and expletives is very reminiscent of such discussions on this message board.
This user liked this post: superdimitri

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:59 pm

Shut it.
These 6 users liked this post: StuffyClaret claptrappers_union Red Fox Rocks Socks bobinho PeterWilton Buxtonclaret

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:01 pm

I watched most of the episode, got to the bloke who'd got a Louis Theroux t-shirt on....
They're absolutely mental.
Always odd when they bang on about immigrants taking over from the white men, yet that's exactly what the white men did to the Native Indians....they absolutely cannot see the irony of what they say.

StuffyClaret
Been Liked: 144 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by StuffyClaret » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:02 pm

Notice how I kept a straight face and good eye contact while I 'liked' that reply 😐
This user liked this post: Billy Balfour

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:06 pm

I think he’s brilliant, will watch this

Lambo
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by Lambo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:14 pm

Absolutely frightening that these nutters have a platform and worse still is that in America they can arm themselves like a small nation

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:55 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:01 pm
I watched most of the episode, got to the bloke who'd got a Louis Theroux t-shirt on....
They're absolutely mental.
Always odd when they bang on about immigrants taking over from the white men, yet that's exactly what the white men did to the Native Indians....they absolutely cannot see the irony of what they say.
Particularly amusing as the protagonist has the very American surname Fuentes.

Thought this was a fascinating and tense watch. Show's what we're up against and how these dangerous movements can gain such traction through social media.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:17 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:55 am
Particularly amusing as the protagonist has the very American surname Fuentes.
I think this actually highlights the big problem that Theroux (a generally brilliant documentarian) missed out on - the extent to which these right wing influencers/content creators are just grifters. Fuentes is a 22 year old with one Hispanic parent and one Jewish parent who has become a millionaire with racist and anti-Semetic content (among other stuff obviously). For Louis not to at any point question if the blokes at the top of this ecosystem are just out for cash was a bit of a swing and a miss IMO.

Still an interesting watch.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

Holmeclaret
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Holmeclaret » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:50 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:17 am
I think this actually highlights the big problem that Theroux (a generally brilliant documentarian) missed out on - the extent to which these right wing influencers/content creators are just grifters. Fuentes is a 22 year old with one Hispanic parent and one Jewish parent who has become a millionaire with racist and anti-Semetic content (among other stuff obviously). For Louis not to at any point question if the blokes at the top of this ecosystem are just out for cash was a bit of a swing and a miss IMO.

Reminds me of a certain bankrupt UK individual who, unfortunately for him, was too stupid to cut and run.

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 354 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by HahaYeah » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:12 pm

Lot of talk that this propaganda effort has backfired.

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=62879

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:16 pm

HahaYeah wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:12 pm

I mean, I've never heard of that website, but the last line of the piece does suggest it might not be one to add to your favourites!

"I've watched around a dozen Theroux documentaries and he always comes across as a clueless libtard full of delusional liberal idealism."

bpgburn
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by bpgburn » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:26 pm

Mentally immature bits of kids trying to be bad-asses with badass opinions yet haven't got the balls or the courage of their own convictions to actually come out and admit they a white supremacists, nowt more, nowt less.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:15 pm

I was going to comment on this thread last night that there is definitely a poster on this board that would be at the very least sympathetic if not a paid up member of this American First group but thought that might be a little unfair towards HaHaYeah.

Glad I didnt post it now as unsurprisingly he has happily outed himself.
These 2 users liked this post: Greenmile SalouClaret

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:16 pm

HahaYeah wrote:
Lot of talk in the far-right, loony, window licking community that this propaganda effort has backfired.

Aye

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:10 pm

I don't think it backfired at all, Theroux was his usual excellent asking the right questions and letting them do the talking and made them look bad on their own.
There were times when he just asked a question that they didn't want to answer they just resorted to swearing and abuse and he just stood there and took it.

As alluded to above they are just trying to hide their ideology by presenting themselves in an alternative manner. The aggression, misogynism and racism is still very much there. Fuentes himself is just a bit more intelligent about it than some of that others.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:02 pm

HahaYeah wrote:

Hilarious.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:05 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:

Yeah I guess he missed a trick not challenging that, although the footage spoke for itself. They were incredibly sensitive souls though so he was trying his best to tread carefully in order to get the access he needed.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:13 pm

This week's episode is, of course, interesting.
About the current group of young rappers.

There's a young man with diamond teeth...

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2624 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:30 pm

The far right one was interesting. Didn’t realise just what whiny little virgins they all were. Sitting around playing video games, chuckling like Beavis and Butthead and all absolutely terrified of women. Still, I guess they were making a few quid out of it.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5559 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:49 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:13 pm
This week's episode is, of course, interesting.
About the current group of young rappers.

There's a young man with diamond teeth...
Just watching it now. What a bunch of bellends.

Must admit, I preferred Louis when he was less serious doing Weird Weekends.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2011 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:43 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:21 pm
Anyone catch this last night?
I knew the US had more than its fair share of complete f**kwits, but this exposé of the American far right was different level.

Catch it on iPlayer and see what you think.
As a general rule, despite some incredible intellect at their disposal Americans don’t tend to overthink things. :?

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:51 am

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:43 pm
As a general rule, despite some incredible intellect at their disposal Americans don’t tend to overthink things. :?
Not a general rule at all. it's a very small proportion. Be careful not to judge an entire country based solely on documentaries like these designed to show their crazies in limelight...same with politics, those elected, in charge and their actions politically in a country do not represent every citizen.

You would be thinking the same about British people, and it's very plausible a documentary of similar ilk to be filmed in the UK. Of course, it's much easier to find more crazies in a country of 325m instead of 66m and its a lot easier for those in far right (or left) politics to gain support when there's a bigger audience.

I watched the documentary (along with many other Theroux documentaries) with my Wife and she's just as shocked about it as anyone else would be. Shocked and embarrassed even!

If you live in the UK and you watch documentaries like this, watch what is fed to you in the news then you will have a very different view from the real USA.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:21 am

I'm a big fan of his but been disappointed with these latest offerings, even switched over last week.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:25 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:21 am
I'm a big fan of his but been disappointed with these latest offerings, even switched over last week.
Yeah same - he seems less bothered now and whereas before he was clever in how he got people to open up (Westboro Baptist Church eps in particular), he now just asks more direct straight forward questions so they just shut down and you learn nothing.

PeterWilton
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by PeterWilton » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:33 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:16 pm
I mean, I've never heard of that website, but the last line of the piece does suggest it might not be one to add to your favourites!

"I've watched around a dozen Theroux documentaries and he always comes across as a clueless libtard full of delusional liberal idealism."
No, that final sentence suggests it's exactly the kind of website HahaYeah would add to his favourites.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 HahaYeah

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:06 am

superdimitri wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:51 am
Not a general rule at all. it's a very small proportion. Be careful not to judge an entire country based solely on documentaries like these designed to show their crazies in limelight...same with politics, those elected, in charge and their actions politically in a country do not represent every citizen.

You would be thinking the same about British people, and it's very plausible a documentary of similar ilk to be filmed in the UK. Of course, it's much easier to find more crazies in a country of 325m instead of 66m and its a lot easier for those in far right (or left) politics to gain support when there's a bigger audience.

I watched the documentary (along with many other Theroux documentaries) with my Wife and she's just as shocked about it as anyone else would be. Shocked and embarrassed even!

If you live in the UK and you watch documentaries like this, watch what is fed to you in the news then you will have a very different view from the real USA.
Not based on TV but through many many conversations over many years. There are many serious intellects in America as I pointed out, but virtually all are far too clever to get involved in American politics directly. There is also a swathe of flag wavers throughout the country… sadly it was no joke that a significant proportion of Americans assumed Russia was the American continent, their wider geographical world (and even their own country) knowledge so poor they assume the biggest land mass must be the US. I have argued with pro IRA New Yorkers who quite clearly had no idea Ireland sat of Britain’s coast, another in Vegas tell me they wanted to live in the Philippines as it sounded like a lovely place etc.etc.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Pickles » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:13 am

daveisaclaret wrote:

Agreed. Good doc and he's excellent obviously but I had the same thoughts as you. I was thinking - ask him about his surname, ask him about his parents. Seemed like low hanging fruit.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:32 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:06 am
Not based on TV but through many many conversations over many years. There are many serious intellects in America as I pointed out, but virtually all are far too clever to get involved in American politics directly. There is also a swathe of flag wavers throughout the country… sadly it was no joke that a significant proportion of Americans assumed Russia was the American continent, their wider geographical world (and even their own country) knowledge so poor they assume the biggest land mass must be the US. I have argued with pro IRA New Yorkers who quite clearly had no idea Ireland sat of Britain’s coast, another in Vegas tell me they wanted to live in the Philippines as it sounded like a lovely place etc.etc.
I don't think I've met a single person who thinks any of that but I'll agree some people can be pretty insular. That's more to do with education more than anything else though.

Let's not forget it can work both ways. There are plenty of people in the UK with poor education too and some are insular also. You actually see examples of that often in Burnley and at times, even on this board. The biggest difference is probably in part due to the UK being so close to other countries and being part of a bigger collective.

Thereoux could also make shocking documentaries in the UK but chooses not to because it doesn't fit in with what British people want to see. They want to see crazies somewhere else, not on their own soil but you'd be a fool to think there aren't any right wing extremists in the UK also, especially given modern social media etc.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:18 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:32 pm
I don't think I've met a single person who thinks any of that but I'll agree some people can be pretty insular. That's more to do with education more than anything else though.

Let's not forget it can work both ways. There are plenty of people in the UK with poor education too and some are insular also. You actually see examples of that often in Burnley and at times, even on this board. The biggest difference is probably in part due to the UK being so close to other countries and being part of a bigger collective.

Thereoux could also make shocking documentaries in the UK but chooses not to because it doesn't fit in with what British people want to see. They want to see crazies somewhere else, not on their own soil but you'd be a fool to think there aren't any right wing extremists in the UK also, especially given modern social media etc.
Don’t get me wrong SD, I like the US and the people I’ve met there and worked with. Just saying to a man they have had a very different world view than your average Brit, and God only knows how much you don’t need to tell me there are Brits around - on a daily basis I wonder how some remember to breath. Absolutely no offence meant to you or anyone close.