Russia Invades

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3052 times
Has Liked: 5015 times

Re: Russia Invades

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:06 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:24 pm
I think everyone needs to bear in mind that you can't expect a democratic country to switch off its reliance on Russian oil and gas overnight

They certainly could improve the speed in which they supply weapons to Ukraine, but again, the complicated relationship between Russia and Germany (based on a lot of history) makes that not as easy as it looks

Put it one way, if we were as reliant on Russian oil and gas as Germany is, I don't think we'd be acting any differently than German is

It is depressing, but its reality I feel
That would depend who is in charge of us.
I think, or hope, we would act differently, and I certainly think we would with BJ in charge.
I don't want to turn this political, and I know most people hate him, but he's been true to Ukraine since day one. Which is why they at least like him.

I don't pretend for one second this is easy for Germany, it isn't because of the internal consequences, but doing the right thing shouldn't have a price.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8057 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:08 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:06 pm
That would depend who is in charge of us.
I think, or hope, we would act differently, and I certainly think we would with BJ in charge.
I don't want to turn this political, and I know most people hate him, but he's been true to Ukraine since day one. Which is why they at least like him.

I don't pretend for one second this is easy for Germany, it isn't because of the internal consequences, but doing the right thing shouldn't have a price.
I don't think we would if we had the levels of dependence on Russian oil and gas

You are talking about shutting down factories and rationing energy to houses and homes

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3020 times
Has Liked: 3737 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:30 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:55 pm
It is getting concerning regarding the lack of supplies getting through to the Ukrainian army, Russia seem to be gaining some momentum by sheer weight of numbers. Hopefully when the USA kit arrives it should help.
Very concerning.

I’ve been watching all of the videos on UA Weapons and Rob Lee’s twitter pages (tend to catch up at night on all that was posted the day before). One thing that’s occurred to me for weeks from all the craters in the ground is just how many missiles are needed/wasted before one actually strikes a target. To the completely uninitiated, they appear to have been quite wasteful and I’m not shocked of reports they’re running out.

Although I’ve also been seeing lots of Ukrainian strikes on ammo stores - they seem to be targeting them a lot - so I’m hoping that it might also be an issue for the Russians too.

I generally think Russia seem to be getting on top and their act together so I’m hoping we (the West) restock them quickly with all they need.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:35 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:08 pm
I don't think we would if we had the levels of dependence on Russian oil and gas

You are talking about shutting down factories and rationing energy to houses and homes
I think it depends on what scale you’re talking but we all over consume generally and I’d hope we as a nation would all tolerate a bit of disruption to our lives for the greater good. And support a(ny) government that took that approach.
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret KateR

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:12 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:08 pm

I am, and I know it would hurt, but if we aren't prepared to tighten our belts and do without, to help the people of Ukraine, then this country isn't worth a ****.
Our parents or Grandparents had to put up with a lot worse in WWII. Blackouts, air raids, rationing. Could you imagine the world we would live in today if they hadn't been prepared to suffer the consequences, if they had taken the easy option and appeased Hitler.

There are always people on this board quick to criticise the old fogies on here, but even those of us not old enough to live through the war, still grew up in a time when if you couldn't afford it, you learnt to live without. The modern generation, or too many of them, have had whatever they want laid on a plate for them since birth, and the idea of having to do without is just something they couldn't comprehend or accept. There will be a far bigger price to pay if we allow Putin to get away with his bullying, far bigger.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg conyoviejo

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:04 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:12 pm
I am, and I know it would hurt, but if we aren't prepared to tighten our belts and do without, to help the people of Ukraine, then this country isn't worth a ****.
Our parents or Grandparents had to put up with a lot worse in WWII. Blackouts, air raids, rationing. Could you imagine the world we would live in today if they hadn't been prepared to suffer the consequences, if they had taken the easy option and appeased Hitler.

There are always people on this board quick to criticise the old fogies on here, but even those of us not old enough to live through the war, still grew up in a time when if you couldn't afford it, you learnt to live without. The modern generation, or too many of them, have had whatever they want laid on a plate for them since birth, and the idea of having to do without is just something they couldn't comprehend or accept. There will be a far bigger price to pay if we allow Putin to get away with his bullying, far bigger.
The huge similarity between you, me and the youngest person on this board is that none of us have lived through a war or suffered any of the effects of it

You could make an argument that all ages would be unprepared for what would happen if we had to suffer cuts of 50% in our energy consumption, and the recession that would follow, and I'm just slightly more realistic in that people of all ages wouldn't put up with it

Your points about the sacrifices made by those no longer with us are of course perfectly valid and I agree with them 100% btw

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:41 pm

LeadBelly wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:28 pm
"Jesus I don't think I'll ever stop getting annoyed at posts like this"

Not very nice on a thread that's meant to be for information/exchanging views.
If you disagree, just say so and explain why. Otherwise this thread will turn into the usual insult-slinging fest.
I thought I'd explained below it tbf

I'm just not sure that we (who won't be affected by a total ban on oil and gas imported from Russia) can ask other European countries to do it

And considering its only just over three months, the European nations are making great strides to removing their reliance on Russian oil and gas, and they will be less reliant over time

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1977 times
Has Liked: 2857 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:17 pm

STUDY OF WAR UPDATE for the 12th (if not already posted)

https://twitter.com/georgewbarros/statu ... _LoW_qgSrQ

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:14 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:04 pm
Jesus

I don't think I'll ever stop getting annoyed at posts like this

You'd have to be close to ninety to have lived through the war, close to eighty to have suffered any shortages because of it

The huge similarity between you, me and the youngest person on this board is that none of us have lived through a war or suffered any of the effects of it

You could make an argument that all ages would be unprepared for what would happen if we had to suffer cuts of 50% in our energy consumption, and the recession that would follow, and I'm just slightly more realistic in that people of all ages wouldn't put up with it

Your points about the sacrifices made by those no longer with us are of course perfectly valid and I agree with them 100% btw
I'm not saying you're not being realistic, just that if you're right then the country's gone to the dogs.
Anybody who puts their comfort ahead of what the Ukrainians are suffering is beyond words, just disgusting.

It was wonderful to see Europe and the World pull together, to provide the Ukraine with as much support as necessary to give Russian aggression a bloody nose, but these last 4 weeks have been sad.
The war has taken a twist with Russia focusing its might on the Donbas, so it was never likely to be the same, but a lot of that support has gone lukewarm. Not because people have changed their opinion of Russian aggression, but because some governments don't want the hardship sanctions were always going to cause, internally.
Ukraine doesn't have the time for the EU to discuss the pros and cons, they need the support now.

It makes me angry, and ashamed, not at you lancs, but anybody who cannot see that.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:35 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:14 am
I'm not saying you're not being realistic, just that if you're right then the country's gone to the dogs.
Anybody who puts their comfort ahead of what the Ukrainians are suffering is beyond words, just disgusting.

It was wonderful to see Europe and the World pull together, to provide the Ukraine with as much support as necessary to give Russian aggression a bloody nose, but these last 4 weeks have been sad.
The war has taken a twist with Russia focusing its might on the Donbas, so it was never likely to be the same, but a lot of that support has gone lukewarm. Not because people have changed their opinion of Russian aggression, but because some governments don't want the hardship sanctions were always going to cause, internally.
Ukraine doesn't have the time for the EU to discuss the pros and cons, they need the support now.

It makes me angry, and ashamed, not at you lancs, but anybody who cannot see that.
I'm not disagreeing with you Colburn, its just that I think I'm more realistic about how the country would react sadly

Everyone is a lot more selfish these days, and that is every age group as well

I think as well that some of the reporting on how the EU are reacting is (sadly) based on the problems we are still having over here since you know what, and its not that I don't believe them, but I think we are still struggling to see a balanced set of reporting, certainly on Germany (who defo deserve some criticism btw) and France

Overall, I think the West has reacted well to the invasion, and will continue to do so, but no one expected a full on war between the two biggest militaries in Europe and the stocks of military equipment reflect that

I hope (though I've not seen anything) that the armaments manufacture in the West is ramping up production, because the only way that Russia wins is if the supply to Ukraine fails

But I don't think that will happen
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:54 pm

Link to a utube video, compilation of combat footage from both sides.

https://youtu.be/fUIxCUGr8LA
This user liked this post: Smile

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:57 pm

Part of the real problem now is, many countries have given Ukraine most of what they can spare.

I have read we have have all our NLAWS. No more to give.

We have hastily built something so they can use Brimstone missiles and also Harpoon missiles.

The US has apparently sent 1/3 of its stocks of Javelin and stringers.

These things cannot be replaced quickly.

Elbarad
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by Elbarad » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:20 pm

I don't know how it is in England, by my little town of 1100 folks in the US state of Nebraska has an artillery piece sitting about a block from my house in front of the local veteran's club/bar. I'm tempted to send it, it's a bit of an eyesore to be fair. Hah.

But seriously, you've a decent point there, it's not like either the USA or EU has been on a war footing. So production wasn't geared up for it, add to this the supply chain issues caused by the pandemic and it's not easy. But hopefully we can keep them supplied.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:24 pm

It seems the rouble continues to defy expectations and sanctions…

REUTERS: Rouble hits fresh highs against dollar, euro

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1536 ... EeTc7JsVrA

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:26 pm

Phillips OBrien: This is a really interesting set of reflections by US Undersecretary of Defense Colin Kahl.
@DOD_Policy . Tries to put what we are seeing in the Donbas in perspective, well done I would say in comparison to all those who are saying the Russians have somehow been succeeding there.

https://twitter.com/phillipspobrien/sta ... SkUgIXtj3w

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:43 pm

NEXTA: Experts" on Russian TV, who forgot to take their pills, keep imagining that they live in "Mighty Russian Empire" trying to scare West with nuclear strike.Their main argument for turning world into nuclear dust is "Who needs a world without Russia in it?"

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/153 ... SkUgIXtj3w

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:51 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:43 pm
NEXTA: Experts" on Russian TV, who forgot to take their pills, keep imagining that they live in "Mighty Russian Empire" trying to scare West with nuclear strike.Their main argument for turning world into nuclear dust is "Who needs a world without Russia in it?"

You can tell that those who 'get it' were struggling to keep a straight face.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:56 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:51 pm
You can tell that those who 'get it' were struggling to keep a straight face.
Indeed, delusion of the highest order… even Nexta put a clown emoji before the tweet… pretty unusual for a world agency to point out how ridiculous the Russian claims are

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:32 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:24 pm

Well, Russia appears to have successfully driven the US and the UK and EU into a recession . Whilst forcing countries to pay for oil and gas in Roubles.

Next winter will be a lot of starving people in Africa.

Stock markets falling , lots of peoples investments are down 15-20% so far.

It is going to be a difficult winter coming up.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:55 pm

Moscow stock exchange has stopped trading in the Swiss Franc.

Isolating itself further.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:03 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:32 pm
Well, Russia appears to have successfully driven the US and the UK and EU into a recession . Whilst forcing countries to pay for oil and gas in Roubles.

Next winter will be a lot of starving people in Africa.

Stock markets falling , lots of peoples investments are down 15-20% so far.

It is going to be a difficult winter coming up.
Still living in a false and alternative reality. I think a war of this scale was always going to have global repercussions, as we are seeing. But Russi is in for economic collapse, so long os the West holds its nerve and gets the foot back on the gas for supporting Ukraine and doesn’t cave and ‘buy’ into a face saving solution for Russia. For their part the Russians continue to peddle their Empire ambition… the West should be taking that talk very seriously, and should be ramping up as a direct result of such talk… not easing off (if that is indeed is what has been happening)..and making sure our efforts are redoubled in Ukraine.

maidenover
Been Liked: 66 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by maidenover » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:29 pm

Elbarad wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:20 pm
I don't know how it is in England, by my little town of 1100 folks in the US state of Nebraska has an artillery piece sitting about a block from my house in front of the local veteran's club/bar. I'm tempted to send it, it's a bit of an eyesore to be fair. Hah.
Hi Elbarad, Oregon resident here. Mrs Maidenover had a great idea: Take every AR-15 off every gun nut in the US and send them to Ukraine”s military. Much better them being used against invading Russian forces than our own school children.

Never happen unfortunately, and I don’t want to turn this into a political thread !

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:51 pm

OSINTtechnical: Ukrainian 2S7 in the east

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/stat ... SkUgIXtj3w

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:53 pm

OSINTtechnical: Ukrainian soldiers hit a Russian armored vehicle with an RK3 Corsar ATGM

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/stat ... SkUgIXtj3w

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:04 pm

KYIV Independent: Explosions reported in Russian-occupied Nova Kakhovka, Kherson Oblast.

Social media users published videos and photos of explosions at a warehouse with Russian military ammunition, online newspaper Ukrainska Pravda reported.

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/sta ... SkUgIXtj3w

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:05 pm

NEXTA: German howitzers Panzerhaubitze 2000 will go to #Ukraine in the near future. This was stated by German Defense Minister Christine Lambrecht. The training of Ukrainian soldiers to conduct combat operations on the PzH 2000 is coming to an end.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:50 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:24 pm

Not sure this is such a bad thing given imports have dropped of a cliff and it damages exports. Obviously concerning them or they wouldn’t be reducing their 9.5%(!!!!!) interest rate.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:54 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:04 pm
KYIV Independent: Explosions reported in Russian-occupied Nova Kakhovka, Kherson Oblast.

Social media users published videos and photos of explosions at a warehouse with Russian military ammunition, online newspaper Ukrainska Pravda reported.

Good stuff. More ammo dumps targeted. Wonder whether this is from the long range systems provided by the US.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:25 am

Today’s analysis, with 2D and 3D maps. These are great videos he puts together.

https://youtu.be/HTp6PlNzM3I

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:27 am

Natural gas prices dropped 17% yesterday or maybe the day before

Gas flows dropped 40% from Russia.

It’s a wild guess, but perhaps most EU countries storage facilities are now full.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:49 am

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:50 pm
Not sure this is such a bad thing given imports have dropped of a cliff and it damages exports. Obviously concerning them or they wouldn’t be reducing their 9.5%(!!!!!) interest rate.
Already running out of parts from the west, things they cannot make and don’t understand like ABS systems. If they don’t have the tech in house to build cars, it bodes well that the infrastructure is not sufficient to keep going in isolation. Russia has cut off their economic oxygen supply and holding the Ruble up only goes so far. If they have been diverting all the gas and oil money to the front… Russia is going to have a winter to remember this year. Famine looks certain

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:35 pm

OSINTtechnical: A group of Russian soldiers man a 9M113 Konkurs ATGM, appears they are enjoying a bit of alcohol.

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/stat ... RxKncTw4-Q

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 995 times
Has Liked: 2040 times

Post by LeadBelly » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:50 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:04 pm

Nova Kakhovka appears to be about 50 km from the nearest Ukrainian occupied territory so would have to be something like MLRS if theyve got them yet. Maybe more likely sabotage or infiltration? Anyway it looks like a big fire and a few bangs going off there https://twitter.com/Archer83Able/status ... 8330631168

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:57 pm

ROB LEE: A Russian defense industry source tells TASS that Russia will not purchase an additional 6 Project 22160 patrol ships as planned because of their poor performance during the war, including issues with seaworthiness, armor, engines, and air defenses.

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1537 ... RxKncTw4-Q

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:00 pm

One of the replies to the above: What they really mean is that they can't actually afford one any time soon.

https://twitter.com/sudoroot9/status/15 ... RxKncTw4-Q

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:02 pm

UKRAINE WEAPONS TRAKER: Vector Pinzgauer 718 6x6 armored patrol vehicles were delivered from the UK to Ukraine today.

Interestingly, these vehicles were purchased by a Ukrainian soldier from a private company, using his own money and then donated them to the the Territorial Defense Forces.

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1534 ... RxKncTw4-Q

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:03 pm

Seems a bit pointless posting maps and stuff at the moment because nothing is really moving

Its costing both sides lots of men and equipment to move from village to village, which is both tragic and almost completely pointless

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:08 pm

OSINTtechnical: Russian Wagner PMC forces in eastern Ukraine, note the tactical slides.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:09 pm

OSINTtechnical: Another MiG-29 in Ukrainian Falcons livery. This one is carrying 2 R-27R (AA-10 Alamo) semi-active-radar-homing BVR and 4 R-73 (AA-11 Archer) short-range infrared homing missiles.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:06 pm

OSINTtechnical: Ukrainian forces reportedly shelled Russian positions at the Yasynivka Coke Plant in Makiivka, Donetsk Oblast

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:10 pm

KYIV Independent: EU, Israel and Egypt sign deal for gas exports to Europe.

The EU, Israel, and Egypt signed a trilateral natural gas deal in Cairo on June 15 as Europe seeks alternatives to Russian gas. Gas supplies will be shipped via Egypt’s LNG export infrastructure.

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/sta ... RxKncTw4-Q

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:19 pm

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1537059861179027456

Macron calls for ramping up of assistance to Ukraine while stressing that the war will only end at the negotiating table

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:27 pm

NEXTA: Russian furniture company Hoff is considering buying IKEA assets.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/153 ... RxKncTw4-Q

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:23 pm

KYIV Independent : Bloomberg: US plans to announce additional $650 million in weapons for Ukraine.

On June 15, Biden’s administration will announce providing additional aid worth $650 million for Ukraine, including “vehicle-mounted Harpoon anti-ship missiles,” Bloomberg reports.

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/sta ... RxKncTw4-Q

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:38 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61816337

Inside the NATO HQ co-ordinating Ukrainian arms and ammunition

Big take from this is that NATO don't think Ukraine will run out of arms or ammunition

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2232 times

Post by mkmel » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:29 am

Hipper
Been Liked: 1170 times
Has Liked: 916 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:32 am

elwaclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:27 pm
NEXTA: Russian furniture company Hoff is considering buying IKEA assets.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/153 ... RxKncTw4-Q
They are probably also buying up all the furniture in the captured areas as it will have already been flattened - flat packs.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:52 pm

https://voxeu.org/article/western-sanct ... istraction

Confused by multiple reports that the sanctions are having no effect, or basically (like me!) completely lost on what, and how, and why, then worry no more

I haven't found a better and more concise explanation that this on sanctions
These 2 users liked this post: Hipper bfcjg

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:33 pm

OSINTtechnical: “The Ukrainians are using much better artillery techniques and they’re having a pretty good effect on the Russians. The Russians have lost probably somewhere in the tune of 20 to 30 percent of their armored forces”

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/stat ... 4tEuSSDvFA

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:29 pm

NEXTA: Macron and Scholz, during their visit to Kyiv, said that France, Germany, Italy and Romania are in favor of immediately granting Ukraine status of an EU candidate.

Macron also assured that Europe would not demand territorial concessions from Ukraine to resolve conflict.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/153 ... 4tEuSSDvFA