Russia Invades

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Re: Russia Invades

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:59 pm

Putin thinks we are weak, and who can blame him. Just look at our pitiful response after the Salisbury poisonings. A foreign power attempting to kill people in the middle of a town centre, and we played right up to Putin's impression of us. The same goes for the weak sanctions the other day, after weeks of Johnson sounding like the toughest of the tough.

I watched his sanction speech online, and you should have seen the look on some of the faces on the Tory benches. They looked appalled. I never believed the stories about him being 'compromised', but now I do. Also can't believe a word he says about anything, and he's the worst possible leader to have in the current situation.

I hope and pray the Tory Party replaced him, and I'm not bothered which one of the frontrunners they choose. I want a leader I can have faith in, and I'm not bothered who it is. We replaced Chamberlin when we were in a far, far worse situation; in fact, our very survival was at stake.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:59 pm

I might need to upgrade my winter clothing if we get drafted :lol:

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:06 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:59 pm
Putin thinks we are weak, and who can blame him. Just look at our pitiful response after the Salisbury poisonings. A foreign power attempting to kill people in the middle of a town centre, and we played right up to Putin's impression of us. The same goes for the weak sanctions the other day, after weeks of Johnson sounding like the toughest of the tough.

I watched his sanction speech online, and you should have seen the look on some of the faces on the Tory benches. They looked appalled. I never believed the stories about him being 'compromised', but now I do. Also can't believe a word he says about anything, and he's the worst possible leader to have in the current situation.

I hope and pray the Tory Party replaced him, and I'm not bothered which one of the frontrunners they choose. I want a leader I can have faith in, and I'm not bothered who it is. We replaced Chamberlin when we were in a far, far worse situation; in fact, our very survival was at stake.
I certainly wouldn't check out Fox News interviewing Trump today if you are worried about just how far the Kompromat has gone!

Jesus

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:07 pm

Absolute braindead brainwashed separatists, turning their back on their own people and are entirely to blame for this. Funded and aided by Putin all along, gave him the confidence to freely attack and invade.

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by Woonderbah » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:08 pm

Fear not.. Ashley Barnes is warming up

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:11 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:50 pm
Yes, but the Tsars got forced out because a war became far too expensive and millions of people started to starve
Substantially different circumstances. Not least of which, Putin has ultimate power and isn’t facing attack from his people.

Murger

Post by Murger » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:15 pm

Just read on Twitter of unconfirmed reports that the Chinese have entered Taiwanese waters.

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 357 times
Has Liked: 330 times

Post by HahaYeah » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:15 pm

Wonder where the clown world regime installed comedian puppet president of Ukraine has fled to..

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:16 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:35 am
It all depends on where the Ukrainian army is and how quickly they react

The battle trained troops are in the Donbass, and they are effectively isolated if the Russians control the bridges over the Dnieper

Thats the reality

Its a blitzkrieg, relying on the Ukrainians to collapse quickly

If the Russians control the coast and the airports, the bulk of the Ukrainian army is surrounded and there are Russian troops on the Western Border, then they is very little we can do to stop them

But I must stress, this will cost the Russians a lot of missiles, a lot of tanks and a lot of real casualties, the longer the Ukrainians can resist, the less likely it is that Russia can win

(I wish I could put it down on a map, which would make it easier to explain, but my thing is military history, especially the Eastern Front in WWII, and all the places being mentioned today were all mentioned repeatedly 41-45)
That Belarus lying scumbag has made the Ukrainians job incredibly more difficult.

PeterWilton
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by PeterWilton » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:17 pm

Air raid siren going off right now in Kyiv.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:18 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:35 am
It all depends on where the Ukrainian army is and how quickly they react

The battle trained troops are in the Donbass, and they are effectively isolated if the Russians control the bridges over the Dnieper

Thats the reality

Its a blitzkrieg, relying on the Ukrainians to collapse quickly

If the Russians control the coast and the airports, the bulk of the Ukrainian army is surrounded and there are Russian troops on the Western Border, then they is very little we can do to stop them

But I must stress, this will cost the Russians a lot of missiles, a lot of tanks and a lot of real casualties, the longer the Ukrainians can resist, the less likely it is that Russia can win

(I wish I could put it down on a map, which would make it easier to explain, but my thing is military history, especially the Eastern Front in WWII, and all the places being mentioned today were all mentioned repeatedly 41-45)
It’s very difficult to get any sort of accurate picture.

But your assessment, Lancaster, appears to be sound.

The Ukrainians appear to be holding ground in the east, which you would expect as they have been dug in for 8 years.

Footage from Kherson shows columns of battered Ukrainian tanks, and the invasion from the Crimea northwards appears to be swift.

Kharkiv, by the sounds of it, is one huge battle with both sides taking losses.

Which leaves the question what forces Ukraine has left to defend the northern approaches to Kiev. Enough to withstand a combined Belarusian/Russian armoured spearhead? It’s difficult to see.

You can see a situation where Russian troops are in Kiev by tonight/tomorrow.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:19 pm

I wonder what Maggie Thatcher would have done ?

Stayingup
Been Liked: 922 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:20 pm

Inflation already up and prices will be up again now after this. And still we aren't considering utilzing our own energy sources.
Last edited by Stayingup on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterWilton

Post by PeterWilton » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:20 pm

HahaYeah wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:15 pm
Wonder where the clown world regime installed comedian puppet president of Ukraine has fled to..
A characteristically clownish contribution.

PeterWilton

Post by PeterWilton » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:21 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:20 pm
Inflation already up and prices will be up again now after this. And still we aren't considering utilzing our own energy sources.
They're not "ours". We don't own them. Private companies own them and will sell them to whoever pays the most.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:24 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:18 pm
It’s very difficult to get any sort of accurate picture.

But your assessment, Lancaster, appears to be sound.

The Ukrainians appear to be holding ground in the east, which you would expect as they have been dug in for 8 years.

Footage from Kherson shows columns of battered Ukrainian tanks, and the invasion from the Crimea northwards appears to be swift.

Kharkiv, by the sounds of it, is one huge battle with both sides taking losses.

Which leaves the question what forces Ukraine has left to defend the northern approaches to Kiev. Enough to withstand a combined Belarusian/Russian armoured spearhead? It’s difficult to see.

You can see a situation where Russian troops are in Kiev by tonight/tomorrow.
Can't argue with that sadly

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:24 pm

Americas shambolic abandonment of Afghan appears to have emboldened Putin.

Anybody seen Biden today? You'd have expected, surely, for the President to have been woken once the bombing began , regardless of the time locally and a statement made.

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:25 pm

It's odd that these wars and conflicts always seem to happen more in recent times when the left is in charge in America and especially when the left is in power in both the US and the UK! :roll:

I'm no Trump supporter but he under-saw one of the most peaceful eras in our recent world history and whatever your political persuasion, that is a fact!... His meeting with Kim Jong-un was a work of genius and calmed the whole situation down in that area of the world and I'm absolutely convinced, along with a lot of other well respected political analysts, that this invasion of Ukraine would never have happened if Trump was still in charge!... He would have been on the phone to Putin by now and have done a deal... Trump's restrained handling of the Iran crisis with everyone around baying for blood was also very impressive.

I said as soon as the Democrats were voted in that we would go back to endless world conflicts after years of peace under Trump!
These 2 users liked this post: HahaYeah Top Claret

PeterWilton

Post by PeterWilton » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:30 pm

BigChaCha wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:25 pm
It's odd that these wars and conflicts always seem to happen more in recent times when the left is in charge in America and especially when the left is in power in both the US and the UK! :roll:

I'm no Trump supporter but he under-saw one of the most peaceful eras in our recent world history and whatever your political persuasion, that is a fact!... His meeting with Kim Jong-un was a work of genius and calmed the whole situation down in that area of the world and I'm absolutely convinced, along with a lot of other well respected political analysts, that this invasion of Ukraine would never have happened if Trump was still in charge!... He would have been on the phone to Putin by now and have done a deal... Trump's restrained handling of the Iran crisis with everyone around baying for blood was also very impressive.

I said as soon as the Democrats were voted in that we would go back to endless world conflicts after years of peace under Trump!
:lol: Good one.
These 2 users liked this post: Bordeauxclaret fatboy47

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:31 pm

Best laugh all day.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:32 pm

PeterWilton wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:21 pm
They're not "ours". We don't own them. Private companies own them and will sell them to whoever pays the most.
Oh well, we just continue to send $1 billion to Russia each year then .

While we obsess about net zero and ignore the natural resources under our feet and worry about diesel-powered cars and vans. Putin is coining it in while his diesel-powered tanks roll into Ukraine.

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 312 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:34 pm

Fan Fiction is an underrated genre.

"I'm no Trump fan" arf.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2326 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:35 pm

RicardoMontalban wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:34 pm
Fan Fiction is an underrated genre.

"I'm no Trump fan" arf.
:lol:

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:35 pm

When Russia placed nuclear weapons in Cuba, America, unsurprisingly got upset, and it nearly led to WW111. Now, when the West, pushed by the USA, wants to do the same, why is it surprising that Russia gets upset?

Gorbechov and Reagan reached an agreement that the West, wouldn't push East and the East wouldn't push West. Since the Berlin Wall came down, America has pushed, and pushed and pushed and former Soviet States have fallen under the West's influence. You reap what you sow.

Clearly, Putin has overstepped the mark, but that's what happens when you continually tread on someone's toes.

Just saying.
Last edited by Gordaleman on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HahaYeah

Post by HahaYeah » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:35 pm

The Enclosure wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:19 pm
I wonder what Maggie Thatcher would have done ?
Can't see her sharing a crack pipe with the Bidens somehow.

Falcon
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:37 pm

BigChaCha wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But holy hell these people walk among us
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

TsarBomba

Post by TsarBomba » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:38 pm

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but there looks to be another armoured column in the Volyn region, which would cut off the land corridor to Poland.

With Russia seizing and/or putting airfields out of action across the country, the West may not be able to provide any sort of aid to Ukraine very soon.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:41 pm

BigChaCha wrote:

Surprisingly, I can't disagree with any of this. Like you I'm not convinced this would have happened with Trump as President. But Biden and his cronies will spout lots of supportive words and impose sanctions that will have little affect but no more involvement than that.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2326 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:41 pm

Them goose feather parkas might be coming in handy soon.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:44 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:38 pm
I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but there looks to be another armoured column in the Volyn region, which would cut off the land corridor to Poland.

With Russia seizing and/or putting airfields out of action across the country, the West may not be able to provide any sort of aid to Ukraine very soon.
Going to present it as a fait accompli, and tell us "Look, all over now, we promise we won't do anymore"

I think its safe to say that if that is his plan, then he's misjudged it a hell of a lot

One thing that is very clear out of this is that the Western alliances (EU/NATO) are holding strong, and those aligned to one but not the other (us)

I would say (and its been said from Day One of this crisis by the experts) is that the net result of this is a more unified West, which is exactly what Putin is worried about

But I stress, the longer Ukraine keeps fighting, the less chance that Russia can come out of this with anything

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2169 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:45 pm

Falcon wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:37 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Refute it?

For all his supposed flaws Pres Trump did more for world peace than any world leader in my lifetime.

Doesn’t matter if you like him or loathe him, that’s pretty objective.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:47 pm

Just checking here, you think having a more pro-Russian US president would somehow have stopped Russia invading Ukraine?

That is the position that people are taking?

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind such a stance if that is ok with you

claretandbluesky
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by claretandbluesky » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:47 pm

Tony Greenstein and Chris Williamson both close allies of Corbyn laying the blame solely on NATO. That’s how warped the left are.
This user liked this post: Stayingup

PeterWilton

Post by PeterWilton » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:48 pm

It's really difficult to think these people are all there in the head.

Surprisingly, I can't disagree with any of this. Like you I'm not convinced this would have happened with Trump as President. But Biden and his cronies will spout lots of supportive words and impose sanctions that will have little affect but no more involvement than that.

PeterWilton

Post by PeterWilton » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:48 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:45 pm
Refute it?

For all his supposed flaws Pres Trump did more for world peace than any world leader in my lifetime.

Doesn’t matter if you like him or loathe him, that’s pretty objective.
Name some things he did.

TsarBomba

Post by TsarBomba » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:50 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:44 pm
Going to present it as a fait accompli, and tell us "Look, all over now, we promise we won't do anymore"

I think its safe to say that if that is his plan, then he's misjudged it a hell of a lot

One thing that is very clear out of this is that the Western alliances (EU/NATO) are holding strong, and those aligned to one but not the other (us)

I would say (and its been said from Day One of this crisis by the experts) is that the net result of this is a more unified West, which is exactly what Putin is worried about

But I stress, the longer Ukraine keeps fighting, the less chance that Russia can come out of this with anything
They are certainly fighting, that’s for sure.

Battle underway to retake Gostomel airfield.

God bless them. Every single one of them.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret longsidepies

PeterWilton

Post by PeterWilton » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:52 pm

claretandbluesky wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:47 pm
Tony Greenstein and Chris Williamson both close allies of Corbyn laying the blame solely on NATO. That’s how warped the left are.
They're not "the left". They're a part of it but don't pretend they are representative of the left unless you're prepared for me to declare that certain people are representative of "the right".

Why can't i be "the left"? I'm definitely left-wing, so why not?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:53 pm

PeterWilton wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:52 pm
They're not "the left". They're a part of it but don't pretend they are representative of the left unless you're prepared for me to declare that certain people are representative of "the right".

Why can't i be "the left"? I'm definitely left-wing, so why not?
I dislike Corbyn with every breath I have, blame him a lot for why we are where we are as a country, but I strongly advise people to check what he's tweeted today

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:53 pm

Yes, it's rare but there are those that actually look at facts and are not blinded by ideology!

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:54 pm

BigChaCha wrote:

True, Trump wouldn't have allowed this to happen and politically i'm neither left or right, I'm not a sheep that way, I'm unbiased and disagree with both sides equally.
Last edited by KRBFC on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:55 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:50 pm
They are certainly fighting, that’s for sure.

Battle underway to retake Gostomel airfield.

God bless them. Every single one of them.
Its a country of 45 million and absolutely huge

How on earth Putin thinks he can keep hold of it if it doesn't want to be held is completely incomprehensible

UEFA moving European Cup final, Schalke 04 removing Gazprom from their shirts

PeterWilton

Post by PeterWilton » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:58 pm

BigChaCha wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:53 pm
Yes, it's rare but there are those that actually look at facts and are not blinded by ideology!
Let's talk about one of those achievements real quick. North Korea. What did he achieve with regards to North Korea? He went over there to their country, shook hands with Kim Jong-Un, saluted their military (lol). So what did in exchange for that legitimisation? What was the deal?

Another thing he did was kill the Iran agreement. Iran were complying with the deal, not developing nukes. Trump withdrew from it anyway, allowing them to develop nukes again. What did he get for that?
Last edited by PeterWilton on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Billy Balfour

HahaYeah

Post by HahaYeah » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:58 pm

I don't think Russia will keep the whole Ukraine,just the East and probably Odessa.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:59 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:47 pm
Just checking here, you think having a more pro-Russian US president would somehow have stopped Russia invading Ukraine?

That is the position that people are taking?

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind such a stance if that is ok with you
Trump is not pro Russian, he's anti Biden.

Trump said the Russian move was genius, not that he supported it, he said it wouldn't have happened under his watch.

PeterWilton

Post by PeterWilton » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:01 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:54 pm
True, Trump wouldn't have allowed this to happen and politically i'm neither left or right, I'm not a sheep that way, I'm unbiased and disagree with both sides equally.
When Russia attacked America by interfering in America's election he did everything he could to do nothing. It took acts of congress to force him to impose sanctions, and even then he dragged his feet. What are you talking about?

Falcon
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:01 pm

BigChaCha wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:53 pm
You got me down as a staunch Biden fan then? I'm happy that he's there over the old bloke (if only for the news to actually report on something other than his daily twitter posts) but I'm not sure (based on nothing) why I'm suddenly 'blinded by idealogy'

So the pro-Russia former President Trump who has been singing Putin's praises would've done more than the existing incumbent and stopped this war. How?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:01 pm

Anyone who identifies themselves as left or right wing is a complete sheep, they fail to look at things without bias. It's okay to agree/disagree with both sides at different times.
These 3 users liked this post: Falcon CoolClaret KateR

Murger

Post by Murger » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:02 pm

Come on Turtle, if all this was going on under Trump, you'd be all over it, and don't pretend otherwise.
This user liked this post: Top Claret

PeterWilton

Post by PeterWilton » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:03 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:54 pm
He also sided with Russia over his own intelligence services on his calamitous trip to Helsinki. Even his own party was flipping out about that.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:04 pm

Falcon wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:01 pm
You got me down as a staunch Biden fan then? I'm happy that he's there over the old bloke (if only for the news to actually report on something other than his daily twitter posts) but I'm not sure (based on nothing) why I'm suddenly 'blinded by idealogy'

So the pro-Russia former President Trump who has been singing Putin's praises would've done more than the existing incumbent and stopped this war. How?
Well you took words and spun it into pro Russian, what Trump actually said was Putin's strategy was genius, he never said he agreed with it and infact said it wouldn't have happened under his watch.

Wether you like or love Trump, lets at least not spin words, it helps nothing.
These 2 users liked this post: KateR Top Claret