Let’s look at where we might improve even further!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Let’s look at where we might improve even further!

Post by Darnhill Claret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:43 pm

For those who take notes, you will know that I’m a positive fan. With that in mind I want to look at an area that slowed us down and reduced our efficiency during the game. Great to see Dwight playing further forward in Maxwel’s role (perhaps). Two things happened a lot in the first half. Nearly every pass was to his right foot and his first touch or move was always to retreat. Or was it that Dwight was creating enough space away from his nearest marker. It looked slightly better in the second half but I do sit in the Bob Lord. Any observations or comments?

Darnhill Claret

Re: Let’s look at where we might improve even further!

Post by Darnhill Claret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:23 pm

Should read, ‘or was it that Dwight wasn’t creating enough space away from his nearest marker’?

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:39 pm

He simply needs to practice practice practice, don't think I've ever seen anyone so predominantly one footed. I was predominantly right footed, but practiced every day until eventually I became happy to use either, it's as much about body shape as anything, but I'm surprised dyche doesn't have him doing this on a daily basis, he may do but he's play would suggest not.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:45 pm

It was wonderful to see us pinging the ball about last night. All to do with confidence of course but for a while now our passing has been so pedestrian I could have made a few interceptions.
Dwight’s alright, leave the lad be.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:47 pm

Verb: practise
Noun: practice

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:50 pm

I thought he played his best game for some time, but on a going night for him it was a shame that he couldn’t receive the ball facing their defenders. There was a brief spell where each touch from Dwight resulted in him carrying the ball across the pitch looking for better options. This meant that he was unable to test their right back. Still he linked well with Pieters, Mee, Tarks, Brownhill, particularly in the first half.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:51 pm

Dwight is class - his one footedness isn’t going to improve us further.
What will is finding the right formula between WW,jay, cornet, Lennon, Dwight, JBG, Vydra as our best front 2 and wingers. That is the area of this team where we don’t know our best players and where they play..?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:56 pm

Oh good, we haven't had complaints about McNeil being predominantly one footed since the weekend.

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:18 pm

Second half Dwight was able to go past their defenders on the outside which led to several dangerous crosses which on another day could have produced a goal or two. Ashley Barnes is also looking more like his old self. Just has that look about him that he has rediscovered some confidence. Hope that he is producing in training.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:58 pm

We watched Dwight produce the most skillfull act I've seen for quite a while last night when he had 3 round him. Taking on all 3 twice and still coming away with the ball.
Appreciate it while you can.
This user liked this post: Claretmoon

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:18 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:39 pm
He simply needs to practice practice practice, don't think I've ever seen anyone so predominantly one footed. I was predominantly right footed, but practiced every day until eventually I became happy to use either, it's as much about body shape as anything, but I'm surprised dyche doesn't have him doing this on a daily basis, he may do but he's play would suggest not.
As I recall Maradona was very one footed. But what a foot it was!!!

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:33 pm

Anyone criticising any aspect of that performance against Spurs knows nothing about football. That was the consummate Burnley performance… EVERY ONE OF THOSE PLAYERS SHOULD TAKE A BOW… because in all honesty I’ve been verging on happy clapper in my support of player and utter refusal to believe it wouldn’t be or season to go down… but even I did not see a performance like that on the cards a few weeks ago. Pure footballing class.

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:42 am

Well, I’m happy to be a happy clapper, but it doesn’t mean we can’t look at a great performance and still accept there are still individual aspects of that performance that could benefit from a little tweak here and there. Great individual performances all round. I don’t criticise on the back of a poor result or display. By the same token I don’t think I would tell the players to not come in until Saturday either. Thursday off, in on Friday, light training, discuss our opponents and a few drills where we concentrate on passing to our teammates stronger foot, creating space, eg Wout’s goal against Brighton and getting at least one player deep on the far post, in space, at set plays. All things that we could do better. As we have intelligent players I guess we don’t always work on these basics. I know everything can’t be covered but I’ve seen improvements in several areas since the Watford game where the weather came out on top. Never stop trying to turn weaknesses into strengths.

alwaysaclaret

Post by alwaysaclaret » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:03 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:56 pm
Oh good, we haven't had complaints about McNeil being predominantly one footed since the weekend.
I did think he had an excellent game on Wed night, but as the thread is discussing this particular point that's just my opinion, and I bet if you asked him personally, he would admit that if he can improve, that would be one of the area's he'd come up with. But I'll be happy to see him put performances like Wednesday in to the end of the season, more than happy.

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 854 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:11 pm

Antonio Valencia had a decent career and I don’t think I saw him use his left foot once.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:14 pm

Taylor’s return is huge as he works so well with Dwight and can further bolster our left .

alwaysaclaret

Post by alwaysaclaret » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:24 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:14 pm
Taylor’s return is huge as he works so well with Dwight and can further bolster our left .
I think this is a very fine line, Pieters is arguably a better defensive option, and perhaps it's that side of his game which has allowed McNeil a bit more freedom, but then Taylor is far better going forward and he's crosses are great, but it's rare that anyone is on the end of them. He's forays forward means McNeil has more pressure defensively, which all in all possibly affects McNeil's game, but it's a squad game and now Taylor is back in the frame perhaps it depends on the opposition.

alwaysaclaret

Post by alwaysaclaret » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:34 pm

Also having pieters, Taylor McNeil and cornet poses the question where do we play cornet. Yes he's been used up front but given we have weghorst now, plus jrod vydra coming back and Barnes back in the frame it gives us plenty of options but also in a good way gives dyche a headache you could say. All that doesn't mean to say cornet shouldn't be in the team, personally I think we play our best players and cornet is clearly one of them.

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:46 pm

Again, I’m not being a critic, just looking at some areas where we might continue to improve. Onwards and upwards. I’m still backing us, literally, to finish in the top half. I still think we could finish between 10th and 14th.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:48 pm

McNeil was outstanding on Wednesday and looked back to the levels we love to watch him. Can we not just leave it at that?

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:27 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:24 pm
I think this is a very fine line, Pieters is arguably a better defensive option, and perhaps it's that side of his game which has allowed McNeil a bit more freedom, but then Taylor is far better going forward and he's crosses are great, but it's rare that anyone is on the end of them. He's forays forward means McNeil has more pressure defensively, which all in all possibly affects McNeil's game, but it's a squad game and now Taylor is back in the frame perhaps it depends on the opposition.
That’s a fair point , though I feel Dwight has been awful until the Spurs game as Pieters doesn’t really offer the same supply line as Taylor . I also feel Taylor is the luck against better opposition due to his athleticism and ability to push a player right to the byline . Pieters has been a brilliant bargain buy though and I hope we offer him a contract next year ( if he’s out ?)

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:38 pm

I agree that he was great. Didn’t say anything else. He would be able to shine even brighter if passes were made to his left side, just as Ben Mee would require one less touch if passes to him were to his stronger side a little more often. I’m only talking about those times when the man making the pass is under no pressure especially when passed along the back line, because it speeds the process up and makes it harder for our opponents to do a ‘high press’ on us.

I guess some people think it’s ok to rip into our team, our players, our club. Those people think ‘I’ll do it after every defeat’ as if that justifies slagging people off. I like to be supportive when things don’t go to plan. So I think a good time to discuss improvements is when people should be in a better place and therefore not feel attacked. The players won’t be resting on their laurels, they’ll be looking to step it up even more. At least I see that the players are together in this battle against the odds. Let’s hope the supporters are, especially when the going gets tough.