REPORT: A Turf Moor night to savour against Spurs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32390 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

REPORT: A Turf Moor night to savour against Spurs

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:36 pm

These 5 users liked this post: Cirrus_Minor bfcjg martin_p Stayingup tiger76

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18213 times

Re: REPORT: A Turf Moor night to savour against Spurs

Post by Bosscat » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:41 pm

Even some Spurs Fans seem to think we are better PL prospects than Toon or Toffees.
20220224_173902.jpg
20220224_173902.jpg (269.23 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 770 times
Has Liked: 10055 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:10 pm

To add to your comment regarding Eric Pieters, I think he's been the model of consistency since coming in for Taylor.
He's certainly not blessed with pace, but his experience in general helps him read the game.
I still expect to see Salah climb out of his back pocket.😁
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4555 times

Post by MT03ALG » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:21 pm

Also your mention of Connor Roberts. At one point of the second half he showed real pace to thwart the pacy Son....

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 190 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:29 pm

Another brilliant report Tony utc

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4555 times

Post by MT03ALG » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:39 pm

Colne v Nelson on 24th. April, Lenny :lol: :lol:

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:43 pm

Juan Tanamera wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:10 pm
To add to your comment regarding Eric Pieters, I think he's been the model of consistency since coming in for Taylor.
He's certainly not blessed with pace, but his experience in general helps him read the game.
I just realised that they were the only two players I hadn’t mentioned. Both were outstanding last night but I spent much of the second half last night enthusing at how good Pieters was on our side of the pitch. You are right, he’s not blessed with pace, but he’s an outstanding footballer.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:44 pm

MT03ALG wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:21 pm
Also your mention of Connor Roberts. At one point of the second half he showed real pace to thwart the pacy Son....
I think he’s improving game on game as he settles in and comes to terms with how we defend.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1990 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:58 pm

Three points.
Stunned that if we have had 79 PL victories and 49 were at home then 30 were away.
Nick Pope might not have got a touch on Kanes’ header but if had been on target he would have.
Why are night match wins so much better than day games?

So pleased that folk are warming to Erik Pieters. My only problem with Taylor is his one dimensional attacking. Wonderful defender but his push and run overlap just isn’t good enough at this level.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5072 times
Has Liked: 6844 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:06 pm

"Difficult to know what to say about that performance. We clearly have a squad with some decent talent in it, the City game firmly demonstrated that. Unfortunately however, we equally have a squad and manager who are totally incapable of adjusting to the requirements necessary to beat many of the lesser teams in the division. The results against Southampton, Wolves and Burnley are probably more indicative of where we are at, than the City win which demonstrated where we could be.
Although always expecting a difficult match, Burnley surprised me. Whilst being prepared to concede the majority of possession, they did compete and make life difficult for us everywhere on the pitch, whilst also playing some decent football. They deserved their win, and look well capable of producing their normal escape act. I've always fancied Tarkowsky and Mee as a CB pairing.
We will beat Leeds comfortably this weekend, no question. A case of too little too late though, the last few weeks have been damaging and our chances now of finishing ahead of both United and Arsenal are just about zero."
Taken from a Spurs site.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:12 pm

Juan Tanamera wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:10 pm
Watching Pieters reminds me of watching Keith Newton. Probably slower than Pieters but both have tremendous experience that just seems to put them in the right place at the right time. Nice to watch 2 quality Dutch players working their socks off for The Clarets
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:13 pm

We are talking another level with Newton, what a player he was, but Pieters has been outstanding since coming in for Taylor.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 770 times
Has Liked: 10055 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:25 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:13 pm
We are talking another level with Newton, what a player he was, but Pieters has been outstanding since coming in for Taylor.
I was 18 or 19 when we signed Keith Newton.
The kind of age when you're thinking 'No, no, we should be signing upcoming young players, not pensioners like Newton (and Noble too).'
It didn't take long to appreciate what those two brought to the team though.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3078 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:33 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:58 pm
Three points.
Stunned that if we have had 79 PL victories and 49 were at home then 30 were away.
Nick Pope might not have got a touch on Kanes’ header but if had been on target he would have.

So pleased that folk are warming to Erik Pieters. My only problem with Taylor is his one dimensional attacking. Wonderful defender but his push and run overlap just isn’t good enough at this level.
We might see a different Charlie when he gets back. He used to create all sorts, and score goals at Leeds. He's probably another player who has suffered at our rigid style of play, especially defensively. He's never really had licence to try what Roberts does on the other wing. This faster, positive style we have started in attack, may just bring out the best of Taylor, and suit him better as well.

I'm taking it for granted that Charlie will get his place back when match fit, but Eric has never let us down when called on. The only poor game was when he got the short stick to try and play right mid. A typical Dutch footballer, technically very good, and his football brain more than makes up for his lack of pace. If he never played another game for us, he's more than repaid the fee. Stoke must have been nuts to let this guy go so cheap.
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera MT03ALG

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:51 pm

Bit of competition for places now which is great. Lowton Taylor Collins Westwood Cornet Barnes Vydra all missing v Spurs

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:52 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:33 pm
We might see a different Charlie when he gets back. He used to create all sorts, and score goals at Leeds. He's probably another player who has suffered at our rigid style of play, especially defensively. He's never really had licence to try what Roberts does on the other wing. This faster, positive style we have started in attack, may just bring out the best of Taylor, and suit him better as well.

I'm taking it for granted that Charlie will get his place back when match fit, but Eric has never let us down when called on. The only poor game was when he got the short stick to try and play right mid. A typical Dutch footballer, technically very good, and his football brain more than makes up for his lack of pace. If he never played another game for us, he's more than repaid the fee. Stoke must have been nuts to let this guy go so cheap.
They’d shipped out Pieters on loan for the second half of the previous season. He didn’t fit in with the way Nathan Jones wanted to play.

On the subject of Taylor’s goals - he scored three for Leeds and I don’t think he’s suffered in any way by the way we play.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:57 pm

Pieters has been a solid performer every time he has played.

And to say he's not even Belgian ;)

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:57 pm

I think Newton was 31 when we signed him and Pieters is 33 now. So very similar in age and of course position. Newton played over 200 games for us !!!!!

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:00 pm

Belgianclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:57 pm
Pieters has been a solid performer every time he has played.

And to say he's not even Belgian ;)
I wonder if he and Vout talk Double Dutch to each other ?

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3078 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:04 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:52 pm
They’d shipped out Pieters on loan for the second half of the previous season. He didn’t fit in with the way Nathan Jones wanted to play.

On the subject of Taylor’s goals - he scored three for Leeds and I don’t think he’s suffered in any way by the way we play.
It might be only 3, but it's 3 more than for Burnley, and in order to score , you have to shoot. I may have missed it, but I don't recall him having a shot for us. At Leeds he was a Right Wing Back, at Burnley he's a Right Back. I'm not knocking him, I like him a lot, but I'm sure Taylor is capable of playing on the right as Roberts does on the left. If he could overlap McNeil the way Roberts and Lennon do, it would be yet another string to the teams bow. Pieters doesn't have the pace to do that, but Charlie could.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:13 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:58 pm
Three points.

But Taylor gets further forward than Pieters and gets in good crosses. He also links well with McNeil. Pieters has been really good and SD now has a nice problem in who to play at left back. My bet is it will be the more dynamic Taylor.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:15 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:04 pm
It might be only 3, but it's 3 more than for Burnley, and in order to score , you have to shoot. I may have missed it, but I don't recall him having a shot for us. At Leeds he was a Right Wing Back, at Burnley he's a Right Back. I'm not knocking him, I like him a lot, but I'm sure Taylor is capable of playing on the right as Roberts does on the left. If he could overlap McNeil the way Roberts and Lennon do, it would be yet another string to the teams bow. Pieters doesn't have the pace to do that, but Charlie could.
I think you’ve got your rights and lefts mixed up. And he often overlaps McNeil. I doubt many players get more crosses into the box for us than Taylor.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:16 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:51 pm
Bit of competition for places now which is great. Lowton Taylor Collins Westwood Cornet Barnes Vydra all missing v Spurs
A 2nd string XI of Hennesey, Lowton, Taylor, Collins, Long, Westwood, Stephens, JBG, Cornet, Barnes, Vydra!!
These 2 users liked this post: FCBurnley MT03ALG

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:44 pm

Good to read a positive report again, and to put it into perspective we beat a Spurs side who've completed the double over Man City this season, and we thoroughly deserved all 3 points again, 2 brilliant performances over the past few days, and what a difference these 2 wins have made to our season.