Similar moment for club to Stan leaving

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Similar moment for club to Stan leaving

Post by cblantfanclub » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:01 pm

I remember leaving the Turf late after the final game of the season against Sunderland with Stan knowing his contract was not to be renewed. It had been an emotional end to his time as manager as he waved to an appreciative crowd almost in tears.
Walking up what is now Harry Potts Way we saw Barry Kilby and his wife. As we drew alongside he gave us a weak smile and my friend said to him words to the effect of, don’t worry Barry you’ve done the right thing.
His wife turned to us and said thanks for that it’s caused him a lot of anxiety.
Although we sadly won’t be able to show our appreciation in the same way this feels like a similar moment.
Although there were to be lot of ups and downs it marked an upturn in our outlook as a club. One can only hope this is a similar change of outlook as football has changed, especially in the last ten years and Burnley is going to find it ever more difficult to compete in these times without some sort of vision we have yet to see. Maybe the time in the evolution of football to a money trumps all game means the days of going against the odds without big money backers is over or just maybe, in the words of our ex manager, we can find different ways to win. (though Chester Perry always manages to terrify me)
I don’t know if it’s vision or panic this time but hope it’s the latter.
As a fan you hope for the best and that’s about all you can do. I hope this is more about resetting our whole position and future vision than just a managerial change. Of course I might well turn out to be totally deluded it’s part of being a fan. The whole Newcastle saga is enough to extinguish most hope – but hey I’m an illogical fan.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5172 times

Re: Similar moment for club to Stan leaving

Post by Rowls » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:04 pm

I can't help but think the exact opposite.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:09 pm

It's really not though. That side under Stan got battered by sides already relegated. 7-2 against Rotherham anyone?

Some of our performances this season have been lacking bite at key times but we've rarely thrown one in like that side did

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:11 pm

I recall travelling to White Hart Lane for the Milk Cup Round 5 match against Spurs on 19/01/1983, picked up my copy of the London Evening Standard to read in the Stop Press that Burnley had parted company with manager Brian Miller. We beat Spurs handsomely that night so we can only hope and pray for the same level of impact.

Beagle
Been Liked: 195 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by Beagle » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:12 pm

Barry Kilby was a good chairman who cared deeply about our football club and is a legend round these parts, it will have hurt him seeing Stan go but the latter was given a fitting goodbye and it was probably time. These cowboys are not Barry Kilby.
These 4 users liked this post: CoolClaret BurnleyFC FCBurnley Dark Cloud

spt_claret
Been Liked: 744 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:13 pm

Stan left at the end of the season for one thing.
Not 2 days before a match with 8 to go.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2254 times
Has Liked: 2167 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:15 pm

Beagle wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:12 pm
Barry Kilby was a good chairman who cared deeply about our football club and is a legend round these parts, it will have hurt him seeing Stan go but the latter was given a fitting goodbye and it was probably time. These cowboys are not Barry Kilby.
/thread

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1163 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:17 pm

He leaves in totally different circumstances but I think it's more likely to be a similar moment to Coyle leaving. As in we very quickly see the difference between being out of form and having a crap manager.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1700 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:17 pm

We need to have faith in a new coach (we have a good track record other than Laws). The new Leeds manager instantly realised that Bielsa was so over training them that they were getting injured and mentally not right for the next game. He has changed training and look at their results and morale. I think a new manager will uncover a few skeletons on things we did badly, and things we never tried. Interesting times
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1163 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:18 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:17 pm
We need to have faith in a new coach (we have a good track record other than Laws). The new Leeds manager instantly realised that Bielsa was so over training them that they were getting injured and mentally not right for the next game. He has changed training and look at their results and morale. I think a new manager will uncover a few skeletons on things we did badly, and things we never tried. Interesting times
There is no track record. There's nobody at the club who has appointed a Burnley manager before.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:37 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:18 pm
There is no track record. There's nobody at the club who has appointed a Burnley manager before.
Mike G and John B are still on the board.